Ohio Wesleyan University Employee Reviews

Respectable and friendly workplace
Independent Study Research (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 8, 2016
At Ohio Wesleyan I worked closely with my professor and we developed a good rapport. The other professors and student researchers were respectful and sociable as well as very focused. I worked 6-12 hour days (I made my own schedule) 5-7 days a week and was very happy to do so.
Working at Ohio Wesleyan University
Costume Studio Manager (Current Employee) –  Deklaware, OHMarch 23, 2016
Productive and enjoy working with students. Upbeat learning environment. I enjoy my job. I learn something new every day.

I have worked for OWU since 2002 and enjoy working in a learning capacity. I enjoy working on multiple shows a year with a variety of topics which impacts students interests and learning.

OWU is not only a University but a campus with students who interact and lend a hand to the Delaware community. Students are very involved with community out reach.
Pros
constantly learning something new
Cons
only work during the academic year that consists of 34 weeks
My University
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHMarch 15, 2016
I am a psychology tutor and hold office hours twice a week for two hours. I have acquired strong leadership skills from being a tutor. The hardest part of the job is when no one comes to office hours. But it all balances out when fellow students tell me how much I have helped them in psychology.
Great laboratory conditions with personable, accommodating staff
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHDecember 28, 2015
Regardless of lab section, the instructors in the chemistry department are personable, friendly and very understanding of busy student schedules. They will work hard to make sure that working as a teacher's assistant can be done regardless of schedule.
Rigorous learning environment as doctoral candidate/fellow
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Delaware OHNovember 22, 2015
Best time of my intellectual life was as a doctoral candidate/fellow at Ohio University in Nonfiction Creative Writing. Enjoyed engaging discussions with peers and valuable support by various mentors. Very challenging five-year program, and one of the best of its kind in the country, originally started by the director of my dissertation who remains an exemplary scholar in the field of nonfiction studies.
Pros
Intellectual collegiality
Cons
Graduate student annual stipends are very low. But that's graduate school.
Great Campus
Parasitological Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHApril 29, 2015
Hours were very flexible for research. Along with researching the topic, conducting the experiments and studying for other classes, my time was filled. However the professors and other staff were very helpful.
I'd recommend OWU to anyone
Skilled Trades Foreman (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHMarch 31, 2015
Great employer that provides exposure to many diverse and interesting people. Really "plugged" into the local community. Treats employees with a lot of respect and dignity.
Pros
Great benefits, including tuition. Good community partner. Plent of young and energetic people to keep you engaged
Cons
Not many. You can definately make lemonade out of the lemons around here
Nice place to work.
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHFebruary 27, 2015
Excellent place to work, students and staff are like family.
Hardest part of my job was seeing a student not being able to stay at school. Love the enteraction with the students they were all nice.
Pros
no two days were the same!
Cons
most weekends you worked 16 or 17 hour shift
Loved being a Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Summer Science Research ProgramFebruary 11, 2015
My advisor knows what she is talking about - I learned all of the basic field collection techniques that were commonly used in field surveys. With her I learned what types of measurements were taken in large studies and how to manage large data sets over multiple years. She herself is simply an amazing wealth of information and is 100% willing to impart her knowledge onto anyone willing to listen.
I also got the opportunity to work with some middle school students while working on her 10+ year project about the invasive species, Alliaria petiolata (Garlic Mustard). This opportunity taught me how to give a presentation in front of a lay audience and how to interact with children to help them understand the world around them.
Pros
immersive, advancing, informative
Cons
temporary
The Work was a lot of fun and educational.
Residential assistant (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHSeptember 1, 2014
I learnt a lot by working as a residential assistant at Ohio wesleyan university.

Want to know more about Ohio Wesleyan University?

Ask a question
Good people and good benefits
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHMay 19, 2014
New management has made lower ranking employees feel under appreciated, and the pay is below average. For the most part the people are good and there is little supervision. There are good benefits including a lot of time off and shorter summer hours.
Pros
great benefits, time off, good people, work with little supervision, shorter summer hours
Cons
questionable new management, below average pay, sometimes high work volume for small department
Great Experience and Fun School
Helped team to four conference championships (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHMay 15, 2014
Had a great time balancing out my academic and athletic career at Ohio Wesleyan. I also feel they prepared me to encounter most of life's challenges.
Easy and fun job
Video Board Director (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHDecember 1, 2013
I learned a new computer skill that I would have never expected in college. I love watching sports games and filming them just adds to the excitement. Also using my skills to create animations that pump up the fans is a fun way to get everyone excited for any sport.
Pros
free lunch, easy hours.
Work Study
Student Involvement Office (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHSeptember 12, 2013
Decent work study job for a college student. It gave me extra cash in college. Not great pay, and not a lot of hours, but good workplace experience.
Although this was not the field I thought I would go into, I saw how I could use my abilities on a college campus
Assistant Director of Student Activities (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJuly 11, 2013
I learned that the field of Higher Education is a profession that I would be able to grow in my abilities and continue to be challenged as responsibilities were given to me.
Fun place and good staff.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 23, 2013
A typical day consisted of processing invoices, and balancing accounts. Learned the process of receiving bills, and printing out checks. My co-workers were really friendly and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was probably filing of paperwork in order of date. The most enjoyable was interacting with my co-workers.
Great benefits
Assistant Director of Admission (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHMarch 27, 2013
Recruitment and on campus programs. Lot's of travel involved and review of applications.
Pros
environment and cost of living
Cons
leadership
Constent work and friendly students
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHDecember 29, 2012
A typical day at work would consist of starting the day with gathering all the trash out of all the frat houses. After all houses where emptied of the garbage I would clean restrooms from top to bottom walls sinks floors toilets showers. Repeating this on each level. There are four levels to each building and I had three buildings to myself. I would dust sweep mop all other areas of the houses. I learned from this job learning a routine will get the job done successfully by the end of the shift. Management was always a phone call away. If there was ever a problem they managed to have someone come fix the problem rather quickly. The hardest part of the job i would have to say was the monday after a long party weekend for the students. The houses are usually trashed. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have students that are willing to help maintain a clean home, offer to help take the trash out and leave notes on my door telling me how much they appreciated me and the things i have done.
Pros
a 6am to 2:30 shift where i had the rest of the day with my children.
Cons
the only con i have to this job is the fact that it was temporary work.
OWU is the worst
TEAM CAPTAIN (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHOctober 17, 2012
Glorified private high school. NOT worth the private school tuition. Athletic department is a joke.
Worked for Admissions Office
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHSeptember 19, 2012
Student tour guide. Great environment. No benefits since I was a student.

4.3