Olean General Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Tragic working environment.
Health Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 23, 2016
The recruiting process is phenomenal. Unfortunately the committee is disconnected from the reality of whichever department you will be working with. Several things were promised in the recruitment process yet after only 2 weeks on the job I realized none of it would be realized. The promises were empty just to get you excited to sign the contract.
Management is entirely about "systems" and the numbers. Employees are actually timed at their jobs then told to work faster without appearing rushed. No positive feedback is ever given except to favorites. Being the new person you will be the interloper. Absolutely no training is provided - you're just thrown in the deep end. Even if you can swim you soon realize there are sharks in the water. The absolute worst experience I have ever had. I have never been so poorly treated in my life. Don't apply!! Run!!
Pros
Co-workers
Co-Workers
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 9, 2015
My co-workers and I got along very well. We worked together and enjoyed our time. Most of the time it didn't even feel like work. I lived there for most of the time. I worked all hours and pulled double and triple shift hours. I would go days with only being home for about 30-45 minutes long. I loved this job.
Pros
Cafeteria, Coffee kiosk, free parking
Cons
Heathcare benefits didn't meet my needs
Productive Place to Work
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYMay 6, 2016
Great!
Was always being taught new things.
Co-Workers and Managers are great and helpful.
Third Shift isn't for everyone.
Loved learning new things.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Third Shift
Great people and friendly service.
Hostess/ Food Attendant (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 12, 2015
Great team work and friendly people. Fasted paced and enjoyed the challenge. Management was always helpful and they kept us up to date and well informed.
Struggle to survive in the new OGH culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Olean,NYNovember 1, 2012
The general employees as a whole were wonderful - very team focused and many wonderful personalities. Furthermore, the pay is very good for this area, and although the benefits are becoming very expensive, the hospital does work hard to provide the employees benefit options that can fit different budgets and needs.

If you are looking for a career in which the culture is healthy and the values are there, OGH is not for you. Unfortunately, It is very top heavy - too many upper management that have no understanding or appreciation for the average employee. They use their at-will rights frequently; so if an individual is looking for any type of job security - this is not the place to be. Unfortunately the culture is such that if you do not know the right people you will not move on in your position. Unfortunately many good employees get really bad treatment.

I used to be so proud to work for OGH - it was once a family oriented, warm, small town hospital. I feel very badly about what it has become - cut throat business.
Pros
many great people, team work among "average" employees and departments
Cons
too much management, who-you-know mentality, ineffective management
Very difficult culture
Healthcare worker (Current Employee) –  Olean,NYNovember 5, 2012
Very top heavy; many hands in the pot with upper level management & VPs of every thing you can think of.
Job security is a joke; they exercise their at will rights at the drop of a dime. Employee is provided with no valid reasons or proof as to why they are being let go.
There is a lot of attention and TONS of money spent on renovations to make everything look pretty. This takes away from actual manpower where it counts. Ie, nurses, nursing assistants - they need more help often times. Wait times are big and it is not the personnel who are at fault, yet they are the ones who take the fault both by patient's and administration.
The culture of OGH has changed since the new management has come in to the hospital. It used to be a family-friendly establishment that truly cared about its employees. It used to be a place that one could feel proud to work for. It is very sad that it is not such anymore.
One good thing about the job - there are many, many other employees who are great. Team oriented, friendly, & in the same boat as everyone else. It is too bad that the small person is not recognized in the new environment.
Pros
great coworkers, benefits offered
Cons
too much management, who-you-know mentality, ineffective management

Comment – January 17, 2013

Sounds like sour grapes to me....did you get fired?

Great Working Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYOctober 22, 2015
Assisted with patient care and general staff. Worked with patients during therapy and provided additional help when needed.
Worst job ever
RN (Former Employee) –  OleanMay 13, 2015
All I have to say is between management, human resources, and the CEO the place is filled with mean and viscous people. Patient issues are pushed under the rug and if you have any morals it is not the place for you.
Pros
Cons
Bad management and CEO
educational place to work
Staff Nurse OB/GYN (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 22, 2015
I have learned a great deal while working at ogh. I enjoy my coworkers. Every birth is truly amazing. I have had many great experiences as well as a few very sad experiences. Healthcare is a very stressful career.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
short staffing
Not a good moral work environment
Distribution Tech / Shipping & Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 8, 2013
Not a family oriented work environment. Favortsim & greed are the general principals of this organization. Moral is extremely low & management bares no compassion for employees who work hard & deserve fair & equal treatment.
Pros
great friend network & good people to work with
Cons
favortism, greed, low pay for job title, poor benefit package
Good learning experience
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 21, 2015
Management showed favortism. However, coworkers were very helpful. Not alot of time left for family due to hours being all over the place.
Pros
Good pay, coworkers
Cons
Favortism, no chance to advance
It paid well but under new management the hospital became a difficult place to work
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 19, 2012
The CEO of the hospital spent much money to fix the hospital up, was seen often in the newspaper and was very busy at trying to make money. At the same time: There was little respect for staff, no thought given to overall outcomes to customer or staff satisfaction and management was very demeaning. I wouldn't recommend it as an employer. I am basically unemployed because the CEO thought it would save money to eliminate an entire department of greeters in the E.D and put our job on already stretched Registration Clerks, who frankly have no time to assist patients and families properly. He did have enough money for a fleet of new SUV's for interoffice travel though ( Our other office was 20 minutes away???) I'm still reeling from this.
Pros
paid well
Cons
don't get me started!
The environment and workers were good. I had many experiences as a student nurse.
student nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2012
I had my clinical rotations in Olean General Hospital. I had the opportunity to practice my skills as mentioned in my resume. I also had the chance to observe different units. For example, edoscopy unit, ER, OR, ICU. Sometimes practitioners become very busy. Time management was one of the tools I adopted in dealing with situations. I prioritized on who or what needs to be done first, afterwards i then did the one that didn't need attention immediately. What I actually found out as being the hardest part of the job was when I saw a client dying. One of the client I had that day was a dying client. Seeing this for the first time was actually hard. As a student nurse, I collaborated with the health care workers in comforting this client as she takes her last breathe on earth. If I recall, the day I became happy was when a client was in cardiac arrest and we the students nurses with the other health care workers helped brought the client back to life. at that time, I saw how important my work is. I became so happy choosing this carrier in saving lives.
Strong commitment to Patient Satisfaction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYOctober 11, 2012
Staff and Management have a strong commitment to patient satisfaction and work well together. Although the days are often busy, the team that I work with are dedicated to patient care and find value in the work nad service they provide each day. Staff also have a good sense of humor and that lightens the day.

Management is supportive to our needs and providing for the patient needs.
Pros
good group of staff, good work environment
Cons
schedule can be hectic at times but that is typical of healthcare
Fast pace working environment
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 22, 2013
A typical day is the same pretty much every day. Patients come into hospital whether they are ill and need to be seen by the Emergency Department or they are coming in for lab work or xrays etc. I gather their personal information or update their charts. Ensure their insurances are active and collect copays if required. Admit or discharge patients or transfer patients to different rooms.

I've learned patience more then I had already had. I've learned alittle on insurances. Some of the skills that I do I had already learned at my previous job where I was for 13yrs. I did learn what some of the diagnoses mean.

The co-workers that I've had the pleasure to work with are good team players and help each other out.

The hardest part of the job I would say is not getting emotional with extremely ill patients or when handling family of a deceased patient. When you know they are gone and they don't know yet keeping that straight you don't know anything look.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping where I can with a patient to try and make their visit as comfortable for them as it can be for whatever reason they are there.
Pros
benefits and healthcare
Great first job
Lead Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYAugust 2, 2014
I was lead tech and in charge of blood bank on my shift. On my shift I had to make sure all was working properly. Keeping our instrumentation running was a challenge. I learned many things at Olean General. Foremost was leading by example seemed to bring out the best from people and working together as a team was certainly the way to go. I worked with some great people. They were intelligent and hard working. The hardest part of the job was never knowing what was coming through the ER door. Our hospital was rural and we served as a trauma center for a very large area. We sometimes had to work overtime to complete our work. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing I did my best and hopefully made a difference in some patients life.
Pros
great work atmosphere.
Cons
older sometimes unreliable instrumentation.
Difficult culture
Clinical Supervisor Cardiopulmonary (Former Employee) –  cardioAugust 29, 2012
The employee culture is extremely resistant to change. HR back up to get rid of bad employees is lacking.
Pros
free parking
Cons
no back up
Great Hospital
RN (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYOctober 19, 2012
The leadership at OGH really understand what's going on in the new healthcare enviornment. They're not afraid to talk to employees and ask for their opinion on what they can do to help move the organization forward. This is a solid company with a real vision for the future. I love working here!!!
Pros
being a part of a bigger purpose, understanding the environment and a leadership that values your opinion.
Cons
difficulty surviving within the environment of new healthcare reforms and unfunded mandates.
horrible employer
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYMarch 22, 2014
worked there for several years. no advancement opportunity at all. they favored the bad workers and looked down on the good workers. i do not recommend them to anyone
Cons
alot
Not a good place for a new grad.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Waas made alot of promises from management when I started, and they never delivered any of them. Would not recommend it for a new graduate.