OhioGuidestone

OhioGuidestone Employee Reviews

Life changing
Community Health Worker (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 18, 2015
Pros: flexibilty
Cons: work was constant even after shift was over
A typical workday consisted of me trying to locate my clients, whether through phone calls or home visit attempts in an effort to reduce infant mortality. While the shift was flexible, the work was demanding and my time became slightly unmanageable. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep it professional when you create such a personal relationship with the clients and their children, such as leaving their problems at work until you are back on schedule the following day. The most enjoyable was knowing that you are making a difference in the community.
Busy, slightly unorganized workplace, gain a lot of experience
Community Counseling Intern (Former Employee), Fairlawn, OHJuly 16, 2015
As an intern, I was an in-home therapist who also was assigned intake assessments for new clients. I did not mind the work that much, but I did not mesh well with the staff and supervisors in my county.
cleaned move boxes
Custodian (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 8, 2015
At Ohio GuideStone i clean.I vaccum,mop,clean bathrooms,Take out the trash a whole list of things.The people i work with is very good people
Need better Management
Mentor (Former Employee), Columbus ohioJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Working with clients
Cons: Not enough hours to work as part-time
This is an ok place to work, hard to move up and get full-time position and really no reason for them not to. Did not know many co-workers but the one's I knew were nice. Enjoyed working with the clients but as a company they need to promote more than friends.
A place to call home.
Therapist (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Paid healthcare premiums, flexible schedule, treated like a professional
OhioGuidestone is an agency that I can call home. I recently left the agency for a position at an "unhealthy" company, thinking the grass is greener etc, it was not. I am now back at OhioGuidestone.

The benefits are great, you do not have to pay for any premiums for health care, the previous agency wanted me to pay close to one thousand dollars for my husband and I. I do not know of any other employer out there that pays the premiums for health care, even if you have a family.

The supervisors, management team and everyone at OhioGuidestone are professional, yet care about their employees. It is what you call a "healthy" agency to work for, in social work that is important due to always being in a high stress field.

I am glad to be back at OhioGuidestone, it is a place I call home.
workforce instructor
Workforce Instructor/ Case Manager (Former Employee), Painesville, OHDecember 29, 2014
Pros: making a difference in others lives
Cons: terrible management/employee relations
The work was rewarding, but there were no room for advancement and the management was not supportive, encouraging or sensitive to employees needs and concerns.
First rate operation from top to bottom
Monitor (Former Employee), Berea, OHNovember 5, 2014
Pros: an opportunity to take initiative and be self-motivated. i worked the overnight shift.
Cons: when i was on duty, there was no chance to leave the property.
The total staff acted as surrogate parents for our clients.There is no higher calling or more important job.
I can't yet say.
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee), Berea, OHAugust 25, 2014
Pros: the company seems to employ many people that are passionate about caring for children
I only recently begun training at the time of this review and so I am uncertain as to whether or not Ohioguidestone is a decent place to work.
Co-Staff are the greatest, literally have your back. Clients are difficult
RESIDENTIAL TREATMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), BereaJuly 15, 2014
Teams of your co-staff are your lifeline-sometimes quite literally.
Clients can be violent and target staff to attack or manipulate, staff cohesiveness is the only thing that makes this job worthwhile. Pay is small, as it is a nonprofit, and there are no benefits to PTOC, there is a great need for a staff advocate for safe working conditions and safety in general. There is a lot of room for improvement.
Great Place to Work
Regional Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), New Philadelphia, OHApril 22, 2014
Pros: flexability, heathcare, team & supervisor support
Cons: i have none to list
I enjoy working for OhioGuidestone! Every day I have new experiences and I grow and learn. They have amazing staff that work throughout the agency. I have had the privilege of working with our staff at our Berea, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas (PFCS and Harbor House), and Columbus locations. I believe the staff are treated well and have a great opportunity to grow and advance in their careers. The managers that I have worked for have all been very understanding and supportive. I feel that I can go to my supervisor about any question that I may have with my work without feeling pressure that I should have known the answer already. The agency offers great benefits and incentives to their staff. I feel that my job is not just an ordinary job. I feel that I am appreciated for my hard work and I am valued. OhioGuidestone is a non-profit agency and the pay for some positions may at times be low - but you need to understand that is because the programs throughout the agency are funded by grants and many generous donations. I hope this helps anyone who may be wondering what it is like to work for OhioGuidestone.
Great Team work
Direct Care Worker/Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Berea, OHMarch 18, 2014
I loved working here I learned how to be a leader. I got to attempt my CDA.
NO JOB SECURITY
Residential Advocate (Former Employee), New Philadelphia, OHMarch 4, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: unusally high staff turn over, management style and treatment of staff, general lack of the feeling of care for clients by management.
Ohioguidestone was not the problem. But they did not look at why there was so much turn around in employees at Harbor House in New Philadelphia. Management was very poor and questionable in their practices with staff and clients. Most of the management has changed but the real problem is still there. If you want to work there don't let your resume get cold as you will not be there long. Average about one firing a month in the course of a year. Treats staff like they are stupid and expects them to know everything without telling them. Not a place that seems to want clients to recover from drugs and/or alcohol.
Challenging, but great place to work
Maternal Depression Therapist (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: gret benefits, good culture, good management
Cons: social work is a tough field
OhioGuidestone does great work with really tough clients. The work is challenging, because the clients are challenging, but that's why I became a social worker - to help those who need it.

The organization itself though, is great. The culture is positive, and upper management works to take care of staff to keep it that way. Their pay is OK, but the benefits are really good - something that's often overlooked, but much needed! My supervisor is always available if I need her, and goes to extra lengths to help with my more difficult cases.

If you really want to help people - especially young families, this is the place to do it!
layoffs
treatment Specialist (Former Employee), barea ohioNovember 20, 2013
Pros: the youth
Cons: layoffs
The third shift was great because my team i was working with but i did get laid off unexpectedly. The pay was very low so if your considering working there just know your at risk of being laid off at any given time.
There is a universal commitment to providing service but there seems to be little concern for staff.
Treatment Team Leader (Current Employee), Berea, OHAugust 28, 2013
Pros: there are fun events for staff.
Cons: low pay and no tuition assistance.
A typical day at work includes scheduling appointments and coordinating services for clients served.

My co-workers are hard workers who are dedicated to the people we serve.

The hardest part of the job is there is not enough hours to meet work requirements and still have time for family/personal issues.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that youcan work with the support of your team.
More like a traveling salesperson job
Maternal Depression Therapist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioMay 17, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: compensation; exposure to pests, filth, and potentially violent people
I was employed as a maternal depression therapist. The position sounds great in theory. You can work flexible hours, making your own schedule. However, you may become more like a traveling salesperson than anything else. That is, a travelling salesperson to public assistance recipients (whose lives change from day to day-that is just simple sociology). Many of the clients have severe and potentially violent mental health disorders, and not just postpartum depression and anxiety. Even once you have established a therapeutic relationship, still, how do you confront a client in her own home? You don't make money or mandatory productivity unless you can meet face-to-face with clients. Your paycheck and good standing in the position depends upon you hustling in-home therapy sessions with clients each week. And clients cancel and simply stop answering your calls VERY OFTEN. The pay is very low, considering all of the work hazards of travelling to all kinds of neighborhoods and being exposed to all kinds of environments (some clients have pests, rodents, and unfriendly dogs). Other times, there is an abusive boyfriend, controlling mother, or prying big sister or brother in the next room-so you cannot speak at ease with the client. If you are a good travelling salesperson, you can have success with this job. If not, it can become a nightmare. Look elsewhere!
Excellent Place to Work
Intern (Former Employee), Berea, OHMay 3, 2013
Pros: free on campus lunch, flexible hours
While interning at Guidestone I learned all the skills needed to be a CPST worker. I had the opportunity to work with a client population of 7-18 which is an excellent client population to work with. Management is easy to work with and always provide employees with helpful advice. The hardest part about being an intern with Guidestone was leaving all of the clients. The clients at Guidestone are wonderful to work with and almost always put a smile on your face.
Challenging work environment but obtained a variety of clinical experiences
Pre-doctoral Psychology Intern (Former Employee), Berea, OhApril 13, 2013
I was matched at Guidestone/Berea Children's Home and Family Services during the 2011 internship year in order to complete my doctorate in clinical psychology. I was received training in two major rotations, Early Childhood Mental Health and Psychological Assessment. I utilized a variety of therapeutic interventions to assist clients and their families reduce behavioral and emotional symptoms and increase attachment among caregivers and their children. I also administered, scored, and completed comprehensive reports which addressed various diagnostic issues such as mood disorders, attention problems, oppositional behaviors and delinquency. I also co-facilitated an all-male adolescent group at a residential treatment facility. Overall, the experience was extremely challenging as some personalities among superiors were less accommodating and flexible than others.
Great Company to work for
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 8, 2013
Upper management was supportive, benefits were amazing and co-workers were very helpful.
Daily Review
Community Psychiatric Support Treatment Specialist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 22, 2013
I worked daily with individuals to address needs or areas of improvement. Staff was primarily helpful when information was needed to help with these individuals. I enjoyed the secretarial staff because they helped when I couldn't access information on the personal computer that workers had to use in the field.

About OhioGuidestone

OhioGuidestone is a community solutions organization. We offer a unique blend of behavioral health treatment services, skill building – Read more

OhioGuidestone Salaries