OhioGuidestone Employee Reviews in United States

Very busy, fast paced environment overall good place to work
CONTROLLER (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJanuary 13, 2016
OhioGuidestone is a non-profit organization that offers many different services to many of Ohio communities. They receive funding from many different sources and require a lot attention to detail. Overall its a very busy place, but the staff and management are great to work for. Compensation is the lower end due to their funding source and restrictions of funds.
Pros
Strong reputation
Cons
Lower compensation
Not a good employment experience
Support staff (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioAugust 6, 2015
This is not a healthy place to work. I recently resigned after many years as a support staff employee because the culture of this place has changed since transitioning from Berea Children's Home to Ohio Guidestone. Management is unavailable and secretive, with supervisors being allowed to come and go whenever they want (all the time while regular employees have to document everything they do during the day). The pay schedule is terrible, with yearly raises that sometimes don't even amount to 20 cents per hour. Benefits are excellent- generous vacation and sick time. The culture at OG is also bad, with employees being forced to adhere to a stated doctrine that does not even begin to address the problems employees face on a day-to-day basis. All in all, I do not regret working for OG, as the experience has helped me to understand what I don't want in an employer, but I would not recommend the company to anyone at this point in time.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of others, generous benefits, flexible scheduling that allows for a good work/life balance
Cons
Management is non-responsive to workplace issues, culture is forced and suspicious, terrible pay and raise structure, very little room for advancement as a support staff employee
Flexible
School Services/In Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 30, 2015
I would still be there if the pay was comparable. The job was flexible and I was able to do what I needed for myself. The staff were supportive and understanding overall.
Pros
flexible
Cons
poor salary compensation
Pros and Cons...Just like any job
In home therapist (Former Employee) –  Northeast OhioDecember 10, 2015
My time at Ohio Guidestone was somewhat mixed. Just like any social service agency, there are pros and cons. You have to figure out what you can deal with and what are deal breakers. My days were spent going from home to home, possibly to a school , child services, or juvenile court. No two days were the same. However, it normally started early (with parents calling me on my agency cell phone before 8:00 am) and ended late (usually my last appointment was over my 8:00 pm). I very much enjoyed my clients. I love mental health services and helping others. However, I felt like I was in this hustle on a daily basis to get enough people to meet with me. At Guidestone, productivity is king....It doesn't matter if you are an amazing therapist, if you don't hit your numbers monthly, you are put on a performance plan or possibly terminated. You have to make up any time missed if you are sick, have agency holidays, or take vacation days (which you have earned and need to take to prevent burn out). This is not the fault of middle management but the "C" level executives that have been out of the field for many years. I felt that it was the expectation that my clients should be a bigger priority in my life than my own children and family. This "con" that was a deal breaker. There were also times in which my personal safety was not seemingly a big priority. Also, pay was low; however, medical benefits are amazing. Flexibility of schedule is great for those without children. I had some amazing supervisors and one that was horrible. However, even good supervisors cannot make up for a bad work/life  more... balance and bad policy. I feel that my dedication to my clients was taken advantage of. You cannot treat your employees poorly and expect them to stick around for the sake of "the cause."  less
Pros
Great medical benefits, flexibility of schedule
Cons
Poor work/life balance: especially if you have kids, productivity requirements, not being able to take time off, safety of self while in others homes
Very Stressful Place To Work
In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 27, 2016
Ohio Guidestone does not care about its employees or their safety. All they care about is making money and some of the care given to clients is good but the front line staff are not given the support by management/supervisors that is needed to be successful. The hours are long and hard, the environments in the homes are not always the greatest and the equipment given to complete documentation is sub-standard. The co-workers were great, but mid and upper management were often rude and condescending!! The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients and the flexibility. Their productivity standards for their In-Home program given the travel time and cancellation and no-show rate is unreasonable!!!!!!!!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
The Managment and High Productivity Standards
Great Place but Tough Field
MENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHApril 19, 2016
Ohio Guidestone has proven to be a great place to work. They have good benefits and a great atmosphere to grow. However, mental health in general does not pay very well and can be very stressful but this company does a great job and assisting their workers through those aspects of the job.
Pros
Free training, great management
Cons
Tough clients, limited pay
its a ok job
Assistant Manager Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJanuary 13, 2016
job is ok if you love kids a dily work would be differnt becuase of the type of kids you deal with in the home and also in the community
Pros
free time
Fun Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 16, 2016
This job was very influential in my decision to become a teacher. I was able to connect with students and mentor them. My co-workers kept my spirits up in tough times and taught me what I needed to learn. The typical day at this job had it's ups and downs but at the end of the day was well worth it.
Pros
The Experience
Cons
Temporary Job
Great Place to work
Residential Advocate (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHSeptember 15, 2015
OhioGuidestone is a wonderful company with many great things to offer! Management is great and is really open to new ideas/suggestions. I learned a lot from OhioGuidestone like how to effectively communicate and how to adapt in different environments.
Pros
Great co-workers
fun work place sometimes
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJanuary 29, 2016
Ohio guidestone is a good stepping stone for criminal justice or psych students. depending on where you are placed you might have a lot of down time or be very active.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
downtime, cant always get hours for part time
Great programs just not for me
Intern (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHOctober 8, 2015
They are great with kids and go above and beyond to help children and families. As an intern and working through a master's program, they had a lot of additional requirements such group supervision meetings that were not beneficial to me personally and took away from my studies. Great employees. Some micromanagement.
Pros
Freedom of what to work on with children
Cons
Rushed in between clients
Rewarding experience that involves helping young people.
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHOctober 14, 2015
Work can be very challenging and rewarding. Responsibilities include providing a safe and structured environment for children ages 8 - 17. A typical day on second shift includes picking clients up from school, implementing self-esteem and independent living skills groups, providing meals and leisure activities. Third shift duties include monitoring the clients, awaken them for morning hygiene, provide breakfast, and take them to school.
Helping families help themselves
Case Manager/ Qualified Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2015
Overall the company is a good place to work, but the company will continue to lose good people due to the management skills and lack of personalities of certain people in management.
Pros
Flexable work hours
Cons
work moral
Great Place to Work
Regional Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHApril 22, 2014
I enjoy working for OhioGuidestone! Every day I have new experiences and I grow and learn. They have amazing staff that work throughout the agency. I have had the privilege of working with our staff at our Berea, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas (PFCS and Harbor House), and Columbus locations. I believe the staff are treated well and have a great opportunity to grow and advance in their careers. The managers that I have worked for have all been very understanding and supportive. I feel that I can go to my supervisor about any question that I may have with my work without feeling pressure that I should have known the answer already. The agency offers great benefits and incentives to their staff. I feel that my job is not just an ordinary job. I feel that I am appreciated for my hard work and I am valued. OhioGuidestone is a non-profit agency and the pay for some positions may at times be low - but you need to understand that is because the programs throughout the agency are funded by grants and many generous donations. I hope this helps anyone who may be wondering what it is like to work for OhioGuidestone.
Pros
flexability, heathcare, team & supervisor support
Cons
i have none to list
Life changing
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 18, 2015
A typical workday consisted of me trying to locate my clients, whether through phone calls or home visit attempts in an effort to reduce infant mortality. While the shift was flexible, the work was demanding and my time became slightly unmanageable. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep it professional when you create such a personal relationship with the clients and their children, such as leaving their problems at work until you are back on schedule the following day. The most enjoyable was knowing that you are making a difference in the community.
Pros
flexibilty
Cons
work was constant even after shift was over
Co-Staff are the greatest, literally have your back. Clients are difficult
RESIDENTIAL TREATMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  BereaJuly 15, 2014
Teams of your co-staff are your lifeline-sometimes quite literally.
Clients can be violent and target staff to attack or manipulate, staff cohesiveness is the only thing that makes this job worthwhile. Pay is small, as it is a nonprofit, and there are no benefits to PTOC, there is a great need for a staff advocate for safe working conditions and safety in general. There is a lot of room for improvement.
Good for entry-level job
School-Based Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 21, 2013
I worked for about 2 years with the agency and there are many pros and cons. They do push for productivity so if you don't mind traveling and working various hours I guess then the job is for you. If you are looking for an outpatient position or are looking for a stable schedule, then look elsewhere. The executives are striving for a "business model" approach; they push for productivity, yet, they don't fully understand the challenges of the job.

It's nice to have a netbook to use to do concurrent documentation, but there are always problems with internet connections that it becomes more frustrating than anything. Although the benefits are fairly decent, they still don't like to approve vacation days, even if it's 1 or 2 days! Basically the PTO is nice, only if you're able to use it.

Some of the supervisors, frankly, have no idea how to provide clinical interventions for employees. And most of that is because they have been out of the field for years. Constant change in supervisors happen quite often with many employees, so if you're looking for a mentor, don't even bother with this place!
Pros
flexible schedule, health benefits
Cons
lack of communication, so-so starting pay, supervisors pushing productivity to the point where you have to take additional cases.
Average for industry experiencing change for better , hopeful
Mental Health Specialist/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHJuly 16, 2012
Promoted quickly but then experienced downsizing afterwords and layoffs. Recommendation: more structure with training and hiring process. Pros: Dedicated staff, Cons: inconsistent interdepartmental relations, Low wages, poor compensation and lack of benefits for high risk job injury
Need better Management
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohioJuly 6, 2015
This is an ok place to work, hard to move up and get full-time position and really no reason for them not to. Did not know many co-workers but the one's I knew were nice. Enjoyed working with the clients but as a company they need to promote more than friends.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
Not enough hours to work as part-time
Great Company to work for
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 8, 2013
Upper management was supportive, benefits were amazing and co-workers were very helpful.