Old Dominion University

Old Dominion University Employer Reviews

A school with never ending resources
Student Teacher (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMarch 16, 2015
I loved my school and the education program. I had a variety of teachers who taught me vast techniques and strategies to reinforce in my future classroom. I felt supported and well practiced to be successful in my field.
Awesome university
Mathematics Tutor/Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 5, 2015
Wonderful place to work.
Communication was key for working with students.
About 90% of co-workers were easy to talk to and respectful.
best years of my graduate carreer
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 2, 2015
I had a wonderful research team. Both colleagues and adviser were very helpful and friendly. The best chemistry program in the Area
Great Learning Experience
Floor Representative of Gresham Community Council (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 28, 2015
College student gaining great life experiences. The school offers employment opportunities, financial assistance, and many other benefits. This is a great school to choose.
This company takes chances on new employees.
Mechanic Helper (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 23, 2015
Great opportunity to learn the HVAC field from professional, kind, willing to take a risk type employer. Great co-workers who bend over backwards to help you succeed.
A rewarding job
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: a great team of workers
Cons: na
good place to work
supervision of probation teens
counseling them
great team workers
great administrators
need a good written and oral communication
the job provides a room to grow to higher level or even different positions
Great Place to work with helpful and knowlegable supervisor and good pay
Night Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: able to do school work
Cons: short to no breaks
This was an overnight position specifically for Old Dominion Students. Hours were from 11:45 p.m to 5 a.m. I learned how to communicate with my supervisor and students respectfully and with tact. The hardest part of the job was staying awake and being attentive on the job because of the hard hours. The most enjoyable part was probably being able to complete some school work during work hours.
ODU @ BRCC
Office Services Assistant (Current Employee), BRCC CampusFebruary 11, 2015
Provide student services and clerical support for Old Dominion University’s distance learning site at Blue Ridge Community College. Duties include classroom set up, proctoring exams, receptionist duties, data input using Microsoft Office programs, internet, and e-mail usage. Other duties include answering phones, filing, photocopying, proofing, processing bulk mailings, equipment monitoring, collecting and distributing course materials, assisting
students with on-line procedures, hosting information tables, and assist the assistant site director with other office duties as needed
fun workplace
Student peer educator (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Very good for someone with a can do attitude. Culture is very friendly.
Workplace
Administration & Office Specialist III (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 26, 2014
 Schedule and organize correspondence exams for distance learning
students for 80+ colleges and universities
 Facilitate and proctor annual entrance exams (HESI) for over 250
students pursuing Nursing degrees
 Administer entrance and placement exams for Old Dominion University which include Writing Sample Placement, COMPASS Math Placement, Foreign Language Placement, and Exit Writing Exams
 Proctor national and admissions exams which include GMAT, GRE, LSAT, SAT, MPRE, MAT, CLEP, and DANTES Exams
Fast-paced, ever-changing, exciting workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: flexible with hours no matter what the situation, different/varying tasks daily
Cons: only a part-time position and often more work to do than can be accomplished in the allotted time
Aside from my assigned job task of data reporting, I have been allotted almost full supervision responsibility of one branch of our center consisting of about 10 employees. Due directly to the counseling I receive from my manager I have grown in my character and professionalism tremendously. My workplace is extremely flexible although there is an almost overwhelming amount of work. On a daily basis we are faced with new tasks being unexpectedly assigned with very little description and no direction of how to accomplish the task, which provides experience and skill in being creative and quick on my feet. There are two things that I like most about my job; I am able to listen to music and drift into my own world while working and seeing the employees come in to vent, to express excitement and seeing them develop and grow throughout their college careers.
Learned A lot
Facilities Management Internship (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 23, 2014
Shadowed the Facilities Manager. Learned how to run an Athletic Building, recreational programs, monitored gym, pool....I got the full effect.
Loved this job
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2014
Best experience being a teaching assistant. Loved it. Wish I could have done it longer.
Good to work for as a student
Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee), norfolk, vaNovember 12, 2014
I have had a great opportunity to work for the MSRC at ODU. Great boss and great hours.
Productive, educational workplace
Intern (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2014
Pros: easy access to professors
Entertaining and friendly environment that influenced further educational and work related growth.
Great opportunities to enhance your knowledge in a distant learning environment.
Media Specialist III (Current Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2014
Pros: there is always something new to learn and the co-workers are a joy to be around.
Cons: the four month schedule rotation sometimes causes conflict with my personal schedule.
The work day consist of meeting new people and being able to provide customer service to instructors and students. Depending on the upgrades to keep up with todays technology it is a constant learning work place. The management team memebers are hands on and informational. My co-workers are a joy to be around and also willing to learn and implement new procedures whenever they are put into place. The hardest part of my job is the four month schedule rotation and the most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers.
Productive and professional place to work.
Customer Relations, Chief Web Content Contributor (Current Employee), Portsmouth, VANovember 11, 2014
A great place to work and get an education at the same time. I have been afforded the opportunity to pursue my Master's while working here. I am allowed 3 hours per week to attend class during business hours. My supervisor is very supportive.
Graduate teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk VANovember 10, 2014
I work there as a Graduate teaching assistant. Where I teach elementary statistics course.
Overall a great opportunity to gain experience
Recreation and Wellness Center Facility Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 8, 2014
Working at the Student Recreation Center is the most wanted job on the Old Dominion campus. I'm forever grateful for the opportunities I've had since being employed there. I've advanced from a customer service rep. to a facility manager(which is the highest student position). The job requires a lot but I've definitely gained manager experience that is essential to the work world. It is a unique job to have as a student because things are constantly changing in your life as well as the people you are employed with. Each semester is always different as people graduate and you have to adjust to different scheduling, employees, and university policies. The hardest part about the job is having good communication between staff. The most enjoyable part is the interaction between students and faculty of the university.
Great Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 3, 2014
I learned a great deal about analytics, the research process, and how to coordinate working on several projects at the same time. It was always a great time. The professors and graduate students were incredibly helpful and inclusive.

1 2 3 4 5