Oldcastle

Oldcastle Employee Reviews

Fast Paced, Cutting Edge, Safety Built company.
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee), Bowling Green, FLAugust 25, 2015
Fast Pace Atmosphere, Co Workers are Team Players, Management are Well Informed and Patient, 7 Day a Week, Not Much Time To Spend With My Family Was The Only Draw Back.
Quick summery of Oldcastle Preccast
Manager was Elliott Taylor (Former Employee), Raleigh, North CarolinaAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Salary, Benefits and Opportunities
Cons: Sixty Plus Hours A Week
My job at Old Castle was enjoyable because we were pushed to make production which helped the day move quickly. I was able to learn several different jobs while working there..
While there, management changed hands twice. Each manager had their own expectations which created some confusion at first but was good in the long run.
My coworkers were of all ethnicity which was interesting. We were able to bond on, as well as off the job in a informal setting.
Hardest part of the job was during peak times we were expected to work 60 plus hours. This left little down time to rest and unwind.
I enjoyed learning Quality Control the most. I took pride in what I did and the product we produced.
Company in constant growth for competitive advantage
Div. Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 10, 2015
A great opportunity to learn many new skills and knowledge in an environment of change. Opportunity for continued skill and knowledge advancement through training programs and opportunities. Great culture.
Great people.
Division Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), Taylors, SCAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Staff.
Cons: Depressing environment.
I worked with great people who do thankless work. Unfortunately, it was a depressing environment. I resigned for a better opportunity.
Fun workplace great people
Finisher (Current Employee), Aberdeen MarylandJuly 30, 2015
Pros: I got to work with my friends and family.
Cons: Long hours and a lot of travel.
The average workday was to get up between 2am and 4am to go meet the foreman. Get in the company truck and then drive to the job that starts at 7am. When we got to the job then we would set concrete plank, cut holes, mix and pour concrete, or grout.
Could be a lot better
PM (Current Employee), Telford, PAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Keep travel rewards
Cons: no organization, very low base pay
This particular division of the company seems to be struggling. They need to get back to basics and develop a structure that will help the business compete with the more highly competitive environment we are now in. I was promoted to PM but never formally given the title or a corresponding raise. I was given no training on standard procedures. I was handed a project in catastrophic condition and – more... some additional projects that were very poorly budgeted. These projects were remote to the office location so I turned out to be an island. This forced me to learn the few standard procedures by trial and error. Often learning that there was certain documentation for specific standard industry practices after completing the practice or searching for standard documents and finding out there isn't one an that I would have to make my own. My biggest hang up is the pay. They are at the very low end of salaries for PMs. They do offer bonuses but they only turn out well if you have a well budgeted project. In my case, bonuses weren't in the cards. Without bonuses and being on a 55k salary... its just not worth it. I can see how this position could be better and worth the effort if I were given projects that had an opportunity to succeed but there are always trouble projects that need to be handled and I was given those. It could have also been better for me if Management, given that they knew the status of the projects, would consider that when assessing my performance and compensation. Perhaps they could change my title to turn around manager. – less
Produtions
Tam Furnace (Former Employee), Schofield, WIJuly 27, 2015
The place is very nice to work at. The co-works and supervisors are very friendly. This place is hot and humid. Its also a fast pace job to work at.
Challenging but fun.
Production Worker (Current Employee), Spokane Valley, WAJune 13, 2015
Hardest part of the day is waiting for that last 15 min of work to go by so you can go home and prepare for another day. Co-workers are awesome, become like your brothers and sisters. You will learn multiple jobs during you career, how ever long you decide to stay in, it is a lot of fun and very fulfilling.
Great company with unlimmited opportunities
Industrial Operations Manager (Former Employee), Beaumont, TexasJune 12, 2015
Pros: large corporation
Cons: large corporation
OMG is a huge company that has many opportunities to better yourself. Performance is rewarded, and the people are awesome.
good place
full time employee (Current Employee), Napoleon ohJune 5, 2015
Pros: job security benefits
Cons: fast pace physical
Good job work hard and you get rewards. Fast paced demanding job. Safety is a must and promoted from the top down. Respectful and helpful coworkers if you need help someone will come and show you new ways to make your job easier
It's not a friendly enviroment.
Steel Laborer and department lead (Current Employee), Chandler, AZ.June 4, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: NONE
Oldcastle Precast USED to be a company worth working for. Not anymore. Poor management, lack of respect for their employees, poor pay, no hard work rewards, not even a thank you.
Fast paced production invironment.
Plant Forman (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCJune 4, 2015
Wide open all the time! I learned most of my production skills and the operation of Block producing equipment in the first years of employment with no prier experience. I then started participating in maintenance which became second nature as fast as production did. I'd like to thank the Production Manager at that time for recognizing my natural talent and kicking me right in the middle of everything. – more... My twelve years at this company evolved me into a major key player in the Block industry. Very rounded well oiled environment with all the training I wanted from some of the best production/maintenance team members I still to this day have ever seen. The hardest part of this job was the ridiculous amount of hours expected to work which left almost no time for a family. The best part of this job was being able to work hands on with equipment that I was already infatuated with as a teen and becoming very good at many skills needed to advance in the Block Plant industry. – less
good work place
Press operator (Former Employee), Napoleon, OHMay 12, 2015
Pros: got free lunches
Cons: the benfits
Ran press clean the area used a forklift was able to help other people got lock out tag out ran three presses at once over all the job was great there was some good co workers and others was not bad i enjoyed working there
Oldcastle
Capital Project Manager (Current Employee), TX, CO, ID, AZ, WA, OR, NCMay 8, 2015
Oldcastle Precast has given me great opportunities. I have managed multiple large projects as an owners representative all over the West and Texas. I have had the chance to work with many different cultures in the US with great success. Management has changed multiple times which has proven difficult to gain accomplishment in the job. Looking to not travel as much and be successful and accomplished.
Productive, learn new things and crosstrain
Plumber/Lead (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 4, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, good company
Cons: Run out of work often
When they have work, you could be productive. I've learn new things in this company, like cross trained in different departments. Management is alright I guess, they care a lot about safety.
ok
Assistant Plant Manager (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 15, 2015
Pros: Willing to invest
Cons: Poor investigation policy.
with some exceptions, great company to work for. some of the long term employees deserve better opportunities in the advancing field.
Stressful work environment
IT (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Short breaks
The work environment wasn't diverse and ethical. Some of the co workers were very helpful with years of work experience. The hardest part about the job were the work hours. The executive level associates lacked ambition and diversity.
A great company to work for and they treat people well.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Round Rock, TXMarch 26, 2015
The company is great to the employees. The pay and benefits are competitive. The work environment is relaxed but productive.
Enjoyed the work, did not like the lead man
Production Worker (Former Employee), Chandler, AZMarch 18, 2015
Pros: great benefits, decent pay, good co-workers, good advancement possibilities
Cons: no breaks, bad lead guy
The work was awesome and the guys were great except the lead man. He was a micro-manager that puts everyone down daily instead of giving word of encouragement. Everyone else was great! The plant manager and his right hand guy are awesome too. Couldn't handle the lead man. That was the only reason I left.
Worst management ever
GM (Current Employee), CaliforniaMarch 16, 2015
CANNOT EFFECTIVLEY MAKE CHANGE BY COMITE ITS THE OLD SCHOOL ATTITUDE OF COVET WORK AND DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO. I COULD NOT STANF THE CEO AND VP OF ENGINEERING.
Headquarters