Oldcastle Employee Reviews

Management needs help.
QUALITY CONTROL COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GADecember 6, 2016
The production crew are a bunch of guys who really like what they do and are eager to learn, however management especially upper management are clueless and repeatedly kills the momentum and the moral of the plant. The hardest part is the ever changing bar when it comes to expectations. If they had a real plant guy in charge and not just a numbers person moral would be better. They see everyone as just a number. Nepotism at work at this place.
Pros
hours
Cons
management will NOT back you up.
we were productive and had to be serious at what we did.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Newport, MIDecember 5, 2016
a typical day at work was working long hours.every day was a learning process.worked well with management and coworkers.the hardest part of the job was when we had a breakdown.
Dis like the in your face supervisors
Paver (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 21, 2016
Great place to work but one co worker made racist comments great health insurance and retirement plan pay was a little off . Outdoor work not much room for advancement
Pros
Healthcare benefits
It is what you make it.
Department Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 20, 2016
This is a company that is solely conceres with the bottom line. They pay their employees just enough to keep them, but could afford to pay more. Management cares more about the bottom line than the well beings of their employees.
Pros
Company stability
Cons
Poor leadership, bad hours, low wages..
Good company. This location has management issues. They do not know how to reward good workers.
Tempering Oven Operator (Former Employee) –  Wright City, MONovember 20, 2016
Very hot environment. I learned a lot about heat treating glass. It seemed to me that I was punished for being a hard worker. They made their good workers work more O.T., and do more of the work, instead of rewarding them by giving them choices of what to do. I enjoyed the challenge of producing quality glass.
underpaid and overworked
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GANovember 14, 2016
I made $3 less then the average maint. tech and I was expected to pick up the slack for people who had quit or just did not show up. the turn over rate is unbelievable high for a company in general. however I stuck it out and i was rewarded after two years with a cost of living raise that was no where near close to what I was told multiple times. I was lied to by management over and over.
Pros
the knowledge you gain
Cons
to long to list.
Kind of a scary and stressful place to work!
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Battle Ground, WANovember 14, 2016
Well...first thing you do after being hired is you are required to have a meeting with the safety coordinator which lasts about an hour. You watch a few safety videos then you listen to him tell a few horror stories of people who have been injured while working at Oldcastle.

So a typical day at Oldcastle would consist of first putting on all your safety gear you were required to wear. which included a hard hat, safety glasses, ear plugs, safety shirt, safety smock, and steel toed boots. In the hot summer months it was extremely uncomfortable wearing all that gear!

I learned that the glass industry can be pretty dangerous, they had a few injuries while I was there and it wasn't pretty!!!

As far as the management and supervisor goes...I felt like they were strangers. I felt like they just kind of ignored you unless you were a production lead person...not very employee friendly company at all!!!
I felt like a number and not a person!

The hardest part of the job was having to lift 200+ lbs. pieces of glass!

There was no enjoyable part about working at Oldcastle Building Envelope...probably one of the worst jobs I have ever had!
Producitive
Transportation manger (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 10, 2016
Great company and co/workers with good benefits and 401K. Oldcastle is the largest aggregate producer in North America with a lot of room to grow they look to promote from with in the company
Fork lift operator machine operator
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheffield Lake, OHNovember 7, 2016
I ran a fork lift i also ran multiple maxhines, i fixed the machines that would break down including fork lifts. It is a skeleton crew so everyone pulls the weight of four guys everyday. The days are long i worked from 430 am to around midnight everyday.
Do More with Less
Administration (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 4, 2016
I have only worked for one company within the Oldcastle structure. But this company in Rochester NY can be a challenge. Their willingness to listen to employees is very limited. The Upper Management is known as "moody" and "tight-fisted." There has been too many jobs eliminated with the work load carried by administrative positions. In the field and at facilities there seems to be a struggle within some lines of the business to employ enough people. I think for many managers the intent is fair and good, but their hands are tied and resources VERY limited.

Most people within the company like their jobs but frustration sometimes is too prevelant.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lacking in time off, management structure
Great Previous Staff
Warehouse Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Conley, GANovember 1, 2016
Regional management was not the best, they made a very disturbing decision after we worked extremely hard to get the warehouse YEAR award they came in with BS excuses and dismissed the management team in which I was apart of claiming restructuring the company. I enjoyed working for my supervisor who was located in Lawrenceville and a very compassionate and understanding woman with integrity with a heart. I was located at the Conley warehouse which was close to home, great benefits and a decent pay. I was hoping for longevity with Oldcastle but the regional manager and a certain HR rep had plans for friends to get employed. Otherwise the remaining workers and staff were awesome and if I had the opportunity I would definitely go back with the old staff.
Pros
Work from home, Assist with Major Accounts
Cons
Higher Management Staff
It wasn't that fun it it it was stressful pain nobody got along with each other!
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GANovember 1, 2016
It was fun but they need a lot of help specially in management. A lot of things was out of order they wasn't organized everybody wanted to be the boss that's why I'm looking for a new job I was ready for something new I had my fun I got my training. I didn't feel safe everybody was drinking stealing stuff from the job taking drugs everything it wasn't a fun place that's the truth!
Pros
They suck!
Cons
Healthcare was bad
amazing employment
Instrument Person/Rodman (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLOctober 24, 2016
I worked in the field as a surveyor building highways, parking lots, setting pipe grades, bridges. Learned to use many kinds of surveying instruments and methods. Traveled in state alot. hard part of the job was sitting and waiting for the team I was on to be needed to check for grades and mistakes.
Poor management, prices not competitive
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 21, 2016
I worked for this company and was let go without reason in less than 90 days. I was in sales, however hard to sell when your prices are always higher than the competition and reports, etc. come before the customer.
Pros
Phone, good benefits
Cons
Have to provide your own vehicle
very physical and productive job but also very safety orientated
Production Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 21, 2016
I worked at old castle for about a year.. it took time for my body to get used to the physical demand but like any job you do your body gets used to it. Every day is a race to finish the schedule and since you are working with concrete you can't stop until you finish. I have to say that old castle is a good place to work but I was unlucky enough to have a team leader that made my last months working there very miserable. But the job itself in my opinion is good
Pros
long breaks
Cons
fast paced
Poor management & stab in the back co-workers.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTOctober 17, 2016
Worked at Allied for several yrs. Company's expectations are ridiculous. They overload you with work & management constantly lies to you. A lot of brown nosing & co-workers are like the Gastapo, making up lies & then telling management to further their own position in the company. Not to mention a lot of unsafe work habits. Allowing animals in the workplace is just one of many examples. Benefits are ok.
Pros
Benefits are ok.
Cons
Unsafe work environment, poor management.
Don't recommend for anyone
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IAOctober 16, 2016
Management changed when worked there. It went from great to horrible over night. After management changed they downsized significantly and was not easy at all to get along with. Typically worked 10-16 hours a day and sometimes 24-36 hours straight. Management expected you to work those hours and never wanted to pay for hours worked, there were times I had to change hours to suit them.
Pros
Company vehicle and phone
Cons
Time, Money, Energy, Management
Great co-workers, management clueless
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 4, 2016
Love the people I work with. Love the work itself. Love the business. The IT senior management could not pour water out of a boot with the directions on the bottom.

They constantly jump into projects, talk directly to developers without working through the management team (lead devs, project managers etc).

They constantly re-prioritize, play political games trying to screw each other over and all they do is squander the really dedicated hardworking people that stuck through all the muck. Most importantly, they completely screw over the business and think it is OK.
Pros
Great people
Cons
People don't quit jobs, they quit managers
Sometimes long hours but great co workers and corporate
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 29, 2016
Just sometimes there are long hours and not enough family time. Production becomes really low because funeral homes take them very fast.
Pros
Co workers
Nice place to work
Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Newnan, GASeptember 6, 2016
Definitely a get your hands dirty kinda job I enjoy working there
Don't worry about your hours you will always work its safe and wouldn't mind recommending it to anyone
Pros
a lot of pros
Cons
work Saturday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8