Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

Great University to work for, except for the limited amount of work hours.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 13, 2017
Overall, the University is an excellent place to receive an education and my co-workers are great people to work with. They deserve to be recognized for their hard work and efforts
Pros
Job Security; Job work; Life Balance
Cons
Management good be a lot better. Low pay. No benefits.
PUBLIC RELATIONS SPECIALIST INTERN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 10, 2017
I interned with the university's public relations department. Good place to work with friendly people always willing to lend a hand. Very easy to get along with everyone.
Innovative and great environment
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 10, 2017
Great! I loved working for ODU. Great work Environment. great place if you would like to work in a lively place where they are willing to listen to your ideas.
It is a very customer service friendly environment.
PROGRAM SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 8, 2017
Talking with students, data entry, and working with co-workers. The workload is busy, but we are a focused and working campus to get the job done and to support the students at Old /dominion University.
it was where I went to college
Student (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 4, 2017
Like any other college, you get out what you put in. All the instructors were great. Coarse material was relevant to what I am doing now in my career.
educational setting
Library Specialist/Circulation Desk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 2, 2017
working at OLD Dominion was challenging and exciting because you are able to assist patron with challenging questions and using my learned experience.
Pros
learning experience
lab assistant
Human Genome Project Lab Assistant for Dr. D Wolfe (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 22, 2017
Always something interesting and new projects being performed. If you are interested and willing to work hard there is really no limit as to how much you can learn here.
Learning Curve
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 11, 2017
Old Dominion University is a good place for people in need of financial help as there are lot of scholarships and assistantship opportunities for the deserved.
great
Academic tutor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2017
working as a GTA was cool, we didnt know hether or not we still had jobs for the next semester which was not cool at all. it was very stresful not knowing if we still had jobs the next semester, it was based on how many students had signed up for the classes.
decent work place
Events Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 4, 2017
When I started it was great, my supervisor was there if i had questions etc, but as time when on he was promoted and had no time to devote to myself or other people who reported to him
Pros
independqnt work
Cons
getting called out for things you had nothing to do with
Good experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 1, 2017
Nice environment, friendly colleagues, diversity welcomed. A good institute to get your education and gain valuable hands on research experience. Overall good institute.
Experience
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 27, 2017
Cornelius police department hired me at the time the I gravely needed a job which I appreciate. My personal experience with the department was not admirable. I worked under a supervisor that I feel ran a very toxic workplace and I was very uncomfortable every time I walked to work. Working under her was a large part of me deciding to relocate back to Virginia.
Great coworkers and management
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VirginiaJune 22, 2017
Job Work/Life Balance- Flexible hours

Salary/Benefits- Competitive

Job Security/Advancement- Job security yes, advancement, no

Management- excellent

Job Culture- great coworkers
Awesome place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dragas Hall, Old Dominion UniversityJune 20, 2017
Friendly environment to work and one can learn a lot.

Great place to work.

Best place for a Teaching Assistant.

The supervisor was very supportive.
A great place to learn and build your skills
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 20, 2017
I was studying here as well and it helped me greatly me learn new technologies and also helped me improve the way we communicate with each other. Teaching under such a good professor who always guided us was such a pleasure
Very busy and demanding, yet people are great!
INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2017
ODU is a traditional university with an increased push for online learning. As an instructional designer, my colleagues and I are consistently creating opportunities for student learning, as well as finding new opportunities to learn ourselves.

It is much more challenging to learn online and to create an online course. Supporting course and learning objectives through engaging and interactive instructional material are key for student learning.

In addition to an instructional designer, we are also the project manager for our courses. After analyzing a course, managing the components and allocating tasks to team members allow for maximum development.

Working as a team is the workplace culture. There is support from colleagues and supervisors alike.

The most challenging part of the job is meeting the deadlines since we have an ongoing cycle and are given new course development assignments every three months. We develop from start to finish and collaborate with teaching faculty with the development of their course.

The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new subject matter since we work with various programs and curricular. Meeting new faculty and having the opportunity to collaborate and network with different people is also enjoyable.
Pros
Opportunity for collaboration and team work, never run out of things to do, job security
Cons
No room for advancement
Fun
Tutor/Mentor, Life Enrichment Center (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 12, 2017
If you like working with people and making people better than this is for you! Loved how they make it fun and not stressful. Always meeting new people and bettering yourself as well as others! Very eye opening and fun place to be at!
Typical Student IT Job
DESKTOP SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 12, 2017
The job was exciting and felt like actual work, when there was work to be done. In lulls, where no tickets were coming in, the job was very slow and mentally taxing.
Pros
I felt like I actually learned computer skills
Cons
Some days were boring
Learn a lot
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 7, 2017
You can get into several different technologies. You may spend a month or two with Angular, or HTML, Javascript, etc. So you'll get to see different sides of the spectrum. You may have meetings with clients, to determine the work your doing and if it's in line with the needs of the user. Generally, you'll get some form of specifications to work from.
Pros
Holiday dinners
Cons
distance
Graduate Student Assistantship
Academic Coach, Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 5, 2017
ODU provides graduate students with the opportunity to work for a stipend to help with living expenses. I worked both as an Academic Coach (205-2016) and Writing Tutor (2016-2017). Management was competent, friendly, and helpful. Work environment was casual but with an expectation of professionalism toward students.