Oldcastle Employee Reviews in United States

fast paced and potentially dangerous work.
Lead/Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZ 85225June 24, 2016
10 to 13 hr work days on average, but some slow periods. learned about safety on the job site and the importance of working as a team. also producing a quality product safely and efficiently.
co workers were good, some of them were complacent, but over all it was a god crew. hardest part of the job was the heat being that I was working in AZ. most enjoyable part of the job was building a quality product and the pride that came from doing that the right way.
Pros
good hours
Cons
long days can start to wear on you.
Terrible place to work if u enjoy being with ur family
Operator (Former Employee) –  Terrell,TXMay 27, 2016
It's not a career job. Company is disorganized. Management doesn't know half of what takes place out on the floor as will as they play favouritism.
Pros
Co-workers decent benefits
Cons
Deadend job unless u know someone
Fun place to work.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMay 4, 2016
Very fast pace, I have how to temper glass, how to cut glass and how to fabercate glass. The co-workers are the greatest team I have ever worked with. The hardest part was learning how to do the job. Just able to do my job was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Constant pace.Very friendly enviroment.
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 27, 2016
Clock in. Get all the appropriate tools and materials. Then assemble anything that comes down the line. package it up and take it to its assigned destination.
Pros
Fun, interesting work. Friendly enviroment
Cons
have to wear hard hats
Not a place for the long haul
Welder/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAApril 6, 2016
If in need of a job just for a 1 or 2 even 3 is ok but don't make it a career. Management sucks the lead man are jerks and treat you like you ain't nothing! They treat the workers like they care but you'll be replaced real quick!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Too much
hard work, high risk
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Crofton, MDMarch 16, 2016
NO advancement,no job security. you can get laid off or terminated at any time with no reason :"we don't need many people at this time, today is your last day"
10 hours work a day with no break.
your supervisor will set you up, if you trying to show him you know more than him.
there is no life, no advancement,no real training.
this job is good for someone who is looking for a pay check.
the plant manager will talk about safety every Thursday and make workers sign some form just to cover himself in case someone get an accident on the job .
i don't recommend this company for some one who is looking for a stable life.
Pros
make your pay check
Cons
no job security, they will use you as much as they can.
enjoyed the time of service with the company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Middle Tennesse and middle KentuckyMarch 16, 2016
I have been in the business for 25 years. I enjoyed all those I worked with from the company. I also appreciated working with the associates from the various stores I had in my territory.
Productive fast paced workplace, not a lot of time off offered.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Davenport, FLMarch 5, 2016
Old Castle was a nice place to work if you were looking to work 70-80 hour weeks with minimal time off. There is no scheduling and management would tell you the day before if you were working or not the next day. Did not take care of their employees and only looked to achieve maximum production without regard of their employees personal lives.
Pros
Ability to work every day until whatever hour, much over time.
Cons
Expected to work 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts.
Nice People
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Oldcastle is a very large company. Everyday is the same, everyone has set responsibilities. It is a good job for someone that is not looking to move into management.
Don't do it!
N/A (Former Employee) –  HQFebruary 29, 2016
As a former HQ employee, reporting to a C Level exec, I was able to truly understand the "real" culture at Oldcastle Materials, which is not positive. Many times I witnessed unprofessional, hypocritical and callous behavior from the execs.

Their TO is very high because they overwork, underpay and don't respect their employees.

This is not a company I would ever consider working for again, nor would I recommend it to anyone I care about.
Pros
If you're dishonest, it would be great. They have VERY few written policies and procedures and all are made to be broken.
Cons
Unethical management, lack of pay for performance, unrealistic time requirements

Want to know more about Oldcastle?

Ask a question
Great place to work!
Shipping Manager/Scheduling Manager/Epicor Team (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 24, 2016
great company to work for, great benefits. everyone is very friendly and helpful as well. Relaxed atmosphere, while still being busy!
Mediocre dead end job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARFebruary 16, 2016
Let me stress that this company is all take and very, very little give.

I have worked in several different positions for this company. I am always trying to find things to do to help out and I still make the same terrible hourly wage that I started with. I have been working for this company for over five months now through a temp agency and when I asked about getting rolled over to three different members of management I was told "I don't know" by all three.

Unless you work inside all day on a bagging line that requires you to stick your hands into a running machine, you will spend a lot of time in the rain and snow. You can also expect to lift bags of mulch, soil or rocks that weigh from 40 to 90 ibs nearly every day. Of course the company doesn't give you back braces.

Then there's the leadership team. I never thought I would stumble across a leadership team more incapable of getting anything done than the folks that run Walmart, but here you have it. These guys will blow off complaints, safety concerns, essential tools and other reasonable problems that I have raised. On the other hand they have no problem reprimanding you each and everytime a mistake it made.

The worst thing about this job is the compensation. I'm right below the plant manager and maintenance guys at 10 dollars an hour. There are people that have worked at this plant for over twenty years that make less than what I do at my few months of time here. It's unbelievable.

In short; AVOID THIS PLACE. You're better off flipping burgers or finding a real job.
Pros
Experience, a paycheck, free shirts
Cons
Pay, management, unreasonable expectations, dangerous, working in inclimate weather
Great place to work.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNFebruary 1, 2016
Great place to work, Steady hours, great overtime pay.usually 8-12 hour a day. Friendly employees. Understanding management staff.
Won't recommend work here unless your a felon
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILJanuary 27, 2016
If you want to come and go it the place and never get a raise and work hard a get paid very little work here. Crappie place to work.
Laid back place to work
Fabrication Operator (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKJanuary 8, 2016
Show up and get organized by moving racks around and finding all of the days work. Cut and fab glass according to fab prints.
I learned how to work independently without a supervisor hovering near by.
The management was almost never seen outside the front office.
The hardest part of the job was working without direction. No one would ever say what needed done or in the order it needed to be done in, so everyday was and uncertainty.
Great Work Place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 11, 2015
Everyday is a new challenge form working heavy equipment to working to lay out the job to driving the work trucks.U can always look forward to stay busy on a day to day basis.
Pros
Gret wages
Cons
Outdoor working Conditions
Productive but fun workplace with good management.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Weston, WINovember 22, 2015
This is easily my favorite job, and a very good employer. At this particular location we didn't have people breathing down our necks, so to speak, and had time to figure things out on our own or from our crew. It was a little hard to balance a personal life with the hours, but I learned a lot here. Management was very relaxed. However, the job did require us to work fast, especially during the construction season. I'd say that's the hardest part if you factor in the heat during the summer, but it is very rewarding and has good benefits. This company values cross-training so you will learn many departments and be able to get a lot of overtime if you ask for extra training or volunteer to work on a Saturday in another department.
Pros
Overtime, good benefits, good management, decent pay, A company catalog where you can pick out clothes.
Cons
Short brakes, very hot summers
Only 40 minutes from home, relaxed work enviroment even though face paced, it was enjoyable hard work
Lead Estimator (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDNovember 6, 2015
Fast paced work environment that gave me additional experience in "Relationship Selling". Small office with large warehouse. Enjoyed many co-workers. Learned several new computer programs I.E. CAD
Sales.Force, Surpass and many others. Learned how to manage a 20,000 square foot facility and the people that work in it.
Pros
Ten hour day that started early in the morning. Health Care Insurance, Loved the clientsa I efforted for everyday.
Cons
Lack of leadership. Had to wear steel toed boots.
hard work but they took care of me over all
labor (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDNovember 5, 2015
made good money I was happy there
till they cut back on jobs and let me go.
but if I had a chance to work for them again I would
made friends there I liked the hard work
long hours but the pay was good
Pros
good people
Cons
they let me go
Great place to work at
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 26, 2015
Great place to work at. Friendly management. Good employees to work with. There was a lot of variety in the duties I had. Good working conditions. They promote safety a lot.
Pros
everything