OhioGuidestone

OhioGuidestone Employee Reviews

Exciting work place
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 22, 2016
A wonderful place to learn about becoming a great CPST.
Very knowledgeable, hands on training and great supervisory staff to answer questions about providing quality service to the community
Horrible place
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 7, 2016
My co-workers are great and very supportive. The higher ups are horrible. They let the children have a run of the school. They bite kick and throw chairs. They climb on lockers, and scream to the top of their lungs.
They're almost no consequences for the kids. They fight each other everyday. They hit teachers and throw desk on their feet. Everyday is like a war zone. The administration cares nothing about the employees. They talk about them and gossip. They talk about the parents. Its just a horrible work environment.
Pros
Co workers are great
Cons
Principles, and administrators are a nightmare
Caring Company
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dover, OHAugust 3, 2016
The company cares about the employees and clients. The company helps their clients to achieve a better life for themselves.
Good
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 2, 2016
Really understand productivity and you will do fine. Staff is great but can be stressful if you do not balance work with personal.
love it
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 26, 2016
I love working there, the pay sucks. Please are super nice there. If they pay then I would stay. its been a good experience
Pros
flex hours
Cons
pay
It's not the same place it used to be
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJuly 25, 2016
I started working at Guidestone when it was Berea Children's Home. It was a much better place then. In the last couple years it has gotten worse and worse. I work in the same building as a lot of the management and see some of the management everyday. The management ignores me, I don't think most of them even know my name. I'm actually glad about that because the people they do talk to they are not very nice to. One of them actually laughs at people when they suggest ideas to him. It's not the nice, family type place it used to be.
Pros
perks from being here a long time
Cons
management, attitudes
Very Toxic Culture
Program support (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 15, 2016
The people who work directly with clients at Ohio Guidestone do good work. But the culture is one of the worst I've ever seen. They have instituted a culture that has backfired on them, and people are downright nasty to each other. The management is entitled and rude. Employees are treated like they are disposable - and more and more work is constantly required from them. The leadership is out of touch with reality, and often tells people "this is how we've always done it." New ideas are not only dismissed, but the people who bring them forth are looked at with disdain. People yell at eachother a lot. People blame eachother a lot.
If you value your self-worth, your time and your sanity, don't work here.
Cons
Culture, Management, Pay, Respect
Very Stressful Place To Work
In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 27, 2016
Ohio Guidestone does not care about its employees or their safety. All they care about is making money and some of the care given to clients is good but the front line staff are not given the support by management/supervisors that is needed to be successful. The hours are long and hard, the environments in the homes are not always the greatest and the equipment given to complete documentation is sub-standard. The co-workers were great, but mid and upper management were often rude and condescending!! The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients and the flexibility. Their productivity standards for their In-Home program given the travel time and cancellation and no-show rate is unreasonable!!!!!!!!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
The Managment and High Productivity Standards
Great Place but Tough Field
MENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHApril 19, 2016
Ohio Guidestone has proven to be a great place to work. They have good benefits and a great atmosphere to grow. However, mental health in general does not pay very well and can be very stressful but this company does a great job and assisting their workers through those aspects of the job.
Pros
Free training, great management
Cons
Tough clients, limited pay
Fun Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 16, 2016
This job was very influential in my decision to become a teacher. I was able to connect with students and mentor them. My co-workers kept my spirits up in tough times and taught me what I needed to learn. The typical day at this job had it's ups and downs but at the end of the day was well worth it.
Pros
The Experience
Cons
Temporary Job
fun work place sometimes
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJanuary 29, 2016
Ohio guidestone is a good stepping stone for criminal justice or psych students. depending on where you are placed you might have a lot of down time or be very active.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
downtime, cant always get hours for part time
Very busy, fast paced environment overall good place to work
CONTROLLER (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJanuary 13, 2016
OhioGuidestone is a non-profit organization that offers many different services to many of Ohio communities. They receive funding from many different sources and require a lot attention to detail. Overall its a very busy place, but the staff and management are great to work for. Compensation is the lower end due to their funding source and restrictions of funds.
Pros
Strong reputation
Cons
Lower compensation
its a ok job
Assistant Manager Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJanuary 13, 2016
job is ok if you love kids a dily work would be differnt becuase of the type of kids you deal with in the home and also in the community
Pros
free time
Cons
Pros and Cons...Just like any job
In home therapist (Former Employee) –  Northeast OhioDecember 10, 2015
My time at Ohio Guidestone was somewhat mixed. Just like any social service agency, there are pros and cons. You have to figure out what you can deal with and what are deal breakers. My days were spent going from home to home, possibly to a school , child services, or juvenile court. No two days were the same. However, it normally started early (with parents calling me on my agency cell phone before 8:00 am) and ended late (usually my last appointment was over my 8:00 pm). I very much enjoyed my clients. I love mental health services and helping others. However, I felt like I was in this hustle on a daily basis to get enough people to meet with me. At Guidestone, productivity is king....It doesn't matter if you are an amazing therapist, if you don't hit your numbers monthly, you are put on a performance plan or possibly terminated. You have to make up any time missed if you are sick, have agency holidays, or take vacation days (which you have earned and need to take to prevent burn out). This is not the fault of middle management but the "C" level executives that have been out of the field for many years. I felt that it was the expectation that my clients should be a bigger priority in my life than my own children and family. This "con" that was a deal breaker. There were also times in which my personal safety was not seemingly a big priority. Also, pay was low; however, medical benefits are amazing. Flexibility of schedule is great for those without children. I had some amazing supervisors and one that was horrible. However, even good supervisors cannot make up for a bad work/life  more... balance and bad policy. I feel that my dedication to my clients was taken advantage of. You cannot treat your employees poorly and expect them to stick around for the sake of "the cause."  less
Pros
Great medical benefits, flexibility of schedule
Cons
Poor work/life balance: especially if you have kids, productivity requirements, not being able to take time off, safety of self while in others homes
Flexible
School Services/In Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 30, 2015
I would still be there if the pay was comparable. The job was flexible and I was able to do what I needed for myself. The staff were supportive and understanding overall.
Pros
flexible
Cons
poor salary compensation
Rewarding experience that involves helping young people.
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHOctober 14, 2015
Work can be very challenging and rewarding. Responsibilities include providing a safe and structured environment for children ages 8 - 17. A typical day on second shift includes picking clients up from school, implementing self-esteem and independent living skills groups, providing meals and leisure activities. Third shift duties include monitoring the clients, awaken them for morning hygiene, provide breakfast, and take them to school.
Great programs just not for me
Intern (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHOctober 8, 2015
They are great with kids and go above and beyond to help children and families. As an intern and working through a master's program, they had a lot of additional requirements such group supervision meetings that were not beneficial to me personally and took away from my studies. Great employees. Some micromanagement.
Pros
Freedom of what to work on with children
Cons
Rushed in between clients
Helping families help themselves
Case Manager/ Qualified Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2015
Overall the company is a good place to work, but the company will continue to lose good people due to the management skills and lack of personalities of certain people in management.
Pros
Flexable work hours
Cons
work moral
Great Place to work
Residential Advocate (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHSeptember 15, 2015
OhioGuidestone is a wonderful company with many great things to offer! Management is great and is really open to new ideas/suggestions. I learned a lot from OhioGuidestone like how to effectively communicate and how to adapt in different environments.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not a good employment experience
Support staff (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioAugust 6, 2015
This is not a healthy place to work. I recently resigned after many years as a support staff employee because the culture of this place has changed since transitioning from Berea Children's Home to Ohio Guidestone. Management is unavailable and secretive, with supervisors being allowed to come and go whenever they want (all the time while regular employees have to document everything they do during the day). The pay schedule is terrible, with yearly raises that sometimes don't even amount to 20 cents per hour. Benefits are excellent- generous vacation and sick time. The culture at OG is also bad, with employees being forced to adhere to a stated doctrine that does not even begin to address the problems employees face on a day-to-day basis. All in all, I do not regret working for OG, as the experience has helped me to understand what I don't want in an employer, but I would not recommend the company to anyone at this point in time.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of others, generous benefits, flexible scheduling that allows for a good work/life balance
Cons
Management is non-responsive to workplace issues, culture is forced and suspicious, terrible pay and raise structure, very little room for advancement as a support staff employee

2.8