OhioGuidestone

OhioGuidestone Employer Reviews

OhioGuidestone is like the "Walmart" of social services
Therapist (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: no life work balance, you are always working, burned out.
OhioGuidestone is like the "Walmart" of social services. When OhioGuidestone was Berea Children's Home they cared about their clients, as well as the well being of the employees. OhioGuidestone only cares about numbers and the bottom line, forget clients welfare and staff. Direct care staff cannot take vacation time, which is 4 weeks a year, unless there is a "bank" of productivity, meaning even on holidays you are expected to have hours and have worked. Supervisors can take off over 2 weeks at a time without penalty. Prior workers who have even had sick leave were written up because they did not make productivity.

Another reviewer stated that they felt like a "traveling salesman" because at times you have to "bribe" clients to meet, one coworker would buy presents for all her clients at Christmas to get her clients to meet, others gift cards or food. The agency also would give clients turkeys for Thanksgiving, clients would expect this, they stopped in 2014 so then clients would decide not to meet. You do not make enough money for this.

I love working with the clients, helping them, but sad that OhioGuidestone does not care. When a client is sick with the flu or has mono, bed bugs or roaches, OhioGuidestone expects the worker to still go to the house to get their productivity.

Very sad that an agency has changed so much from its original perspective to an agency where working at Walmart seems better. I really miss Berea Children's Home, they actually cared and helped people.
workforce instructor
Workforce Instructor/ Case Manager (Former Employee), Painesville, OHDecember 29, 2014
Pros: making a difference in others lives
Cons: terrible management/employee relations
The work was rewarding, but there were no room for advancement and the management was not supportive, encouraging or sensitive to employees needs and concerns.
First rate operation from top to bottom
Monitor (Former Employee), Berea, OHNovember 5, 2014
Pros: an opportunity to take initiative and be self-motivated. i worked the overnight shift.
Cons: when i was on duty, there was no chance to leave the property.
The total staff acted as surrogate parents for our clients.There is no higher calling or more important job.
I can't yet say.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee), Berea, OHAugust 25, 2014
Pros: the company seems to employ many people that are passionate about caring for children
I only recently begun training at the time of this review and so I am uncertain as to whether or not Ohioguidestone is a decent place to work.
Co-Staff are the greatest, literally have your back. Clients are difficult
RESIDENTIAL TREATMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), BereaJuly 15, 2014
Teams of your co-staff are your lifeline-sometimes quite literally.
Clients can be violent and target staff to attack or manipulate, staff cohesiveness is the only thing that makes this job worthwhile. Pay is small, as it is a nonprofit, and there are no benefits to PTOC, there is a great need for a staff advocate for safe working conditions and safety in general. There is a lot of room for improvement.
Great Place to Work
Regional Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), New Philadelphia, OHApril 22, 2014
Pros: flexability, heathcare, team & supervisor support
Cons: i have none to list
I enjoy working for OhioGuidestone! Every day I have new experiences and I grow and learn. They have amazing staff that work throughout the agency. I have had the privilege of working with our staff at our Berea, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas (PFCS and Harbor House), and Columbus locations. I believe the staff are treated well and have a great opportunity to grow and advance in their careers. The managers that I have worked for have all been very understanding and supportive. I feel that I can go to my supervisor about any question that I may have with my work without feeling pressure that I should have known the answer already. The agency offers great benefits and incentives to their staff. I feel that my job is not just an ordinary job. I feel that I am appreciated for my hard work and I am valued. OhioGuidestone is a non-profit agency and the pay for some positions may at times be low - but you need to understand that is because the programs throughout the agency are funded by grants and many generous donations. I hope this helps anyone who may be wondering what it is like to work for OhioGuidestone.
Don't want to hire full time employees
Mentor job position (Former Employee), Columbus, OhioApril 9, 2014
The Columbus office offers very poor pay for part time employees but does not want to hire individuals full time. Gives very vague answers for their decision to not hire full time even though part time job was offered.
NO JOB SECURITY
Residential Advocate (Former Employee), New Philadelphia, OHMarch 4, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: unusally high staff turn over, management style and treatment of staff, general lack of the feeling of care for clients by management.
Ohioguidestone was not the problem. But they did not look at why there was so much turn around in employees at Harbor House in New Philadelphia. Management was very poor and questionable in their practices with staff and clients. Most of the management has changed but the real problem is still there. If you want to work there don't let your resume get cold as you will not be there long. Average about one firing a month in the course of a year. Treats staff like they are stupid and expects them to know everything without telling them. Not a place that seems to want clients to recover from drugs and/or alcohol.
Challenging, but great place to work
Maternal Depression Therapist (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: gret benefits, good culture, good management
Cons: social work is a tough field
OhioGuidestone does great work with really tough clients. The work is challenging, because the clients are challenging, but that's why I became a social worker - to help those who need it.

The organization itself though, is great. The culture is positive, and upper management works to take care of staff to keep it that way. Their pay is OK, but the benefits are really good - something that's often overlooked, but much needed! My supervisor is always available if I need her, and goes to extra lengths to help with my more difficult cases.

If you really want to help people - especially young families, this is the place to do it!
layoffs
treatment Specialist (Former Employee), barea ohioNovember 20, 2013
Pros: the youth
Cons: layoffs
The third shift was great because my team i was working with but i did get laid off unexpectedly. The pay was very low so if your considering working there just know your at risk of being laid off at any given time.
There is a universal commitment to providing service but there seems to be little concern for staff.
Treatment Team Leader (Current Employee), Berea, OHAugust 28, 2013
Pros: there are fun events for staff.
Cons: low pay and no tuition assistance.
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments and coordinating services for clients served.

My co-workers are hard workers who are dedicated to the people we serve.

The hardest part of the job is there is not enough hours to meet work requirements and still have time for family/personal issues.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that youcan work with the support of your team.
More like a traveling salesperson job
Maternal Depression Therapist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioMay 17, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: compensation; exposure to pests, filth, and potentially violent people
I was employed as a maternal depression therapist. The position sounds great in theory. You can work flexible hours, making your own schedule. However, you may become more like a traveling salesperson than anything else. That is, a travelling salesperson to public assistance recipients (whose lives change from day to day-that is just simple sociology). Many of the clients have severe and potentially violent mental health disorders, and not just postpartum depression and anxiety. Even once you have established a therapeutic relationship, still, how do you confront a client in her own home? You don't make money or mandatory productivity unless you can meet face-to-face with clients. Your paycheck and good standing in the position depends upon you hustling in-home therapy sessions with clients each week. And clients cancel and simply stop answering your calls VERY OFTEN. The pay is very low, considering all of the work hazards of travelling to all kinds of neighborhoods and being exposed to all kinds of environments (some clients have pests, rodents, and unfriendly dogs). Other times, there is an abusive boyfriend, controlling mother, or prying big sister or brother in the next room-so you cannot speak at ease with the client. If you are a good travelling salesperson, you can have success with this job. If not, it can become a nightmare. Look elsewhere!
Excellent Place to Work
Intern (Former Employee), Berea, OHMay 3, 2013
Pros: free on campus lunch, flexible hours
While interning at Guidestone I learned all the skills needed to be a CPST worker. I had the opportunity to work with a client population of 7-18 which is an excellent client population to work with. Management is easy to work with and always provide employees with helpful advice. The hardest part about being an intern with Guidestone was leaving all of the clients. The clients at Guidestone are wonderful to work with and almost always put a smile on your face.
Challenging work environment but obtained a variety of clinical experiences
Pre-doctoral Psychology Intern (Former Employee), Berea, OhApril 13, 2013
I was matched at Guidestone/Berea Children's Home and Family Services during the 2011 internship year in order to complete my doctorate in clinical psychology. I was received training in two major rotations, Early Childhood Mental Health and Psychological Assessment. I utilized a variety of therapeutic interventions to assist clients and their families reduce behavioral and emotional symptoms and increase attachment among caregivers and their children. I also administered, scored, and completed comprehensive reports which addressed various diagnostic issues such as mood disorders, attention problems, oppositional behaviors and delinquency. I also co-facilitated an all-male adolescent group at a residential treatment facility. Overall, the experience was extremely challenging as some personalities among superiors were less accommodating and flexible than others.
Great Company to work for
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 8, 2013
Upper management was supportive, benefits were amazing and co-workers were very helpful.
Daily Review
Community Psychiatric Support Treatment Specialist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 22, 2013
I worked daily with individuals to address needs or areas of improvement. Staff was primarily helpful when information was needed to help with these individuals. I enjoyed the secretarial staff because they helped when I couldn't access information on the personal computer that workers had to use in the field.
Good for entry-level job
School-Based Therapist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, health benefits
Cons: lack of communication, so-so starting pay, supervisors pushing productivity to the point where you have to take additional cases.
I worked for about 2 years with the agency and there are many pros and cons. They do push for productivity so if you don't mind traveling and working various hours I guess then the job is for you. If you are looking for an outpatient position or are looking for a stable schedule, then look elsewhere. The executives are striving for a "business model" approach; they push for productivity, yet, they don't fully understand the challenges of the job.

It's nice to have a netbook to use to do concurrent documentation, but there are always problems with internet connections that it becomes more frustrating than anything. Although the benefits are fairly decent, they still don't like to approve vacation days, even if it's 1 or 2 days! Basically the PTO is nice, only if you're able to use it.

Some of the supervisors, frankly, have no idea how to provide clinical interventions for employees. And most of that is because they have been out of the field for years. Constant change in supervisors happen quite often with many employees, so if you're looking for a mentor, don't even bother with this place!
Productive and fun place to work, the people are all very friendly!
AR/AP Specialist (Current Employee), Berea, OHJanuary 15, 2013
Productive and fun place to work, the people are all very friendly!
Decent job, for entry-level position...
In-Home Therapist (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHDecember 28, 2012
Pros: benefits, flexible hours, relatively short commute
Cons: low pay, potential late hours, lack of room for advancement, constant change in policies
Overall, this agency has helped me begin my career in the counseling environment. However, in the past few years, I have started seeing the "business model" approach they are currently using and how they prioritize. Numerous changes have recently taken place, which change in general at this agency is always occurring.

For counselors looking for their niche in the field, this would be a place to start, because you would be able to determine what area/field you DON'T want to work. Understanding that productivity is important for this field, it appears to be the sole factor when requesting your earned time-off. It appears the non-billable case management time is not taken into consideration, simply the productivity hours. At times I have felt more like a pencil pusher crunching numbers than a mental health therapist, simply because of this agency's nature on pressing for productivity. There have also been moments where I have considered seeing clients just for the hours despite the fact that they are progressing well, just to make sure I "get the productivity in."

The benefits started out pretty fair: great insurance package, but the starting pay is simply low. I have had jobs that required a bachelor's degree that paid more than this place! If you are one that would use the insurance benefits frequently, then I suppose that will help balance the low pay rate.

If you are looking for a supervisor who can be a mentor, then this is NOT the place for you. Just about 2 years, I have gone through at least 5 supervisors, some have even gone through 10! You can start with a supervisor – more... that suits your needs or area of interest/expertise, but that can change in a heartbeat.

Although they offer numerous positions,don't be surprised if you take on in-home clients. It appears to be their first solution for therapists with productivity issues: give you more cases! In many cases, it could lead to driving to various counties, yet, they don't see that as another challenge to meeting the productivity requirements.

This is a place where I find it difficult to see myself for a long-term career, unless they make significant changes to reduce job stress. – less
Good
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee), Berea, OHDecember 4, 2012
Great start for college graduates looking to join the field

About OhioGuidestone

We’re OhioGuidestone – built on a solid foundation of experience and expertise, rooted in faith and a legacy of serving – Read more