OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Executive chef
Executive Chef (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 5, 2015
Executive Chef
-Oversee kitchen staff for 83 schools
-Design healthier menu items for kids
-Control cost and staying within State regulated budgets
-Teaching Kitchen staff proper Culinary skills and safety procedures
Everyday opportunities
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 29, 2015
I got the opportunity to work in many different schools and experience the way each school is set up and how each school is ran as a whole.
A High Pace Work Environment
Vocal Music Teacher (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 8, 2015
Pros: Summer off and long breaks, potential to earn extra money, lots of professional development/potential for growth
Cons: very little prep time, resources usually from personal money, a lot of extra time spent working
I see around 60-70 students a day. The school day is split into 4 different classes with a lunch in the middle. I see high school first thing in the morning and end my day with middle school every afternoon. We try to start with bell work and work on some aspect of music for our lesson. I have one plan period designated for me each day, however, that's usually filled up with covering another class or a professional development training or a meeting. I have amazing co-workers. They are always looking for ways to improve their performance and ways to help others. Being a first year teacher, this year has been very challenging. I have learned a lot about what I'm looking for in a work environment, as well as, how much I can tolerate from a day to day basis. The hardest part of the job is doing your job if there happens to be no support from specific parts of the building workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to teacher and relate and bond with young people who have an amazing outlook on life. It's incredible work to help young people realize their dreams/aspirations and help them work toward that passion.
Satisfactory wages and fun environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 4, 2015
Pros: great health benefits, time off
Cons: very fast paced
I was blessed to be a part of a wonderful, ever advancing school managed by an award-winning, impressive principal.
I actually like to be fast paces, however there were times that we did not have the time for a proper break. We are limited on the way we should handle certain situations, and only found that those methods proved ineffective the majority of the time. The job is very rewarding and it is absolutely amazing to watch children grow so much over 10 months.
struggling
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: i do not do the same activity twice.
Cons: testing
This district is trying to correct errors put into place by various groups involved with public education. Also, some the problems were self created. The district is trying to attract individuals to turn the climate around. I hope to see some impact before the end of the school year.
The students I have are amazing. They are hard working and want to learn. I enjoy interacting with them and sharing life experiences. My favorite part of the job is engaging in classroom discussions where the students challenge my understanding of the subject. I also enjoy being able to introduce them to activities that they would not have ever considered participating in, growing beans from seeds.
Elementary Principal (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 23, 2014
Pros: 100% free lunch
Cons: not enough parental involvement
Productive workplace with a very young teacher crew. Our school is small and challenging but filled with great rewards such as nationally ranked students in math and very competitive students in other academic areas.
Teaching is exciting and fun when teacher makes it that way
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2014
Pros: getting to know the delightful children
Cons: paperwork
I woke up every morning excited about the day. I had something special planned for every day. Almost every day, I took something new to show the class. I planned games and activities to make learning fun. I got great joy from finding each student's talents and strengths.

I worked really hard all day. At 3:30, when the kids go home, I sit down and have a snack and then I get up and spend the next two hours getting everything ready for the next day.

What I learned: attitude is everything.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with principals who want the kids to sit down and be quiet all the time. That is not how children learn.

The most enjoyable part of the job is watching children learn.
Love working with Children
Counselors Secretary/ Attendance Clerk (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaSeptember 22, 2014
I loved working with both middle school and High School children they were so very interesting.
I GOT TO WORK AROUND CHILDREN AND THAT WAS EXCITING.
CHILD NUTRITION WORKER (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 21, 2014
I PREP FOOD AND RAN THE REGISTER. I LEARNED MANY DIFFERENT THINGS ABOUT THE HEALTH REGULATIONS AND MY CO-WORKERS WERE GREAT ALSO.
Great teaching environment
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2014
Oklahoma City Public Schools is a great place to work. There are so many schools in the district, and they are always hiring. It is great to be able to be a part of the education system and be a part of children's lives. Oklahoma City Public Schools has many placement options for any teacher out there.
OKCPS
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJune 15, 2014
Working with students who are severely disadvantaged came with many challenges, yet many rewards. Unfortunately, management and general education policy is pushing away good teachers to find better jobs.
working at schools
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 19, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: low pay
Prepare food for Students. Good Benefits. Management is good. coworkers are friendly, the hard part was the pay it wasn't enough for me to survive. I enjoyed working around kids.
Rewarding job - Poverty level income
Media Assistant (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 14, 2014
Pros: summer, spring, fall and winter break, the hours
Cons: very little pay
The job itself is remarkable! The hours are convenient and flexible; perfect if you have kids. The pay is not enough for a single income home.
Providing customer service for drivers
Secretary II (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 9, 2014
Pros: knew what was expected of me.
Cons: pay seemed well below everything they would assign you.
Filing, typing, and assisting drivers who needed help with the KRONOS Timekeeper Central, also tracking and assigning field trips to various drivers.
Simple job if you like it.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 29, 2014
Pros: help you get a cdl
Cons: too much drama everyone was quiet or too themself
Typical day driving buses.
What I learned is I know how to drive buses.
Management is terrible.
I only knew two of my co-workers they were pretty cool everybody else was about drama.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with kids and knowing the streets.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting off and don't see that place until Monday morning.
Productive and enthusiastic nature of students
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 23, 2014
-enjoy working with a diverse group of students
-learned patience with uncooperative students
Great kids in a great city
Teacher (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaMarch 30, 2014
The best part of being a teacher is making personal connections with students, families, and colleagues. Watching students grow as people and as learners in a "failing" school was one of the most challenging and gratifying experiences to date.
Enjoyed working with children.
TMR Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 4, 2013
Pros: children, education, co-workers
Cons: pay, healthcare, and management
In a typical day I assisted the lead teacher, working one on one with developmentally disabled children, helping them learn the basic life and education skills. I learned to understand that everyone is special and has a unique personality. I didn't always agree with managment decisions but respected them. My co-workers were great people to work with because of their passion for teaching and love for the children. The hardest part of my job was having to see such wonderful, happy children struggle with their disabilities, but the most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing the childrens success.
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 18, 2013
Managing a Thrift store was not as hard as I thought It would be. I would manage about 4-5 employees threw out the day. I would manage the money drops also manage the drawer count at the end of the shift. My duties would also include making sure the back room was always ready for tomorrow.
A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Emotionally Disturbed Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), OKLAHOMA CITY OKLAHOMAAugust 24, 2013
A TYPICAL WORK DAY AT DOUGLASS HIGH /SCHOOL MIDDLE SCHOOL IS WHEN BEGINNING MY DAY AT WORK IM AM GREETED WITH STUDENT THAT REQUIRE SPECIAL NEEDS TO HAVE A GREAT IMPACT ON THERE DESIRE TO LEARN AND THEIR LIFE SITUATION. MANAGEMENT WAS GOOD, I WORKED WITH ADMINISTRATORS THAT EITHER TAUGHT ME DURING HIGHSCHOOL OR A FAMILY MEMBER. DOUUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL HAS THE BEST CO WORKERS( TEACHING STAFF).WHAT I LEARNED FROM DOUGLASS HS/MS THINGS THAT I ALREADY KNEW BUT WAS GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO PASS ON THAT KNOWLEDGE NOT ONLY TO THE STUDENTS BUT TO SOME OF MY CO WORKERS. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS THAT IT IS CONTRACT WORK. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS THAT I HAVE MADE MY STUDENTS AND OTHER STUDENTS THERE ENJOY THEIR LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

About OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

If you are going by car, truck, or boat inĀ Oklahoma and you'd rather get there sooner than later, watch out for the Department – Read more

OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Salaries