Old Dominion Security

Old Dominion Security United States Employee Reviews

Great position while in School
Security Sergeant (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 16, 2015
This is a great position for someone who is currently in school and working on a degree. It is a easy way to bring in a little money on the side.
Waste of your Time & Life
Security Officer (Former Employee), Falls Church, VirginiaDecember 23, 2014
Pros: you get a virginia unarmed security officer license
Cons: fighting patient, low wages, incompetent manager, etc
Bottom Line : $13 hour for doing everything for hospital staff except the job you were hired for.You might have to get into a fight a psych patient so if you like fighting there you go. Health & Dental Benefits stinks, You couldn't possibly afford it. The only Job advancement is to be a supervisor..for a $1 more.smh only apply for this if your desperate or your just love drama in your life.
Taking over Northwest Community Hospital IN HOUSE Security
Former NWCH security officer (Former Employee), Arlington Heights/NWCHNovember 29, 2014
Pros: absolutely none
Cons: penny pinching at it's finest, all the risks with no benefits
This company is currently NOT LICENSED to operate as a security company in Illinois , they are taking over the now proprietary security department at Northwest Community Hospital, whose members are loosing all their excellant in house wages & benefits and insurance for the terrible to no benefits ; No shift differentials, No PTO , none to little or no sick leave, little or no vacations, In hospital security you risk being kicked,punched , spat at or upon, have urine and feces thrown at you. You engage in restraints of violent individuals who may or may not have HIV, hepititis c, and any other of the spectrum of virus's and sickness alcohol and drug abusers have.You will have to sit hours on end with these same individuals, you will have spend hours outside jump starting cars or valet parking them in the bitter cold rain or shine, night or day. For 10 or 11 bucks and hour is this all worth it to you.
Enjoy working in the field I have a degree in.
Unarmed security officer (Current Employee), Richmond, VANovember 9, 2014
Cons: its part time so i may not necessarily get all the days i request.
I screen patients entering the hospital currently for Ebola. We have 2-3 questins to ask before they enter the lobby to register to be seen by a doctor.
Great work place
Part time Security Officer (Current Employee), Durham, NCOctober 20, 2014
Slow days of patrols
Learned correct security training: first line of defense
Great management and co-workers
Not a severely hard job
Great opportunity
Very work friendly environment, easy going coworkers and very productive management.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Richmond VaAugust 19, 2014
Pros: department of criminal justice service authorization
Working for ODS consist of everyday securing the plant of employees making sure that it is a safe and work friendly environment. We make sure that trucks, employees and visitors are properly logged in to our system to further easy access to the plant for those who frequently are present. Co-workes make the job easy by being supportive and helpful with advice and decision making for our company dealing with clients and establishing better relationships with future clients. The hardest part of the job is not granting access to those whom you know have to come into work but do not have the proper identification. Without the proper ID, we are not allowed to let anyone on the property. It makes the job hard to deny those whom we see everyday and know are not trespassers. We have a job to do and we cannot jeopardize our own jobs by giving them access to the plant. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people who come to work everyday willing to give 100% every single day with no complaints.
good company to work for
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Stafford, VAJune 21, 2014
Cons: would not recognize your work or loyalty
good company to work for with the exception of even if you were a loyal employee had a good record still you would not be hired back if you left the company on good terms. I left on FMLA and my job was terminated when I was ready to come back after I was told I could no rehire. Company changed policy if you worked there before you could not be re hired this stinks think twice about working for this company.
Not good
Security Officer (Current Employee), Falls Church, VAJune 17, 2014
Cons: pay work environment
Low pay for the for work . Low moral and hi turnover. There will never be a raise I was told point blank. If you complain they tell you there's the door.
some days are productive others are not
Security Officer (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 21, 2014
Pros: always overtime
Cons: the benifits are not good at all
A typical day at work involves dealing with Patients that are out of control, Marking patrols throughout the hospital observing and reporting anything you see out of the ordinary. My coworkers I work with on day shift are great! the hardest part of my job would not be restraining patients but when we have slow days and nothing is going on I am young I need to move around. the most enjoyable part of my job is when we have a busy day and i am constantly moving around dealing with my team and patients or visitors at the hospital.
Professional workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee), Newport News, VAApril 10, 2014
I would love to be employed with this company. The management is excellent, and the people are very professional
Not a good company to work for.
Safety n Security (Former Employee), Inova Fairfax Hospital Falls Church VaApril 4, 2014
Pros: was much better when we worked for inova.
Cons: poorly managed company. too litle pay for the work required.
As a former employee of Inova Fairfax Hospital i felt disrespected when they decided to go to ODS. I was fortunate enough to keep my pay but my coworkers made less than enough money for the job we did. At Inova Fairfax you are considered the police. We constantly fought drug addicts, mental health patients, homeless people and on and on. I was fortunate to only get hurt in one fight in my 7 years working there. My immediate supervisor showed that he cared but anyone higher up showed no interest. I have had coworkers who tore the acl, get spat on bite and so much more. Not to mention the dr reds, code pinks and all the other drills that are done on a regular basis. Dont get me wrong, but Fairfax was the only one conducting these drils. Alexandria,Loudoun, Fair Oaks were not doing this. This is what i mean when i say poor management. All of the hospitals should be on the same page. I could go on and on buti will end here. This could be a great job if the higher ups really cared about oficers and their safety instead of just worrying about having a body on the shift.
Simply Put, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!
Former employee (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: absolutly none
Cons: poor over all, period!
As a tenured very professional former ( resigned ) employee in the field of contracted security, I must say this has to be THE WORST managed company in the security industry. POOR Management, POOR moral, POOR HR, POOR overall work ethics ever. I worked at the Fairfax Hospital location for over a year and was a year there way to long. This company does not care for or look out for any of there employees. PERIOD!
The offer the LOWEST wages for what the work load of a Major Detention Hospital should offer.
No compensation for injury's received by the dedicated officers who put themselves in harms way on a day to day basis. When departing the company after giving your all, they treat you as though you were never there. My coworkers were a great group of officers, who looked after each other however, management could care less and barely even sought to provided uniforms for they're officers. Getting uniforms or gear was like pulling teeth, they simply are not interested in their employees and are extremely cheap. Upon leaving the company they play games with your paycheck which is against the laws of employment in VA.

If you have desire to work for any company in the hospital security field, DO NOT GO to This company, you will regret the day you ever even considered it!
I have gotten to meet a lot of new people
Unarmed Security Officer (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 20, 2014
Pros: you never know what to expect
Cons: no health care that's good and not enough assignments
If you ever get lucky enough to get an assignment the work day goes very well but it is hard to get an assignment because they hire too many people and have no where to put them. I guess I will be pursuing a security position in Charlotte as well!
Pay and work load
Security Officer (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: fast pace, your day goes by fast
Cons: pay, shifts, management
Pay ins't bad if you work in the ER only thing is trying to get day's or EVEN full time work do to this company likes to work floaters more and part time so they don't have to pay over time.
Great company to work for, along with the structure I need.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 15, 2014
I'm employed with Old Dominion Security, who is contracted with Mary Washington Hospital. I currently work for Snowden at Fredericksburg. I assist staff with patients along with making sure the security of the building and staff is taken care of.
Fun and pofessional work environment
Security Officer (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: stable hours
Cons: benefits
Very good place to work and advance. Knowledgeable supervisors who are always willing to help you advance. Team environment and it is never a time where you feel alone.
Nice company to work for.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Richmond, VANovember 15, 2013
Nice company to work for . Company offers benefits and job training.
Productive and fun place to work with interesting colleagues.
Safety/Security Officer (Current Employee), INOVA Fairfax Hospital Fairfax, VAOctober 2, 2013
Pros: discounted meals for employees at the hospital cafeteria.
Cons: salary too low compared to work done, healthcare too expensive compared to pay, high risk of contractible diseases.
Typical day at work is fun and productive. About 97 percent of my co-workers are fun to work with. I have learned a lot since my first day at work at the location. Even though working at the hospital can be demanding and challenging at times, the experience gained so far is positively overwhelming.
However, the hardest part of the job is assisting nurses and doctors to restraint violent patients while administering medication. Some of these patients can be very combative at times, and it is difficult to know if they have contractible diseases which could easily be contracted by officers during patient assist.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a large numbers of officers at a shift. Working in unity towards a goal gives me joy.
Healthcare
Security Officer (Former Employee), Alexandria, VASeptember 16, 2013
It is not that easy but its not that hard either its what u make it
Rewarding, and a great opportunity for advancement.
Customer Engagement Officer (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VASeptember 11, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: standing and walking for long hours
Helping others, by providing friendly customer service, and safety for all customers and employees. I learned to respond to individuals needing my help in a very consistent, fair manner. I worked alone. The hardest part was standing and walking for 8 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of my job was making someone elses day brighter and enhancing their shopping experience.

Old Dominion Security Salaries