Oldcastle Employee Reviews

Great wages but difficult product marketplace
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJanuary 20, 2017
Typical day of work includes much physical activity including some heavy lifting, hand-tools or machines. I learned how buildings are constructed from the ground up. Management was located in another state. Workplace culture revolved around safety and looking out for each other. Hardest part of the job was out-of-town jobs and working in adverse weather. Ironically, I enjoyed traveling and seeing new places.
Supportive management, but . . .
Lead (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Keep in mind that it takes a specific person to enjoy and excel in the manufacturing environment. The minimum workday is 12 hours and can often be as much as 15, plus weekends. Management are personable and flexible, this is the best thing going for the company. Many of the employees are native Spanish speakers and know enough English to get by, though not enough to have a conversation. Most of the employees are very friendly and willing to help you out.
Cons
Long hours, pay, training, the workload.
fork lift
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Shady Dale, GAJanuary 10, 2017
typical day running machines working on machines and the coworkers where like family. pulling orders and getting everything ready for the next shift
Drastic changes have been made. No longer a great place to work.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  SoutheastJanuary 8, 2017
I have been an employee of Oldcastle for close to a decade. I always figured i would have a long term career here. My outlook has changed. Lately the retail team sales reps have had to endure restructuring, management changes, demotion of titles, 11% pay cuts and total dishonesty. ....during a time when sales are up. It is obvious that the company is trying to get older higher salaried employees to quit so tgey can replace them with lower paid empliyees. I have completely lost faith in the integrity of this company.
Stimulating and friendly work environment with opportunity for growth.
Temporary Glass Tempering Oven Unloader (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJanuary 2, 2017
Great place to gain experience in a manufacturing environment. Plenty of overtime. Good benefits for those chosen as full time employees. Good opportunities for advancement.
Great people, good culture, stable, flexible schedule
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 30, 2016
Good company, profitable, values employees. Sometimes too many moving parts but that's with any organization. Learned a lot of soft skills and the PMO is on the right track for learning and improving project management.
Pros
People
Lots of hours
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDDecember 27, 2016
Stay off your cell phone do your job and everything will be fine. Multiple shifts many hours if your into that kind of stuff I was working so much I never had time to spend my money
Pros
Lots of money to make
Cons
Management isn't very forgiving the will terminate like it's nothing to them
Stable at first
Forklift driver loading and unloading trucks (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WI 53051December 14, 2016
Thae job was stable at first then they began to lay me off which they told me would not happen so I had to look for another position.
Awful, stay away
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALDecember 14, 2016
I don't have time to list the complaints I have about this place. I will stick with the main ones. It is loud, dirty, the employees are equally so, management is only concerned with numbers and they preach safety, but never toss it to the side if you are getting pressed for time and you always are.
Pros
They will take anyone
Cons
Everything else you can think of
Management needs help.
QUALITY CONTROL COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GADecember 6, 2016
The production crew are a bunch of guys who really like what they do and are eager to learn, however management especially upper management are clueless and repeatedly kills the momentum and the moral of the plant. The hardest part is the ever changing bar when it comes to expectations. If they had a real plant guy in charge and not just a numbers person moral would be better. They see everyone as just a number. Nepotism at work at this place.
Pros
hours
Cons
management will NOT back you up.
we were productive and had to be serious at what we did.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Newport, MIDecember 5, 2016
a typical day at work was working long hours.every day was a learning process.worked well with management and coworkers.the hardest part of the job was when we had a breakdown.
Dis like the in your face supervisors
Paver (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 21, 2016
Great place to work but one co worker made racist comments great health insurance and retirement plan pay was a little off . Outdoor work not much room for advancement
Pros
Healthcare benefits
It is what you make it.
Department Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 20, 2016
This is a company that is solely conceres with the bottom line. They pay their employees just enough to keep them, but could afford to pay more. Management cares more about the bottom line than the well beings of their employees.
Pros
Company stability
Cons
Poor leadership, bad hours, low wages..
Good company. This location has management issues. They do not know how to reward good workers.
Tempering Oven Operator (Former Employee) –  Wright City, MONovember 20, 2016
Very hot environment. I learned a lot about heat treating glass. It seemed to me that I was punished for being a hard worker. They made their good workers work more O.T., and do more of the work, instead of rewarding them by giving them choices of what to do. I enjoyed the challenge of producing quality glass.
underpaid and overworked
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GANovember 14, 2016
I made $3 less then the average maint. tech and I was expected to pick up the slack for people who had quit or just did not show up. the turn over rate is unbelievable high for a company in general. however I stuck it out and i was rewarded after two years with a cost of living raise that was no where near close to what I was told multiple times. I was lied to by management over and over.
Pros
the knowledge you gain
Cons
to long to list.
Kind of a scary and stressful place to work!
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Battle Ground, WANovember 14, 2016
Well...first thing you do after being hired is you are required to have a meeting with the safety coordinator which lasts about an hour. You watch a few safety videos then you listen to him tell a few horror stories of people who have been injured while working at Oldcastle.

So a typical day at Oldcastle would consist of first putting on all your safety gear you were required to wear. which included a hard hat, safety glasses, ear plugs, safety shirt, safety smock, and steel toed boots. In the hot summer months it was extremely uncomfortable wearing all that gear!

I learned that the glass industry can be pretty dangerous, they had a few injuries while I was there and it wasn't pretty!!!

As far as the management and supervisor goes...I felt like they were strangers. I felt like they just kind of ignored you unless you were a production lead person...not very employee friendly company at all!!!
I felt like a number and not a person!

The hardest part of the job was having to lift 200+ lbs. pieces of glass!

There was no enjoyable part about working at Oldcastle Building Envelope...probably one of the worst jobs I have ever had!
Producitive
Transportation manger (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 10, 2016
Great company and co/workers with good benefits and 401K. Oldcastle is the largest aggregate producer in North America with a lot of room to grow they look to promote from with in the company
Fork lift operator machine operator
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheffield Lake, OHNovember 7, 2016
I ran a fork lift i also ran multiple maxhines, i fixed the machines that would break down including fork lifts. It is a skeleton crew so everyone pulls the weight of four guys everyday. The days are long i worked from 430 am to around midnight everyday.
Do More with Less
Administration (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 4, 2016
I have only worked for one company within the Oldcastle structure. But this company in Rochester NY can be a challenge. Their willingness to listen to employees is very limited. The Upper Management is known as "moody" and "tight-fisted." There has been too many jobs eliminated with the work load carried by administrative positions. In the field and at facilities there seems to be a struggle within some lines of the business to employ enough people. I think for many managers the intent is fair and good, but their hands are tied and resources VERY limited.

Most people within the company like their jobs but frustration sometimes is too prevelant.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lacking in time off, management structure
Great Previous Staff
Warehouse Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Conley, GANovember 1, 2016
Regional management was not the best, they made a very disturbing decision after we worked extremely hard to get the warehouse YEAR award they came in with BS excuses and dismissed the management team in which I was apart of claiming restructuring the company. I enjoyed working for my supervisor who was located in Lawrenceville and a very compassionate and understanding woman with integrity with a heart. I was located at the Conley warehouse which was close to home, great benefits and a decent pay. I was hoping for longevity with Oldcastle but the regional manager and a certain HR rep had plans for friends to get employed. Otherwise the remaining workers and staff were awesome and if I had the opportunity I would definitely go back with the old staff.
Pros
Work from home, Assist with Major Accounts
Cons
Higher Management Staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8