OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employer Reviews

Teaching is exciting and fun when teacher makes it that way
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2014
Pros: getting to know the delightful children
Cons: paperwork
I woke up every morning excited about the day. I had something special planned for every day. Almost every day, I took something new to show the class. I planned games and activities to make learning fun. I got great joy from finding each student's talents and strengths.

I worked really hard all day. At 3:30, when the kids go home, I sit down and have – more... a snack and then I get up and spend the next two hours getting everything ready for the next day.

What I learned: attitude is everything.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with principals who want the kids to sit down and be quiet all the time. That is not how children learn.

The most enjoyable part of the job is watching children learn. – less
Love working with Children
Counselors Secretary/ Attendance Clerk (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaSeptember 22, 2014
I loved working with both middle school and High School children they were so very interesting.
I GOT TO WORK AROUND CHILDREN AND THAT WAS EXCITING.
CHILD NUTRITION WORKER (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 21, 2014
I PREP FOOD AND RAN THE REGISTER. I LEARNED MANY DIFFERENT THINGS ABOUT THE HEALTH REGULATIONS AND MY CO-WORKERS WERE GREAT ALSO.
GREAT ENVIRONMENT
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), OKLAHOMA CITY, OKJuly 19, 2014
Pros: environment
Cons: my position didn't come with benefits
GOOD PLACE TO WORK. I WORKED AT CLASSEN SAS , VERY CARING STAFF AND PRINCIPAL.
Great teaching environment
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2014
Oklahoma City Public Schools is a great place to work. There are so many schools in the district, and they are always hiring. It is great to be able to be a part of the education system and be a part of children's lives. Oklahoma City Public Schools has many placement options for any teacher out there.
OKCPS
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJune 15, 2014
Working with students who are severely disadvantaged came with many challenges, yet many rewards. Unfortunately, management and general education policy is pushing away good teachers to find better jobs.
working at schools
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 19, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: low pay
Prepare food for Students. Good Benefits. Management is good. coworkers are friendly, the hard part was the pay it wasn't enough for me to survive. I enjoyed working around kids.
Rewarding job - Poverty level income
Media Assistant (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 14, 2014
Pros: summer, spring, fall and winter break, the hours
Cons: very little pay
The job itself is remarkable! The hours are convenient and flexible; perfect if you have kids. The pay is not enough for a single income home.
Providing customer service for drivers
Secretary II (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 9, 2014
Pros: knew what was expected of me.
Cons: pay seemed well below everything they would assign you.
Filing, typing, and assisting drivers who needed help with the KRONOS Timekeeper Central, also tracking and assigning field trips to various drivers.
Simple job if you like it.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 29, 2014
Pros: help you get a cdl
Cons: too much drama everyone was quiet or too themself
Typical day driving buses.
What I learned is I know how to drive buses.
Management is terrible.
I only knew two of my co-workers they were pretty cool everybody else was about drama.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with kids and knowing the streets.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting off and don't see that place until Monday morning.
Productive and enthusiastic nature of students
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 23, 2014
-enjoy working with a diverse group of students
-learned patience with uncooperative students
Great kids in a great city
Teacher (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaMarch 30, 2014
The best part of being a teacher is making personal connections with students, families, and colleagues. Watching students grow as people and as learners in a "failing" school was one of the most challenging and gratifying experiences to date.
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 18, 2013
Managing a Thrift store was not as hard as I thought It would be. I would manage about 4-5 employees threw out the day. I would manage the money drops also manage the drawer count at the end of the shift. My duties would also include making sure the back room was always ready for tomorrow.
A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Emotionally Disturbed Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), OKLAHOMA CITY OKLAHOMAAugust 24, 2013
A TYPICAL WORK DAY AT DOUGLASS HIGH /SCHOOL MIDDLE SCHOOL IS WHEN BEGINNING MY DAY AT WORK IM AM GREETED WITH STUDENT THAT REQUIRE SPECIAL NEEDS TO HAVE A GREAT IMPACT ON THERE DESIRE TO LEARN AND THEIR LIFE SITUATION. MANAGEMENT WAS GOOD, I WORKED WITH ADMINISTRATORS THAT EITHER TAUGHT ME DURING HIGHSCHOOL OR A FAMILY MEMBER. DOUUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL – more... HAS THE BEST CO WORKERS( TEACHING STAFF).WHAT I LEARNED FROM DOUGLASS HS/MS THINGS THAT I ALREADY KNEW BUT WAS GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO PASS ON THAT KNOWLEDGE NOT ONLY TO THE STUDENTS BUT TO SOME OF MY CO WORKERS. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS THAT IT IS CONTRACT WORK. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS THAT I HAVE MADE MY STUDENTS AND OTHER STUDENTS THERE ENJOY THEIR LEARNING EXPERIENCE. – less
schools were very supportive
Counselor (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 29, 2013
Pros: working with adolescents
Cons: only 5 years
OKC Public Schools were most cooperative in providing space for counseling services, flexible for special projects & helpful in getting services to students, families & staff in need.
Turning around
English Teacher (Former Employee), Oklahoma CityJune 1, 2013
A nice place with really great and really mediocre people. The really great people are passionate about students and making a difference, I feel that the only vacation seekers are slowly be weeded out.
Assistant Controller (Current Employee), Purcell, OKMay 8, 2013
Pros: summers off
Cons: pay scale
I learned how important time and data management are. I work with some of the nicest teachers.
Worked in this school
Former school teacher at this location (Former Employee), Okc okFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: summer breaks
Cons: the pay, the parents, the administration, and a lot of the kids ;-(
If you want a challenge then this is the place; it's not for the faint at heart. Little pay, little respect, little help! But if you have the opportunity to change one life then it'll be well worth the hassle you will endure while working here.

A former employee
if u like food this is the place for you
Child Nutrition Substitute (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: frre time between lunch and cooking food
Cons: sometime bored from nothing to do
pull food, clean food, cook food and give to kids clean up when you are done
Love the job
Principal Secretary (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: money
I was sorry to have to resign my position there, but for my health and personal life it was a must. I love the school.

About OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

If you are going by car, truck, or boat inĀ Oklahoma and you'd rather get there sooner than later, watch out for the Department – Read more