Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

Really cool faculty
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 10, 2017
I had a receptionist position, so I would work at the front desk everyday. I would answer phone calls, enter data for my supervisors using Excel, create posters for their research, and file records. The faculty was really laid back and helped whenever I needed their assistance. The job was not hard at all. Sometimes, faculty members would bring snacks for everyone, so it was great.
Pros
Snacks from faculty
Cons
n/a
Excellent school D1 academics
Full time student/homemaker (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 10, 2017
Attended Old Dominion University and I learned so much. Best school ever.. Plan to finish degree online through Distance learning. Very passionate professors
The college was great
Critical Thinking Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 5, 2017
During my time at Old Dominion University, I luckily was selected to work for the school. As a result, I got to be in a position which allowed me to assist students from the library and help in any way that was needed. I always maintained notes and as a result was in a position to help people when the need arose.
This is a location that is best for research oriented professionals
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23529May 4, 2017
Teaching college students today is challenging and not as stimulating as it use to be. There is a sense of entitlement that makes it difficult to have productive responses when students are pushed to produce their best.
Old Dominion, place of the monarchs
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2017
Working for Old Dominion University has been both frustrating, as well as exciting. On the one hand, administration and higher ups don't really seem to give much thought to the well-being of adjunct faculty members. On the other hand, the opportunity for growth within the classroom through professional development opportunities, and the prospect of teaching to specific learning communities enriches the job environment exponentially.
Comfort dependent on department/office
Lecturer in English (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 30, 2017
Working at ODU can be fulfilling if you work in the right department and luck out with the right supervisor. Otherwise, prepare to be used and chewed up.
Wonderful!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2017
I've had a wonderful experience being employed by ODU. I'm sure it all depends on who your direct supervisor is, but mine is wonderful. A great environment!
Productive Place to work
Engineering Tutor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 18, 2017
The Mechanical Engineering Tutoring Lab was a fast paced working environment that continuously challenged my engineering knowledge. I looked forward to working there everyday.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Great Opportunities
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 18, 2017
There are several options for your career. You have opportunities to use different labs, offices and get help from other departments.Professors and staffs are very nice. Very good place to get educated and work.
They are growing
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 9, 2017
The university is growing and making changes. There is much growth happening and much more growth that needs to go. This can be great or terrible depending on what you are looking for in your professional experience.

Want to know more about Old Dominion University?

Ask a question
Wonderful place to complete a Graduate Assistantship
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 31, 2017
Allowed freedom to work without direct supervision, trusted to produce deliverables according to my skill level without being micro-managed. Leadership was always available when needed.
Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 30, 2017
The job is pretty much 24/7. Anything can happen at any time & we just have to roll with the punches. Learned how to handle crisis situations, juggle multiple issues at once, and how to deal with many different types of people. At times, supervisors were unorganized; policies changed very frequently which was often inconvenient. The staff as a whole was great, we had good opportunities to bond with each other.
Old Dominion University Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 30, 2017
Taught introductory laboratory courses in oceanography and Geology. Gained valuable teaching experience and was able to use my own skills and strengths to teach the laboratory.
everything is great
Office Manager & Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 28, 2017
the best place to ever work for. Wish i never left there. Always care about the well being of their workers. A lot of work, but rewarding. I miss it there.
Great Place to Start
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 20, 2017
The culture within the work place is very professional and accommodating. Supervisors listen to the needs of both faculty and students and always do their best to meet those needs.
Productive and fun place to work
PR & Marketing Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 12, 2017
Very influential place to work.
f Norfolk, is Virginia's entrepreneurial-minded doctoral research university with more than 24,500 students, rigorous academics, an energetic residential community, and initiatives that contribute $2.6 billion annually to Virginia's economy.
Mace & Crown--ODU newspaper
Advertising and Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 12, 2017
I first started as an assistant for the head Advertising & Marketing Manger, I was shadowing the former Manger for about a year. With my communication, organization, and persuasiveness abilities I was able to increase our revenue and network. At the end of the school year, I was offered the full-time position right before Summer-of-2016. Currently, I'm the head Advertisement and Marketing Manager, that being said I now manage myself with the help of the M&C Advisors, moreover I’m training two others to take over my position for next year.

All in all, working at ODU had definitely build my resume but also has given me the opportunity to advance and gain skills to help me in both my personal and professional life.
Pros
Opportunity to Advance
Cons
Receiving my commissions and reimbursements.
Odu
Admin and Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 6, 2017
The workplace culture is very old school, this is how its done and don't mess with it. Not enough work given to stay busy day to day. The hardest part about this job is understanding all of the protocols with the state/university.
Pros
healthcare, leave time
Great workplace to learn
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 26, 2017
Being a teaching assistant has given me an opportunity to understand MATLAB and assist undergrads in Heat and Mass Transfer course. The challenging part is to understand the questions of students and provide hints to assist them in their work.
Pros
Interaction with students, learn MATLAB
Cons
Short breaks
Great Place to work.
MONARCH SHUTTLE DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 25, 2017
Awesome work place, very enjoyable to meet new students daily. Driving around the campus seeing the students excited about learning was great.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a