Old Dominion Security

Old Dominion Security Employer Reviews

good company to work for
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Stafford, VAJune 21, 2014
Cons: would not recognize your work or loyalty
good company to work for with the exception of even if you were a loyal employee had a good record still you would not be hired back if you left the company on good terms. I left on FMLA and my job was terminated when I was ready to come back after I was told I could no rehire. Company changed policy if you worked there before you could not be re hired – more... this stinks think twice about working for this company. – less
Not good
Security Officer (Current Employee), Falls Church, VAJune 17, 2014
Cons: pay work environment
Low pay for the for work . Low moral and hi turnover. There will never be a raise I was told point blank. If you complain they tell you there's the door.
some days are productive others are not
Security Officer (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 21, 2014
Pros: always overtime
Cons: the benifits are not good at all
A typical day at work involves dealing with Patients that are out of control, Marking patrols throughout the hospital observing and reporting anything you see out of the ordinary. My coworkers I work with on day shift are great! the hardest part of my job would not be restraining patients but when we have slow days and nothing is going on I am young – more... I need to move around. the most enjoyable part of my job is when we have a busy day and i am constantly moving around dealing with my team and patients or visitors at the hospital. – less
Professional workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee), Newport News, VAApril 10, 2014
I would love to be employed with this company. The management is excellent, and the people are very professional
Not a good company to work for.
Safety n Security (Former Employee), Inova Fairfax Hospital Falls Church VaApril 4, 2014
Pros: was much better when we worked for inova.
Cons: poorly managed company. too litle pay for the work required.
As a former employee of Inova Fairfax Hospital i felt disrespected when they decided to go to ODS. I was fortunate enough to keep my pay but my coworkers made less than enough money for the job we did. At Inova Fairfax you are considered the police. We constantly fought drug addicts, mental health patients, homeless people and on and on. I was fortunate – more... to only get hurt in one fight in my 7 years working there. My immediate supervisor showed that he cared but anyone higher up showed no interest. I have had coworkers who tore the acl, get spat on bite and so much more. Not to mention the dr reds, code pinks and all the other drills that are done on a regular basis. Dont get me wrong, but Fairfax was the only one conducting these drils. Alexandria,Loudoun, Fair Oaks were not doing this. This is what i mean when i say poor management. All of the hospitals should be on the same page. I could go on and on buti will end here. This could be a great job if the higher ups really cared about oficers and their safety instead of just worrying about having a body on the shift. – less
Simply Put, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!
Former employee (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: absolutly none
Cons: poor over all, period!
As a tenured very professional former ( resigned ) employee in the field of contracted security, I must say this has to be THE WORST managed company in the security industry. POOR Management, POOR moral, POOR HR, POOR overall work ethics ever. I worked at the Fairfax Hospital location for over a year and was a year there way to long. This company does – more... not care for or look out for any of there employees. PERIOD!
The offer the LOWEST wages for what the work load of a Major Detention Hospital should offer.
No compensation for injury's received by the dedicated officers who put themselves in harms way on a day to day basis. When departing the company after giving your all, they treat you as though you were never there. My coworkers were a great group of officers, who looked after each other however, management could care less and barely even sought to provided uniforms for they're officers. Getting uniforms or gear was like pulling teeth, they simply are not interested in their employees and are extremely cheap. Upon leaving the company they play games with your paycheck which is against the laws of employment in VA.

If you have desire to work for any company in the hospital security field, DO NOT GO to This company, you will regret the day you ever even considered it! – less
I have gotten to meet a lot of new people
Unarmed Security Officer (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 20, 2014
Pros: you never know what to expect
Cons: no health care that's good and not enough assignments
If you ever get lucky enough to get an assignment the work day goes very well but it is hard to get an assignment because they hire too many people and have no where to put them. I guess I will be pursuing a security position in Charlotte as well!
Pay and work load
Security Officer (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: fast pace, your day goes by fast
Cons: pay, shifts, management
Pay ins't bad if you work in the ER only thing is trying to get day's or EVEN full time work do to this company likes to work floaters more and part time so they don't have to pay over time.
Great company to work for, along with the structure I need.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 15, 2014
I'm employed with Old Dominion Security, who is contracted with Mary Washington Hospital. I currently work for Snowden at Fredericksburg. I assist staff with patients along with making sure the security of the building and staff is taken care of.
Fun and pofessional work environment
Security Officer (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: stable hours
Cons: benefits
Very good place to work and advance. Knowledgeable supervisors who are always willing to help you advance. Team environment and it is never a time where you feel alone.
Nice company to work for.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Richmond, VANovember 15, 2013
Nice company to work for . Company offers benefits and job training.
Productive and fun place to work with interesting colleagues.
Safety/Security Officer (Current Employee), INOVA Fairfax Hospital Fairfax, VAOctober 2, 2013
Pros: discounted meals for employees at the hospital cafeteria.
Cons: salary too low compared to work done, healthcare too expensive compared to pay, high risk of contractible diseases.
Typical day at work is fun and productive. About 97 percent of my co-workers are fun to work with. I have learned a lot since my first day at work at the location. Even though working at the hospital can be demanding and challenging at times, the experience gained so far is positively overwhelming.
However, the hardest part of the job is assisting nurses – more... and doctors to restraint violent patients while administering medication. Some of these patients can be very combative at times, and it is difficult to know if they have contractible diseases which could easily be contracted by officers during patient assist.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a large numbers of officers at a shift. Working in unity towards a goal gives me joy. – less
Healthcare
Security Officer (Former Employee), Alexandria, VASeptember 16, 2013
It is not that easy but its not that hard either its what u make it
Rewarding, and a great opportunity for advancement.
Customer Engagement Officer (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VASeptember 11, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: standing and walking for long hours
Helping others, by providing friendly customer service, and safety for all customers and employees. I learned to respond to individuals needing my help in a very consistent, fair manner. I worked alone. The hardest part was standing and walking for 8 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of my job was making someone elses day brighter and enhancing their – more... shopping experience. – less
Good work place with tons of hours.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Gordonsville, VAMay 28, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: hours
I like this job a lot, but the hours are plentiful and most of the time i am working so i have no spare time. The pay is excellent for the area, and benefits are decent also.
Very well presented company with poor management
Engagement Officer (Former Employee), Durham, NCMay 21, 2013
Pros: security certification, uniforms, and training provided
Cons: expensive healthcare deductables, management, all backgrond checks are deducted out of the employees first check
Great vision and prsentation of job security to employees, but poor execution in management to carry it out
not a good place to work for
i worked my butt off (Former Employee), nowhere usaMay 6, 2013
Cons: pay, benifits, sceduling, raises, leadership, everything else
just an fyi, I have a considerable amount of work experience, I have worked for many companies, have held jobs for several years with good companies and still do today.

there are so many more bad things to say that I cant fit this review in this box, ill skip to the point...
no advancement, no benefits, no raises, wayyy to much micromanaging, bad chain – more... of command system, every day was a struggle to keep from being wrote up, no matter what u would do it would get someone upset, I would never ever recommend this place to anyone to work unless it is the only place u can find a job, and trust me u would wish u would have not been hired. anything they put on their website is a bunch of garbage, raises, advancement all that stuff is not true. and to top it off almost every paycheck for 2 years was short and than they would make it up on the next one, which was tolerable until it came to my last check, they DID NOT PAY ME AT ALL, and so I call Friday morning bout needing to be paid, and they said they would call back, I call later that afternoon and no one was still in the office, they went home... I spent at least 2 hours on the phone Monday to get MY paycheck, and most of the time on the phone was proving the days I worked, since when did someone have to go through days and PROVE they worked. one other thing about the whole not getting paid thing, they still do paper timesheets, and one of the days that I signed in they crossed it out and said I did not work, how the heck can I not work and my signature is right there on that sheet?

the scheduling sucked, I know the schedule says, "subject to change" however I cannot recall one week where it was not changed, y give me a schedule if its NEVER going to stay what they said. I try to plan my life around work and then its, 'you come to work or its a no show', and one month there was only ONE day I had off because of training I had to go to, I had 2 days of mandatory training and if I did not go I was terminated, I had to work 16 hours 2 days in a row because of training, and the worst part of the training was it was UNPAIED. that's dummer than a bag of rocks if u ask me, work ridiculous unpaid hours.

bottom line is don't!

review stops here
------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is my own personal feelings and experiences towards this company, this may not reflect your actual experience, however u stand warned. – less
A Learning Experience with every oming day
Security Officer (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 24, 2013
Pros: meeting new people everyday
A Typical day at work is greeting the visitors who enter into the hospital to visitor,or helping a patient thats coming in for a procedure.Ive learned how to deal with all types of people.Management is great old dominion is a good company to start out in the security field with, they really care about their workers.My Co-Workers and I are like one big – more... happy family.The hardest part of my job is when someone loses a family member.The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that each day i will come across someone different and new each day that would help me to continue to grow as a security officer. – less
A productive workplace that tests your abilities and knowledge.
Employee (Current Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 30, 2012
A typical day for Old Dominion Security, Inc. involves working along-side dedicated and motivational coworkers. My supervisors are constantly testing my abilities to perform tasks on my own, which allows me to demonstrate my full potential. I have gained a great deal of knowledge and skills during my time at ODS, and I have also gained an enormous amount – more... of respect for the company as a whole. – less
Decent place to work at for part-time
Security officer (Current Employee), Clinton, NCOctober 27, 2012
Pros: discounted food at cafe, helping people
Cons: dealing with unruly patients, having to watch them all night
A typical work day includes, unlocking doors, making badges/passes for employees, dealing with unruly patients getting out of hand, assisting law enforcement with detaining a patient.
I have learned that communication is key. Seen alot of mistakes happen where co-workers werent paying attention or on the same page as everyone else when handling certain – more... situations.
Management is better. I would not say its the best because it has room for alot more improvement.
Alot of my co-workers are either veterans like me, or cops. We get along well and work very well together
The hardest part of the job is where i have to give a loved one personal belongings from a recently deceased family member. Having to stand there and hand over someones watch, or necklace, etc. to someone who is crying....its tough at times.
The most enjoyable part about this job is free roam. I am by myself alot and get to walk around the buildings without having being stuck behind a desktop or office. – less