Oklahoma Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Productive workplace with great health benefits
Social Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sallisaw, OKNovember 30, 2016
My typical day at work consisted of reviewing applications, scheduling interviews, completing interviews, inputting data, determining eligibility, answering phone calls, returning voicemails, making phone calls, and managing caseload. I learned organization skills and multitasking. I had a great supervisor and county director. My supervisor was respectful, compassionate, understanding, a great teacher, and a great friend. My co-workers were team players and always willing to help out a fellow co-worker. The hardest part of my job was denying benefits to people who were in need but did not meet qualifications. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people achieve their goals and become self-sufficient.
Pros
Health benefits, leave
Cons
No opportunity to promote
Management needs a complete overhaul
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 28, 2016
The job is good for entry level right out of college, its salary and great benefits. However management is corrupt and upper management needs a complete overhaul to have a productive successful environment.
I love the job, but do not like dealing with office politics.
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  OklahomaNovember 29, 2015
A typical day as Case Worker you meet with Bio-Parents and children. You help develop a treatment plan working the parents and help connect them to community services. The position was created to help keep families together versus the children being removed from the home, as researchers have found removals can cause more trauma to the children in the long run. The hours are 8-5; however you end up working outside of these hours a lot. The company does not pay overtime unless you work more than 200 hours over in a month. All of the extra hours you work go become compensation hours. It is a very demanding and high stressed job, as you are working with families with children in their home which are considered at risk or in danger. Not only do you have to worry about families, but office politics are a major part of the stress.
Pros
Helping Families
Cons
Office Politics
Great starter job
Social Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Stilwell, OKMarch 28, 2016
Great starter job. Little to no room for advancement both in position and salary. Learned a lot about local social classes.
City Hall vs City employment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 18, 2016
I worked for COT for over 16 years. My first assignment was in Police Records and it proved to be one of the best departments to build a stable work ethic. Ultimately, I transferred to a various department while being promoted and realized the "greener grass" was mud, aka Finance Dept. Happy beginnings lead to a sad but needed to end tenure.
Pros
Stable work environment under Enterprise funding.
Cons
General funding in relation to the Finance Dept.
Most of the people we help are really trying to better themselves.
Social Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Idabel, OKSeptember 16, 2013
I interview clients all day and certify cases. I help other workers when they need help.
I have learned that there are a lot of people who need help and someone to listen to them
Most of our management are easy to get along with and are very helpful.
Co-workers mostly try to help each other and out clients.
The constant changing of our rules and programs.
Helping other people and the other workers.
Pros
Ability to take off when needed, people help each other when needed.
Cons
no raises, you sometimes feel like upper management does not have your back if something happens.
Nice safe career
Social Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, OKJuly 20, 2013
A typical day at work is usually very hectic in nature. I complete new applications for benefits. I review policy for accuracy. I help fellow workers with questions in reviewing a case. I interview new and existing clients. I talk to clients, team member and management on a daily basis. I find needed resources that DHS does not provide. I have learned to be very punctual with deadlines. I have learned how to be patient with clients and also co-workers who are not as self-motivated as I am. I have learned as well how to manage my time and keep myself organized. My management is great. They allow me to work with very little involvement. I have earned their trust with the quality of work that I produce. I really enjoy my co-workers. I have learned how to deal with many different personalities. The hardest part of my job is sometimes I can not help some people desperately in need because of policy I do not like. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that I have had a meaningful impact on someone else's life.
Pros
Able to work without supervision, sense of civic responsibility
Cons
Low pay and very little advancement, dead-end career
Child Welfare
Child Welfare Worker (Former Employee) –  Holdenville, OKFebruary 13, 2016
A typical day included dealing with allegations of child abuse and/or neglect. I worked with parents, attorney's, doctor's, agency staff, peers, and supervisor's to diminish and hopefully eliminate child abuse and/or neglect. This was accomplished with using policy as a guideline with various psychosocial methods and resources.

I learned that most parents want to be good, dependable, responsible, and loving parents to their children. They lack education and support in most cases. It is possible to diminish child abuse and neglect with appropriate support systems and training to implement alternative parenting skills.

Management was supportive and available to guide or listen to worker challenges in their job. My co- workers were supportive and open with their experiences. We had weekly lunches together to build positive work relations.

The hardest part of the job was to discover parents had no love for their child(ren). It is difficult to imagine people that don't care for their child wouldn't give them up for adoption to a loving life.

The most enjoyable part of this job was to see a family together months and years after working with them and they hadn't had any indicators or reports of child abuse or neglect.
Pros
Provide a safe environment for children
Cons
Realizing families aren't able to provide a safe environment for their children
excellent place of employment to gain social services skills.
Social Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKApril 22, 2014
A typical day at work was receiving 35-50 calls per day and to return calls within 48 hours. To manage 375 case load management to provide assistance for state and federally funded programs.
I have learned from this job to maintain my professionalism even on the most difficult days. My professionalism is/was a reflection of the agency.
Oklahoma Dept of Human Services management(County Director), was supportive and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was maintaining my composer with rude and disrespectful client's. It was difficult but was accomplished.
I worked with some of the most wonderful and caring co-workers.
My most enjoyable part of the job was that I had helped families maintain their quality of life.
Pros
Work week adjustments because not allowed any over time hours
Cons
No pay increases or job promotions
Supportive Colleagues, Poor Time Management
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ada, OKOctober 22, 2013
Given the nature of the work, it's difficult to stay in it long-term no matter how supportive the work atmosphere was. Nevertheless, the management and colleagues were generally supportive and team-oriented. Still, given the fact that there is high turnover in this field and caseloads for individual social workers were way higher than should be, it was nearly impossible to have a life outside of the position since on-call work hours did not stop at the one week assignment per month. Other than that, however, the team-oriented atmosphere was positive given the long work hours. Benefit coverage was excellent, but compensation was extremely poor given the high-stress nature and long work hours of the job.
Difficult job
Administrative Technician III (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 7, 2014
Seeing 30+ customers an hour and expected to make no mistakes even when new. Customers are rude even though you are there to help them. management does not back up their employees. Child Welfare workers are overworked and have a bad attitude and take it out on the lower workers. Difficult job with great pay and benefits.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
culture
For entry level social services work, it's a good place to start.
Social Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKAugust 8, 2014
Most days are busy. There are a lot of people in need of State services. My co-workers are good people and strive to help one another to get the job done. I have made life-long friends here.
Pros
You get an hour for lunch. Good health benefits.
Cons
Low wages. Level 3 positions no longer exist so promotions are limited after level 2.
Great Entry-Level Work Experience.
Senior Undergraduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 17, 2013
Public service compensation with efficient benefits. Job security with little advancement. Poor management.
Very Stressful Job
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  McAlester, OKMay 15, 2013
I enjoy my job, but given the position I'm in, Child Welfare Specialist, you see and deal with situations that are very disturbing. There is no typical day in the office. It can be a calm day where you're able to get your appointments completed as planned; turn in your reports; or you may be called out to investigate an emergency situation and are unable to get any of your planned tasks completed. That's the nature of the business if you will. I investigate allegations of abuse and determine the next appropriate steps to take. That may be petitioning the court for custody intervention, or putting programs in the home to build a better, stable home life.
Pros
Stability, medical benefits, PTO
Cons
High stress, low pay grade, and paid monthly
comfortable place
Therapeutic Foster Parent - Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  okc, okJuly 24, 2015
a comfortable place to work at. I learned a lot about working in an office, management is not really good managers and not trained properly, the hardest part of the job is to my people making decisions without ever making those decisions. the most enjoyable pat is working with friends and co workers.
Helpful environment
Social Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 30, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping families become successful and self sufficient.
Pros
Advancement possibilities, benefits
Cons
Compensation
This is a difficult company to be a part.
Programs Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 18, 2013
This is an organization that meets an important need within the community.
Benefits
Cons
Family oriented and great public agency
Training Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 2, 2015
The Oklahoma Department of Human Services is a great agency to work for. Although the salary is lower than most, the benefits package offset. Family oriented and committed to improving Oklahoma's families.
Challenging and fast paced work environment
Social Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  OKJuly 12, 2014
A typical day at a busy Oklahoma county office can see hundreds of Oklahomans in a week. I make my living assessing their need factors and establishing eligibility for services. The hardest part of the job is sorting out who is receiving help first. The most enjoyable part is taking care of as many clients as possible. What I've learned is that you better be quick, because someone else is counting on me.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Low pay.
Things changed from day to day
Information Systems Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 26, 2012
I worked with a great group of people and a boss who wouldn't ask you to do something that he wasn't willing to do. Most days consisted of repairing computers, mailing out parts to other divisions of the agency so their IT person could do the repairs. Sometimes we would deliver new or repaired equipment to offices throughout the state.
Pros
good people, great boss, decent benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oklahoma Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Oklahoma Department of Human Services Reviews by Location