Old Dominion University Employee Reviews in United States

Working for the state always a plus
Facilities maintenance (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 4, 2016
Enjoyed working on a college campus. It was a new experience and one I wouldn't mind dwelving into again. Left under strenuous circumstances but would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Timing was off
Helping students
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 31, 2015
I enjoyed working and helping students that needed the help. Each day was great seeing that I made a student college experience better.
Great Institution
Associate Vice President for Learning (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 30, 2015
Wonderful institution of higher education, with very supportive senior leadership. Focused on student success, and supportive of all employees.

I have continued to grow as a senior student affairs administrator, and have honed my leadership and management skills. Fantastic hard working co-workers all dedicated to the success of students.
great job to have
Information Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 27, 2015
They respect your class schedule and it is a great job to apply for while in school. I have a part time job position and I believe the full time jobs have great benefits.
Enthusiastic workplace focused on student development
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 15, 2015
The job balances well your work and school time. It teaches you communication skill and time management skills. The people are friendly and work diligently to provide the best support to their residents.
Grad Student Life
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 9, 2015
Fun to be a grad student. Some courses are good, some are old. A mix of all kind of people. Lots of things happening in the university.
great experince working with all the animals!
Lab Student (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 2, 2015
clean tanks
prepare food for animals
animal care
prepare public speeches
talk to visitors about marine animals
collect water samples
test water quality in tanks
Depends on who you're working for
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 29, 2015
I was lucky to get a very good Mentor to do research with, but I know others who were not so lucky. You complete projects on your own time as long as you finish them by the deadlines given. Most mentors are very helpful and will make sure you learn the ins and outs of research within your first few months but you have to learn quickly how to balance research and class work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 24, 2015
Great place to work while attending school. I learned real life applications and great friends while working in various departments throughout my college years.
Pros
Working on campus
Cons
State funding was scarce
Odu
office manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 23, 2015
I learned the value of team work at ODU. Everyone within our department knows how to come together to get task done. I learn/value the mentor/employee relationship that I developed with my supervisor over the past two years. Our work days in SEES are very busy yet exciting. We get to work with students hands on as well as take time out to communicate with one another during monthly office meetings.
The most amazing environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2015
Great place with awesome people who are always willing to help and have a good time together. Very comfortable place. Have learned a lot from associates.
Pros
Snacks and free coffee
Cons
Too cold in the office year round
Professional and a good experience.
Undergraduate Research Assistant NIDA Grant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 8, 2015
As a undergraduate, this experience for working for Old Dominion University Research Foundation has been pretty good. They are professional and efficient. Overall, a good experience.
Pros
Fast and reliable pay
Excellent Program
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of PhysicsOctober 1, 2015
Very well organized department, wonderful colleagues. Requires lots of hard work and dedication. Wonderful advisors.
Research & Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 30, 2015
The culture is very good and everyone treats to well and guides you to grow. A very friendly atmosphere and a lot of qualified staff who are eager to teach.
Horrible job
Housekeeping (temp) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 31, 2015
horrible job , they only care about themselves! Its not worth it i promise! from the management to the supervisors is HORRIBLE ! THEY ARE ALL SNEAKING !
Pros
the money
Cons
everybody there
Laid back environment!
Night Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2015
Already did one. But I shall do one again! It was a really cool environment and my coworkers were really nice and helpful. Compensation was nice as well!
TA position was mostly grading papers; nothing exciting
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 21, 2015
The only position available at the time was as a grader; I would have liked a lab instructor position, but those positions were taken. There was nothing very interesting in the tasks I was assigned.
Pros
Little work is required
Cons
Grading freshman papers is terrible
• Improve students' academic skills through intensive classroom instruction • Furthered students' academic, personal, social, and cultural development
TRIO Upward Bound Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 17, 2015
• Motivated students to graduate from high school, matriculate to, and graduate from postsecondary education
• Enhanced the academic relationships among students, parents, and high school staff members for student success
Good place
ADMINISTRATIVE GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 6, 2015
Old Dominion University is not just a good place to go to school, but it is a great place to work for as well. For the most part, faculty are nice and very helpful.
Knowledgeable and Engaging job
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 29, 2015
Best part about this job is teaching undergraduate students new topics in c++ and helping them with their assignments,exams. Maintaining the website for c++ course, updating it everyday with students details and their feedback were some daily tasks I was involved in.
Pros
Teaching, Teaching and Teaching
Cons
Long hours of work

4.4