OHSU Employee Reviews in United States

where cooks go to retire
Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 9, 2015
It became a ok place to work as long as you were on the bosses good side. I learned many more things when i had to pass servsafe, but otherwise i lost a lot of cooking knowledge. Very safe and clean, but sometimes too many restrictions.You were a number not a person there. Most co workers were nice
benefits
Cons
too many supervisors
Looks like an amazing place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 20, 2016
Looks like an amazing place to work, but its really hard to get a job there.
Everyone is really qualified. Everyone knows what they are doing, fun working environment. Passionate co-workers, most enjoyable part of this job would be working with all of my co-workers.
Pros
Free Tram ride, discount trimet pass
Cons
Really hard to get a job
Fun group of people. Commute and Parking Horrible
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 4, 2016
I loved my job at OHSU but I was being charged $15 a day to park at work. This is not refundable or reimbursed. Sometimes there isn't a spot to get so this forces the employee to either be late or park illegally which is subject for discipline if caught.
Great company to work for
INTERMEDIATE CARE STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 25, 2016
I learned a ton being at a teaching hospital. We had wonderful support staff and management was great. I would go back! Loved this job.
Pros
Great learning envoirnment, great pay and benefits
Cons
12 hour shift
Great experience and awesome patients
RSA (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 6, 2015
I love my job at OHSU. I love interacting with my patients and being able to help them with their nutritional diet orders. I work on a nuersosurgery unit and absolutely love it. I have learned a lot about nutrition, medical field, helping people on a medical level, learning a medical terms and anything medical. I enjoy talking with my patients and getting to know them. The hardest part is when a patient dies or leaves the hospital. You get to know these people very well, and its hard to watch them go.
Punitive Boss
Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 26, 2016
We are down on staff but new staff will not be approved by Manager, nor will OT. Yet we are held accountable for meeting volumes even though we have the numbers to prove we are understaffed.
Nice company to work for
Trauma Registry Abstractor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 14, 2016
I work from home and have a flexible schedule. I love it. Wish it was full-time and not just part-time. I communicate with my co-workers by email and I have no complaints about this job whatsoever.
Great opportunities to learn and grow in your position.
Certified Medical Assistant, Float (Former Employee) –  Doernbecher Pediatric SpecialtiesMay 27, 2015
A typical day is quite busy, but enjoyable. The fast-paced atmosphere is the hardest part to get used to, but once you learn how to efficiently complete your tasks, the busy pace makes the day go quickly and flow easily.
Co-workers are willing to help when needed, and are happy to received help when they request it. Definitely a team experience.
Management has an open-door policy and are very approachable.
Pros
Team oriented, highly efficient co-workers, upbeat environment
Cons
Parking
Funtastic place to work
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 2, 2015
Life is one big learning lesson and it's how you work it not how it works you.

Seeing my children grow and expand to be the best people they can be. I learn so much from them every day.

This kind of job expands and puts you out of your comfort zone with creative ideas for school planning daily.
Very busy and stressful work environment
Patient Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 4, 2015
We see 60 to 80 patients per day, most employees are stretched thin, which makes it more stressful. Hardest part of job is losing a patient that you have gotten to know well. Getting to know your patients is one of the best parts of the job.
Pros
patients and family, seeing a patient beat their cancer!
Cons
long hours, no parking, poor management, losing a patient.
A really great place to work.
Epic Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 7, 2015
This was a really great place to work, I loved my job and the people I worked with and there were a lot of interesting new challenges every day.
collegial, fun
Locum Tenens NP Preop Medicine Clinic (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 18, 2015
Excellent group of physicinsand and Nurse practitioners, very collegial atmoshphere, good place to learn new things.
Professional, respectful atmosphere
Newborn Hearing Screening Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 10, 2015
As a volunteer, I have always been treated with respect and appreciation. I always look forward to my time there. The volunteer program is top notch and the staff are so compassionate and caring.
Pros
Free parking for volunteers
A medical university
Systems/User Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 1, 2012
I enjoyed working at both HHMI and OHSU. Their operations were explained when one starts at orientation and there's no guess work about how things should be done. The people are very professional and friendly. It's a very cheerful environment as our department as a team got along very well, which makes even the most difficult tasks a joy. The personal benefits, ie; health insurance, etc. are more expensive than other places that I've worked and the parking is, for the most part, non existant, but those two areas are the only negative things I can think to say about working there. I was a real pleasure otherwise. The people there are great and the work at just the perfect level of challenge.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
no parking
Great place to work except for the management and logistics
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  PortlandJune 14, 2013
The hospital is huge and sprawling so logistics are a nightmare. Assignments are acuity based, so you can find yourself scrambling to give good care. You are encouraged to gulp a "lunch " while responding to a page for help in another part of the hospital. Our department (in the basement ), featured a rat trap behind the refrigerator, and leaking overhead pipes that drip onto the floor, staff, and tables where we give report, eat, and conduct department business. Many talented and dedicated healthcare professionals work here though, and you get the chance to make a difference in patient's outcomes.
Pros
a teaching hospital where you will see unusual cases and a diverse patient population
Cons
fear based management makes communication and trust difficult, unsanitary, unsafe working conditions
Decent
Pediatric Phlebotomy Lead- Doernbecher Lab (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 10, 2013
I arrive at work and open the pediatric lab. This lab can see any where from 40-70 patients a day. It is staffed with only two people. I have learned many things about children and pediatric phlebotomy. There is little to no management of DCH lab. Co-workers heavily rely on eachother and are unable to take days off due to being severly short staffed consistantly. The hardest part of my job is watching my beloved patients pass away. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching our kiddos grow up.
Pros
patient/family oriented care, fast patient turn around
Cons
no flexibility with time off, unreasonable demands from management
Great place to work. I learned a lot.
Endoscopy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 26, 2015
I learned a great deal about endoscopy procedures at OHSU. I enjoyed all of the interesting cases we did in the GI procedure unit.
Pros
Interest work
Cons
Got sent home early when we didn't have enough cases to keep us busy all day
OHSU does not require managers to treat employees with respect
Registered Nurse, BSN (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 6, 2014
OHSU does not require managers & HR to treat employees fairly or respectfully. There is a system to report problems, but it appears that they do not act on identified misconduct by managers.
Pros
competitive wages
Cons
inequitable treatment by certain managers
Good pay to say the least
food and nutrition (Current Employee) –  Portland oregonMay 11, 2015
ok place to work they pay more than most jobs starting wage very big establishment to be employed at. friendly uplifting people.
OHSU is a Top Notch Hospital
Cashier/Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2012
I would recommend anybody to work for OHSU.
Great benefits, wonderful working environment.
You will always enjoy the physicians, customers and staff.
Besides the beautiful view from the tram. Gotta do it!
Nothing like seeing Mt. Hood from acouple 1000ft.
Pros
always clean and very secure.
Cons
no employee parking unless you wanna pay 10.00daily.