Oklahoma State University Employee Reviews

Productive, supportive and family environment
Graduate Assistant of the OSU Equestrian Team (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJanuary 9, 2013
From Monday to Friday, I drive to the OSU Equestrian Barn at 8:30. I start the day with unlocking the offices and locker room. I then create a schedule to assign a particular horse to each team member and post it on the bulletin board. The team arrives at the barn around 9 where I help them prepare their horses for practice. In the absence of the head coach, I am in charge of conducting practice. I usually teach for 2 hours. When I am not needed for practice, I am in the office filing paper work and answering phone calls. I keep track of all the medical and personal information of teammates in folders and organize them alphabetically. When OSU Equestrian hosts NCAA official recruits, I am in charge of showing them around our facilities as well as OSU's campus. I also shuttle recruits to and from their hotels and the airport when needed. The best part about my job is that I still get to be involved with the team I spent 4 years of my undergraduate with. Throughout my experiences as being a graduate assistant, I've learned time management skills and leadership skills. While I was on the team, I was more focused on winning our competitions. As a graduate assistant, I've learned how to use my leadership skills to guide younger teammates by providing personal counseling and social support. The hardest thing about my job is the working conditions. OSU Equestrian's barn is not air-conditioned or heated so weather can be troublesome.
Pros
family environment, very helpful and adjustable
Cons
tough environmental working conditions, early hours
Diverse, low stress environment, printing items for staff and faculty.
Printing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 23, 2014
My job at OSU-OKC was much like my previous jobs working for a printing press and, earlier in my career, a math textbook publisher. My typical day was spent coordinating printed materials for school faculty and staff, and occasionally supervising others in doing so.

Management was very effective and approachable, and co-workers were friendly, hard-working, and team-oriented. Frequently a teacher or upper management would contact me or my manager with a large amount of print work to be completed in a very limited time frame, but we welcomed these challenges and were able to fulfill all print orders efficiently and on-time. During the last 2 years of my employment we were allowed to do printing for the public and other businesses, to great effect and reasonable profit.

The hardest part of the job was accepting a near-minimum wage compensation with little opportunity for advancement, profit-sharing, or bonuses.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to attend classes part-time and have tuition and fees reimbursed. I took advantage of this in order to develop new skills for a new profession, with which I was able to leverage myself away from the print trade toward new opportunity.
Pros
great benefits, low stress, friendly coworkers
Cons
limited compensation, limited advancement opportunities
I was in charge of maintaining the mac labs in the art building.
Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Bartlett CenterJanuary 23, 2013
Being in charge of the mac labs included printer maintenance and upkeep, mac maintenance and upkeep, management of software and the art building network, and providing tutorials for teachers or their within the art building. Majority of the my time was spent helping out other students with their problems and address them in a manor as quickly as possible. I worked with one other student and we split our time equally on duty. I was managed by the head of the Art Building but his knowledge of networks and mac maintenance was limited so myself and my colleague had near free reign on the job. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable. Being on call 24/7 made for some crazy hours because students were in the labs at all hours of the day. I got to meet lots of students in other departments and it kept the job interesting. What I valued most from this job was time management. It taught me to juggle a work and personal class schedule. I had to be sure to budget my time well, because it was impossible to predict when my help was needed.
Pros
made my own hours.
Cons
limited number of work hours i could record.
Engineer Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 25, 2014
Part time Job. The day to day of each class varied on what I was offered and took for the semester.
Management was often very supportive and easy to work with.
Co-workers (not often had) were also good to work with, seldom but to go over the requirements of work, grades, reports to keep everything standard.
The hardest part of these were usually the odd hours that may be requested to help students in the course that could not meet during normal office hours.
The best part was being able to help the students. Especially when you can answer questions and give that that little bit so they understand the nature of the class. Or when a student gives you a story on something you did or talked about in the class/lab helped them with something important to the.
Pros
well paid for work, learning experiences, gain responsibilities
Cons
students may come up to you and ask questions at very akward times.
Productive workplace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJanuary 18, 2014
I learned how to conduct productive graduate level research. The chemistry that I did was focused on industrial applications and remediation for industry. The philosophical focus of my work was on nanotechnology in novel method and reagent development towards industrial applications. The premise that guided me personally was a low production cost and high profit margin drive. In this setting I learned a wide scope of chemical instrumentation and chemical computational software. I learned how to interact with different peoples of the world, at the same time working in a team with diverse populations. The most enjoyable part of my job was doing research that developed new technologies and also teaching students of different backgrounds about chemical technologies.
Pros
the research facilites and instruments available
Cons
it was a poorly managed institution, without checks and balances that promoted a good working culture, a lot of office politics and fear driven government was the biggest drawback
I Love Doing This!
Basketball Camp Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 19, 2012
This is seasonal work, that I wish I could do year round. I've worked the Oklahoma State University basketball camp for the past 4 years. I supervise about 25 to 30 grade school aged kids in the dormitories, I'm responsible for seeing to it that lights out happens and that they are awake on time. I coach and teach them the fundamental skills of basketball as well as team concepts. I love all the other coaches/counselors from all over different areas, they are great people. The hardest part of this job is leaving after camp is over and the most enjoyable part is the relationships you build in such a short period of time, that last until the following year when the same familiar face remembers you just like you remember them.
Pros
basketball, kids, fun and games
Cons
ends too soon
We always got the job done
Housekeeping Foreman (Former Employee) –  Stillwater OklahomaJuly 7, 2014
I would check email, phone calls. Assign people where that we were short. Take care of different problems that came up, inspect floors. Do daily log. I was over 50 people
I learned how to clean everything in our buildings, I took a course in Ambassador Leadership.
My co-workers were very hard working people, we got a long great and helped each other when needed.
Taking care of conflicts between employees. Summer Conferences, Turn around week end was a night mare.
When I was a housekeeper walking down the hall and seeing I did a good job. I felt I did my best and the kids would be able to use the facilities without worrying about catching anything
Pros
we had good benefits
Cons
lousy pay, we were out scoured
The best tenure and learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Mechanical EnigneeringSeptember 26, 2013
As a Research Assistant in my master’s degree, I carried out wear analysis of nanostructured 9Cr steel for hybrid roller contact bearings. The wear life of bearing was improved 10 times than the existing steel. In my tenure as a Lab Assistant for 2 years, I trained over 400 students in laboratory in mechanical testing, surface preparation for metallographic analysis, and root cause failure analysis of automotive and aerospace parts. As a part of my job I also conducted lectures on fundamental topics of Materials Science including role of materials and their properties in mechanical product design that helped me improve my technical, interpersonal and mass communication skills. I have set up new lab equipment, and was part of a lab maintenance team. I developed a strong ability to analyze and interpret the test data as well as evaluate the reports on materials testing.
It is a fun place and people are warm and friendly
Computer Programmer (Current Employee) –  stillwater,OKMarch 19, 2015
* A typical day at work always starts with the current issues that i have solved and the new issues to be solved in the coming week
* I have become strong in my coding skills as I solely maintain the website and also develop the modules.
* the management is very friendly and help me work with a flexible schedule so as to accommodate my classes
* My coworkers are welcoming people and always help me if i didn't understand a issue that they reported in the website
* The hardest part of the job is to identify the source of a bug as I am the only one with technical knowledge and as the website has approximately 20000 LOC, it is tough to identify and solve small issue as each module is related.
* The most enjoyable part is the moment when I solve an issue and I can see people using the website in the real time for the code I have written.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 24, 2012
Great place to work and retire. But chances for advancement are long in coming if at all. Very flexible with hours if you have kids in school activities. Some supervisors are just here for a paycheck so they don't look out for their employees. Knowone recommends anyone for pay raises at the Physical Plant. Most generally if you want to advance here, its not what you know or how qualified you are, but who you know.
Pros
great benefits, great retirement plans, lots of paid days off and holidays, lots of vacation time earned and sick leave builds up quickly staff appreciation lunches
Cons
carers more about what new building they are gonna build and the beautification of the grounds, than giving their employees regular pay raises and or bonuses.
Good educational experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OklahomaJuly 20, 2014
Working at the designing and manufacturing lab of Oklahoma State University was a good introduction to manufacturing machine work.

I had a good boss who was very patient in teaching me how to use lathes and mills until I was comfortable enough to show and explain how to use them to the students who came in to use our equipment. It was a great way to get paid while gaining experience with simple mechanical design and workmanship.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work the diverse people in the engineering department work through their problems with their designs of the products they wanted to make with our equipement.

The hardest part of the job were the dry parts of the year when nobody came in and there was nothing to do.
Pros
good management and great way to gain experience
Cons
can sometimes be a very slow job
loved everything about this job, Drs, co-workers, patients
RN (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 1, 2013
8-5 job, love it. Typical day was to get assignment,set up and stock for your assigned area.
Patients came in randomly, some had appointments. I took VS and history then to patient to Dr or providers exam room. I learned alot here, the Drs loved to teach. Co-workers were great, always helpful if someone got backed up, just a great crew. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients. I enjoyed talking to then and hearing how they were doing in school and there other problems. I tried haed to encourage then and come in for any problems or just when things got to be to much.
Pros
8-5, time to spend with my patients
Cons
management was weard
typical work environment,with overly strict managment,and no benefits for student workers
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 23, 2015
Fun, depending on managements mood, learned behavioral management, managers are not very knowledgeable, management does not take responsibility for mishaps, management expects students to know things that are not communicated, management puts most of responsibility on workers that are not prepared or trained. most co-workers are receptive, rude customers hard to deal with, enjoyable when everyone is happy and not stressed, hardest part of the job is when management restricts workers from interacting with each other. most enjoyable part of the job was when everyone is happy to see me and ask where I've been. also apart of the most enjoyable part of the job is when customers recongnize me from work on campus and come in to see me specifically when I'm at work
Pros
works around school schedule for hours
Cons
no benefits for student workers, very stern management when not needed
Nice place to work.
Staff Technologist-Computed Tomography Department (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 16, 2014
OSUMC has really inproved and updated the facility since I began working there. New equipment and updates...it is really coming along. The majority of the people who work at this facility are wonderful, caring and friendly among each other. I never really felt a closeness within my own department but I did enjoy working with other departments. I worked pretty much alone on my shift and had asked for assistance several times but was told everyone was busy and I'd pretty much just have to make do. All in all I really liked working at this facility.
Pros
employees are very nice to work with.
Cons
lack of available help when needed.
Work Study is an amazing substitution
DATA ENTRY - OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKDecember 14, 2015
Work study is a real job but it is an amazing sub for working part time off campus. I worked with wonderful people, made friends, and they worked around my school schedule complete flexibility. My supervisor understood if i needed to take a day off for extra studying for finals but it was almost unnecessary as you can only work a max of 15 hours a week. I'm constantly looking out for more work study opportunities. I had to leave because the job i was doing, was done and they did not need a student worker anymore. I would go back in a heartbeat!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
None!
A good place to study at and work at the same time to cope up with your daily expenses
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 16, 2013
I worked for two different professors over two semesters. I helped them to prepare for the class, grade papers and assignments, mentored few students, conducted labs for teaching audiometry and supervise UG students, held video classes, solved students theoretical and practical doubts, etc. the most enjoyable part of the work was the time flexibility. My supervisors assigned the work and I had to report back to them as soon as I finished my work. No time limits were imposed on me which enabled me to study efficiently.
Pros
time flexibility, good pay, provided offices to work in.
Cons
some clerical work
Dedicated to children
Medical Assistant/Referral Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 29, 2015
Colorful and relaxed work environment dedicated to serving children and their families. Learned many new skills such as tele-medicine practices and insurance practices. Pleasant management who are not afraid to get their hands into the action from changing a diaper to wiping noses and even cleaning the floors! Wonderful coworkers who are extremely professional. Hardest part was losing children to accidents or illness. Enjoyed the whole job overall, your child will be loved here!
Pros
Knowing you have made a difference, coworkers who work as a team
Cons
Seeing how many children live in poverty
Majority of the activities are performed with great persistence
Soil and GIS Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 26, 2014
Every day of the week was a time I have learned specific part of the instrument used for diverse experimentation. It was the period i figured out the significance of working in GIS and RS laboratories to diverse application areas like natural resource management. All my co-workers were cooperative, except the fact that the analysis requires ample time due to its nature. The incredible part of the job is that it thought me good lesson that I should work even more on the web programing part of GIS
Solid part-time job while going to school
Tele-Counselor (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 14, 2014
I worked in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The typical shift consisted of calling many high school students and getting them to commit to campus recruiting events. This job helped me gain confidence on the phone and taught me a lot about how much a persistent positive attitude can really make a difference. Shifts were in the evening after school. Staff consisted of 10-12 Tele-Counselors and one manager who was awesome. The best part of the job is the flexible work hours because you pick when you work.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
repetitive work
My OSU Experience
Lab Assistance (Former Employee) –  Stillwater OklahomaDecember 10, 2012
I loved my job, mostly because I was in a learning environment and was taught various lab procedures. The people that I worked with made the job what it was, I was very blessed to have an amazing boss. Every day we might be assigned a new task to carry out, and it was no problem. We achieved goals as a team by either working together on a project or individually. I feel like the working in the lab was a success because we were able to be productive and efficient.
Pros
worked around my class schedule.
Cons
wish the job had had full-time openings and opportunites.

4.4