The citizens of Olean contributed to the construction of a maternity building in 1921 and raised more than $425,000 in 1948 to connect patient wards to the Hospital and for an addition and repairs to the maternity building. In 1952, the Robert J. Dermitt Memorial Pediatric Ward was built with funds given by Jeannette and Margaret Dermitt in memory of their brother.
Olean General Hospital built a reputation as a modern, progressive hospital during expansion projects in the '60s and '70s. A brand new $3 million hospital was built in 1964. Nine years later, a $2.8 million addition created a coronary care unit and expanded ancillary services and in 1978, the Dermitt Memorial Pediatric Unit was expanded and renovated.
The '80s marked continued modernization. In 1984, a new Imaging Suite and a CT Unit was added to the Radiology Department. This was partly supported by funds from Health Care '84, a joint fund-raising effort with St. Francis Hospital which resulted in a million dollars in contributions.
The Hospital received continued support in the 90's for expansion and improvements. The construction of a new Maternity Unit and Intensive Care Unit were made possible by a $15 million bequest made in memory of Mabel Norton Adams in 1992. The Intensive Care Unit was also funded by the Butchello Memorial Golf Tournament and Olean General Hospital Auxiliary.
Most significantly, in July of 1991, Olean General merged with St. Francis Hospital to better meet the needs of the city and surrounding communities.
In 1996, the Hospital opened the Marie Lorenz Dialysis and Primary Care Center to meet a long-standing need to treat local residents with kidney failure. To serve the Primary Care Center, the Hospital entered into a partnership with the University of Buffalo School of Medicine to begin offering a family practice residency program. Currently, four residents train for a two-year rotation at Olean General Hospital under the direction of the University Primary Care physicians. The practices have also grown to include satellite offices in Olean, Cuba, Houghton and Franklinville.
The 90's also saw increased growth with the expansion of physical therapy services at the new Outpatient Rehabilition Center, and the opening of an Occupational Wellness Center which will address the health care needs of local businesses and industries. In 1998-99, the Hospital added several new services with the Diabetes Center, the Sleep Disorders Center, and the Retina Center.
As demand for outpatient services continues to grow, Olean General Hospital continues to meet the needs of its patients.
Supported by more than 100 physicians and specialists, Olean General Hospital offers medical services in: Anesthesiology, Allergy and Immunology, Cardiology, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Dermatology, Emergency Services, Endocrinology, Family Practice, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Oral Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Pulmonary Diseases, Pain Management, Pathology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Radiology and Urology.
Olean General Hospital also serves its community by offering a wide range of patient education and community service programs, including prepared childbirth classes, blood pressure screening clinics, home lab service, and the first diabetes education program in Western New York to be recognized by the American Diabetes Association for excellence.
The hospital just recently received a $10 million dollar gift to fund the state of the art diagnostic imaging equipment in April.
Olean General can continue to expand and lead the health care activities in the community due to a progressive Board of Directors, an involved medical staff, a dedicated and compassionate Hospital staff, a stable, well-qualified group of managers, and an Auxiliary that supports and cares about its Hospital. Olean General Hospital is, indeed, fortunate and looks forward to the future with vigor and enthusiasm. – less–ZoomInfo