Oklahoma State University

Oklahoma State University Employee Reviews in United States

typical work environment,with overly strict managment,and no benefits for student workers
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 23, 2015
Fun, depending on managements mood, learned behavioral management, managers are not very knowledgeable, management does not take responsibility for mishaps, management expects students to know things that are not communicated, management puts most of responsibility on workers that are not prepared or trained. most co-workers are receptive, rude customers hard to deal with, enjoyable when everyone is happy and not stressed, hardest part of the job is when management restricts workers from interacting with each other. most enjoyable part of the job was when everyone is happy to see me and ask where I've been. also apart of the most enjoyable part of the job is when customers recongnize me from work on campus and come in to see me specifically when I'm at work
Pros
works around school schedule for hours
Cons
no benefits for student workers, very stern management when not needed
Focused on helping students to their best
Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKMarch 7, 2016
Family-like atmosphere, opportunity to grow and learn, friendly staff who are always willing to help, benefits for full-time employees
Loved working for OSU
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJanuary 10, 2016
I had wonderful managers and loved working for OSU. I received time off when my kids were out of School on Break. Pay was Ok but the benifits made up for it.
Pros
Hours, benifits, time off
Cons
No cons Loved working for OSU
good place, decent pay, flexible schedule
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 31, 2015
Overall, it is a good university to be working for. Decent pay (for student standards). Flexible schedule and interesting projects.
Pros
interesting job, experience
Cons
no benefits for student GRAs
Great on-campus job, frequent departmental changes made it difficult to maintain constantly changing expectations.
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 22, 2016
My time at Oklahoma State University's Department of Residential Life as a Resident Advisor were some of the best years I had. It was fantastic for being involved on campus and within the community. With housing and a meal plan provided, it takes a huge financial burden off students. Coworkers on average were exceptional people. Management was a little rocky, as we changed supervisors quite often. I went through a different supervisor every year during my time there, and sometimes from semester to semester. The department is currently overhauling the program and began implementing new changes that clashed with previous policies, and was a challenge to accommodate.
Pros
on-campus housing paid, meal plan, great team
Cons
constantly changing policies, long hours, weekends on call
Amazing Campus and Work experience
SCHOLARSHIP COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKMarch 15, 2016
OSU- Institute of Technology is the Applied Technology campus of Oklahoma State University System. Focus is on tangible skills in addition to theory in career oriented college degrees.
Pros
Positive culture, good working environment
Cons
High health care costs to employees, lower pay than private sector jobs
Great place for graduate school
Sociology Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 19, 2016
Overall it was a great experience. Being in a small distant town freed me of distractions so that I could engage in meaningful research work. However, this also was frustrating at times, as there is not much to do with your free time other than going to a local bar. As far as school goes, I always had access to necessary resources, had a supportive and knowledgeable faculty, and had many opportunities to take advantage of in terms of adding to my CV.
Pros
Tuition waiver, stipend, supportive faculty
Cons
graduate school (time consuming and difficult)
It will be interesting to work in this multicultureal organization and internationally recognized with lots of funs
Criminal Justice Instructor and a Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMay 18, 2016
It is a privilege to work is this organization and contribute my quota towards the achievement of the goals of this organization
Pros
The incentives such as free lunch, friendship networks etc serve as an attraction
Cons
However, the cold whether, long hours of working are the short comings for working in this institution
productive enviroment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 26, 2016
Goals were made everyday. Most goals were achievable. Management was very helpful. The hardest part of the job is if funding is not there the job will not be there. When funding is short funding will not be there for both employees and projects alike. Most coworkers were with me were from many other countries. The most enjoyable part of the job was the meeting of the goals that were set and weekly meetings were made with all the assistants.
Relaxed, quiet environement.
Nutrition Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMarch 8, 2016
I was not micro-managed, which was great. Made my own, hour to hour schedule (still full-time). Made good friendships.
Pros
30 minute lunch break, make your own hour by hour schedule
Cons
Not a lot of work at first, building own clientelle

Want to know more about Oklahoma State University?

Ask a question
positive
Senior ETL Engineer (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKFebruary 15, 2016
The management is very supportive and understanding. Suggest the right skill set to consultants and help them finding projects quickly. Have many big clients from whom they get lots of job requirements. Very transparent when it comes to company policy and in terms of setting the right expectations for every employee.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
My job is a part time job with 20 hours work for a week.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 6, 2016
I found this job very helpful to learn and future advance my career.
My typical wrok include giving lectures and grading assignments.
relaxed workplace with friendly staff and supervisors
meeting and conference service staff member (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKMay 24, 2016
They made it easy to know what to do and when to do it.
I learned communication skills between peers and coworkers.
Management was supportive and understanding of scheduling.
My co-workers were friendly and helpful.
setting up for groups of 100+ people
working with friendly people.
Lab experience
Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 27, 2016
I di not get paid to work in a microbiology lab, it was part of a scholarship I received from Oklahoma State University. I liked getting to assist in the lab because it gave me experience with lab techniques that I can use later in life. I recommend for any science major to work in a lab at some point during their college career.
Work Study is an amazing substitution
DATA ENTRY - OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKDecember 14, 2015
Work study is a real job but it is an amazing sub for working part time off campus. I worked with wonderful people, made friends, and they worked around my school schedule complete flexibility. My supervisor understood if i needed to take a day off for extra studying for finals but it was almost unnecessary as you can only work a max of 15 hours a week. I'm constantly looking out for more work study opportunities. I had to leave because the job i was doing, was done and they did not need a student worker anymore. I would go back in a heartbeat!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
None!
Great place to utilize what I learned in the Fire Protection & Safety curriculum at OSU
Chemical Storeroom Operator (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 11, 2015
One skill that I have acquired while working for the OSU chemistry department is the ability to confront and utilize diversity. While working with professors and researchers with origins from all around the world, I have seen firsthand that there is always different ways to converge to a solution to a problem. Working with diversity in my future company's work climate will help me compile ideas from different backgrounds so that best possible solution can be implemented.
Great Benefits, a little too academic for my taste
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Stilllwater OkMay 14, 2015
The benefits are really good, overall is a bit too academic, (It is a college) If you are working here without a degree there is a lot of pressure to get one. Not a lot of opportunities without it. Sometimes feel a little looked down on... Maybe it's just me. Overall I really like it. The pay isn't terrible. The benefits are really good.
Diverse work place