Oklahoma Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Fun place to work and excellent management
Social Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 14, 2017
A typical day at work was quick paced depending on the day of the week otherwise relaxed.
Learned a lot about customer service
Most enjoyable part was working with my colleagues and the clients.
Pros
great benefits
Stagnet
Social Worker/Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKNovember 6, 2017
I haven't worked here in some time, not quite sure of the benefits or job progression. During the time I worked there, the pay was not very competitive.
Benefits
Cons
Job progression
I adminstered Department of Human Services policy for most Public Assistance programs.
Social Worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKOctober 19, 2017
I made nursing home and home visits on a regular basis. I completed my reviews on time. I enjoyed working with people who were in crisis and needed our help.
work place
Child Welfare Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKOctober 12, 2017
A typical day working with the Department consist of coming to work and planning out your day to meet with your youth, driving for 2-3 hours to visit youth. documenting the visits. scheduling and or transporting youth to appointments. Coming back from a long day and staffing with supervisor. Depending on how she feels is the response you will receive. attending court hearings and consulting with physicians and or mental health consultants.
Pros
great workers
This job sucked
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Kay county oklahomaOctober 7, 2017
The idea is take children for everything and keep them as long as possible. If a child is harmed in the system tell nobody or blame fosters. I never got questions asked and was told to exagerate to the judge to keep kids in state funded care.
Pros
You could make a difference if they let you
Cons
Nobody cares about the kids or families
Fast-paced and interesting
Director of Child Care Services (Current Employee) –  OKC, OKSeptember 26, 2017
OKDHS is a wonderful service agency. Serving others is rewarding as well as interesting. Employees at OKDHS tend to have strong relationships and support each other and their customers. OKDHS fosters an atmosphere of continual learning and customer service.
Pros
Insurance, savings plans, personal gratification from serving others
Cons
Sometimes work-life balance is a challenge
It was Ok.
Child Welfare Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 25, 2017
I don't know why I have to complete this section. It seems kind of redundant. Everyone knows the challenges of working for the state. It was not for me.
I was a foster mom
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, OKSeptember 13, 2017
I don't have a review I was a foster mom I got up at 2 am when my boys did tried to get them back to sleep ... We never received any help to get any breaks from our foster children as we were told we would no breaks in 2 years...
legislative issues
Sr. Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 29, 2017
Not knowing if you will have a job from year to year because of the legislature inability to manage fiscal responsibilities. I learned a lot. I liked my manager and I love the continuous learning opportunities
benefits
Cons
Legislative issues with budget constant non knowing if you will have a job
Terrible
Child Welfare Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Canadian County, OKAugust 21, 2017
Management is on a power trip. Caseload far too large. They do not care about their workers and the clients are just numbers. Too much stress, no help, impossible deadlines
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Terrible work environment.
Very Stressful and time consuming
Child Welfare Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, OKAugust 21, 2017
Very Stressful job and time consuming. Spend a tremendous amount of time away from your own family. We would spend more time doing the job than spending with our own family. We were on call even after we went home. As an employee we were expected to meet impossible time frames.
Productive and fun work place, enjoy my work and help others enjoy their ride, I prefer to help people enjoy the experience and calmly
Child Welfare Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Purcell, OKAugust 15, 2017
I enjoy helping people and giving directions. I believe my calm demeanor and ability to stay calm under intense situations. Giving directions to peaople to save lives in necessary situations liked keeping families together and helping them learn new ways to become safer parents.
Pros
direct customer service, making an impact on families, keeping families safe and together when possible, being the voice of the children and family.
Cons
families didn't always try their best and gave up too quickly
Child Welfare
Administrative Technician III (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2017
You come in feeling like you are trying to make lives better for children who may be in negative home situations. Many cases end up investigated that are unsubstantiated, and others end up ruled out that should have likely been further investigated. This is sad work.
Rewarding
Supervisor/Child Protective Services (Former Employee) –  OklahomaAugust 5, 2017
Typical social work environment. Lots of work, little work-life balance, heaps of stress, for too little compensation. However, it is an important and rewarding job that is greatly undervalued and misunderstood. I don't regret a moment of it and I learned a great deal.
Not the place to work.
Child Welfare Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 3, 2017
The case load in Cleveland County is 200%. They wanted you to push people through without helping anyone. When you did have your children removed. The parents with childern that miss behaved more and blew placement often got there children back faster then the parents that had children that were well behaved. The system is broken and no one wants too fix it. Divorce lawyers tell parents to call DHS to make their divorce cases better. This is abuse of the system that is already to extended. The state keeps took away all the assistant and student jobs, so the child welfare specialist have no help.
Pros
Cons
everything
Important Work
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 2, 2017
The most rewarding part of my job is working closely with families to help parents correct conditions while providing treatment for the children and parents to work toward reuniting. Placing families back together is the most enjoyable part of what I do each day.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, exposure to other professional agencies
Cons
Stressful, on-call daily
Social Work
Adult Protective Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Ardnore, OKJuly 22, 2017
As a social worker for 10 years I liked helping others help themselves have a better life. Sometimes it does see like a hapless job, but knowing someone is being helped makes the difference.
Pros
Hours were 8-5
Cons
Social work is very stressful at times. Morale gets low.
Stressful Workplace
Social Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 15, 2017
More training is necessary in what pertains directly to your job. A typical day is returning messages and trying to stay on top of enormous case load.
Loved working with famiies.
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duncan, OKJuly 13, 2017
Great company to work for. Very family oriented and for the majority, everyone very willing to help. Loved the flexibility of own schedule, as long as job was done.
Pros
Typically over 40 hrs/wk
Cons
Situations in dealing with angry people.
I loved/hated working there.
Administrative Technician III (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 12, 2017
I enjoyed my particular job. I loved that I was able to work at my own pace and was able to create and implement procedures to make our work area more productive. What I hated about it was management and how they handled their employees. Some of them would refuse to do their jobs, and management wouldn't do anything. They would just have someone else do it. I was one who was chosen to do my job and theirs. It wouldn't have been so bad if they would have returned the favor and helped me when/if I needed it, but they never did. I've never worked anywhere that it was ok to tell your boss you weren't doing what they asked without any type of repercussions.
Pros
Decent benefits, worked at my own pace, flexible schedule
Cons
constant worry of job cuts, bad management