OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employer Reviews

Enjoyed working with children.
TMR Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 4, 2013
Pros: children, education, co-workers
Cons: pay, healthcare, and management
In a typical day I assisted the lead teacher, working one on one with developmentally disabled children, helping them learn the basic life and education skills. I learned to understand that everyone is special and has a unique personality. I didn't always agree with managment decisions but respected them. My co-workers were great people to work with – more... because of their passion for teaching and love for the children. The hardest part of my job was having to see such wonderful, happy children struggle with their disabilities, but the most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing the childrens success. – less
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 18, 2013
Managing a Thrift store was not as hard as I thought It would be. I would manage about 4-5 employees threw out the day. I would manage the money drops also manage the drawer count at the end of the shift. My duties would also include making sure the back room was always ready for tomorrow.
A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Emotionally Disturbed Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), OKLAHOMA CITY OKLAHOMAAugust 24, 2013
A TYPICAL WORK DAY AT DOUGLASS HIGH /SCHOOL MIDDLE SCHOOL IS WHEN BEGINNING MY DAY AT WORK IM AM GREETED WITH STUDENT THAT REQUIRE SPECIAL NEEDS TO HAVE A GREAT IMPACT ON THERE DESIRE TO LEARN AND THEIR LIFE SITUATION. MANAGEMENT WAS GOOD, I WORKED WITH ADMINISTRATORS THAT EITHER TAUGHT ME DURING HIGHSCHOOL OR A FAMILY MEMBER. DOUUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL – more... HAS THE BEST CO WORKERS( TEACHING STAFF).WHAT I LEARNED FROM DOUGLASS HS/MS THINGS THAT I ALREADY KNEW BUT WAS GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO PASS ON THAT KNOWLEDGE NOT ONLY TO THE STUDENTS BUT TO SOME OF MY CO WORKERS. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS THAT IT IS CONTRACT WORK. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS THAT I HAVE MADE MY STUDENTS AND OTHER STUDENTS THERE ENJOY THEIR LEARNING EXPERIENCE. – less
schools were very supportive
Counselor (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 29, 2013
Pros: working with adolescents
Cons: only 5 years
OKC Public Schools were most cooperative in providing space for counseling services, flexible for special projects & helpful in getting services to students, families & staff in need.
Turning around
English Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma CityJune 1, 2013
A nice place with really great and really mediocre people. The really great people are passionate about students and making a difference, I feel that the only vacation seekers are slowly be weeded out.
Assistant Controller (Current Employee), Purcell, OKMay 8, 2013
Pros: summers off
Cons: pay scale
I learned how important time and data management are. I work with some of the nicest teachers.
Worked in this school
Former school teacher at this location (Former Employee), Okc okFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: summer breaks
Cons: the pay, the parents, the administration, and a lot of the kids ;-(
If you want a challenge then this is the place; it's not for the faint at heart. Little pay, little respect, little help! But if you have the opportunity to change one life then it'll be well worth the hassle you will endure while working here.

A former employee
if u like food this is the place for you
Child Nutrition Substitute (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: frre time between lunch and cooking food
Cons: sometime bored from nothing to do
pull food, clean food, cook food and give to kids clean up when you are done
Love the job
Principal Secretary (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: money
I was sorry to have to resign my position there, but for my health and personal life it was a must. I love the school.
Productive and challenging with an opportunity to change lives for the better
Paraprofessional/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 15, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, numerous days off throughout the calendar year
Cons: short lunches, no benefits
Arrive early, greet children, and attempt to bring out the best in each child.

I learn each day that no matter our age, race, or financial status, we can learn something from everyone.

Managing a classroom while the home room teacher is absent can be quite challenging, but the rewards far outweigh any challenges. Home room teacher notes assist a great – more... deal.

Other teachers are there to assist when needed which relieves pressure.

The hardest part of my job is enforcing the established classroom discipline procedures (because they look so sweet and innocent).

The most enjoyable part of my job is leaving proud/praise notes for the home room teacher. Another enjoyable part of my job is witnessing a child grasp a concept that they have been struggling with. – less
Exciting and rewarding job
Bilingual Assistant (Current Employee), Columbus ElementaryOctober 3, 2012
Pros: long breaks
Cons: pay is too little
physical activities
working with children is fun
family like envirnment with co worker
hard to keep 20 5 yr olds busy all the time
rewarding to see children learning something new everyday
Fun place to work
Head custodian (Former Employee), Ridgeview ElementaryJune 22, 2012
Enjoyed working in school with children. I had a great principal that I worked with and the children were mostly well behaved. I kept the school clean ad presentable at all times.

About OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

If you are going by car, truck, or boat inĀ Oklahoma and you'd rather get there sooner than later, watch out for the Department – Read more