Oldcastle Employee Reviews

No flexibility or Loyalty
SBZ(CNC)programmer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 1, 2013
Having over 20 year experience in storefront manufacturing, I must say this company shows no personal regard for hourly employees. Over the last 7 years, I have earned 32 cents per hour in raises.
I can never plan anything near the end of the month as management never commits to doing monthly inventories during regular business hours. In fact it could start as late as 5pm Friday night, or be made mandatory on Saturday without any previous warning.
Corporate policies regard racial, sexual, religious and bullying comments, as totally unacceptable, but in this warehouse no such rules are enforced. Managers bully and belittle hourly, and salaried employees with harsh pointed jokes, and public ridicule.
Managers threaten to fire employees 'on the spot' for not wearing all the protective equipment required, but do not feel compelled to abide by the rules themselves.
Hours worked vary daily without any warning. Morning start times can change weekly, or daily with little or no warning. Taking a sick day, or time off for personal reasons is not allowed without a physical note from a Doctor every time. Two weeks notice is required for all non-emergence appointments, procedures and other activities. The time clock is monitored by corporate executives at CRH in Ireland, meaning be prompt always, and don't plan on any leeway if real problems come up, like a car issue, plumbing leak emergency at home, or kids need a ride to school. 3 strikes you're out, (haven't seen that happen yet though)
I won't say much else other than this. Any manufacturing company that can not adequately keep the minimum
  more... needed materials, and hardware in supply regularly, will fail absolutely. Customers are going elsewhere.  less
Pros
good benefits, relatively clean work space
Cons
disrespecting and devaluing employees is the norm
No Future Here
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasDecember 10, 2012
Where do i began whoever post something POSITIVE about this company must be a Manger because there the only one making money and getting raises and bonus money every quarter. They only seem to care about getting out material it went from 8 hours to 9 now up to 10+ while people in the office gets off at 5p.m drivers are still out in traffic. I was pulled over and got a ticket for no EDGE Protectors and was told by management that i quote " Oh um I have to get some lawyer number keep reminding me everyday I'm like wow really i ended up paying a 270$ ticket for no reason because we were out of edges and if id take couple pallets off id get written up.
Its a lot of dirty things that go on at OC its pretty much our way or the highway no raises going on 4 years I'm glad i got out of dodge and moved on to more money and better management you have people that wants to know your every delivery even if you go to Mississippi and make it back to Houston the same day and if its a load in there you pressured to take it. I'll never want to haul another Rock for Custom Stone Supply. Never enjoyed a day at that place management sucks co-workers are a patch of Yes Men. Dispatchers sit on there butt and talk over walkie talkies wont walk out next to the door n pull a box of wall ties, I'm done i can write a book about this dead end job.
Could be a lot better
PM (Current Employee) –  Telford, PAJuly 28, 2015
This particular division of the company seems to be struggling. They need to get back to basics and develop a structure that will help the business compete with the more highly competitive environment we are now in. I was promoted to PM but never formally given the title or a corresponding raise. I was given no training on standard procedures. I was handed a project in catastrophic condition and some additional projects that were very poorly budgeted. These projects were remote to the office location so I turned out to be an island. This forced me to learn the few standard procedures by trial and error. Often learning that there was certain documentation for specific standard industry practices after completing the practice or searching for standard documents and finding out there isn't one an that I would have to make my own. My biggest hang up is the pay. They are at the very low end of salaries for PMs. They do offer bonuses but they only turn out well if you have a well budgeted project. In my case, bonuses weren't in the cards. Without bonuses and being on a 55k salary... its just not worth it. I can see how this position could be better and worth the effort if I were given projects that had an opportunity to succeed but there are always trouble projects that need to be handled and I was given those. It could have also been better for me if Management, given that they knew the status of the projects, would consider that when assessing my performance and compensation. Perhaps they could change my title to turn around manager.
Pros
Keep travel rewards
Cons
no organization, very low base pay
Felt like a postal worker in the 90's
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 28, 2011
Oldcastle was not the best experience for me. My daily operations included answering phones, listening to people complain, and making a ticket about it. The worst part was telling the clients that a tech would call them back in about 15-45 minutes. That in my opinion is poor customer service, even if it is an internal help desk. Manager had good intentions, but assistant manager failed to carry those out. Missed out on a lot of training. Even though it was a 5 week externship, I felt like I was being punished a little just for being an intern. For example, when meetings were held, us externs were excluded due to the fact that we were leaving in a couple of weeks anyway. Even though I never expected or received compensation, I asked the manager at the end of the externship how much he starts his help desk analysts at. He replied $12-$13 an hour. Which to me is extremely low for the workload the employees have to deal with. A 50,000 employee company with 1 helpdesk with about 8-12 employees running it. I would have expected the pay to be slightly higher due to high volume. I'm glad it was only a 5 week externship and am very thankful for my current position.
Pros
seemed like no expierence was required
Cons
listen to complaints all day long, phones never stop ringing, management listens and monitors all conversations, schedule is 8-5p so traffic is a nightmare, minimal training received

Comment – May 24, 2012

ONE OF THE WORSE COMPANIES TO WORK FOR, IT WAS A GREAT COMPANY BEFORE THEY PUT NEW MANAGEMENT IN PLACE SEVERAL YEARS AGO. COMPANY DOESNT CARE ABOUT ITS EMPLOYEES, MANAGEMENT IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE BONUS PROGRAMS, WORKABEES ARE USED AND TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF . THEY HAVE BEEN SUED NUMEROUS TIMES BUY THEIR EMPLOYEES. NO LOYALTIES. THEY TALK A GOOD GAME BUT TREAT STAFF HORRIFIC. IT IS ONLY ABOUT THE SHAREHOLDERS AND UPPER MANAGEMENT. CLICK CENTRAL...WORSE OF IT IS THE COMPANY IS OWNED BY ANOTHER COMPANY IN DUBLIN IRELAND, CALLED CRH AND THEY COME OVER HERE AND HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY COMPANY TREATS STAFF AND CUSTOMERS. CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR FIFTY PLUS YEARS IN MANY CASES. STAY AWAY FROM THEM IF YOU VALUE YOUR HAPPINESS.

Company is a nightmare to work for
Sales (Former Employee) –  ClevelandMarch 15, 2013
If anyone is considering a job with this company. Don't be fooled....management is a joke. They have no clue of employee relations. If your a woman the place is a glass ceiling. They treat their employees like second class citizens. Its a very dysfunctional and negative environment. Management has no integrity and all the employees are unhappy and stressed out. Everyone is constantly covering their backs by communicating mostly in emails. A coworker sitting right next to you won't communicate anything verbally only through emails.. Email count is horrendous, its a whole another job in itself to manage emails. Their software operating systems are completely broken, management and higher up corporate officials won't address it. Senior management is out of touch with the day to operations. They never correct problems but instead just put band aids on them which in turn makes things worse. It appeared management are in over their heads and operate in a reactive manner than proactive manner.
Unless you want to feel miserable everyday and end up on medication to cope with the high stress level then don't work here. They will use you and abuse you till your completely burnout. There is absolutely nothing positive to say about the company.
Pros
health insurance and 401k
Cons
everything..too many to list
Rewarding working environment.
Truck Loader (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, OKJuly 11, 2013
On a normal day we go in, review the paperwork, plan what to do then work hard to get it done on time.
In the year that I've been working at OldCastle I've learned a better work ethic for myself. That's the main point. I try to be a valuable asset to the company as much as possible. As for skills that I could use else where, I can drive a yard dog, and back in trailers into bays, and I can work under pressure.
The management, or "the wigs" as we call them are very good at what they do. As for the floor supervisors, they are the supervisors for a reason. They are great at their jobs.
Just like any other job, we have quarrels. Some aren't that important and some are. Although, even though we get into arguments sometimes, we are still able to get our job done right and work as a team.
The hardest part of the job would probably be the time limits. We go into work at 7pm and 2 days out of the week, we have a truck that has to be out the door by midnight. This truck is usually close to 400 pieces which is sometimes half of our entire night. It's stressful sometimes, but like I said, it's rewarding when we do our jobs well.
The part of the job that I like the most is that it doesn't feel like a job. Everyone who works on the floor are friends with each other and we always find a way to make ourselves, or each other, laugh. It's a fun job.
Unfair treatment of new employees
material handler (Former Employee) –  Wright City, MOMay 21, 2014
Let me start by saying, I loved this job. I loved the pay, the benefits, and the work itself. I was happy with it and hoped to stay, possibly for the rest of my life. Yet, I was forced to work side by side with a convicted chomo, who must have caught on to the fact that I was uncomfortable around him. I never treated him any different than my other co-workers, and yet after I was suddenly fired for reasons that didn't add up, I heard through the grapevine that he was responsible for it. The bottom line is: I passed all the tests they gave me with flying colors, I never received even ONE write-up, and I was relocated to an even more dangerous area of the factory just one day before they let me go for "not catching on quick enough" and "not caring about safety". If these reasons were true, why did everyone on the floor tell me I was learning quickly, and why did they trust me with an even more dangerous part of the job right before this? Because the reasons they gave for firing me were all lies. What really happened is that ONE guy who is good friends with the boss decided he didn't want me there, because he's insecure about his own past and what he did to his own daughter. DO NOT apply here. There's no job security. I'm devastated.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
fired for no reason
Great Job for Single Folk!
Lead Operator/Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Terrell, TXFebruary 21, 2014
Oldcastle has good supervisors, lots of good people, and can be a great place to work. I have become proficient with many types of machinery and hand tools I hadn't used previously, and plan to take that with me to my next job.

They offer a much higher rate of starting pay than most companies of the same experience level (you are required to have almost none when hired) and their benefits package is top of the line.

Unfortunately, in the construction and manufacturing environment, the biggest issue is often times job security. When a big job ends, there are usually layoffs until another big one is picked up. That's just how corporations operate.

The job offers plenty of hours, so the overtime is good if you are looking to make money, but it does eat considerably into family time, so that is something to consider. The schedule changes often as well.

It's a great place to start out getting your feet wet in the industry and learning some valuable skills, but I see it as a difficult place to make a long career if you are starting now.
Pros
high pay compared to other companies, great benefits, good supervisors, good crew..
Cons
uncertainty in job security, changing schedule, long hours, physically strenuous.
The americas arm of irish company
Executive Assistant for the CEO North America (Former Employee) –  DALLAS TEXAS & ATLANTA GAFebruary 11, 2014
Project & executive assistant. Most diverse role ever held. Compare raw material pricing & compare with competition final production; office manager; built national vendor policies relationalship resulting in cost savings of $38.2M over first 3 years of program.

Management: the ceo of north america: joined company as vp finance for manufacturing arm; moved to product president and became ceo of north america. He had a personal investment in the success of his people and the corporation. Expected a lot of himself; therefore, expected a lot from his people. Ethical; no compromise; respectful; outstanding.

Co-workers: knew they could be successful and were compensated for high performance. Management had personal investment - co-workers had personal investment.

Hardest part of job: relocating to atlanta ga

Most enjoyable part of the job: education through on-the-job training. Encouraged to think outside the box regarding cost savings for organization. 14 Years with one organization. Interacting with all levels of the company - from the production floor to the board room.
Pros
worked hard, played hard, watching a company grow & being part of it - both lean and bountiful years!
Cons
leaving the company when ceo promoted to europe
Poor management No respect for the worker
Delivery Boy (Current Employee) –  South Bethlehem, NYOctober 13, 2015
The plant is currently plagued with multiple managers that have no or very little knowledge of the products we produce. Failing equipment causes breakdowns, with constant 12+ hour days including Saturdays. Unwilling to give pay raising based on performance, stick with the minimum required per union standards (currently poor union so very low average pay) no matter the level of accomplishment, work ethic or skill. Very few upside to this plant other than decent health insurance and decent benefits for most of the none union workers. Also poor at maintaining a full staff when issues occur. Plant manager has poor knowledge and skills of our products and frequently makes bad choices that are often followed by the people he hired to replace the various other managers that took over upon retirement. Often managers look for scapegoats in other departments to distract from there own short comings.
Pros
Some free lunches were provided, although rarely
Cons
short breaks, health care, hours, pay, management, equipment
terrible, terrible, terrible
Production manager then night shift foreman (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZ then North Salt Lake, UTJanuary 25, 2014
Very poorly managed. Very unsafe work environment, unless there is a need for more product then no safety at all. I would get called on Saturday morning and would be told we are having a meeting in Tucson and I needed to be there, I was on vacation and out of state, didn't matter I had to come back early...lol no! Young Block Co. in Arizona was very, very poor. Everyone was cut throat to get advanced higher. So I transferred to Amcor Masonry Products in North Salt lake, Ut. This plant was an absolute joke. No maintenance and always breaking down, then get yelled at because production goal wasn't met. Day time machine operator constantly sabotaged equipment. Gave up a 5 year career with oldcastle APG and found another job.
Pros
decent pay, but the company owned you and you were at their beckon call
Cons
everything else especially the co-workers
No way anyone should take a job here
Glass sort (Current Employee) –  Covington, GaFebruary 23, 2015
There are many issues with this company. Let's start with the break schedule or lack thereof. It's a 12 hour schedule but employees only get a 30 minute break. You can bring it up but the company response is "you can take a bathroom break". The company is also very disorganized as far as inventory goes. An employee can look for a piece of equipment for at least an hour and not be able to find it. The best case scenario is that you have to move several pieces of glass to get something and then have to move it back. Lastly the employee in charge of safety for the facility leaves a lot to be desired. The day of orientation, he was upset the forms weren't stapled together and neglected to give the new hires a safety tour of the plant. He just showed us where to enter the plant, where to punch it and told us to leave. Overall, it was like he didn't want to be bothered. Steer clear of Oldcastle in Covington
Pros
plenty of hours
Cons
no breaks, poor inventory practices
Productive but fun workplace with good management.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Weston, WINovember 22, 2015
This is easily my favorite job, and a very good employer. At this particular location we didn't have people breathing down our necks, so to speak, and had time to figure things out on our own or from our crew. It was a little hard to balance a personal life with the hours, but I learned a lot here. Management was very relaxed. However, the job did require us to work fast, especially during the construction season. I'd say that's the hardest part if you factor in the heat during the summer, but it is very rewarding and has good benefits. This company values cross-training so you will learn many departments and be able to get a lot of overtime if you ask for extra training or volunteer to work on a Saturday in another department.
Pros
Overtime, good benefits, good management, decent pay, A company catalog where you can pick out clothes.
Cons
Short brakes, very hot summers
Don't waste your time
material handler (Former Employee) –  Wright City, MOJune 25, 2014
Thought this job would finally provide me with the wage and insurance I needed. I was very excited to have it. I worked hard, passed all four tests they gave me, and still I was let go after 60 days because a co-worker who has been there longer simply didn't like me. That's all it took. I did everything in my power to get along well with co-workers and to learn all the skills required and more, hoping to advance, and in the end, the way this company works is that it's a buddy-buddy relationship between certain management members and team members, and ultimately within the 90 day probation period they can terminate you for ANY reason. Even if the reason is not fair and has nothing to do with how good of a worker you are. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
no security
Fast paced production invironment.
Plant Forman (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJune 4, 2015
Wide open all the time! I learned most of my production skills and the operation of Block producing equipment in the first years of employment with no prier experience. I then started participating in maintenance which became second nature as fast as production did. I'd like to thank the Production Manager at that time for recognizing my natural talent and kicking me right in the middle of everything. My twelve years at this company evolved me into a major key player in the Block industry. Very rounded well oiled environment with all the training I wanted from some of the best production/maintenance team members I still to this day have ever seen. The hardest part of this job was the ridiculous amount of hours expected to work which left almost no time for a family. The best part of this job was being able to work hands on with equipment that I was already infatuated with as a teen and becoming very good at many skills needed to advance in the Block Plant industry.
Quick summery of Oldcastle Preccast
Manager was Elliott Taylor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, North CarolinaAugust 19, 2015
My job at Old Castle was enjoyable because we were pushed to make production which helped the day move quickly. I was able to learn several different jobs while working there..
While there, management changed hands twice. Each manager had their own expectations which created some confusion at first but was good in the long run.
My coworkers were of all ethnicity which was interesting. We were able to bond on, as well as off the job in a informal setting.
Hardest part of the job was during peak times we were expected to work 60 plus hours. This left little down time to rest and unwind.
I enjoyed learning Quality Control the most. I took pride in what I did and the product we produced.
Pros
Salary, Benefits and Opportunities
Cons
Sixty Plus Hours A Week
Great benefits were given but overall the work conditions were not the best. Pessimistic coworkers, poor management.
Laborer Full Time (Former Employee) –  Telford, PADecember 1, 2014
You would clock in anywhere between 4 and 8 in the morning with no guarantee of when you would leave. Learning the ins and outs of the company was something you had to pick up for yourself as the training and management of daily functions was minimal at best. unrealistic demands were place on how quickly specific tasks were finished and punishment was met out when you could not perform in these guidelines. however no matter how hard you tried to do the job no management would ever comment on how much the saw you trying only that you had failed. Training was minimal at best and constant risk of getting limbs cut up daily on re-bar and mesh cages.
Pros
great health benefits, comfortable uniforms
Cons
management, training, long hours too little pay
No reviews from L.A.
Tempering (Former Employee) –  Commerce, caAugust 12, 2015
First off i see there are no reviews for their Commerce, CA location. Lets start. 10-12 long hours of continuous back breaking heavy lifting. And about an hour 15mins total off ur feet. (One 30min three 15min breaks)Worked in the tempering dept. First aid boxes were locked, roof had leaks hot glass would burst from getting wet. EVERY ORDER IS OVER 75LBS AND YES YOU WILL END UP PICKING IT UP BY YOURSELF I'm 23 and messed my back up at this place i was commended for my savage work ethic but jumped ship when i realized this place is a trap. NEVER MENTIONED MANDATORY OVERTIME IN INTERVIEW AND I WAS A STUDENT.
Pros
Great moral
Cons
Back breaking work
Fast paced,alot of physical work,
Warehouse Labor (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJune 10, 2015
My job performs tasks involving physical labor in a glass making, cutting,shipping, and receiving warehouse. My position may operate a variety of hand and power tools and may clean and prepare the delivery so can be safely place in the freight truck. Assisting co worker when lifting heavy plates of glass. Placed heavy plates of glass on wooden carts strap down the glass.
-I learned how to used several tools ,such as, cranes, and how to stack wooden pallets.
-The supervisor(s) helped me ,with any concerns I had.
-All my fellow co workers showed positive attitudes.
-The hardest part of the job, had to be when a big order,has to be loaded.A variation of glass in all shapes,sizes, and you have to locate the glass.
Pros
great company, decent paid, room for advantagement
Cons
physical strain
a fun productive atmosphere with lots of growth potential
general labor/production (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, ALMay 2, 2012
my typical work day at oldcastle was a very fun fast paced environment begining with making sure machines were operating correctly with enough product. I learned a great deal about what it involves to create architectural products. I feel management made you feel like more than just an employee but more like a member of a winning team. co-workers were always a joy to be around and helped in other areas when needed. The hardest part of the job personally was ensuring that machines were operating at optimum levels of production. The most enjoyable part of working for oldcastle I would have to say is the rewarding feeling of knowing you create products that are greatly desired and fellow co-workers