Old Republic International

Old Republic International Employee Reviews

Office culture was somber, managment had become stiffeling.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 19, 2016
I was hired by this company shortly after it opened in 2009 and was there until recently. I saw a lot of possibilities in the first few years but as time went on they began to take advantage of the employees working 10 to 12 hour shifts and Saturday's. Management became us against them, the floor was always quiet and subdued unlike when the company first started when there was a lot of enthusiasm and life in the office. The people who worked there were nice and everyone got along well but they all felt the cloud hanging over their heads. There was no enjoyable part of the job but I will say the pay and benefits were attractive. The hardest part was having to sit for hours at a desk trying to meet deadlines imposed by management.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
everything else
Very nice co workers
Underwriter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 1, 2016
Although I met and worked with some very nice coworkers management was the real issue. It seems as though management was more worried about their appearance more so than their employees, I was hired, but not properly trained and was shifted around from person to person not currently doing the job that they were training me to do. Lack of communication between departments and department heads that were supposed to be working in conjunction with one another was also a problem. Rude upper management as well as an unprofessional HR representative that showed up to work inebriated on a daily basis.
Pros
Free coffee was provided with a spacious break room
Cons
Poor communication from management and no employee incentive programs
Accountant Role
Junior Accountant / Auditor (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 17, 2015
A typical day at work consist of accounts payable inputting and reviewing. There is a lot of technical and operational accounting task such as claims check cutting and daily check scanning and reviewing. I also do daily analytical and reviewing to ensure accuracy and proper reporting. Management and co workers are supportive. The hardest part of my job is playing catch up if things are behind because i have an important role and it is time sensitive so I like to be one step ahead.The most enjoyable part of my job is the analytical work I enjoy finding useful information to help reporting and decision making or new controls to help better work flow.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Moral is poor and lately been a large turn-over. Compensation can be better
Growing Company with Lots of Potential
Authorization Agent (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CADecember 15, 2015
Old Republic Home Protection (ORHP) is actually a stellar company as it pertains to employees. ORHP definitely aims to make sure every employee is happy. I personally have no issue with the company, this is the first call center I've worked for and I just don't care for being stuck at a desk all day.
Pros
Incentives, overtime
Cons
Low to no raises
wonderful company to work for.
Customer Service Representative/Loss Mitigation (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2016
A well established company that has a great reputation. Nice management time comparable benefit package. Allows great work and life balance and wonderful holiday schedule.
Basic Entry-level company, expect bare minimum
Licensing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
This company often hires employees with minimal to no office work experience. I'd say its a good place to gain experience with the lowest pay possible
Pros
free coffee
Cons
poor management
It was a nice place to work with great job security
Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2015
I would handle renewal and fees for our stock brokers in our Surety
Depatment. Mostly contacting States offices and data entry
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very long commute since office was located in Downtown Chicago
Everyone wanted to help you succeed
Authorization Representative (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAMay 11, 2016
This is a great company, everyone is friendly and wants to see you succeed. There is lots of room for advancement and they don't just look at your tenure they look at you for your worth.
Pros
monthly contests
Cons
metrics
No Job Security
Authorization Agent (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CANovember 28, 2012
I would have to say this is the most unstable job! People are dropping like flies. There is a lot that's not mentioned of your job requirements till your hired. Like mandatory test the determine your employment as well as being told you'd get a raise after being coming permanent. Which later you will find out that can be 6+ months or whenever they decide. They fire people because they talk to much on the calls or take too long to get through the screens. also you get short breaks and 20 mins a month to use the restroom outside of your breaks which us crazy smh if you have other opportunities lined up please pursue them .
Cons
outdated systems and work environment, micro management
Great Company to Work for.
Non Phone Agent Escalations Department (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CASeptember 12, 2013
I've worked for Old Republic Home Protection for over 10 years. This company demonstrated to me time and time again that the philosophy of people helping people is not just a slogan. The philosophy is the company's culture and core value. It's an amazing thing to have worked for a company that provided stability and job security in this time of unstable job market. Overall, Old Republic was a great company to work for. It's too bad that they don't have a branch here in Miami, Fl. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to work for this company again.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits. Family atmosphere environment.
Cons
Outdated computer monitors, and phones.
Good place to work as a full time employee.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orange, CaSeptember 9, 2012
The culture of the company is certainly changing for the better. Management as a whole is actively listening and working toward improving morale.
Salaries are generally on the low side.
Middle and lower management seems to be in a constant state of flux. Reasons for departure range from disagreement with upper management to better salary else where.
Overall pleasant work experience... Just needed more money.
Pros
bingo fridays, doughnuts or bagels also on fridays. improving management and culture.
Cons
low pay. high stress/ high pressure no matter the role or responsibility.
Competitive and social workplace
Authorization Agent (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJune 30, 2016
Work is always very calm, sometimes noisy, but always productive. I never have to hesitate to ask any of my coworkers for help, its an extremely friendly environment
Great co workers
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYJuly 13, 2015
Began work at 8 am, answering all calls and directing them to correct department, processed all outgoing and incoming mail, filing, volunteer to help co workers when my task were completed, hardest part setting up claims, best co workers
benefits
Cons
Poor management, worse supervisor!
Decent Place to Work
State Filing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2012
Pay is under industry standards and benefits were just okay. Healthcare was relatively expensive and advancement prospects were hard to come by. Very old fashioned HR policies (which are slowly coming around).

Management is driven by inertia and slow to change. Co-workers were mostly nice people who wanted to do a good job.

Hardest part of the job was accepting that management was often not interested in making the necessary decisions to move forward.

Most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to be autonomous.
Stable company, life long employment if you want it
Vice President of Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2012
Small company and employees rarely leave making it difficult to move up in the organization.

If you like the 1980's, you'll enjoy this place. Unless you mess up royally, its unlikely that they will ever ask you to leave the company. The technology the company relied on was outdated.

401k matching was matched with company stock, which is good when the stock grows. Over the past few years, the parent company's stock has hovered around $10/share after having been around $30 around 2005.
Pros
life long employment, family atmosphere
Cons
technology is outdated, limited growth
The most rewarding company
Authorization Agent (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CANovember 13, 2012
Ever since i've worked for this company i've never felt like there was lack of any accountability or acknowledgment. If a companies president were similar to Old republics there would be more content people because of the balance of business and personal respect in a work environment. I appreciate this job because there is a vast horizon for growth and good benefits. The experience and knowledge gained from learning different trades can be taken out of work and used in our personal life.
Pros
employee appreciation and incentives, flexible schedules and accrued paid time off
Cons
short breaks and type of customer service
Promissed, but not delivered
Loss Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2016
The corporate recruiter contacted me to see if I was interested in going to work for the company. I was happy with the company I was working for, so I politely declined. A week later the company's corporate recruiter called me again, offered me more and boasted how great the division they wanted me to work for was. I agreed to a formal interview in their regional office. A couple weeks later the interview went well. The HR department took several days to compose the necessary paperwork for the offer. An offer letter was eventually sent to me. A few days had passed, and I had not signed the offer letter. Divisional managers were calling me at night to welcome me to the company and they told me that I was going to love working here. I signed the offer letter 2 days later and sent it to the HR department.

When I started there, I was well received and I was told that everyone and everything was great in this division. A few weeks later is when reality hit. My job scope was expanded without even mentioning it to me. HR was a nightmare to deal with, getting anything from them in an email or even a phone call from them was rare. When HR wants something from you, they get all over you with emails, but when you need something from them, they don't care about you, because you already work there. A few months before I had started with the company, about 2/3rds of the division's staff had quit and walked out within 2 days. No one I had interviewed with had mentioned this to me, HR most definitely did not inform me of this. My quality of life was much better at my previous company.
Pros
Some really good co-workers, pay was good, bennefits were good
Cons
Outright lied to by management, HR is a nightmare, low moral, very disorganized with some things, longer hours that described
It was cool
Customer Service Rep (former employee) (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAApril 9, 2013
I loved working here. It was the 1st job I ever enjoyed with my co-workers. I was let go because of supposedly falsifying information, that I really can't prove. working in a call center I'm aware that is a huge NO NO. oh well. I regret what happened, and if they were willing to hire me back, I'd say yes in a heartbeat. I can deal with screaming customers all day, I still loved my job.
Pros
good benefits, room for advancement
Cons
short breaks, based on numbers
People Helping People
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 18, 2014
A typical day at Old Republic Home Protection is taking anywhere from 40-50 calls a day. Within that day I communicate between Plan Holders, Service Providers, Property Management Companies and Supply Houses. This job is very detail oriented, so when the problem is solved it is very rewarding.
Pros
Friendly and supportive Co-Workers, Good pay and benefits
Cons
It is near impossible to advance in the company.
Overall, I enjoyed my job with Old Republic.
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYMay 7, 2015
Provided me with opportunities to gain insight into multiple state workers' compensation programs. I enjoyed working with my staff so the most difficult part was when we received notice that the office would be closing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Republic International. Our community is ready to answer.

Old Republic International Reviews by Location