Oklahoma State University Employee Reviews

good balance, friendly staff
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 7, 2016
Oklahoma State is a wonderful place to seek employment. The culture at OSU is a family. There are plenty of opportunities for professional development and advancement.
Pros
good job work/life work balance, professional development
Cons
great benefits, low salary comparatively
false promises made
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 9, 2016
Was promised a raise after a year, instead they moved me to a complete different job site and added more work but no job raise. I then turned in my two weeks notice. On the plus side I really loved the people I worked with besides the management. Management had their favorites and there was no changing that.
Pros
did get a free lunch if you worked in dining services
Cons
management
Great on-campus job, frequent departmental changes made it difficult to maintain constantly changing expectations.
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 22, 2016
My time at Oklahoma State University's Department of Residential Life as a Resident Advisor were some of the best years I had. It was fantastic for being involved on campus and within the community. With housing and a meal plan provided, it takes a huge financial burden off students. Coworkers on average were exceptional people. Management was a little rocky, as we changed supervisors quite often. I went through a different supervisor every year during my time there, and sometimes from semester to semester. The department is currently overhauling the program and began implementing new changes that clashed with previous policies, and was a challenge to accommodate.
Pros
on-campus housing paid, meal plan, great team
Cons
constantly changing policies, long hours, weekends on call
Great Place to work
FINANCIAL ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 28, 2016
Enjoyed my time working for the Mailing Service Department at Oklahoma State University, had opportunity to move up. Made some life long friends while working there was a good working atmosphere. Management was good was there when you needed them. Some of the more enjoyable things of my job was it was a relaxed atmosphere not a lot of pressure.
Pros
Benefits & Atmosphere
Cons
Partically by some management
Overall were very good expeiences
Doctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 6, 2016
For my work with the Egyptian Ministry of Health,
I worked as a physician at a rural unit. A typical day was seeing out patients, prescribe medications, authorize vaccinations and other preventive measurements.
Seeing patients taught me about the disease, treatments and most importantly about the living conditions of people of the village.
I oversaw about 8 coworkers who taught me a lot about the village and people. They show high level of cooperation in choosing tasks according to each one resources.
The hardest part was when you don't have the medicine to give.
The most enjoyable part is to see a smile of satisfaction from the patients.
Pros
bounces for the extra night shifts
Cons
Salary and work load were not proportional
Bad idea
Referee (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 5, 2016
Being a ref was easily my least favorite job. The players were very disrespectful, and the supervisors and managers were also, at times, extremely unprofessional. They only give people in their friend group raises or promotions.
Pros
Scheduled around my classes
Cons
Disrespectful coworkers and players
Great Employer
Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 20, 2016
The LASSO department at OSU has a great future. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the University Students. The hardest part of the job is waiting for the University to decide to promote the LASSO department campus-wide.The coworkers are great at their jobs and dedicated to helping students. I learned a lot about coaching, and have been inspired to pursue my coaching certification.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
compensation is low
Family like and friendly atmosphere with amazing benefits.
Food Prep Aid/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 2, 2016
I absolutely loved working at OSU, it was always so lively and my co-workers were wonderful. OSU had amazing benefits and they truly cared about their employees. I love cooking and prepping, and I worked on a food truck where I cooked tex mex type food.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, friendly crew
It is very fun and pleasant to work in OSU
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 22, 2016
-- I work 3-4 days per week. 20 hours a week.
-- My day will be very effective.
-- I have learned how to manage my time for classes, part time job.
-- The management is very friendly.
typical work environment,with overly strict managment,and no benefits for student workers
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKDecember 23, 2015
Fun, depending on managements mood, learned behavioral management, managers are not very knowledgeable, management does not take responsibility for mishaps, management expects students to know things that are not communicated, management puts most of responsibility on workers that are not prepared or trained. most co-workers are receptive, rude customers hard to deal with, enjoyable when everyone is happy and not stressed, hardest part of the job is when management restricts workers from interacting with each other. most enjoyable part of the job was when everyone is happy to see me and ask where I've been. also apart of the most enjoyable part of the job is when customers recongnize me from work on campus and come in to see me specifically when I'm at work
Pros
works around school schedule for hours
Cons
no benefits for student workers, very stern management when not needed
Position of influence over bright young minds
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 24, 2016
A typical day at work involves meeting with the Professor under whom I work. The meeting involves the discussion of the day's itinerary along with topic of discussion at the lecture. Then assignment for the week needs to be created using MS Project. Previous week's assignments also need to be graded. The hardest part of the job is grading as it involves some harsh grading for the student's improvement. The best part is the fact that I get to interact with students everyday and help them out with their coursework, which kind of feels like a great responsibility.
Pros
Honor of being a teaching assistant
It will be interesting to work in this multicultureal organization and internationally recognized with lots of funs
Criminal Justice Instructor and a Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMay 18, 2016
It is a privilege to work is this organization and contribute my quota towards the achievement of the goals of this organization
Pros
The incentives such as free lunch, friendship networks etc serve as an attraction
Cons
However, the cold whether, long hours of working are the short comings for working in this institution
You must multi-task x 3
Sr. Admin. Support Assist (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 9, 2016
It is important to learn a little bit about each of the roles within the CSD Department, Speech Therapy and Audiology Clinic because your day will be filled with responsibilities with all of these areas. I was allowed to cross-train while I was in the Admin. Support position and see that it really worked best when everyone was able to assist each other to benefit the Department as a whole. The hardest part of the job was trying to do a little bit more than just your own job when the office was short-handed. The most enjoyable part of the job was being allowed to resolve issues as a team and allowed to provide feedback for overall improvement.
Cons
Several factors led to not being compensated as promised.
Amazing Campus and Work experience
SCHOLARSHIP COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKMarch 15, 2016
OSU- Institute of Technology is the Applied Technology campus of Oklahoma State University System. Focus is on tangible skills in addition to theory in career oriented college degrees.
Pros
Positive culture, good working environment
Cons
High health care costs to employees, lower pay than private sector jobs
productive enviroment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 26, 2016
Goals were made everyday. Most goals were achievable. Management was very helpful. The hardest part of the job is if funding is not there the job will not be there. When funding is short funding will not be there for both employees and projects alike. Most coworkers were with me were from many other countries. The most enjoyable part of the job was the meeting of the goals that were set and weekly meetings were made with all the assistants.
It was a great place to work and we have great Manager
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 10, 2016
• Prioritize and manage ongoing support for meetings, events, quarterly professional development trainings.
• Scheduling the meetings for the clients and also gathering their information.
• Proficient in Pivots, VLOOKUP’s and all the functions in Microsoft EXCEL.
• Provided professional environment and organized support for school administration and managed group of students in all daily administrative duties, meetings, trainings, and external/internal communications.
Not so bad
Microbiologist (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OklahomaJuly 30, 2016
This university has the good technical capacity. However, the management was not good. I learned how to work with anaerobic bacteria. I liked many co-workers but not all. My most enjoyable part of the job was scanning electron microscopy
Teaching is awesome.
Mineralogy Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 7, 2016
The students were amazing to work with. The professor you work under is good. However, the most challenging part was dealing with office politics.Teaching was just a small part of what I did.
As a Student Researcher, not much to say.
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKOctober 13, 2016
Not a typical job. Was paid to basically do school work, researching oil and natural gas data, employment data, job sector data, and income data among other data sources. I compiled data in sheets and produced different graphs and plots. I also calculated correlations between data sets and trend lines. I worked by myself and my work was compiled in a larger report about hydraulic fracturing.
Pros
Data processing experience
Cons
relaxed workplace with friendly staff and supervisors
meeting and conference service staff member (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKMay 24, 2016
They made it easy to know what to do and when to do it.
I learned communication skills between peers and coworkers.
Management was supportive and understanding of scheduling.
My co-workers were friendly and helpful.
setting up for groups of 100+ people
working with friendly people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oklahoma State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3