Oldcastle Employee Reviews in United States

Don't do it!
N/A (Former Employee) –  HQFebruary 29, 2016
As a former HQ employee, reporting to a C Level exec, I was able to truly understand the "real" culture at Oldcastle Materials, which is not positive. Many times I witnessed unprofessional, hypocritical and callous behavior from the execs.

Their TO is very high because they overwork, underpay and don't respect their employees.

This is not a company I would ever consider working for again, nor would I recommend it to anyone I care about.
Pros
If you're dishonest, it would be great. They have VERY few written policies and procedures and all are made to be broken.
Cons
Unethical management, lack of pay for performance, unrealistic time requirements
hard work, high risk
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Crofton, MDMarch 16, 2016
NO advancement,no job security. you can get laid off or terminated at any time with no reason :"we don't need many people at this time, today is your last day"
10 hours work a day with no break.
your supervisor will set you up, if you trying to show him you know more than him.
there is no life, no advancement,no real training.
this job is good for someone who is looking for a pay check.
the plant manager will talk about safety every Thursday and make workers sign some form just to cover himself in case someone get an accident on the job .
i don't recommend this company for some one who is looking for a stable life.
Pros
make your pay check
Cons
no job security, they will use you as much as they can.
Productive but fun workplace with good management.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Weston, WINovember 22, 2015
This is easily my favorite job, and a very good employer. At this particular location we didn't have people breathing down our necks, so to speak, and had time to figure things out on our own or from our crew. It was a little hard to balance a personal life with the hours, but I learned a lot here. Management was very relaxed. However, the job did require us to work fast, especially during the construction season. I'd say that's the hardest part if you factor in the heat during the summer, but it is very rewarding and has good benefits. This company values cross-training so you will learn many departments and be able to get a lot of overtime if you ask for extra training or volunteer to work on a Saturday in another department.
Pros
Overtime, good benefits, good management, decent pay, A company catalog where you can pick out clothes.
Cons
Short brakes, very hot summers
Won't recommend work here unless your a felon
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILJanuary 27, 2016
If you want to come and go it the place and never get a raise and work hard a get paid very little work here. Crappie place to work.
Cons
Not a place for the long haul
Welder/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAApril 6, 2016
If in need of a job just for a 1 or 2 even 3 is ok but don't make it a career. Management sucks the lead man are jerks and treat you like you ain't nothing! They treat the workers like they care but you'll be replaced real quick!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Too much
Mediocre dead end job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARFebruary 16, 2016
Let me stress that this company is all take and very, very little give.

I have worked in several different positions for this company. I am always trying to find things to do to help out and I still make the same terrible hourly wage that I started with. I have been working for this company for over five months now through a temp agency and when I asked about getting rolled over to three different members of management I was told "I don't know" by all three.

Unless you work inside all day on a bagging line that requires you to stick your hands into a running machine, you will spend a lot of time in the rain and snow. You can also expect to lift bags of mulch, soil or rocks that weigh from 40 to 90 ibs nearly every day. Of course the company doesn't give you back braces.

Then there's the leadership team. I never thought I would stumble across a leadership team more incapable of getting anything done than the folks that run Walmart, but here you have it. These guys will blow off complaints, safety concerns, essential tools and other reasonable problems that I have raised. On the other hand they have no problem reprimanding you each and everytime a mistake it made.

The worst thing about this job is the compensation. I'm right below the plant manager and maintenance guys at 10 dollars an hour. There are people that have worked at this plant for over twenty years that make less than what I do at my few months of time here. It's unbelievable.

In short; AVOID THIS PLACE. You're better off flipping burgers or finding a real job.
Pros
Experience, a paycheck, free shirts
Cons
Pay, management, unreasonable expectations, dangerous, working in inclimate weather
Productive fast paced workplace, not a lot of time off offered.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Davenport, FLMarch 5, 2016
Old Castle was a nice place to work if you were looking to work 70-80 hour weeks with minimal time off. There is no scheduling and management would tell you the day before if you were working or not the next day. Did not take care of their employees and only looked to achieve maximum production without regard of their employees personal lives.
Pros
Ability to work every day until whatever hour, much over time.
Cons
Expected to work 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts.
Poor management No respect for the worker
Delivery Boy (Current Employee) –  South Bethlehem, NYOctober 13, 2015
The plant is currently plagued with multiple managers that have no or very little knowledge of the products we produce. Failing equipment causes breakdowns, with constant 12+ hour days including Saturdays. Unwilling to give pay raising based on performance, stick with the minimum required per union standards (currently poor union so very low average pay) no matter the level of accomplishment, work ethic or skill. Very few upside to this plant other than decent health insurance and decent benefits for most of the none union workers. Also poor at maintaining a full staff when issues occur. Plant manager has poor knowledge and skills of our products and frequently makes bad choices that are often followed by the people he hired to replace the various other managers that took over upon retirement. Often managers look for scapegoats in other departments to distract from there own short comings.
Pros
Some free lunches were provided, although rarely
Cons
short breaks, health care, hours, pay, management, equipment
Quick summery of Oldcastle Preccast
Manager was Elliott Taylor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, North CarolinaAugust 19, 2015
My job at Old Castle was enjoyable because we were pushed to make production which helped the day move quickly. I was able to learn several different jobs while working there..
While there, management changed hands twice. Each manager had their own expectations which created some confusion at first but was good in the long run.
My coworkers were of all ethnicity which was interesting. We were able to bond on, as well as off the job in a informal setting.
Hardest part of the job was during peak times we were expected to work 60 plus hours. This left little down time to rest and unwind.
I enjoyed learning Quality Control the most. I took pride in what I did and the product we produced.
Pros
Salary, Benefits and Opportunities
Cons
Sixty Plus Hours A Week
Laid back place to work
Fabrication Operator (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKJanuary 8, 2016
Show up and get organized by moving racks around and finding all of the days work. Cut and fab glass according to fab prints.
I learned how to work independently without a supervisor hovering near by.
The management was almost never seen outside the front office.
The hardest part of the job was working without direction. No one would ever say what needed done or in the order it needed to be done in, so everyday was and uncertainty.
fast paced and potentially dangerous work.
Lead/Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZ 85225June 24, 2016
10 to 13 hr work days on average, but some slow periods. learned about safety on the job site and the importance of working as a team. also producing a quality product safely and efficiently.
co workers were good, some of them were complacent, but over all it was a god crew. hardest part of the job was the heat being that I was working in AZ. most enjoyable part of the job was building a quality product and the pride that came from doing that the right way.
Pros
good hours
Cons
long days can start to wear on you.
Nice People
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Oldcastle is a very large company. Everyday is the same, everyone has set responsibilities. It is a good job for someone that is not looking to move into management.
Great place to work!
Shipping Manager/Scheduling Manager/Epicor Team (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 24, 2016
great company to work for, great benefits. everyone is very friendly and helpful as well. Relaxed atmosphere, while still being busy!
Great place to work.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNFebruary 1, 2016
Great place to work, Steady hours, great overtime pay.usually 8-12 hour a day. Friendly employees. Understanding management staff.
Could be a lot better
PM (Current Employee) –  Telford, PAJuly 28, 2015
This particular division of the company seems to be struggling. They need to get back to basics and develop a structure that will help the business compete with the more highly competitive environment we are now in. I was promoted to PM but never formally given the title or a corresponding raise. I was given no training on standard procedures. I was handed a project in catastrophic condition and some additional projects that were very poorly budgeted. These projects were remote to the office location so I turned out to be an island. This forced me to learn the few standard procedures by trial and error. Often learning that there was certain documentation for specific standard industry practices after completing the practice or searching for standard documents and finding out there isn't one an that I would have to make my own. My biggest hang up is the pay. They are at the very low end of salaries for PMs. They do offer bonuses but they only turn out well if you have a well budgeted project. In my case, bonuses weren't in the cards. Without bonuses and being on a 55k salary... its just not worth it. I can see how this position could be better and worth the effort if I were given projects that had an opportunity to succeed but there are always trouble projects that need to be handled and I was given those. It could have also been better for me if Management, given that they knew the status of the projects, would consider that when assessing my performance and compensation. Perhaps they could change my title to turn around manager.
Pros
Keep travel rewards
Cons
no organization, very low base pay
Hard labor work but with good coworkers who make days go by faster
Labor Worker (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 23, 2016
Gets tough when there are days that we don't have enough hours because the weather isn't sufficient for us to finish our job. Heavy lifting and great co workers. Small company, so there's never anyone laid off.
Terrible place to work if u enjoy being with ur family
Operator (Former Employee) –  Terrell,TXMay 27, 2016
It's not a career job. Company is disorganized. Management doesn't know half of what takes place out on the floor as will as they play favouritism.
Pros
Co-workers decent benefits
Cons
Deadend job unless u know someone
Fun place to work.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMay 4, 2016
Very fast pace, I have how to temper glass, how to cut glass and how to fabercate glass. The co-workers are the greatest team I have ever worked with. The hardest part was learning how to do the job. Just able to do my job was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Company in constant growth for competitive advantage
Div. Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 10, 2015
A great opportunity to learn many new skills and knowledge in an environment of change. Opportunity for continued skill and knowledge advancement through training programs and opportunities. Great culture.
good place
full time employee (Current Employee) –  Napoleon ohJune 5, 2015
Good job work hard and you get rewards. Fast paced demanding job. Safety is a must and promoted from the top down. Respectful and helpful coworkers if you need help someone will come and show you new ways to make your job easier
Pros
job security benefits
Cons
fast pace physical

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8