Olin Corporation

Olin Corporation Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
Supervisor, Cap Operator, Adjuster II (Former Employee), Alton, ILApril 1, 2015
I enjoyed working here I loved the people I worked with. The hours I worked were not always the best, shift work can be really hard on a family with little kids so I have to say that was probably the biggest problem for me and my family was the shift work and 16 hour days, other than that I loved my job I loved the people I worked with. We all got along great, management was really easy to get along with it was a great place to work.
Employed 38 years while achieving good experience and working skills.
Machine Operating Adjustor and Forklift Driver (Former Employee), E. Alton, ILNovember 17, 2014
Pros: good salary, health benefits, compensitory wages for overtime, and paid vacations and holidays.
Cons: rotating three shift schedule and forced overtime.
A good income along with satisfactory benefits. Gained experience in mechanical knowledge of machinery in regards to ammunition manufacturing. Became adept at operating forklifts along with the learning of good safety practices applying to such. I found working with the management fair and reasonable and the co-workers willing to be helpful and offer good advice pertaining to the tasks of working effectively and safely. The hardest part of the job was often the load of unwanted overtime when vacancies occurred but many times effort was made to make this particular facet of the job less burdensome. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction of fellow employees who worked closely with me as we all shared duties and common goals.
Rotating shifts, short breaks, and overtime.
Adjustor I (Former Employee), East Alton, ILNovember 10, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: short breaks, forced overtime
I get to my work station 15 min early to check with other employee about any problems they may have had with operation of loader. Learn the function of shotgun shells, and how to adjust different station on the loader. Foreman work close with us. Co-worker, we help each other if needed. Hardest thing was the rotating shifts. One week days, the next midnights, then evenings. I enjoyed it most when I got the highest production than any other on the same loader.
Job security and good benefits
Supplier Quality Tech Advanced Grade (Former Employee), East Alton, ILOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great safety program and good benefits
Cons: micromanaging
A typical work day would be checking material with spec's. to ensure a high Quality Product.
high speed work
Centerfire Cap Operator (Current Employee), East Alton, ILAugust 8, 2014
Pros: get done early
Cons: shift work
easy work, long days, shift work, dont know how long the company will actually be there.
production runner
Machine Operator and Production Runner (Former Employee), Alton, ILMay 5, 2014
here I was an a production runner and an adjuster I made bullets and work on machines it was a good job until the soled out
fast paste great money
Cap operator (Former Employee), East Alton, ILApril 22, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: dangerous job
I inspected government ammunition. This job was fast paste, and very specific. My co-worker were great people.
Hard worker
Machine Operator (Former Employee), East Alton, ILApril 14, 2014
machinist who went the extra distance to complete orders and did about 32 to 40 hrs overtime a week(VOLUNTARILY)
fun workplace
Management Information Support Specialist (Former Employee), Oxford, MSMarch 18, 2014
the most enjoyable part of my job was helping my customers on a daily basis to acheive their goals.
Very productive, enjoyable.
Boilermaker (Current Employee), East Alton, ILFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: local, busy, fast-pace
Cons: lay off
Olin Corporation has been a good place to work for the past 3 years. I have enjoyed the opportunities I have had with them and would continue with them until I retire however with a pending lay off status, I am being forced to look for another job.
Productive and busy place
MIS Support Specialist (Current Employee), Oxford, MSFebruary 27, 2014
A typical day at work would be answering help desk calls and assisting coworkers with issues.
fair company wish they were not relocating
Winchester Division, Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee), East Alton, ILFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: good pay and work conditions
Cons: the company is moving.
Building and troubleshooting electrical single phase and three phase circuits. Co-workers make the time past quickly and the help they offer is always welcome. Trying to find parts and prints can be very hard. When you fix the problem that has been a real pain,is very good feeling.
Fun and safe
quality verifications (Former Employee), East Alton, ILDecember 30, 2013
Pros: safely lunch
Work safely and always identify your surrounding for near miss.I enjoy my co- workers. There was nothing hard about my job.
Great place to work...but not the best pay in the industry
Electrical/Instrumentation Designer (Former Employee), Henderson, NVDecember 29, 2013
Pros: ice cream at the electrical shack, co-workers
Cons: pay rate
I went to work for Olin Corporation in June 2010 on contract.

I was treated like one of the staff, not just another contractor.

The Engineers I worked primarily for were knowledgeable on the work and know that plant inside and out, yet humble, easy to communicate with and fantastic to work with.

I was given responsibilities of working on Electrical, Instrumentation & Controls as well as helping out the Process Engineers on projects and performing walk downs and updating P&ID's. Worked directly with the Electricians and Instrumentation Techs, it was great.

I sometimes kick myself for leaving, but I knew I would never be afforded the chance to become a direct hire employee and the pay scale wasn't the best for the industry, but the environment made up for it.
The pay and benefits are very competative with the rest on Manufacturing jobs
Inspection / Machinery Operations / Clerical (Former Employee), East Alton, ILDecember 9, 2013
Pros: good pay good benefits
Cons: jobs have been eliminated in illinois
forced overtime heavily but are compensated for it good, upper management is in the cut employees mode, they moved a lot of Winchester Ammunition to Oxford Mississippi and much more leaving from East Alton Illinois,
Good employer with a good benefit program.
Temporary Pension Specialist (Current Employee), Clayton, MODecember 8, 2013
I have been given the opportunity to learn additional areas of the pension department. Though I am a temp, management has taken their time to give me instruction and guidance.
High quality product with a name recognized world-wide
Adjuster II (Former Employee), East Alton, ILDecember 5, 2013
Pros: safety conscience of their employees and thorough programs to help protect and inform employees.
Cons: unexpected 16 hour shifts
Working for Winchester ammunition, you always had a sense of pride knowing that you made the very best ammunition in the world. Knowing that you were providing the ammunition to our troops working so diligently to protect your freedom made you put that extra effort into the quality that helped Olin/Winchester to earn ISO standards and Certification, It was the kind of job that paid well enough to raise a family. The insurance and benefits were outstanding.
loud place to work
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee), East Alton, ILNovember 5, 2013
Pros: choice of shifts to work
Cons: a lot of the jobs are very phsyical
Union environment with a lot of departments. The insurance and benefits package was very good.
alot of over time
Driver/Forklift Operator (Current Employee), East Alton, ILOctober 17, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: forced overtime
fast paced . co-workers are good to work with . hardest part of the day is getting forced over
Factory Job that was very physically challenging
Tractor Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), East Alton, ILAugust 22, 2013
At this job, I would be responsible for ensuring that materials were delivered to the department that needed it. My co-workers were helpful at times. The hardest part of the job was the rotating schedule. It is not easy to switch shift each week. But the pay and benefits were good.

Olin Corporation Salaries