Olean General Hospital

Olean General Hospital Employer Reviews

good work environmen
Registration Clerk (Former Employee), Olean, NYApril 27, 2014
Meeting new people daily, and creating a welcoming relationship with those in need allowed this employment opportunity to be a well experienced job opportunity.
horrible employer
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Olean, NYMarch 22, 2014
Cons: alot
worked there for several years. no advancement opportunity at all. they favored the bad workers and looked down on the good workers. i do not recommend them to anyone
Not a good place for a new grad.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), Olean, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Waas made alot of promises from management when I started, and they never delivered any of them. Would not recommend it for a new graduate.
great
Team Member (Former Employee), Olean, NYAugust 13, 2013
my co workers were the best. most enjoyable part of my job was the people.
Fast pace working environment
Registration Clerk (Current Employee), Olean, NYJune 22, 2013
Pros: benefits and healthcare
A typical day is the same pretty much every day. Patients come into hospital whether they are ill and need to be seen by the Emergency Department or they are coming in for lab work or xrays etc. I gather their personal information or update their charts. Ensure their insurances are active and collect copays if required. Admit or discharge patients or – more... transfer patients to different rooms.

I've learned patience more then I had already had. I've learned alittle on insurances. Some of the skills that I do I had already learned at my previous job where I was for 13yrs. I did learn what some of the diagnoses mean.

The co-workers that I've had the pleasure to work with are good team players and help each other out.

The hardest part of the job I would say is not getting emotional with extremely ill patients or when handling family of a deceased patient. When you know they are gone and they don't know yet keeping that straight you don't know anything look.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping where I can with a patient to try and make their visit as comfortable for them as it can be for whatever reason they are there. – less
Enjoyable
Receptionist/Registration Clerk (Former Employee), Olean, NYApril 30, 2013
Enjoyable workplace. Worked with many enjoyable people and learned a lot about work ethic.
Not a good moral work environment
Distribution Tech / Shipping & Receiving Associate (Former Employee), Olean, NYApril 8, 2013
Pros: great friend network & good people to work with
Cons: favortism, greed, low pay for job title, poor benefit package
Not a family oriented work environment. Favortsim & greed are the general principals of this organization. Moral is extremely low & management bares no compassion for employees who work hard & deserve fair & equal treatment.
Great learning hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Emergency DeptmentJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: excellent learning facility
Cons: no where to advance but to the emergency dept. no trauma unit.
I was first employed on the post surgical unit. I was there for a year, doing charge nursing, precepting new grads. I transferred to the emergency room after months of critical care training provided by the facility. I remained in the emergency dept for 2 yrs.
Very difficult culture
Healthcare worker (Current Employee), Olean,NYNovember 5, 2012
Pros: great coworkers, benefits offered
Cons: too much management, who-you-know mentality, ineffective management
Very top heavy; many hands in the pot with upper level management & VPs of every thing you can think of.
Job security is a joke; they exercise their at will rights at the drop of a dime. Employee is provided with no valid reasons or proof as to why they are being let go.
There is a lot of attention and TONS of money spent on renovations to make everything – more... look pretty. This takes away from actual manpower where it counts. Ie, nurses, nursing assistants - they need more help often times. Wait times are big and it is not the personnel who are at fault, yet they are the ones who take the fault both by patient's and administration.
The culture of OGH has changed since the new management has come in to the hospital. It used to be a family-friendly establishment that truly cared about its employees. It used to be a place that one could feel proud to work for. It is very sad that it is not such anymore.
One good thing about the job - there are many, many other employees who are great. Team oriented, friendly, & in the same boat as everyone else. It is too bad that the small person is not recognized in the new environment. – less

January 17, 2013

Sounds like sour grapes to me....did you get fired?

Struggle to survive in the new OGH culture
Employee (Former Employee), Olean,NYNovember 1, 2012
Pros: many great people, team work among "average" employees and departments
Cons: too much management, who-you-know mentality, ineffective management
The general employees as a whole were wonderful - very team focused and many wonderful personalities. Furthermore, the pay is very good for this area, and although the benefits are becoming very expensive, the hospital does work hard to provide the employees benefit options that can fit different budgets and needs.

If you are looking for a career in – more... which the culture is healthy and the values are there, OGH is not for you. Unfortunately, It is very top heavy - too many upper management that have no understanding or appreciation for the average employee. They use their at-will rights frequently; so if an individual is looking for any type of job security - this is not the place to be. Unfortunately the culture is such that if you do not know the right people you will not move on in your position. Unfortunately many good employees get really bad treatment.

I used to be so proud to work for OGH - it was once a family oriented, warm, small town hospital. I feel very badly about what it has become - cut throat business. – less
Great Hospital
RN (Current Employee), Olean, NYOctober 19, 2012
Pros: being a part of a bigger purpose, understanding the environment and a leadership that values your opinion.
Cons: difficulty surviving within the environment of new healthcare reforms and unfunded mandates.
The leadership at OGH really understand what's going on in the new healthcare enviornment. They're not afraid to talk to employees and ask for their opinion on what they can do to help move the organization forward. This is a solid company with a real vision for the future. I love working here!!!
Strong commitment to Patient Satisfaction
Manager (Current Employee), Olean, NYOctober 11, 2012
Pros: good group of staff, good work environment
Cons: schedule can be hectic at times but that is typical of healthcare
Staff and Management have a strong commitment to patient satisfaction and work well together. Although the days are often busy, the team that I work with are dedicated to patient care and find value in the work nad service they provide each day. Staff also have a good sense of humor and that lightens the day.

Management is supportive to our needs and – more... providing for the patient needs. – less
Patient-Centered and Fast Paced Enviroment
Coordinator (Current Employee), Olean, NYSeptember 28, 2012
Pros: happy co-workers, excellent cafeteria, beautiful area
Working at OGH provides me the opportunity to give back to the community and work with some really fabulous people. Everyone smiles and says hello in the hallways as you walk by them and the facility is beautiful. The days go by very quickly, and I feel like I have numerous opportunities to get involved with projects. Lots of great process improvement – more... initiatives! – less
Difficult culture
Clinical Supervisor Cardiopulmonary (Former Employee), cardioAugust 29, 2012
Pros: free parking
Cons: no back up
The employee culture is extremely resistant to change. HR back up to get rid of bad employees is lacking.
The environment and workers were good. I had many experiences as a student nurse.
student nurse (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 25, 2012
I had my clinical rotations in Olean General Hospital. I had the opportunity to practice my skills as mentioned in my resume. I also had the chance to observe different units. For example, edoscopy unit, ER, OR, ICU. Sometimes practitioners become very busy. Time management was one of the tools I adopted in dealing with situations. I prioritized on – more... who or what needs to be done first, afterwards i then did the one that didn't need attention immediately. What I actually found out as being the hardest part of the job was when I saw a client dying. One of the client I had that day was a dying client. Seeing this for the first time was actually hard. As a student nurse, I collaborated with the health care workers in comforting this client as she takes her last breathe on earth. If I recall, the day I became happy was when a client was in cardiac arrest and we the students nurses with the other health care workers helped brought the client back to life. at that time, I saw how important my work is. I became so happy choosing this carrier in saving lives. – less
Great learning experience
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee), Olean, NYMay 14, 2012
I like this job alot and learned a great deal. Was busy so your day went by fast.
It paid well but under new management the hospital became a difficult place to work
Registration Clerk (Former Employee), Olean, NYApril 19, 2012
Pros: paid well
Cons: don't get me started!
The CEO of the hospital spent much money to fix the hospital up, was seen often in the newspaper and was very busy at trying to make money. At the same time: There was little respect for staff, no thought given to overall outcomes to customer or staff satisfaction and management was very demeaning. I wouldn't recommend it as an employer. I am basically – more... unemployed because the CEO thought it would save money to eliminate an entire department of greeters in the E.D and put our job on already stretched Registration Clerks, who frankly have no time to assist patients and families properly. He did have enough money for a fleet of new SUV's for interoffice travel though ( Our other office was 20 minutes away???) I'm still reeling from this. – less