OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Learning how to with four year olds
Pre-K Teacher (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 20, 2017
I received hand-on experience with children from broken homes, along working with parents in teaching them about early Childhood development parenting skills. As a Oklahoma licensed Foster parents. I will work with this place children who are we wards of the state of Oklahoma by providing them with a saafe with a carrying home while parents that themselves together.
Pros
I was very good and what I'd be working with children and fast.
Cons
I hated the key is that was in the success story but I did my best.
Educational Institution with a fun and growing environment with assisting youth in everyday skills and life.
Teacher Assistants (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 20, 2017
A typical day as an assistant can began with assisting students off the bus, routine cafeteria duty in the morning, walking assigned students to their classroom, and starting the days work. In the classroom my daily duties consist of assisting the teacher in classroom lectures, and helping students one on one. My out of the classroom duties consist of cafeteria duties for lunch, chaperoned restroom breaks, and assisting students on the bus for after school pick up.

The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing that I'm a positive influence to the growth and development of the students.
Pay is not equal to requirement for job.
PE Teacher/ Coach (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 15, 2017
Working for OKCPS is a difficult job. Working with the kids is great. Lack of resources and horrible salary scale make it a difficult job for anyone to be totally successful or be able to provide for yourself little lone a family.
educator
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 9, 2017
The administration office had high turnover which left some people falling through the cracks. This made it a little difficult for the administration team to follow through the needs of the teachers.
enjoy interacting with people
Security Scanner (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 5, 2017
Check in students vender or parents Clean well managed. Enjoy interacting with public Games , Graduation ,Band ,Learning enviroment Office Staff Teachers Guests.Learned being cheerful and patiet helps myself as well as others
Pros
health insurance
Cons
need better pay
Crooked upper management
Professional Development Dept. (Former Employee) –  OKCPSApril 26, 2017
If you think you want to work in the PD department THINK AGAIN! This is NOT about helping students or teachers its about personal gain and agendas!
RUN AWAY!!!
Pros
students
Cons
adults in management
Fun and Productive work environment
Bilingual Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 30, 2017
I love working with all the children from the OKCPS district. OKCPS has given me many opportunities which includes continuing my education. A typical day at work would be arriving to my classroom grading any paperwork necessary. Next, pulling children in groups to work on bettering their education. My workplace is very diverse. The thing I enjoy the most is being able to see the children grow both physically and educationally.
Pros
vacation, helping students get an education and being able to help them
Cons
The pay is not the best, but the students and vacations compensate it
Lots of work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 16, 2017
Due to the budget deficits in the state of Oklahoma, I am currently doing the job of 5 people. They RIF'd 4 positions and those duties had to go somewhere but all of them in my building fell on the counseling department. I don't feel that I am able to do my job adequately or fairly.
Pros
Love working with our future
Cons
Not enough support nor pay
n/a
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 16, 2017
Great opportunity, good benefits, set schedule, holidays off, hours where good. You feel like your own boss at times, great place to advance. I would definitely go back.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
n/a
I Kinda Hated my Job
Special Education / A.V.I.D. Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 9, 2017
Working for OKCPS was not fun at all. The students were fine but the administration could not keep it together, turnover rate was extremely high. Please have thick skin if you plan to work there!
Pros
All the breaks
Cons
the lowest pay in the region
Great District To Work For
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 30, 2017
I have been apart of the OKCPS district for 5 years as a School Counselor and have served PK-12 grade. I love being a Counselor and the ability to serve all grade levels. There are opportunites to transfer schools, work with diverse student populations, serve at-risk students and be apart of many projects. The pay works for me and gives me the freedom to create the work/life I desire.
Awesome Property
Spanish/English Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 26, 2017
Management included customer face to face transactions with English and Spanish speaking tenants. Worked with programs such as Quick books and Microsoft Office Suites while training staff on day to day operations while maintaining a 98% occupancy rate, which in turn was able to keep a very high profitability.
Right attitude
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 25, 2017
Come to school with positive attitude towards the students and staff. * Cooperates and works with other staff members in planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and methods. Being patience with students .
Pros
Make sure the students are learning better
Cons
Lack of materials to work with
Lots of help to do your job.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 20, 2017
Oklahoma City Public Schools offers a diverse set of schools from which to choose from. Most of the children there are friendly and want to learn. Parents are pleasant.
Pros
Helpful people
Education is tough
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 12, 2017
Education is a difficult profession. The current view of educators in this state as communicated by those currently in charge makes being a teacher challenging.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
Processes and procedures for completion of work orders are inefficient. Low wages cause difficulty finding experienced employees and keep them.
Oklahoma City (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 28, 2016
My coworkers are long time employees with the district. They are knowledgeable in their field. I can always go to anyone throughout the trades and ask any question that I may have.
Pros
There are 86 schools in the district, so I always have a different building to work in. There's always something different to encounter.
Cons
I don't have an immediate supervisor, The district won't offer enough to find a quality leader/lisenced contractor.
work for the betterment of children
Executive Legal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 14, 2016
It is ok. The focus needs to stay on the children, and the betterment of the city of Oklahoma city. The district has many amazingly talented employees who put children first.
Pros
flexibilty in my department
Cons
consistancy in leadership
Not on a Dare
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 13, 2016
If you are a teacher, run the other way. The kids are like kids everywhere, but the administration is horrible. Lots of good people work for this district, but the district and the state legislature do everything they can to make most of those people sick and miserable. You can join the union, but they do more for the district than the teachers.

If you want to be a teacher, try another district or another state. Maybe a charter or private school.
Pros
Lots of Great People
Cons
Worst Imaginable Management
Working hard to improve student achievement in an urban school setting.
Elementary Principal (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 14, 2016
Urban school setting, dedicated teachers, staff and administrators. Professional development training for improving skills
Hardworking families
community involvement
great students
terrible district to work in
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City Public SchoolsOctober 5, 2016
It is ridiculous the low pay, the workload. They are constantly throwing new things at us all at once with little or NO training. Then we are expected to implement 10new things all at once, and do it perfectly.
No step raises yet AGAIN. I will NOT be continuing in this district.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Our community is ready to answer.

OKLAHOMA CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Reviews by Location