Oklahoma Department Of Corrections Employee Reviews

Major safety concerns
LPN II (Former Employee) –  McLoud, OKAugust 14, 2017
There are no security officers posted in the medical unit routinely. It is only the medical staff, and the offenders. If there is an security issue, normal response time, if you are able to call for response is 3-5 minutes. Not all medical unit staff are issued a radio, there is only one in the entire unit, and it is kept at the nurses station. Medical staff are often in private areas without cameras monitoring due to offender privacy, and are dealing with offenders one on one. There is no support from management to change policy to make the medical unit safer for the employees or offenders.
Oklahoma Departmen of Corrections
Corporal (Former Employee) –  Idabel, OKAugust 12, 2017
This was a job I was going to retire at until the unforeseen closing of the center were I worked at. This was a great job for advancement and I was working my way up the ladder. The job was stressful and I had to maintain whom I was and came out with more knowledge.
Pros
great with salary, advancement and great oppurtunities
Cons
Highly stressful
Stressfull
LPN II (Current Employee) –  Lexington, OKAugust 10, 2017
Overall a good place to work. However pay is low and stress is high. Medical is a difficult place to work in the prison system. Long term the stress is too high for a long term career choice.
Great Benefits
Grants Accountant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 2, 2017
As support staff at the DOC, I didn't have the rigorous hours that a correctional office had, but overall, my experience has been good. The benefits are great, however, most of the department hasn't had a pay raise in over 10 years. That is a big negative in my opinion.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No pay raises in 10 years
Great benefits
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 27, 2017
Most of the days where spent helping end users with their equipment and software problems.We upgraded and installed new software and equipment. We did have remote access which help speed up the down time if it could be corrected by remote login
Job had it ups and downs
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Hobart, OKJune 12, 2017
The job wasn't horrible if you like baby sitting 30 year old men and women who continues to do the wrong thing no matter how much one tries to help them and you have no support form the upper management.
It's is very stressful and wears on your life.
Sargent/ Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Lexington, OKJune 7, 2017
This jobs is very stressful and comes home with you and makes home worse. They did not do good to me after the many times I did good to them. But they are a good place to work at most times if you are dedicated to work or are single.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Never get anytime off even though I have some built up.
Summary
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Union City, OKApril 19, 2017
Work on cases all day, very little time with clients and to much focus on paperwork. There is very little chance for advancement or extra duty assignments.
Great job Security and Insurance, did not like working nights and 12 hour
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Sayre, OKApril 12, 2017
It was a good job Entry level job but I was working night all the time on 12 hour shifts. it had great insurance benefits and job security was a plus.
Pros
benifets and job security
Cons
12 hour shifts and nights
Productive and family friendly
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 26, 2017
Demanding sometime overwhelming workload. The expectations to maintain superb caseload management with a minimal resources and system support. the most enjoyable part of my job is the people that I work with, they are very understandable and support.
Pros
flexiblle work schedule
Cons
overwhelming caseload
No comment
Administrative Programs Officer I (Former Employee) –  Ft. Supply, OKMarch 20, 2017
I enjoyed my job but didnt like the work atmosphere. The State of Oklahoma DOC needs more funding to be able to keep employees in a safe environment...
It's ok
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Helena, OKMarch 16, 2017
The benefits are good but the training needs to be better. There is definitely job security and that's a plus but I don't see myself making a career out of this.
Difficult place to work
Project Manager/Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73111March 8, 2017
It was a very difficult place to work. Management struggled with the idea of managing staff the same way they managed offenders. Overall it was a difficult job that takes a special person to do.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Violent environments
Great career for anyone.
Correctional Security Officer II (Former Employee) –  Wilson, OKFebruary 24, 2017
Not a job for just anyone. Great place to work with great benefits. The hardest part would be gaining respect of the inmates because that is a necessity for the job.
Great benefits and some good people to work with but they take inmates word over the officer.
Correctional Officer Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKFebruary 16, 2017
It used to be a good place to work. But now it's not so good they fire people over stuff they can't prove happened or just because the inmates say it happened. I would not recommend people to go to work there.
I enjoyed helping people and all the hours they could give me
Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKFebruary 15, 2017
I always had work to do, worked with trusting officers, pay was really good with all the overtime I could handle and the long drive to and from work gave me time to relax.
Pros
Benefits, overtime, the officers
Cons
Not very much time to spend at home with the family
Review Summary
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Lexington, OKFebruary 9, 2017
too many people assigned to do tasks that shouldn't take as many people as assigned. micromanagement everywhere you go. no consistency.
No electronic, and reading material at work have to pay attention to inmates at all times
Correctional Security Officer Level II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKJanuary 5, 2017
Provides security and supervision to inmates in a variety of situations and activities; maintain security of an assigned area or post. Provides security and supervision over inmate work crews; escorts inmates to work sites; inventories and controls all equipment, weapons, tools and keys. Patrols yards, grounds, cell houses, corridors, dormitories and work areas on an assigned shift; observes activities and movements of inmates; manages inmate conduct, work and discipline. Maintains order and discipline in programs and during meals and recreation periods; inspects living areas, facilities and work locations for unauthorized objects or materials; makes reports on incidents. Operates manually or electronically controlled security equipment maintaining controlled movement of inmates, staff and the public. Conducts inmate counts; performs searches of inmates and living quarters for contraband; enforces institutional rules and regulations. Prepares written documentation and reports concerning inmate behavior, status and movement. Participates on escape and apprehension teams; responds to riots and fires.

I what i learned is time management, team-based environment, leadership skills, attention to detail.

Management challenge me to make quick accurate decisions under pressure.

The co-workers are there to help others, some of the co-workers make the work environment challenging, and there is co-workers that make the work environment hard.

The hardest part of the job is the long hours at work. and when the inmates don't cooperate makes the job little more difficult.

The
  more... co-workers, and free food.  less
Pros
Free food, health insurance
Cons
long working hours, long work weeks, long drive to work
No room for advancement
Accountant III (Current Employee) –  McAlester, OKJanuary 5, 2017
It is typically impossible to advance in this employer. They do not give raises. Most locations require you to be searched before you can enter as well as all items you bring with you have to be in a clear container. This can make bringing your lunch or a cup of coffee very difficult.
State agency with issues
Nurse Practitioner - Family Practice (Former Employee) –  McLoud, OK 74851November 22, 2016
Great place to provide medical care. Very difficult to do your job with so many others trying to micro-manage your every move. Much easier to deal with the inmate population than the staff most times.