OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

terrible district to work in
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City Public SchoolsOctober 5, 2016
It is ridiculous the low pay, the workload. They are constantly throwing new things at us all at once with little or NO training. Then we are expected to implement 10new things all at once, and do it perfectly.
No step raises yet AGAIN. I will NOT be continuing in this district.
n/a
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 16, 2017
Great opportunity, good benefits, set schedule, holidays off, hours where good. You feel like your own boss at times, great place to advance. I would definitely go back.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
n/a
Not on a Dare
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 13, 2016
If you are a teacher, run the other way. The kids are like kids everywhere, but the administration is horrible. Lots of good people work for this district, but the district and the state legislature do everything they can to make most of those people sick and miserable. You can join the union, but they do more for the district than the teachers.

If you want to be a teacher, try another district or another state. Maybe a charter or private school.
Pros
Lots of Great People
Cons
Worst Imaginable Management
Processes and procedures for completion of work orders are inefficient. Low wages cause difficulty finding experienced employees and keep them.
Oklahoma City (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 28, 2016
My coworkers are long time employees with the district. They are knowledgeable in their field. I can always go to anyone throughout the trades and ask any question that I may have.
Pros
There are 86 schools in the district, so I always have a different building to work in. There's always something different to encounter.
Cons
I don't have an immediate supervisor, The district won't offer enough to find a quality leader/lisenced contractor.
Awesome Property
Spanish/English Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 26, 2017
Management included customer face to face transactions with English and Spanish speaking tenants. Worked with programs such as Quick books and Microsoft Office Suites while training staff on day to day operations while maintaining a 98% occupancy rate, which in turn was able to keep a very high profitability.
Education is tough
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 12, 2017
Education is a difficult profession. The current view of educators in this state as communicated by those currently in charge makes being a teacher challenging.
Pros
working with kids
Great District To Work For
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 30, 2017
I have been apart of the OKCPS district for 5 years as a School Counselor and have served PK-12 grade. I love being a Counselor and the ability to serve all grade levels. There are opportunites to transfer schools, work with diverse student populations, serve at-risk students and be apart of many projects. The pay works for me and gives me the freedom to create the work/life I desire.
I Kinda Hated my Job
Special Education / A.V.I.D. Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 9, 2017
Working for OKCPS was not fun at all. The students were fine but the administration could not keep it together, turnover rate was extremely high. Please have thick skin if you plan to work there!
Pros
All the breaks
Cons
the lowest pay in the region
Right attitude
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 25, 2017
Come to school with positive attitude towards the students and staff. * Cooperates and works with other staff members in planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and methods. Being patience with students .
Pros
Make sure the students are learning better
Cons
Lack of materials to work with
It's okay to work at
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 17, 2016
Too much work to do for three ppl in the kitchen cooking cleaning and serving the kids that's a lot for little pay. The only part is Hood you get out for the breaks and you still get a check when the breaks are for the school kids that's the only good thing but the pay check isn't nothing because they take out for everything I recommend this job for a teenager who just getting our on her on.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Sometimes u don't get a break
It is what you make of it
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2015
These kids need educators who care about their learning. I love working with their families. Most are Hispanic, so often it is hard to communicate with their families and/or children. I have a passion for teaching. Benefits are awesome, but the pay is a joke... The hardest part of the job is knowing that there are over 3,000 children living in poverty, or are homeless in this district. often, the buses pick kids up underneath bridges. Seriously, breaks my heart.
Pros
vacations are awesome, and we get paid year round
Cons
no breaks. long days sometimes, and they will ask you to do extra work i.e. bus duty, after-care, etc. However, they do not pay you any additional income. So beware, and your best bet is to say NO. Management will use you until the cows come home.
work for the betterment of children
Executive Legal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 14, 2016
It is ok. The focus needs to stay on the children, and the betterment of the city of Oklahoma city. The district has many amazingly talented employees who put children first.
Pros
flexibilty in my department
Cons
consistancy in leadership
Lots of help to do your job.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 20, 2017
Oklahoma City Public Schools offers a diverse set of schools from which to choose from. Most of the children there are friendly and want to learn. Parents are pleasant.
Pros
Helpful people
love the job
School Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 20, 2016
the job is great but to much favoritism, theft, stealing time, and so much more going on. the job its self is great. i love picking up the students and getting them where they need to be safely. granted, not all the students are great, but there are always bullies on board at some time or other. the schools do not care what the kids do on the bus as long as they are not at the school.
Pros
you really gotta love the job
Cons
too many too list
Working hard to improve student achievement in an urban school setting.
Elementary Principal (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 14, 2016
Urban school setting, dedicated teachers, staff and administrators. Professional development training for improving skills
Hardworking families
community involvement
great students
Productive and fun work place.
School Teacher (Former Employee) –  OklahomaOctober 4, 2016
I enjoyed every moment working as a 6th grade school teacher and impacting kids lives daily. It was tough for me being the only 6th grade teacher in the school, but thanks to a great staff I had plenty of help from the 4th & 5th grade teachers.
Productive and challenging with an opportunity to change lives for the better
Paraprofessional/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 15, 2012
Arrive early, greet children, and attempt to bring out the best in each child.

I learn each day that no matter our age, race, or financial status, we can learn something from everyone.

Managing a classroom while the home room teacher is absent can be quite challenging, but the rewards far outweigh any challenges. Home room teacher notes assist a great deal.

Other teachers are there to assist when needed which relieves pressure.

The hardest part of my job is enforcing the established classroom discipline procedures (because they look so sweet and innocent).

The most enjoyable part of my job is leaving proud/praise notes for the home room teacher. Another enjoyable part of my job is witnessing a child grasp a concept that they have been struggling with.
Pros
flexible hours, numerous days off throughout the calendar year
Cons
short lunches, no benefits
Horrible environment
Operations Department Manager (Former Employee) –  OperationsJuly 14, 2016
All you need to do is follow the current events within the District. You have administrators in place that are being overpaid, where teaching salaries are at an all time low. You have turnover at the top and the trickle down effect is inevitable.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
High turnover within every department
Satisfactory wages and fun environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 4, 2015
I was blessed to be a part of a wonderful, ever advancing school managed by an award-winning, impressive principal.
I actually like to be fast paces, however there were times that we did not have the time for a proper break. We are limited on the way we should handle certain situations, and only found that those methods proved ineffective the majority of the time. The job is very rewarding and it is absolutely amazing to watch children grow so much over 10 months.
Pros
great health benefits, time off
Cons
very fast paced
Academic Achievement
Teacher's Assistant/ Special Education (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 5, 2016
Excellent reading curriculum. Taught me a lot about documentation and communication with parents and students. I would return to substitute.
Pros
Kept kids engaged
Cons
couldn't spend a lot of time on chapters.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Our community is ready to answer.

OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Reviews by Location