OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

system in need of better personal at staff admin.
Head custodian/custodian. (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 9, 2015
inprove salaries across the board.custodians,food service.maintances workers.better health and dental.there is not much left or anything I can think of at this time.Thank You!
Pros
none.
Cons
low pay.
Difficult but rewarding job.
Early Childhood Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 4, 2015
Working with children, families and fellow teachers is rewarding. Little to no support from administration. Classes are overcrowded making meeting individual needs difficult if not impossible.
Pros
Teaching and working with children and families.
Cons
Little to no support from administration. Low wages.
Great benefits. Good place to work
Director of Personnel (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 27, 2015
Enjoy working with people. Have great skill with working in a Union enviroment. I take pride in working with legal, workmen' comp and administrators to resolve and solve problems.
Not a fun place to work for anymore.....
Principal's Secretary (Former Employee) –  MonroeAugust 23, 2015
This school district has become less supportive of their employees. Most of us feeling unappreciated. Your given more and more responsibilities with out the support that is needed, Most of us work hours beyond what were paid for and it still isn't enough time to get the jobs done, and your not compensated for that extra work.
Pros
great co=workers
Cons
not enough support from management
Not bad, but be ready.
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 20, 2015
Depending on the site administrator you could have a very excellent job culture or an absolutely awful one. If you can handle the stress the kids are, for the most part, great to work with. Word of advice join a union but not AFT, their president sucks.
Pros
Paid Training:
Cons
Some really awful administrators.
Great Environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Prairie Queen ElementaryJuly 28, 2015
Great work environment, friendly and helpful staff all around. The kids are great. Prairie Queen also became a Model school through the Greater Expectations program. Loved the job just looking for a different career opportunity.
Poor support both finacially and emotionally
Guidence Counselor (Current Employee) –  OKCPSJuly 12, 2015
The pay is some of the lowest in the nation. The support one receives from administration in minimal to say the least. No investment in employees and very short term solution focused.
Pros
You get to work with some amazing kids.
Cons
You are not given what you need to be effective.
It is what you make of it
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2015
These kids need educators who care about their learning. I love working with their families. Most are Hispanic, so often it is hard to communicate with their families and/or children. I have a passion for teaching. Benefits are awesome, but the pay is a joke... The hardest part of the job is knowing that there are over 3,000 children living in poverty, or are homeless in this district. often, the buses pick kids up underneath bridges. Seriously, breaks my heart.
Pros
vacations are awesome, and we get paid year round
Cons
no breaks. long days sometimes, and they will ask you to do extra work i.e. bus duty, after-care, etc. However, they do not pay you any additional income. So beware, and your best bet is to say NO. Management will use you until the cows come home.
Learned a lot.
Treasury Accountant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 10, 2015
I learned a lot of upper lever Accounting work while working at the Oklahoma City Public Schools. I was responsible for building the billing part of our Transportation system. I brought down the variances between the billing and payments from a $56k to a $4k withing my first few months on the job.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Lots of overtime without compensation.
Great Place for Multi-Cultural Diversity
Title 1 Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Southeast High SchoolJune 5, 2015
I have been fortunate that I got to work with some absolutely great people, students and parents during my time at OKCPS.

Want to know more about OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS?

Ask a question
Executive chef
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 5, 2015
Executive Chef
-Oversee kitchen staff for 83 schools
-Design healthier menu items for kids
-Control cost and staying within State regulated budgets
-Teaching Kitchen staff proper Culinary skills and safety procedures
Everyday opportunities
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 29, 2015
I got the opportunity to work in many different schools and experience the way each school is set up and how each school is ran as a whole.
A High Pace Work Environment
Vocal Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 8, 2015
I see around 60-70 students a day. The school day is split into 4 different classes with a lunch in the middle. I see high school first thing in the morning and end my day with middle school every afternoon. We try to start with bell work and work on some aspect of music for our lesson. I have one plan period designated for me each day, however, that's usually filled up with covering another class or a professional development training or a meeting. I have amazing co-workers. They are always looking for ways to improve their performance and ways to help others. Being a first year teacher, this year has been very challenging. I have learned a lot about what I'm looking for in a work environment, as well as, how much I can tolerate from a day to day basis. The hardest part of the job is doing your job if there happens to be no support from specific parts of the building workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to teacher and relate and bond with young people who have an amazing outlook on life. It's incredible work to help young people realize their dreams/aspirations and help them work toward that passion.
Pros
Summer off and long breaks, potential to earn extra money, lots of professional development/potential for growth
Cons
very little prep time, resources usually from personal money, a lot of extra time spent working
Satisfactory wages and fun environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 4, 2015
I was blessed to be a part of a wonderful, ever advancing school managed by an award-winning, impressive principal.
I actually like to be fast paces, however there were times that we did not have the time for a proper break. We are limited on the way we should handle certain situations, and only found that those methods proved ineffective the majority of the time. The job is very rewarding and it is absolutely amazing to watch children grow so much over 10 months.
Pros
great health benefits, time off
Cons
very fast paced
struggling
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 2, 2015
This district is trying to correct errors put into place by various groups involved with public education. Also, some the problems were self created. The district is trying to attract individuals to turn the climate around. I hope to see some impact before the end of the school year.
The students I have are amazing. They are hard working and want to learn. I enjoy interacting with them and sharing life experiences. My favorite part of the job is engaging in classroom discussions where the students challenge my understanding of the subject. I also enjoy being able to introduce them to activities that they would not have ever considered participating in, growing beans from seeds.
Pros
i do not do the same activity twice.
Cons
testing
Elementary Principal (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 23, 2014
Productive workplace with a very young teacher crew. Our school is small and challenging but filled with great rewards such as nationally ranked students in math and very competitive students in other academic areas.
Pros
100% free lunch
Cons
not enough parental involvement
Teaching is exciting and fun when teacher makes it that way
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2014
I woke up every morning excited about the day. I had something special planned for every day. Almost every day, I took something new to show the class. I planned games and activities to make learning fun. I got great joy from finding each student's talents and strengths.

I worked really hard all day. At 3:30, when the kids go home, I sit down and have a snack and then I get up and spend the next two hours getting everything ready for the next day.

What I learned: attitude is everything.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with principals who want the kids to sit down and be quiet all the time. That is not how children learn.

The most enjoyable part of the job is watching children learn.
Pros
getting to know the delightful children
Cons
paperwork
Love working with Children
Counselors Secretary/ Attendance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OklahomaSeptember 22, 2014
I loved working with both middle school and High School children they were so very interesting.
I GOT TO WORK AROUND CHILDREN AND THAT WAS EXCITING.
CHILD NUTRITION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 21, 2014
I PREP FOOD AND RAN THE REGISTER. I LEARNED MANY DIFFERENT THINGS ABOUT THE HEALTH REGULATIONS AND MY CO-WORKERS WERE GREAT ALSO.
Great teaching environment
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2014
Oklahoma City Public Schools is a great place to work. There are so many schools in the district, and they are always hiring. It is great to be able to be a part of the education system and be a part of children's lives. Oklahoma City Public Schools has many placement options for any teacher out there.