Oklahoma State University Employee Reviews

Overall were very good expeiences
Doctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 6, 2016
For my work with the Egyptian Ministry of Health,
I worked as a physician at a rural unit. A typical day was seeing out patients, prescribe medications, authorize vaccinations and other preventive measurements.
Seeing patients taught me about the disease, treatments and most importantly about the living conditions of people of the village.
I oversaw about 8 coworkers who taught me a lot about the village and people. They show high level of cooperation in choosing tasks according to each one resources.
The hardest part was when you don't have the medicine to give.
The most enjoyable part is to see a smile of satisfaction from the patients.
Pros
bounces for the extra night shifts
Cons
Salary and work load were not proportional
good balance, friendly staff
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 7, 2016
Oklahoma State is a wonderful place to seek employment. The culture at OSU is a family. There are plenty of opportunities for professional development and advancement.
Pros
good job work/life work balance, professional development
Cons
great benefits, low salary comparatively
Great Place to work
FINANCIAL ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 28, 2016
Enjoyed my time working for the Mailing Service Department at Oklahoma State University, had opportunity to move up. Made some life long friends while working there was a good working atmosphere. Management was good was there when you needed them. Some of the more enjoyable things of my job was it was a relaxed atmosphere not a lot of pressure.
Pros
Benefits & Atmosphere
Cons
Partically by some management
Poor management
Assistant Athletic Field Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 27, 2016
Supervisor had zero management experience as well as no time management so working there was not fun. Was always working holidays and days off because of him.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no advancement
Family like and friendly atmosphere with amazing benefits.
Food Prep Aid/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 2, 2016
I absolutely loved working at OSU, it was always so lively and my co-workers were wonderful. OSU had amazing benefits and they truly cared about their employees. I love cooking and prepping, and I worked on a food truck where I cooked tex mex type food.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, friendly crew
diversity
Business Affairs Representative OSU Tulsa and CHS (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74106December 14, 2016
working with mail, shipping and receiving, inventory and customer service, assistant to supervisor. Working with vendors and students as well as staff and faculty. Excellent in all facets of former position.
benefits
Cons
no comp time for former dept
Great Employer
Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 20, 2016
The LASSO department at OSU has a great future. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the University Students. The hardest part of the job is waiting for the University to decide to promote the LASSO department campus-wide.The coworkers are great at their jobs and dedicated to helping students. I learned a lot about coaching, and have been inspired to pursue my coaching certification.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
compensation is low
false promises made
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 9, 2016
Was promised a raise after a year, instead they moved me to a complete different job site and added more work but no job raise. I then turned in my two weeks notice. On the plus side I really loved the people I worked with besides the management. Management had their favorites and there was no changing that.
Pros
did get a free lunch if you worked in dining services
Cons
management
Bad idea
Referee (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 5, 2016
Being a ref was easily my least favorite job. The players were very disrespectful, and the supervisors and managers were also, at times, extremely unprofessional. They only give people in their friend group raises or promotions.
Pros
Scheduled around my classes
Cons
Disrespectful coworkers and players
Scholarships and Financial Aid - Not the best department on campus
Data Examination Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKMarch 13, 2017
The work environment was hostile in Scholarships and Financial Aid. The management was VERY difficult to work with. The turnover rate was extremely high in my area of data examination.
I have worked in other departments on campus at Oklahoma State University and loved the environment and work. Scholarships and Financial Aid just was not one of those departments that fits many people under the management that was there when I was there.
Pros
I got out of there
Cons
Everything about Scholarships and Financial Aid
Office is structured and runs efficiently,
Administrative Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  CEAT/Engineering CollegeMarch 3, 2017
Each morning I prepare the office for business, and for the work day. First on the list is emails, checking the prospects list, and schedule conference rooms. Always double checking all flowcharts. Maintain paper and electronic filing systems for records and messages. Operate fax machines, phone systems, and other office equipment. Work with spreadsheet, word processing, and database. Maintain the purchasing card with updating transactions, sign off on transactions, and preparing report for sign off. Our office is a positive workplace. I enjoy working with all the staff, and will continue to help all with my administrative assistant abilities.
Pros
Monthly Birthday potluck lunches
Cons
not enough time in a day
Beautiful campus and good people
PhD Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJanuary 20, 2017
There are many opportunities to improve your skills like leading, public speaking, independent research, professional writing, etc. The facilities for fitness are awesome. It has a very big center where you can build your muscle, exercise, play ball games, swimming, climbing, meeting new friends. The student union has invited speech, movies, food for student, but the food is a bit expensive. Commute services are good except for storm or cold day when no service is provided. Game season is a bit noisy especially at midnight if living near a play field. The home city Stillwater is small and quiet town where people are quite nice when you meet them. Great place for peaceful life.
Pros
Free food in university final exam weeks
Cons
Traffic jam during game day
Great on-campus job, frequent departmental changes made it difficult to maintain constantly changing expectations.
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 22, 2016
My time at Oklahoma State University's Department of Residential Life as a Resident Advisor were some of the best years I had. It was fantastic for being involved on campus and within the community. With housing and a meal plan provided, it takes a huge financial burden off students. Coworkers on average were exceptional people. Management was a little rocky, as we changed supervisors quite often. I went through a different supervisor every year during my time there, and sometimes from semester to semester. The department is currently overhauling the program and began implementing new changes that clashed with previous policies, and was a challenge to accommodate.
Pros
on-campus housing paid, meal plan, great team
Cons
constantly changing policies, long hours, weekends on call
Good School
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJanuary 4, 2017
• Developed a probabilistic slope stability analysis which can assess the safe and economic design of different types of soil slopes.
• Evaluated effects of clay type and degree of softness on embankments and cut slopes that can lead to failures.
• Conducted different laboratory soil tests to determine physical and mechanical properties of soil.
• Developed equation from research results to obtain a rapid calculation of fully softened shear strength values from peak strength values and index properties.
• Tested soils and materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundation, concrete and asphalt.
typical work environment,with overly strict managment,and no benefits for student workers
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 23, 2015
Fun, depending on managements mood, learned behavioral management, managers are not very knowledgeable, management does not take responsibility for mishaps, management expects students to know things that are not communicated, management puts most of responsibility on workers that are not prepared or trained. most co-workers are receptive, rude customers hard to deal with, enjoyable when everyone is happy and not stressed, hardest part of the job is when management restricts workers from interacting with each other. most enjoyable part of the job was when everyone is happy to see me and ask where I've been. also apart of the most enjoyable part of the job is when customers recongnize me from work on campus and come in to see me specifically when I'm at work
Pros
works around school schedule for hours
Cons
no benefits for student workers, very stern management when not needed
Great learning experience
Public Safety Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 22, 2016
Enjoyed working with students and seeing them grow in their careers in public safety. Enjoyed working with Professionals in the business and getting a hands on approach to higher education.
Position of influence over bright young minds
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 24, 2016
A typical day at work involves meeting with the Professor under whom I work. The meeting involves the discussion of the day's itinerary along with topic of discussion at the lecture. Then assignment for the week needs to be created using MS Project. Previous week's assignments also need to be graded. The hardest part of the job is grading as it involves some harsh grading for the student's improvement. The best part is the fact that I get to interact with students everyday and help them out with their coursework, which kind of feels like a great responsibility.
Pros
Honor of being a teaching assistant
Horrible management
Assistant Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 29, 2016
The management that was there when I started made me grow to who I am today. New management came in and completely changed this. Made this such a negative place to work. I have never seen work morale so bad. Completely sad..
An affordable and great school with all the required facilities
Research Assistant, Agricultural Economics (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJanuary 23, 2017
Great environment for learning with an excellent library, helpful graduate school and department (staff and faculty). The facilities helped greatly in conducting extensive literature reviews that finally helped in formulating research ideas that lead to research publications.
It was a great place to work and we have great Manager
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 10, 2016
• Prioritize and manage ongoing support for meetings, events, quarterly professional development trainings.
• Scheduling the meetings for the clients and also gathering their information.
• Proficient in Pivots, VLOOKUP’s and all the functions in Microsoft EXCEL.
• Provided professional environment and organized support for school administration and managed group of students in all daily administrative duties, meetings, trainings, and external/internal communications.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oklahoma State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4