OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

A High Pace Work Environment
Vocal Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 8, 2015
I see around 60-70 students a day. The school day is split into 4 different classes with a lunch in the middle. I see high school first thing in the morning and end my day with middle school every afternoon. We try to start with bell work and work on some aspect of music for our lesson. I have one plan period designated for me each day, however, that's usually filled up with covering another class or a professional development training or a meeting. I have amazing co-workers. They are always looking for ways to improve their performance and ways to help others. Being a first year teacher, this year has been very challenging. I have learned a lot about what I'm looking for in a work environment, as well as, how much I can tolerate from a day to day basis. The hardest part of the job is doing your job if there happens to be no support from specific parts of the building workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to teacher and relate and bond with young people who have an amazing outlook on life. It's incredible work to help young people realize their dreams/aspirations and help them work toward that passion.
Pros
Summer off and long breaks, potential to earn extra money, lots of professional development/potential for growth
Cons
very little prep time, resources usually from personal money, a lot of extra time spent working
Productive and challenging with an opportunity to change lives for the better
Paraprofessional/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 15, 2012
Arrive early, greet children, and attempt to bring out the best in each child.

I learn each day that no matter our age, race, or financial status, we can learn something from everyone.

Managing a classroom while the home room teacher is absent can be quite challenging, but the rewards far outweigh any challenges. Home room teacher notes assist a great deal.

Other teachers are there to assist when needed which relieves pressure.

The hardest part of my job is enforcing the established classroom discipline procedures (because they look so sweet and innocent).

The most enjoyable part of my job is leaving proud/praise notes for the home room teacher. Another enjoyable part of my job is witnessing a child grasp a concept that they have been struggling with.
Pros
flexible hours, numerous days off throughout the calendar year
Cons
short lunches, no benefits
It is what you make of it
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2015
These kids need educators who care about their learning. I love working with their families. Most are Hispanic, so often it is hard to communicate with their families and/or children. I have a passion for teaching. Benefits are awesome, but the pay is a joke... The hardest part of the job is knowing that there are over 3,000 children living in poverty, or are homeless in this district. often, the buses pick kids up underneath bridges. Seriously, breaks my heart.
Pros
vacations are awesome, and we get paid year round
Cons
no breaks. long days sometimes, and they will ask you to do extra work i.e. bus duty, after-care, etc. However, they do not pay you any additional income. So beware, and your best bet is to say NO. Management will use you until the cows come home.
Teaching is exciting and fun when teacher makes it that way
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2014
I woke up every morning excited about the day. I had something special planned for every day. Almost every day, I took something new to show the class. I planned games and activities to make learning fun. I got great joy from finding each student's talents and strengths.

I worked really hard all day. At 3:30, when the kids go home, I sit down and have a snack and then I get up and spend the next two hours getting everything ready for the next day.

What I learned: attitude is everything.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with principals who want the kids to sit down and be quiet all the time. That is not how children learn.

The most enjoyable part of the job is watching children learn.
Pros
getting to know the delightful children
Cons
paperwork
A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Emotionally Disturbed Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  OKLAHOMA CITY OKLAHOMAAugust 24, 2013
A TYPICAL WORK DAY AT DOUGLASS HIGH /SCHOOL MIDDLE SCHOOL IS WHEN BEGINNING MY DAY AT WORK IM AM GREETED WITH STUDENT THAT REQUIRE SPECIAL NEEDS TO HAVE A GREAT IMPACT ON THERE DESIRE TO LEARN AND THEIR LIFE SITUATION. MANAGEMENT WAS GOOD, I WORKED WITH ADMINISTRATORS THAT EITHER TAUGHT ME DURING HIGHSCHOOL OR A FAMILY MEMBER. DOUUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL HAS THE BEST CO WORKERS( TEACHING STAFF).WHAT I LEARNED FROM DOUGLASS HS/MS THINGS THAT I ALREADY KNEW BUT WAS GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO PASS ON THAT KNOWLEDGE NOT ONLY TO THE STUDENTS BUT TO SOME OF MY CO WORKERS. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS THAT IT IS CONTRACT WORK. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS THAT I HAVE MADE MY STUDENTS AND OTHER STUDENTS THERE ENJOY THEIR LEARNING EXPERIENCE.
struggling
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 2, 2015
This district is trying to correct errors put into place by various groups involved with public education. Also, some the problems were self created. The district is trying to attract individuals to turn the climate around. I hope to see some impact before the end of the school year.
The students I have are amazing. They are hard working and want to learn. I enjoy interacting with them and sharing life experiences. My favorite part of the job is engaging in classroom discussions where the students challenge my understanding of the subject. I also enjoy being able to introduce them to activities that they would not have ever considered participating in, growing beans from seeds.
Pros
i do not do the same activity twice.
Cons
testing
Satisfactory wages and fun environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 4, 2015
I was blessed to be a part of a wonderful, ever advancing school managed by an award-winning, impressive principal.
I actually like to be fast paces, however there were times that we did not have the time for a proper break. We are limited on the way we should handle certain situations, and only found that those methods proved ineffective the majority of the time. The job is very rewarding and it is absolutely amazing to watch children grow so much over 10 months.
Pros
great health benefits, time off
Cons
very fast paced
Enjoyed working with children.
TMR Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 4, 2013
In a typical day I assisted the lead teacher, working one on one with developmentally disabled children, helping them learn the basic life and education skills. I learned to understand that everyone is special and has a unique personality. I didn't always agree with managment decisions but respected them. My co-workers were great people to work with because of their passion for teaching and love for the children. The hardest part of my job was having to see such wonderful, happy children struggle with their disabilities, but the most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing the childrens success.
Pros
children, education, co-workers
Cons
pay, healthcare, and management
Simple job if you like it.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 29, 2014
Typical day driving buses.
What I learned is I know how to drive buses.
Management is terrible.
I only knew two of my co-workers they were pretty cool everybody else was about drama.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with kids and knowing the streets.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting off and don't see that place until Monday morning.
Pros
help you get a cdl
Cons
too much drama everyone was quiet or too themself
Not a fun place to work for anymore.....
Principal's Secretary (Former Employee) –  MonroeAugust 23, 2015
This school district has become less supportive of their employees. Most of us feeling unappreciated. Your given more and more responsibilities with out the support that is needed, Most of us work hours beyond what were paid for and it still isn't enough time to get the jobs done, and your not compensated for that extra work.
Pros
great co=workers
Cons
not enough support from management

Want to know more about OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS?

Ask a question
Not bad, but be ready.
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 20, 2015
Depending on the site administrator you could have a very excellent job culture or an absolutely awful one. If you can handle the stress the kids are, for the most part, great to work with. Word of advice join a union but not AFT, their president sucks.
Pros
Paid Training:
Cons
Some really awful administrators.
Worked in this school
Former school teacher at this location (Former Employee) –  Okc okFebruary 15, 2013
If you want a challenge then this is the place; it's not for the faint at heart. Little pay, little respect, little help! But if you have the opportunity to change one life then it'll be well worth the hassle you will endure while working here.

A former employee
Pros
summer breaks
Cons
the pay, the parents, the administration, and a lot of the kids ;-(
Learned a lot.
Treasury Accountant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 10, 2015
I learned a lot of upper lever Accounting work while working at the Oklahoma City Public Schools. I was responsible for building the billing part of our Transportation system. I brought down the variances between the billing and payments from a $56k to a $4k withing my first few months on the job.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Lots of overtime without compensation.
Poor support both finacially and emotionally
Guidence Counselor (Current Employee) –  OKCPSJuly 12, 2015
The pay is some of the lowest in the nation. The support one receives from administration in minimal to say the least. No investment in employees and very short term solution focused.
Pros
You get to work with some amazing kids.
Cons
You are not given what you need to be effective.
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 18, 2013
Managing a Thrift store was not as hard as I thought It would be. I would manage about 4-5 employees threw out the day. I would manage the money drops also manage the drawer count at the end of the shift. My duties would also include making sure the back room was always ready for tomorrow.
Elementary Principal (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 23, 2014
Productive workplace with a very young teacher crew. Our school is small and challenging but filled with great rewards such as nationally ranked students in math and very competitive students in other academic areas.
Pros
100% free lunch
Cons
not enough parental involvement
Providing customer service for drivers
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 9, 2014
Filing, typing, and assisting drivers who needed help with the KRONOS Timekeeper Central, also tracking and assigning field trips to various drivers.
Pros
knew what was expected of me.
Cons
pay seemed well below everything they would assign you.
Great teaching environment
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2014
Oklahoma City Public Schools is a great place to work. There are so many schools in the district, and they are always hiring. It is great to be able to be a part of the education system and be a part of children's lives. Oklahoma City Public Schools has many placement options for any teacher out there.
Exciting and rewarding job
Bilingual Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus ElementaryOctober 3, 2012
physical activities
working with children is fun
family like envirnment with co worker
hard to keep 20 5 yr olds busy all the time
rewarding to see children learning something new everyday
Pros
long breaks
Cons
pay is too little
Rewarding job - Poverty level income
Media Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 14, 2014
The job itself is remarkable! The hours are convenient and flexible; perfect if you have kids. The pay is not enough for a single income home.
Pros
summer, spring, fall and winter break, the hours
Cons
very little pay