Oldcastle Employee Reviews

Oldcastle - Belgard Hardscapes
Marketing Coordinator, Belgard Hardscapes (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 8, 2017
CHQ HQ in Atlanta - great company - good ole boy network.It was a great position with challenges every day trying to stay ahead of the curve - working with the field staff was always fun and exciting as they truly cared about what they offered their clients. I was stunned when I was let go due to the economy at the time.
Pros
Great product - great team of contractors and sales teams across US
Cons
Good ole boy network
Great wages but difficult product marketplace
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJanuary 20, 2017
Typical day of work includes much physical activity including some heavy lifting, hand-tools or machines. I learned how buildings are constructed from the ground up. Management was located in another state. Workplace culture revolved around safety and looking out for each other. Hardest part of the job was out-of-town jobs and working in adverse weather. Ironically, I enjoyed traveling and seeing new places.
Supportive management, but . . .
Lead (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Keep in mind that it takes a specific person to enjoy and excel in the manufacturing environment. The minimum workday is 12 hours and can often be as much as 15, plus weekends. Management are personable and flexible, this is the best thing going for the company. Many of the employees are native Spanish speakers and know enough English to get by, though not enough to have a conversation. Most of the employees are very friendly and willing to help you out.
Cons
Long hours, pay, training, the workload.
Enjoyed the work.
Fabrication Technician (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 2, 2017
Was able to show my skills in several departments.
Was also able to go out in the field,and help make
Any repairs needed.
#1- Always knew what you were going to do.
#2-I learned so many skills.
#3-Management was changing constantly.
#4- Culture was very diverse, many types of people.
#5-Hardest part of job was lifting extremely heavy
Windows.
#6-Most enjoyable part was the pay.
Pros
NICE HOURS
Cons
EXCESSIVE OVERTIME
Drastic changes have been made. No longer a great place to work.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  SoutheastJanuary 8, 2017
I have been an employee of Oldcastle for close to a decade. I always figured i would have a long term career here. My outlook has changed. Lately the retail team sales reps have had to endure restructuring, management changes, demotion of titles, 11% pay cuts and total dishonesty. ....during a time when sales are up. It is obvious that the company is trying to get older higher salaried employees to quit so tgey can replace them with lower paid empliyees. I have completely lost faith in the integrity of this company.
Management needs help.
QUALITY CONTROL COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GADecember 6, 2016
The production crew are a bunch of guys who really like what they do and are eager to learn, however management especially upper management are clueless and repeatedly kills the momentum and the moral of the plant. The hardest part is the ever changing bar when it comes to expectations. If they had a real plant guy in charge and not just a numbers person moral would be better. They see everyone as just a number. Nepotism at work at this place.
Pros
hours
Cons
management will NOT back you up.
underpaid and overworked
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GANovember 14, 2016
I made $3 less then the average maint. tech and I was expected to pick up the slack for people who had quit or just did not show up. the turn over rate is unbelievable high for a company in general. however I stuck it out and i was rewarded after two years with a cost of living raise that was no where near close to what I was told multiple times. I was lied to by management over and over.
Pros
the knowledge you gain
Cons
to long to list.
Awful, stay away
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALDecember 14, 2016
I don't have time to list the complaints I have about this place. I will stick with the main ones. It is loud, dirty, the employees are equally so, management is only concerned with numbers and they preach safety, but never toss it to the side if you are getting pressed for time and you always are.
Pros
They will take anyone
Cons
Everything else you can think of
Good company. This location has management issues. They do not know how to reward good workers.
Tempering Oven Operator (Former Employee) –  Wright City, MONovember 20, 2016
Very hot environment. I learned a lot about heat treating glass. It seemed to me that I was punished for being a hard worker. They made their good workers work more O.T., and do more of the work, instead of rewarding them by giving them choices of what to do. I enjoyed the challenge of producing quality glass.
Do More with Less
Administration (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 4, 2016
I have only worked for one company within the Oldcastle structure. But this company in Rochester NY can be a challenge. Their willingness to listen to employees is very limited. The Upper Management is known as "moody" and "tight-fisted." There has been too many jobs eliminated with the work load carried by administrative positions. In the field and at facilities there seems to be a struggle within some lines of the business to employ enough people. I think for many managers the intent is fair and good, but their hands are tied and resources VERY limited.

Most people within the company like their jobs but frustration sometimes is too prevelant.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lacking in time off, management structure
It wasn't that fun it it it was stressful pain nobody got along with each other!
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GANovember 1, 2016
It was fun but they need a lot of help specially in management. A lot of things was out of order they wasn't organized everybody wanted to be the boss that's why I'm looking for a new job I was ready for something new I had my fun I got my training. I didn't feel safe everybody was drinking stealing stuff from the job taking drugs everything it wasn't a fun place that's the truth!
Pros
They suck!
Cons
Healthcare was bad
Great Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 13, 2017
Oldcastle offers a lot. You can go many directions and flexibility with daily schedule. They have fantastic benefits and do a lot of outside work activities. Very involved with the community and I feel that is very important.
Pros
Lots of diversity workwise
Cons
Management - very scattered
Awesome enviorment and business acumen
Cust Srv Rep/Dispatch Coord (Current Employee) –  Crofton, MDMarch 19, 2017
The hours were fixed and a exciting environment. How to coordinate, dispatch budget, budget kin a fast past work place, get, problem solving. The workplace environment was self directed and encouraged to own problem in a timely manner. Time management
very physical and productive job but also very safety orientated
Production Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 21, 2016
I worked at old castle for about a year.. it took time for my body to get used to the physical demand but like any job you do your body gets used to it. Every day is a race to finish the schedule and since you are working with concrete you can't stop until you finish. I have to say that old castle is a good place to work but I was unlucky enough to have a team leader that made my last months working there very miserable. But the job itself in my opinion is good
Pros
long breaks
Cons
fast paced
Poor management & stab in the back co-workers.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTOctober 17, 2016
Worked at Allied for several yrs. Company's expectations are ridiculous. They overload you with work & management constantly lies to you. A lot of brown nosing & co-workers are like the Gastapo, making up lies & then telling management to further their own position in the company. Not to mention a lot of unsafe work habits. Allowing animals in the workplace is just one of many examples. Benefits are ok.
Pros
Benefits are ok.
Cons
Unsafe work environment, poor management.
Don't recommend for anyone
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IAOctober 16, 2016
Management changed when worked there. It went from great to horrible over night. After management changed they downsized significantly and was not easy at all to get along with. Typically worked 10-16 hours a day and sometimes 24-36 hours straight. Management expected you to work those hours and never wanted to pay for hours worked, there were times I had to change hours to suit them.
Pros
Company vehicle and phone
Cons
Time, Money, Energy, Management
Great Previous Staff
Warehouse Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Conley, GANovember 1, 2016
Regional management was not the best, they made a very disturbing decision after we worked extremely hard to get the warehouse YEAR award they came in with BS excuses and dismissed the management team in which I was apart of claiming restructuring the company. I enjoyed working for my supervisor who was located in Lawrenceville and a very compassionate and understanding woman with integrity with a heart. I was located at the Conley warehouse which was close to home, great benefits and a decent pay. I was hoping for longevity with Oldcastle but the regional manager and a certain HR rep had plans for friends to get employed. Otherwise the remaining workers and staff were awesome and if I had the opportunity I would definitely go back with the old staff.
Pros
Work from home, Assist with Major Accounts
Cons
Higher Management Staff
Great co-workers, management clueless
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 4, 2016
Love the people I work with. Love the work itself. Love the business. The IT senior management could not pour water out of a boot with the directions on the bottom.

They constantly jump into projects, talk directly to developers without working through the management team (lead devs, project managers etc).

They constantly re-prioritize, play political games trying to screw each other over and all they do is squander the really dedicated hardworking people that stuck through all the muck. Most importantly, they completely screw over the business and think it is OK.
Pros
Great people
Cons
People don't quit jobs, they quit managers
It is what you make it.
Department Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 20, 2016
This is a company that is solely conceres with the bottom line. They pay their employees just enough to keep them, but could afford to pay more. Management cares more about the bottom line than the well beings of their employees.
Pros
Company stability
Cons
Poor leadership, bad hours, low wages..
Lots of hours
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDDecember 27, 2016
Stay off your cell phone do your job and everything will be fine. Multiple shifts many hours if your into that kind of stuff I was working so much I never had time to spend my money
Pros
Lots of money to make
Cons
Management isn't very forgiving the will terminate like it's nothing to them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8