Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection United States Employee Reviews

Awesome Close-knit teams, poor disciplinary actions
Authorization Agent (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great team members, awesome training, flexible lunch periods, location
Cons: disciplinary action is usually insufficient
A typical day as an Authorization Agent is spent talking on the phone with both plan holders such as Home Owners; renter; and Project Managers, and Contractors that are either within or outside of the umbrella of preferred contractors. Usually you try to keep the prices down so that good work is performed for the least cost to the company. Plan Holders often call in with complains about quality of work and/or the quality of the contractor sent out, resulting in your trying to placate the upset caller in the quickest time while remaining professional.

What I learned is a set of skills for handling difficult people that often have a real right to be upset and sometimes have very high expectations. What else I learned is that following by the rules and doing the procedures to a T is not always the best policy and will not always result in promotion or reward. In fact, recognizing what the company cares most about, in this case calls per hour, will result in better circumstances and more opportunities.

The management was very helpful and patient. They were always willing to sit down and work with you, but they wanted to do so efficiently. In short, the management team was Excellent.

The co-workers were mostly awesome as well. The teams were especially close-knit, almost like a family. Outside the teams you were likely to make a few friends and associate with members of different departments. However, there were a few "bad" associates that were rumored to be rude, drop calls, skip steps, etc., resulting in you picking up the slack and suffering for their wanted to increase their – more... calls per hour. This was unfortunately reinforced by the practice that whomever got the unfinished business afterwards not only had to deal with an upset individual on the phone, but they also had to take the extra time to do the extra work. This is really the hardest part of the job, because it is seen as a minor point by management and the consequences for leaving the job unfinished are very minor and won't impact advancement. Instead, if doing so makes you look better, frequently leaving extra work for the next person is rewarded.

The Most enjoyable part of the day is your team. As stated above, the teams are close-knit. And since all the members usually endure the same situations, having fun conversations about them helps relieve the stress of the day. The management will often join in, but also make sure every stays professional and productive. – less
Short Breaks and no ping pong tables.
Authorization Agent (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAJanuary 13, 2015
My function as an Authorization Agent is to authorize work performed by contractors according to established company standards and procedures. I monitored contractor’s work by providing them with correct amount of spending money to full fill a repair or replacement of equipment. Resolve any disputes or issues that may arise. Handle all claims and purchase orders for customers in a fair and appropriate manner. Answer and process incoming work from contractors and plan holders and enter all required information. Dispute Billing issues with contractors. Set up reports with all necessary material and labor to date expenses. Provide Authorization codes to contractors for payment purposes. Other tasks include, processing credit card payments for overdue accounts and working closely with purchasing to resolve escalated matters.
Fun place to work!
Customer Support Agent-Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), San Ramon,CAOctober 13, 2014
Great place to work, great management team in every department.
Professional and relaxed work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), San Ramon, CASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: flexable hours
Cons: unreliable hours as a temporory worker
I came to Old Republic Home Protection to enter data and quickly started doing other projects for them as well. the co-workers and work atmosphere were both encouraging and nurturing.
flex schedule work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), San Ramon, CASeptember 24, 2014
a typical work day consist of taking daily report rom techs and listening to issues from plan holders. authorizing payment for tech to perform work. supervisors are knowledgeable. the hardest part of the job is communicating with plan holders the non covered items that may need to be repair. the co workers are friendly and helps make to working environment within he office fun and go by smoothly.
Great learning experience
Authorization Agent (Current Employee), San Ramon, CASeptember 6, 2014
Pros: regular breaks and lunches
Cons: short breaks
I learned a lot at this job. My supervisors are very helpful and my co-workers always had fun and had my back.
People Helping People
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), San Ramon, CAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: friendly and supportive co-workers, good pay and benefits
Cons: it is near impossible to advance in the company.
A typical day at Old Republic Home Protection is taking anywhere from 40-50 calls a day. Within that day I communicate between Plan Holders, Service Providers, Property Management Companies and Supply Houses. This job is very detail oriented, so when the problem is solved it is very rewarding.
Really fast pace, and two face coworkers.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), CaliforniaJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good pay, free coffee in the morning, clean restrooms.
Cons: really short breaks, outdated computers, chairs are not ergonomics at all.
I worked there for a couple of weeks and all I can say is that it is a fast pace environment. You need to be very punctual, and learn you material to the T. you cannot rely on anybody.
Great Place to Work for
Senior Authorizer (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAJune 3, 2014
I worked at ORHP for ten plus years and I loved my co-workers and the staff .
Ambitious and Experienced BI Professional
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAApril 30, 2014
I look forward to working in an out of the box environment, open to new ideas and tools to improve BI.
Educational and love the people I work with
Accounting Lead (Current Employee), San Ramon, CaOctober 1, 2013
I enjoy learning things, the 10+ years I have been at the company I have constantly moved up and learned so many different tasks. Each job was more exciting and consisted of more multitasking and I enjoyed every different position.
Great Company to Work for.
Non Phone Agent Escalations Department (Former Employee), San Ramon, CASeptember 12, 2013
Pros: competitive pay and benefits. family atmosphere environment.
Cons: outdated computer monitors, and phones.
I've worked for Old Republic Home Protection for over 10 years. This company demonstrated to me time and time again that the philosophy of people helping people is not just a slogan. The philosophy is the company's culture and core value. It's an amazing thing to have worked for a company that provided stability and job security in this time of unstable job market. Overall, Old Republic was a great company to work for. It's too bad that they don't have a branch here in Miami, Fl. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to work for this company again.
Lots of work to be done
Authorization Agent (Current Employee), San Ramon, CAAugust 27, 2013
Old Republic is, in many regards, an old republic. The organization--if you want to call it that-- is behind in many aspects of their progression towards being profitable in areas including their technological platforms, standard operating platforms, training techniques, and overall workplace cultural development. For a company centered in the heart of Bishop Ranch in San Ramon, it would stick out like a sore thumb if its profile were truly published with the feedback from active employees. For a company that has been in business for 30 years, you would expect more.

As an Authorization Agent, a typical day consists of dealing consistently with PC problems (i.e. slow downs, crashes, etc), and when using the PC is a vital part of your role, it makes for inaccurate productivity metrics which is what your performance is based on. The processes involved in documenting calls from plan holders and service providers are redundant in may aspects. There is a slew of Authorization Agents that are praised, rewarded, and recognized for their ability to hit their 'numbers', all in the sake of compromising and disregarding the needs of most important factor of the equation: the customer.

This is a perfect company to work for if you have no ambition and don't mind fixing others' problems with no reward or recognition. Most enjoyable part of the job: Walking out of the front door at 5pm every day.
Call Center
Authorization Call Center Manager (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAJuly 17, 2013
For a new hire on the floor this job can be tough without the right Sup to guide them.

For a Sup this job can also be very stressful especially with a large group of direct reports in the summer.

For a CC manager this job is fun and rewarding if you are self motivated and want the best from your staff.
It was cool
Customer Service Rep (former employee) (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAApril 9, 2013
Pros: good benefits, room for advancement
Cons: short breaks, based on numbers
I loved working here. It was the 1st job I ever enjoyed with my co-workers. I was let go because of supposedly falsifying information, that I really can't prove. working in a call center I'm aware that is a huge NO NO. oh well. I regret what happened, and if they were willing to hire me back, I'd say yes in a heartbeat. I can deal with screaming customers all day, I still loved my job.
Fun and friendly job atmosphere
Sales Service Coordinator (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: opportunities to win contests on attendance & quota's
Cons: had to pay for own health insurance
Work friendly environment, I loved to come to work and work with my co-workers as a team. The management was professional. I learned a lot of skills working with technicians, real estate agents, brokers and homeowners.
Strong corporate culture
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), San Ramon, CADecember 8, 2012
Pros: positive environment
Cons: outsourced development / vendor
Great Product Owner leading MIS Initiatives! Their project deliverables are well suited to Agile; team adapts well to the methodology and process.
No Job Security
Authorization Agent (Former Employee), San Ramon, CANovember 28, 2012
Cons: outdated systems and work environment, micro management
I would have to say this is the most unstable job! People are dropping like flies. There is a lot that's not mentioned of your job requirements till your hired. Like mandatory test the determine your employment as well as being told you'd get a raise after being coming permanent. Which later you will find out that can be 6+ months or whenever they decide. They fire people because they talk to much on the calls or take too long to get through the screens. also you get short breaks and 20 mins a month to use the restroom outside of your breaks which us crazy smh if you have other opportunities lined up please pursue them .
Timing is eveything!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAOctober 30, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: stressful
It was stressful 1working here. Long hours, short breaks, high pased enviroment, the sence of rushing every second and the treat of being fired every day. This call center was focused on short phone calls or you get a warning, 3-5 minute bathroom breaks, if you were late a second, warning. never again!
Somewhat outdated
Employee (Former Employee), San Ramon, CASeptember 16, 2012
This clearly is a good place to work or there wouldn't be such a high percentage of people that have been there for more than 10 years. When it comes to technology and how they do business it's pretty outdated.

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic International keeps pace with changing financial times. With more than 100 subsidiaries across North America, Old – Read more