Oldcastle Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work!
Shipping Manager/Scheduling Manager/Epicor Team (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 24, 2016
great company to work for, great benefits. everyone is very friendly and helpful as well. Relaxed atmosphere, while still being busy!
Mediocre dead end job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARFebruary 16, 2016
Let me stress that this company is all take and very, very little give.

I have worked in several different positions for this company. I am always trying to find things to do to help out and I still make the same terrible hourly wage that I started with. I have been working for this company for over five months now through a temp agency and when I asked about getting rolled over to three different members of management I was told "I don't know" by all three.

Unless you work inside all day on a bagging line that requires you to stick your hands into a running machine, you will spend a lot of time in the rain and snow. You can also expect to lift bags of mulch, soil or rocks that weigh from 40 to 90 ibs nearly every day. Of course the company doesn't give you back braces.

Then there's the leadership team. I never thought I would stumble across a leadership team more incapable of getting anything done than the folks that run Walmart, but here you have it. These guys will blow off complaints, safety concerns, essential tools and other reasonable problems that I have raised. On the other hand they have no problem reprimanding you each and everytime a mistake it made.

The worst thing about this job is the compensation. I'm right below the plant manager and maintenance guys at 10 dollars an hour. There are people that have worked at this plant for over twenty years that make less than what I do at my few months of time here. It's unbelievable.

In short; AVOID THIS PLACE. You're better off flipping burgers or finding a real job.
Pros
Experience, a paycheck, free shirts
Cons
Pay, management, unreasonable expectations, dangerous, working in inclimate weather
Great place to work.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNFebruary 1, 2016
Great place to work, Steady hours, great overtime pay.usually 8-12 hour a day. Friendly employees. Understanding management staff.
Won't recommend work here unless your a felon
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILJanuary 27, 2016
If you want to come and go it the place and never get a raise and work hard a get paid very little work here. Crappie place to work.
Laid back place to work
Fabrication Operator (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKJanuary 8, 2016
Show up and get organized by moving racks around and finding all of the days work. Cut and fab glass according to fab prints.
I learned how to work independently without a supervisor hovering near by.
The management was almost never seen outside the front office.
The hardest part of the job was working without direction. No one would ever say what needed done or in the order it needed to be done in, so everyday was and uncertainty.
Great Work Place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 11, 2015
Everyday is a new challenge form working heavy equipment to working to lay out the job to driving the work trucks.U can always look forward to stay busy on a day to day basis.
Pros
Gret wages
Cons
Outdoor working Conditions
Productive but fun workplace with good management.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Weston, WINovember 22, 2015
This is easily my favorite job, and a very good employer. At this particular location we didn't have people breathing down our necks, so to speak, and had time to figure things out on our own or from our crew. It was a little hard to balance a personal life with the hours, but I learned a lot here. Management was very relaxed. However, the job did require us to work fast, especially during the construction season. I'd say that's the hardest part if you factor in the heat during the summer, but it is very rewarding and has good benefits. This company values cross-training so you will learn many departments and be able to get a lot of overtime if you ask for extra training or volunteer to work on a Saturday in another department.
Pros
Overtime, good benefits, good management, decent pay, A company catalog where you can pick out clothes.
Cons
Short brakes, very hot summers
Only 40 minutes from home, relaxed work enviroment even though face paced, it was enjoyable hard work
Lead Estimator (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDNovember 6, 2015
Fast paced work environment that gave me additional experience in "Relationship Selling". Small office with large warehouse. Enjoyed many co-workers. Learned several new computer programs I.E. CAD
Sales.Force, Surpass and many others. Learned how to manage a 20,000 square foot facility and the people that work in it.
Pros
Ten hour day that started early in the morning. Health Care Insurance, Loved the clientsa I efforted for everyday.
Cons
Lack of leadership. Had to wear steel toed boots.
hard work but they took care of me over all
labor (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDNovember 5, 2015
made good money I was happy there
till they cut back on jobs and let me go.
but if I had a chance to work for them again I would
made friends there I liked the hard work
long hours but the pay was good
Pros
good people
Cons
they let me go
Great place to work at
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 26, 2015
Great place to work at. Friendly management. Good employees to work with. There was a lot of variety in the duties I had. Good working conditions. They promote safety a lot.
Pros
everything
I enjoyed working for OBE
Fabrication Team Member (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXOctober 15, 2015
Old Castle Building Envelope was a good place to work. I would work for them again if they were hiring in my area. I was a good place to work.
Poor management No respect for the worker
Delivery Boy (Current Employee) –  South Bethlehem, NYOctober 13, 2015
The plant is currently plagued with multiple managers that have no or very little knowledge of the products we produce. Failing equipment causes breakdowns, with constant 12+ hour days including Saturdays. Unwilling to give pay raising based on performance, stick with the minimum required per union standards (currently poor union so very low average pay) no matter the level of accomplishment, work ethic or skill. Very few upside to this plant other than decent health insurance and decent benefits for most of the none union workers. Also poor at maintaining a full staff when issues occur. Plant manager has poor knowledge and skills of our products and frequently makes bad choices that are often followed by the people he hired to replace the various other managers that took over upon retirement. Often managers look for scapegoats in other departments to distract from there own short comings.
Pros
Some free lunches were provided, although rarely
Cons
short breaks, health care, hours, pay, management, equipment
good atmosphere good people and good company to work for
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAOctober 8, 2015
load trucks unload product from belt and put it away in a safe but fast manner and clean were cleaning needed make sure product was put away in the right spot
Unloader (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 6, 2015
Great place to work, however, no time for family. Not knowing when you will get off is, at most time, frustrating. Heavy lifting constantly. descent pay, but could be better for the work being done.
Pros
pay, people, challenge
Cons
hot, no fixed schedule
Do not work here if you got a kid
Outside forklift operator/ Truck loader (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PASeptember 18, 2015
You plan on working here then my suggestion to you is that don't have a kid that needs your attention and don't bother having a life a period. layoff is a joke great place to work pay is good but you got family with needs this place diffenetly not for you will only find hardship managment is horrible unless you are in there click group and unless you beg you might get a lunch. forklifting driving is horrible there too unstable and dangerous using a lift that is falling apart from the wheels to the doors literally unless u have no care in life go for it but otherwise u care for your life then don't go here literally a accident waiting to happen
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad equipment, poor managment, overall not OSHA reg
Great group of employees
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammonton, NJSeptember 15, 2015
Spent 10 years and it was a great place to work, Had the ability to advance in the company in varies departments, I worked as the accounting manager and then as plant controller. They were a manufacturer of glass products
Pros
Good work enviorment
Cons
Excellent place for growth and development of machinery skills.
Wire Crimper (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 6, 2015
I enjoy working with people who are proud of their results. Oldcastle is a place where people want to do good work and learn while on the job.
Fast Paced, Cutting Edge, Safety Built company.
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, FLAugust 25, 2015
Fast Pace Atmosphere, Co Workers are Team Players, Management are Well Informed and Patient, 7 Day a Week, Not Much Time To Spend With My Family Was The Only Draw Back.
Quick summery of Oldcastle Preccast
Manager was Elliott Taylor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, North CarolinaAugust 19, 2015
My job at Old Castle was enjoyable because we were pushed to make production which helped the day move quickly. I was able to learn several different jobs while working there..
While there, management changed hands twice. Each manager had their own expectations which created some confusion at first but was good in the long run.
My coworkers were of all ethnicity which was interesting. We were able to bond on, as well as off the job in a informal setting.
Hardest part of the job was during peak times we were expected to work 60 plus hours. This left little down time to rest and unwind.
I enjoyed learning Quality Control the most. I took pride in what I did and the product we produced.
Pros
Salary, Benefits and Opportunities
Cons
Sixty Plus Hours A Week
No reviews from L.A.
Tempering (Former Employee) –  Commerce, caAugust 12, 2015
First off i see there are no reviews for their Commerce, CA location. Lets start. 10-12 long hours of continuous back breaking heavy lifting. And about an hour 15mins total off ur feet. (One 30min three 15min breaks)Worked in the tempering dept. First aid boxes were locked, roof had leaks hot glass would burst from getting wet. EVERY ORDER IS OVER 75LBS AND YES YOU WILL END UP PICKING IT UP BY YOURSELF I'm 23 and messed my back up at this place i was commended for my savage work ethic but jumped ship when i realized this place is a trap. NEVER MENTIONED MANDATORY OVERTIME IN INTERVIEW AND I WAS A STUDENT.
Pros
Great moral
Cons
Back breaking work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8