Old Chicago Employee Reviews

Excellent company , terrible management
Server (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 20, 2017
The company offers incredible benefits and plenty of options to advance that you have control over depending how much work you put into your testing and studying. The down part is that somehow a completely terrible management system has gotten into power and belittles the employees often. Not only that , I worked here , often for over 8 hour shifts and NEVER received a break. Not even an obligatory 15 minutes downtime - in fact if you were caught even looking at standing still not doing something, above said manager would make sure you were shouted at and abused in front of as many other employees as possible.

Personal details about other employee's lives is constantly discussed out in the open by this manager and this discouraged me enough to abandon the company as quickly as possible.
Pros
Discounts on beer and an incredibly good product to sell
Cons
awful management, no breaks
Pizza, Beer and People!
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 11, 2017
While working for Old Chicago I had 14-18 hour work days, we were always busy training staff, cleaning, prepping food, deliveries, delegating duties and watching our numbers to make sure we hit projections! I learned a lot about beer, pizza and how to watch portion control. The co-workers were fun loving spirits who had a passion for beer and pizza. Hardest part of the job was making sure the bartenders did not over serve the guests. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with staff, guests and other management.
Pros
Good Benefits, free food and events
Cons
No breaks, loud drunks during sporting events
Good at first then horrible.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 12, 2017
When I started it was great got to work all the time and night shift (where the money is), I ended up getting pregnant while working there and no later than a week after I had told my managers I was switched to all morning shifts then a week later went from working 5-6 days a week to working 2-3 only making $12-20 each shift. So the most I'd make would be $60 a week. Being pregnant I had to snack here and there so I wouldn't get sick and I wasnt allowed a manager actually threw my food that i paid for away and yelled at me.
Pros
Worked with great people
Cons
No breaks, no benefits
Craft Beer and made from scratch pizza
Bartender and Server (Current Employee) –  245 s Union blvd, Lakewood, 80215December 9, 2016
A Colorado based company over four decades in the making. I had my journey start with them in college as a pizza line cook. Then as my time grew with the company and I moved from a Ft. Collins to a Denver location my Bartending and love for great beer helped me delight my guests for many years.
Pros
Great Benefits and flexible hours
Cons
High management turnover
Fun environment while dealing with fast pace
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 27, 2017
Great place to work if you can devote the time into knowing about the many types of craft beer you're going to have to deal with on a daily basis. Beers rotate daily so you need to be up to par on your beer knowledge. They do offer benefits to full time employees. I've worked there for years and love the environment. It's fast paced, but very fun.
Pros
Getting to know all the regulars
Cons
Short breaks, time devotion
A non-rewarding job with little to no recognition for hard work
Hostess/Server (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IASeptember 27, 2016
I have worked her for over a year and a half with no review or raise. Management treats everyone around them as if they do not matter. The air conditioning was broken for almost a month before it was fixed with 80+ degree working conditions. Overall just not a good place to work.
Don't Recommend for Students!
Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COFebruary 24, 2017
Very large restaurant to work in, fast paced and difficult at times. Overall great team environment, worked with several different groups of people and overall culture was normally friendly. However, very disorganized at times, made it difficult to perform job to best of ability. Overall due to long and often late hours, would not recommend this job for a full time student.
Pros
Great team members, flexible scheduling, approachable management team
Cons
Late/long hours, limited or no breaks, hectic pace, disorganized
Old Chicago
Server (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 1, 2017
A typical day at work would include coming in around 10:30 AM and opening the restaurant. I do all the morning duties for opening requirements and then i take on the lunch rush with 2-3 other servers.
When lunch is over I close down lunch around 3. Check out the other servers and then do my side work as well. Some days I work doubles and end up coming back. On other days i don't come in until 5:30 PM and don't get off around 2 AM closing the dining room.

Old Chicago's Management in my opinion is great! I've learned so much about beer and other adult beverages because of the work culture we have established.

The hardest part of my job would probably be when huge tops show up late at night along other tables with only one server on. Other than that the job is pretty fun and easy!

The most enjoyable part of the job would be getting to work with great people and making decent money.
Pros
Great environment, discounts, and great managers.
Cons
Not as busy as it used to be
An average Job
Server (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 25, 2017
A typical day at old chicago consisted of serving customers until business slowed down. After this you work on your side workk such as rolling silverware, sweeping and mopping, etc. I learned a lot about serving customers as it was my first serving job. Management varied but generally I would say it was poor. Workplace culture was good and very friendly. Hardest part of the job is dealing with very busy rushes which were often on understaffed shifts. Most enjoyable part of the job is when you walk out the building after a very busy rush. It was very nice to count all the money you made that day feeling very accomplished.
Pros
Good money
Cons
management
average work experience
Chef boulanger (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 21, 2016
a average place to work for an average experience, it was only high volume at night and there wasn't a lot to learn because I had already learned most of what they were attempting to teach me before I got the job. I liked working there for the most part because everyone there was like your best friends and family if you needed help of just wanted to hang out after work and have a drink this was pretty nice place to feel at home, management was good but could use improvements, probably the toughest part of the job was trying to get enough hours to service because if your to good at your job and finish management couldn't find a lot of work to keep you there so you had to force yourself to work slow to make ends meet the best part of the job though was feeling like your at home because of your co-workers.
Old Chicago- Hostess and Waitress
Hostess-Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 13, 2017
While employed at Old Chicago my typical work day depended on whether I was hostessing or waitressing, A typical day hostessing I would set up the waitress seating board and begin to greet and seat customers. A day waitressing I would check my tables, set them up, and then start taking tables as soon as possible. The management was good for the most part as were my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was when it would get busy on a weekend night during football season, but I always managed to stay on track and do my best work.
I love working in a high energy environment love to put a simle on peoples face always up to learn new things
Cocktail Waitress (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 3, 2017
Old chicago is a great place to work very friendly enviroment. The management was amazing. If you need help with anything they were more then will to help you with whatever you needed. The regulars where also amazing always put a smile on my face everttime they came in. my jod was to give them the best experience possibale which i strived everyday to accomplish.
Pros
got %40 off food
Productive Compay that lets you be your self. A fun
Bartender and Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJuly 14, 2016
While I worked with Old Chicago the days moved fairly quick. This due to the hard working personnel who had fun and worked hard to make money. From this company, I have taken in the knowledge of work hard, play hard and don't let anyone get you down. Keep your head up. The management Staff was excellent and they took great care of their employees. The hardest part of this job is waiting for those long nights to end. The most enjoyable moment is when the manager would throw a party for everyone, everything included.
Pros
Cash every night
Cons
Late hours
Run down, poor management, no communication, understaffed
Server (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 10, 2016
Started off hosting there only for the promise to start serving shortly after. Needed a better way to make money. Ended up becoming a server shortly after, but was told I couldn't find another job. Started scheduling little to no shifts. Then started only scheduling host shifts even after I was moved up due to them being understaffed for host. Yet they continue to hire more servers. Some of the management is hard to approach, especially with any issues you may have. The co-workers there are nice, and supportive though.
Appropriate freedom to work efficiently and comfortably
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 9, 2017
Good team environment and ability to communicate. Slightly challenging amongst communication between front and back of house.
Pros
Free buffet pizza and commordary amongst staff
Cons
Change of management made it difficult to oerform task
Fun and energetic place to work
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INDecember 30, 2016
Everyone is very helpful. Management is always around to train and give people a helping hand. The customers are extremely nice and it is very easy to build relationships with our regular customers in order for them to return. This is a great environment to work and make great money.
pathetic employees and lazy managers
pizza line (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJanuary 24, 2017
Biggest joke of a restaurant ever they had to hire 5 managers working almost everyday and they take turns starring at the food line waiting to eat....
Pros
free food
Cons
no advanced career opportunities
Fun place if you can deal with weird random hours
Pizza Line Cook/Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67205January 20, 2017
Good place to work with good people but weird hours and get ready to have inconsistent schedules if you aren't one of the reliable trainers. This is just to get over the 150 char min
Old Chicago
Server, Bartender, Key Hourly (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY 40299February 19, 2017
When I was working at Old Chicago my issues lied with management. Since I left I know some changes have been made. We did get plenty of hours and never had to worry about our jobs being taken.
Fun place to work, not-so-great management
Server (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 1, 2016
Old Chicago is a fun place to work if you enjoy really good beer and good food, but if you are quick to butt heads with management, this is not the place for you.

This is a high-volume restaurant that should have 5 or 6 managers, but which only has 4 managers. This leads to a lot of stress between management and employees, especially if you think you are above following any rules you don't understand.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

77%