Ohio Wesleyan University Employee Reviews

Worked as student worker
Circulation Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJuly 7, 2017
Workplace culture was fantastic and frequently offered understanding management that accommodated student workers. Departments expect professionalism from adults, which if you meet these qualifications and expectations you'll have no issue.
Enjoyed working with the college students .
Server and Kitchen Help (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 23, 2017
I enjoyed my position at Chartwells and enjoyed serving the college students who frequented the dining facility. My supervisor was pleasant to work for and the workplace culture was positive.
Pros
Free Meals, friendly customers
Cons
No work hours when school ended in spring.
Fun workplace and good balance with schoolwork, but poor management.
Food and Beverage Attendant (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHMay 26, 2017
I had to quit due to unfair treatment and poor management, but since I made a list of grievances and supplied them to a higher-up, the situation has been dealt with since I left. Communication in general was poor in my experience. However, money is money.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor treatment
work schedule was very open to change when my schooling came into play
Assistant to Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHMay 9, 2017
I worked for the athletic director, who had me run errands or work on the athletic website. One time he even had me take pictures around Ohio Wesleyan for a presentation to all the athletes. Working there was always fun, and constantly changing.
A rewarding experience.
Public Safety and C.I.T. Officer (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 29, 2017
I worked as an Officer for the OWU Department of Public Safety in an educational institution of higher learning. In addition to protecting property, faculty and students, I was able to participate in providing new programs for the students.The university strives to assist others in improving themselves.As far as management is concerned, there was an open door policy to address concerns and ideas to improve operational efficiency. The hardest part of the job was working alone without protection until local law enforcement arrives in cases where there were incidents of assaults, breaking and entering and encounters with violent offenders. On most ten hour evening shifts, there was only one officer on duty. The most enjoyable part of the interaction with faculty and student groups on campus during their programs.
Pros
Working together and contributing to the college.
Cons
Of all of the colleges in the state of Ohio we were paid the least, and working alone without protection.
I'm a student
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 11, 2017
I feel like it is a lot more group over individual. You aren't respected as much if you aren't in the department especially if you used to be. Cliquey environment.
Was in complete control
Director of Athletic Web Streaming (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJanuary 4, 2017
As Director of Athletic Web Streaming, I was in charge of making sure students were trained and prepared for the job. Communication was a crucial part of making sure things ran smoothly. Quick thinking to find solutions for problems that came up was also very important. Reported to the Athletic Director.
Great experience and professional
TELECOM SERVICE MGR (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHNovember 13, 2016
Worked over 20 years. Very professional and friendly atmosphere. No micro management and oprtunity to expand education. Very family atmosphere. Maintained communication eqipment along with alarm and security. Also maintained CATV system.
Pros
Very professional
Ohio Wesleyan
Assistant Coach (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 18, 2016
Typical day at Ohio Wesleyan was very relaxed, however I worked really hard to prepare myself for the future. I have met some of my best friends at Ohio Wesleyan and I am very appreciative for the opportunity. The hardest part of the job was the low amount of pay
Pros
free food
Cons
cost of living
Respectable and friendly workplace
Independent Study Research (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 8, 2016
At Ohio Wesleyan I worked closely with my professor and we developed a good rapport. The other professors and student researchers were respectful and sociable as well as very focused. I worked 6-12 hour days (I made my own schedule) 5-7 days a week and was very happy to do so.
Working at Ohio Wesleyan University
Costume Studio Manager (Current Employee) –  Deklaware, OHMarch 23, 2016
Productive and enjoy working with students. Upbeat learning environment. I enjoy my job. I learn something new every day.

I have worked for OWU since 2002 and enjoy working in a learning capacity. I enjoy working on multiple shows a year with a variety of topics which impacts students interests and learning.

OWU is not only a University but a campus with students who interact and lend a hand to the Delaware community. Students are very involved with community out reach.
Pros
constantly learning something new
Cons
only work during the academic year that consists of 34 weeks
My University
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHMarch 15, 2016
I am a psychology tutor and hold office hours twice a week for two hours. I have acquired strong leadership skills from being a tutor. The hardest part of the job is when no one comes to office hours. But it all balances out when fellow students tell me how much I have helped them in psychology.
Great laboratory conditions with personable, accommodating staff
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHDecember 28, 2015
Regardless of lab section, the instructors in the chemistry department are personable, friendly and very understanding of busy student schedules. They will work hard to make sure that working as a teacher's assistant can be done regardless of schedule.
Rigorous learning environment as doctoral candidate/fellow
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Delaware OHNovember 22, 2015
Best time of my intellectual life was as a doctoral candidate/fellow at Ohio University in Nonfiction Creative Writing. Enjoyed engaging discussions with peers and valuable support by various mentors. Very challenging five-year program, and one of the best of its kind in the country, originally started by the director of my dissertation who remains an exemplary scholar in the field of nonfiction studies.
Pros
Intellectual collegiality
Cons
Graduate student annual stipends are very low. But that's graduate school.
Great Campus
Parasitological Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 29, 2015
Hours were very flexible for research. Along with researching the topic, conducting the experiments and studying for other classes, my time was filled. However the professors and other staff were very helpful.
I'd recommend OWU to anyone
Skilled Trades Foreman (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHMarch 31, 2015
Great employer that provides exposure to many diverse and interesting people. Really "plugged" into the local community. Treats employees with a lot of respect and dignity.
Pros
Great benefits, including tuition. Good community partner. Plent of young and energetic people to keep you engaged
Cons
Not many. You can definately make lemonade out of the lemons around here
Nice place to work.
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHFebruary 27, 2015
Excellent place to work, students and staff are like family.
Hardest part of my job was seeing a student not being able to stay at school. Love the enteraction with the students they were all nice.
Pros
No two days were the same!
Cons
Most weekends you worked 16 or 17 hour shift
Loved being a Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Summer Science Research ProgramFebruary 11, 2015
My advisor knows what she is talking about - I learned all of the basic field collection techniques that were commonly used in field surveys. With her I learned what types of measurements were taken in large studies and how to manage large data sets over multiple years. She herself is simply an amazing wealth of information and is 100% willing to impart her knowledge onto anyone willing to listen.
I also got the opportunity to work with some middle school students while working on her 10+ year project about the invasive species, Alliaria petiolata (Garlic Mustard). This opportunity taught me how to give a presentation in front of a lay audience and how to interact with children to help them understand the world around them.
Pros
immersive, advancing, informative
Cons
temporary
The Work was a lot of fun and educational.
Residential assistant (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHSeptember 1, 2014
I learnt a lot by working as a residential assistant at Ohio wesleyan university.
Good people and good benefits
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHMay 19, 2014
New management has made lower ranking employees feel under appreciated, and the pay is below average. For the most part the people are good and there is little supervision. There are good benefits including a lot of time off and shorter summer hours.
Pros
Great benefits, time off, good people, work with little supervision, shorter summer hours
Cons
Questionable new management, below average pay, sometimes high work volume for small department