Oklahoma Blood Institute Employee Reviews in United States

No advancement
Inventory Representative (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 6, 2016
A few nice people. Just like any other small place management gossip with regular staff. If you a driver you will be on call. Not good if you like to rest.
Pros
Have snacks
Cons
Benefits not that great
Run away from
Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 12, 2016
This company is not a good company to work for. They will over work you and belittle you. This attitude goes all the way up through management. I wished i would have known how horrible of a place this was or i would have never worked her and saved my self esteem and years of therapy. If you want to find out what it's like to work here go hang out in a high school boys locker room.
Pros
Cons
No respect or integrity in higher ups and management.
fun at times but very stressful place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OK 73501April 9, 2016
This company stands for a good cause but the way that the company treat their employees is ridiculous. The company has a very high turn over rate. some days are good days but the majority days are very stressful. You work a lot of hours and every weekend. If your schedule says that you are to get off at 5, you may not get off til 7. Your off time always changes.The management there is very petty, also they do not keep matters confidential. The co-workers, there are about a handful that are really cool and easy to work with. The rest of the co-workers are annoying and will tell anything that they see. The hardest part of the job is the physical part of it and dealing with unprofessional management. You can make a decent salary but their is a lot of negative things you have to put up with. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet a lot of new people and know that your helping save lives.
Pros
saving lives
Cons
unprofessional management, working pass your off time, alot of physical work
I love where I work
Component Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  OKC, OKFebruary 26, 2016
So far I've been here for almost 3 months and I love it. They train you on everything you need to know to be able to perform your job safely. Everyone is more and willing to help with any questions or problems you may have and I love my boss. She is always making sure that if there is a problem she will do her best to solve it for you asap. As for all of the departments that I have been in contact with everyone is always nice and I couldn't have hoped for a better work place.
Pros
My co-workers and bosses are awesome
Cons
Construction is still going on inside the building
Great Employees
Mobile Apheresis Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 29, 2015
The employees made job and the environment fun no matter what location we were at doing a blood drive. The hardest part about the job was the long hours. The easiest part was drawing blood.
Pros
Plenty of overtime hours
Cons
No breaks nor lunches, no set schedules
Warning to rn's
Apheresis Nurse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 16, 2015
This is a high risk job to RN. They work you 24+ hours sometimes to the point it is unsafe. Patient safety is at risk. Never can get away from the job. Expect unrealistic things from nurses. Want you to falsify information and commit fraud. RN BEWARE and BE CAREFUL!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
MANY mostly safety issues. Treat nurse VERY DISRESPECTFULLY!
excellent place of employment
SUPERVISOR AND PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 21, 2016
The Oklahoma blood institute is a great place to work and there is lot of room to advance and gain knowledge. I would advise others to go to work for them.
Fun if you like to travel
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 16, 2015
I typical day was getting up in the wee hours of night, getting to work, loading a truck with equipment and supplies and drive all over the state of Oklahoma for a blood drive. Meet intersting people all over and sometimes we had fun on our trips.
Pros
travel
Cons
travel
Just an Intern, but fascinating work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 7, 2016
I came in early and looked around the different departments. It had great people that care and believe in what they do. There is so much more to it than donating blood.
Not an appropriate environment
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKSeptember 27, 2014
Backstabbing amongst management is the norm. If you are not part of the inappropriate job culture - telling jokes not suitable for work, giving people a hard time, you will be treated with hostility. There human resources department is a joke. If you report something, they don't care about the issue. they just want to tell the manager who exactly did it. Would NOT recommend working here!
benefits
Cons
too much inappropriateness and backstabbing
Very demanding job
Component Lab Tech & In Center Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 28, 2013
While working at obi, I enjoyed knowing that what I did everyday would make a difference in someone life. However, the management and the office politics that were involved often times made the job less desirable. Many times people were promoted based on who liked them and not on their job performance. Many times, there were people who were promoted who definitely should not have been promoted. Basically, if you kiss the right butt, you would definitely go up the ladder.
Pros
good benefits, did not have worry about buying my scrubs
Cons
work enviroment sucks
Night Shift
Chemistry Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 23, 2013
The night is a nice environment and I really enjoy and work and co-workers. However, the pay is poor, the raise scheme is EXTREMELY unrewarding, and the relationship between the day and night shift is very tense for some reason. The management has come up with an elementary-like 'point scheme' to punish individuals for everyday occurrences as well as mistakes, yet there is not compensation or rewards for a job well done, which has really dropped moral to an all time low.
Pros
night shift, 10 hours shifts, 4 day per schedule
Cons
low wages, practically no yearly raises, no recognition of hard work
I love my job
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 11, 2015
I love working for this company. I have a great boss, wonderful co-workers, and I get to meet new people and help save lives everyday
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
nothing
Saving Lives Every Day
Employee (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 28, 2014
Very rewarding and challenging place to work (24/7 operations). We work hard...but, we are saving lives every day!! Great benefits, good pay, great experience and training in many different fields (phlebotomy, laboratory, data management, call center).
Pros
very high quality standards, good pay, very rewarding
Cons
tough schedules and occasionally long hours
Horrible
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa okSeptember 4, 2015
They don't care about the employees. wk you to exhaustion a lot of false promises and they try to pump you up with saving lives when in turn they don't care. The traning is a joke and they will pay you as little as possible. The vehicles are not safe either for travel
Cons
Horrible
Great Pay & Benefits... if you like micro management
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 9, 2015
Great sense of accomplishment on a daily basis and different challenges everyday. However, management will push you around A LOT!
Pros
great pay & benefits
Cons
terrible management
lab tech
Component Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 30, 2014
production of all blood born products. I learned the importance of our city blood product reserves. management was there to keep us up to date on all new procedures and methods. The co-workers worked as one unit. The hardest was to get the products processed in large numbers. the most enjoyable part was, the shift I worked on worked fast, clean and in tune with one another.
Pros
level of team work
Cons
sometime the volume that arrived with a short time to process
Professional and very good for experience.
Mobile Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 6, 2012
You get to work every day and you had to make sure that you had everything you needed to make the blood drive you are scheduled to run goes successfully. Loaded all the equipment into trailers or vans depending on what kind of drive it is. Everyone that was scheduled the same blood drive as you helped unload and unload all equipment, and helped set up and pack up all equipment. At this job I learned how to be more professional, punctuality, and improved my phlebotomy skills. For the most part all the co-workers were very nice, welcoming, and helpful. There was alot of manual labor involved and that would have to be the hardest part. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to meet some amazing people and knowing that everyone I get to donate with us Im helping save the life of three people, and that feels good.
Pros
benefits, bonuses, pto
Cons
no breaks at drives, no lunches
Okay workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OklahomaApril 6, 2015
This job did not present any incentives for me. There was no room to advance, this was basically a dead-end job. I was hired as a full time worker and they knew that I was am a full time college student and they still did not utilize the college tools I did have under my belt.
Pros
Free coffee in the break room
Cons
dead end job no way to climb the corporate ladder.
Exciting and fun workplace!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoyed every minute of being there. While there, I rolled banners, t-shirts, made calls for upcoming drives, took calls, managed the front desk. I also made reminder calls. I met lots of new people and got to interact with management. I would go back in a heartbeat.