OhioGuidestone Employee Reviews

They are very good for the clients they serve.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2016
As for being an employee, I can only speak as someone who held entry-level positions. It may be much different for those in higher positions. But my entry-level positions involved much responsibility--more than any other job I have had, in that I was responsible for young children at the child care center and emotionally troubled teens as a respite worker. For me, the pay was too low to continue working at such a low hourly rate, almost full time and with no possibility for benefits.
Pros
The child care center was close to home
Cons
almost full time with no benefits
Best Work place EVER!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 27, 2016
I love this job and my co-workers who are always supportive! OhioGuidestone is the way to go ! Good benefits and well paid employees. Working on support system ,but the current one is well put together.
Very Toxic Culture
Program support (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 15, 2016
The people who work directly with clients at Ohio Guidestone do good work. But the culture is one of the worst I've ever seen. They have instituted a culture that has backfired on them, and people are downright nasty to each other. The management is entitled and rude. Employees are treated like they are disposable - and more and more work is constantly required from them. The leadership is out of touch with reality, and often tells people "this is how we've always done it." New ideas are not only dismissed, but the people who bring them forth are looked at with disdain. People yell at eachother a lot. People blame eachother a lot.
If you value your self-worth, your time and your sanity, don't work here.
Cons
Culture, Management, Pay, Respect
Great Place but Tough Field
MENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHApril 19, 2016
Ohio Guidestone has proven to be a great place to work. They have good benefits and a great atmosphere to grow. However, mental health in general does not pay very well and can be very stressful but this company does a great job and assisting their workers through those aspects of the job.
Pros
Free training, great management
Cons
Tough clients, limited pay
Very busy, fast paced environment overall good place to work
CONTROLLER (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJanuary 13, 2016
OhioGuidestone is a non-profit organization that offers many different services to many of Ohio communities. They receive funding from many different sources and require a lot attention to detail. Overall its a very busy place, but the staff and management are great to work for. Compensation is the lower end due to their funding source and restrictions of funds.
Pros
Strong reputation
Cons
Lower compensation
It's not the same place it used to be
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHJuly 25, 2016
I started working at Guidestone when it was Berea Children's Home. It was a much better place then. In the last couple years it has gotten worse and worse. I work in the same building as a lot of the management and see some of the management everyday. The management ignores me, I don't think most of them even know my name. I'm actually glad about that because the people they do talk to they are not very nice to. One of them actually laughs at people when they suggest ideas to him. It's not the nice, family type place it used to be.
Pros
perks from being here a long time
Cons
management, attitudes
Horrible place
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 7, 2016
My co-workers are great and very supportive. The higher ups are horrible. They let the children have a run of the school. They bite kick and throw chairs. They climb on lockers, and scream to the top of their lungs.
They're almost no consequences for the kids. They fight each other everyday. They hit teachers and throw desk on their feet. Everyday is like a war zone. The administration cares nothing about the employees. They talk about them and gossip. They talk about the parents. Its just a horrible work environment.
Pros
Co workers are great
Cons
Principles, and administrators are a nightmare
Very Stressful Place To Work
In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 27, 2016
Ohio Guidestone does not care about its employees or their safety. All they care about is making money and some of the care given to clients is good but the front line staff are not given the support by management/supervisors that is needed to be successful. The hours are long and hard, the environments in the homes are not always the greatest and the equipment given to complete documentation is sub-standard. The co-workers were great, but mid and upper management were often rude and condescending!! The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients and the flexibility. Their productivity standards for their In-Home program given the travel time and cancellation and no-show rate is unreasonable!!!!!!!!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
The Managment and High Productivity Standards
hard work
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 4, 2016
It's a grind, but a meaningful one. Work/life balance is achievable with boundaries. It is hard, but those who have the energy and balance will enjoy it.
Pros
helping people
Cons
driving everywhere
Job is for tough minded only
Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHOctober 8, 2016
A great establishment and very active, upbeat environment. Sometimes the days are long and hard. You can't be weak minded in this field of work dealing with troubled youth with criminal or mental issues isn't for you if you are not tough minded. Very rewarding if job is done correctly. You'll need much patience, mental stamina and team oriented mind to succeed here.
Pros
Fun activities with residents
Cons
It an easy job
Not a good employment experience
Support staff (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioAugust 6, 2015
This is not a healthy place to work. I recently resigned after many years as a support staff employee because the culture of this place has changed since transitioning from Berea Children's Home to Ohio Guidestone. Management is unavailable and secretive, with supervisors being allowed to come and go whenever they want (all the time while regular employees have to document everything they do during the day). The pay schedule is terrible, with yearly raises that sometimes don't even amount to 20 cents per hour. Benefits are excellent- generous vacation and sick time. The culture at OG is also bad, with employees being forced to adhere to a stated doctrine that does not even begin to address the problems employees face on a day-to-day basis. All in all, I do not regret working for OG, as the experience has helped me to understand what I don't want in an employer, but I would not recommend the company to anyone at this point in time.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of others, generous benefits, flexible scheduling that allows for a good work/life balance
Cons
Management is non-responsive to workplace issues, culture is forced and suspicious, terrible pay and raise structure, very little room for advancement as a support staff employee
love it
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 26, 2016
I love working there, the pay sucks. Please are super nice there. If they pay then I would stay. its been a good experience
Pros
flex hours
Cons
pay
Exciting work place
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 22, 2016
A wonderful place to learn about becoming a great CPST.
Very knowledgeable, hands on training and great supervisory staff to answer questions about providing quality service to the community
Flexible
School Services/In Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 30, 2015
I would still be there if the pay was comparable. The job was flexible and I was able to do what I needed for myself. The staff were supportive and understanding overall.
Pros
flexible
Cons
poor salary compensation
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 6, 2016
Working with the knowledgeable staff was a great pleasure, as well as working with the families. I would do this job again.
Pros
Famiies and Staff
Cons
n/a
Pros and Cons...Just like any job
In home therapist (Former Employee) –  Northeast OhioDecember 10, 2015
My time at Ohio Guidestone was somewhat mixed. Just like any social service agency, there are pros and cons. You have to figure out what you can deal with and what are deal breakers. My days were spent going from home to home, possibly to a school , child services, or juvenile court. No two days were the same. However, it normally started early (with parents calling me on my agency cell phone before 8:00 am) and ended late (usually my last appointment was over my 8:00 pm). I very much enjoyed my clients. I love mental health services and helping others. However, I felt like I was in this hustle on a daily basis to get enough people to meet with me. At Guidestone, productivity is king....It doesn't matter if you are an amazing therapist, if you don't hit your numbers monthly, you are put on a performance plan or possibly terminated. You have to make up any time missed if you are sick, have agency holidays, or take vacation days (which you have earned and need to take to prevent burn out). This is not the fault of middle management but the "C" level executives that have been out of the field for many years. I felt that it was the expectation that my clients should be a bigger priority in my life than my own children and family. This "con" that was a deal breaker. There were also times in which my personal safety was not seemingly a big priority. Also, pay was low; however, medical benefits are amazing. Flexibility of schedule is great for those without children. I had some amazing supervisors and one that was horrible. However, even good supervisors cannot make up for a bad work/life  more... balance and bad policy. I feel that my dedication to my clients was taken advantage of. You cannot treat your employees poorly and expect them to stick around for the sake of "the cause."  less
Pros
Great medical benefits, flexibility of schedule
Cons
Poor work/life balance: especially if you have kids, productivity requirements, not being able to take time off, safety of self while in others homes
No job security
Residential Advocate (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHMarch 4, 2014
Ohioguidestone was not the problem. But they did not look at why there was so much turn around in employees at Harbor House in New Philadelphia. Management was very poor and questionable in their practices with staff and clients. Most of the management has changed but the real problem is still there. If you want to work there don't let your resume get cold as you will not be there long. Average about one firing a month in the course of a year. Treats staff like they are stupid and expects them to know everything without telling them. Not a place that seems to want clients to recover from drugs and/or alcohol.
Benefits
Cons
Unusally high staff turn over, Management style and treatment of staff, General lack of the feeling of care for clients by management.
Good
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 2, 2016
Really understand productivity and you will do fine. Staff is great but can be stressful if you do not balance work with personal.
Caring Company
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dover, OHAugust 3, 2016
The company cares about the employees and clients. The company helps their clients to achieve a better life for themselves.
Great Place to Work
Regional Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHApril 22, 2014
I enjoy working for OhioGuidestone! Every day I have new experiences and I grow and learn. They have amazing staff that work throughout the agency. I have had the privilege of working with our staff at our Berea, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas (PFCS and Harbor House), and Columbus locations. I believe the staff are treated well and have a great opportunity to grow and advance in their careers. The managers that I have worked for have all been very understanding and supportive. I feel that I can go to my supervisor about any question that I may have with my work without feeling pressure that I should have known the answer already. The agency offers great benefits and incentives to their staff. I feel that my job is not just an ordinary job. I feel that I am appreciated for my hard work and I am valued. OhioGuidestone is a non-profit agency and the pay for some positions may at times be low - but you need to understand that is because the programs throughout the agency are funded by grants and many generous donations. I hope this helps anyone who may be wondering what it is like to work for OhioGuidestone.
Pros
Flexability, Heathcare, Team & Supervisor Support
Cons
I have none to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OhioGuidestone. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9