Olin Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and hard working job
Cap Operator (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILNovember 30, 2015
I liked the job it was fast paced and kept me busy all day I like to move and make production the faster I did my work and made sure quality was great the closer I got to home.
Pros
My coworkers where good.
Cons
If quality was not right it was a bad day.
Bad management
Washer, Forktruck Driver and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILNovember 16, 2015
Not a good place to work, no sick days, always forced over time and just not a good working relationship with management.
Pros
good pay
Cons
to much over time
factory very busy and hard work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILNovember 2, 2015
went to work never knowing if you were going to have to do a double at the last minute. hard work, factory, inspecting parts and running machines
Productive although repetive work balance
Customer Service Representative-temporary (Former Employee) –  East Altoin, ILOctober 13, 2015
I was employed as a temporary employee. I was asked to stay but I needed employment that was permanent and offered benefits.
High paying job requiring minimal experience.
Adjuster/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILSeptember 24, 2015
Fast paced, professional atmosphere. Union job with excellent pay and benefits. Most jobs require you to work a 4 group rotating schedule. Which means you work most weekends.
Pros
great pay.
Cons
4 group rotating schedule.
production over everything
Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILSeptember 17, 2015
My job was just ok. As long as I maintained my work ethics I was content. The pay was good, but the managers were not. My coworkers were the best thing about this job. I learned so much from this group of individuals.
Opportunity move into a more sophisticated chemical process plant. Operations included exposure to maintenance as well as small project engineering
Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brook Park, OH and Joliet, ILJuly 23, 2015
Worked for a plant manager not much older than myself. This individual mentored me to develop the role of Plant Engineer in support of a specialty chemical process, transport of chemical in a shipping fleet, and a line of equipment that would dispense the chemicals at a customers plant.

The job was three fold:
Maintenance
Project Engineering and
Process Support engineer

I had the opportunity to work with young co-op students from a local university that were my "engineering work force". I gave back my previous mentoring relationship to these students. The produced for the company at a lower cost than permanent staff.

The work situation was such that I was able to pursue a night time MBA degree at a local college while working full time as a Plant Engineer. The work day was long but was rewarded with a company paid degree and advancement from the Ohio plant to a larger facility in Illinois. At the new plant I was exposed to larger CapEx projects and participated in plant design and project management.
Pros
Increased learning opportunities, company sponsored advanced degree, strong mentoring relationships, increased job resonsiblity
Cons
Long work hours, advance studies at night, learning how to deal with a union maintenance work force
Working at Olin Corporation
Center Fire Loader/Packer Operator (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILJuly 22, 2015
Safety is Olin's number one priority. Quality of product was a close second. Olin employees work long hours with good pay.
Awesome company to work for.
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJuly 17, 2015
300 ton per day Chlor alkali plant with a mountain of experience and resources. Although antiquated, working for this organization was second to none. they genuinely took safety seriously and we were empowered as operators to run our process autonomously.
Pros
Great pay, excellent benifits.
Cons
Hard rotating shift schedule.
Productive good coworkers
Adjuster, operater and packer (Current Employee) –  East Alton, ILApril 2, 2015
I really did like most of my jobs with Olin. I am seeking new employment because they are moving to Mississippi.
They have a high safety standard. With all the safety training it has made me more safety conscious at home as well. Was OSHA trained and tested every year.
Pros
decent insurance and good income
Cons
relocating out of the state.
productive and fun place to work
Supervisor, Cap Operator, Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILApril 1, 2015
I enjoyed working here I loved the people I worked with. The hours I worked were not always the best, shift work can be really hard on a family with little kids so I have to say that was probably the biggest problem for me and my family was the shift work and 16 hour days, other than that I loved my job I loved the people I worked with. We all got along great, management was really easy to get along with it was a great place to work.
Employed 38 years while achieving good experience and working skills.
Machine Operating Adjustor and Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  E. Alton, ILNovember 17, 2014
A good income along with satisfactory benefits. Gained experience in mechanical knowledge of machinery in regards to ammunition manufacturing. Became adept at operating forklifts along with the learning of good safety practices applying to such. I found working with the management fair and reasonable and the co-workers willing to be helpful and offer good advice pertaining to the tasks of working effectively and safely. The hardest part of the job was often the load of unwanted overtime when vacancies occurred but many times effort was made to make this particular facet of the job less burdensome. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction of fellow employees who worked closely with me as we all shared duties and common goals.
Pros
good salary, health benefits, compensitory wages for overtime, and paid vacations and holidays.
Cons
rotating three shift schedule and forced overtime.
Rotating shifts, short breaks, and overtime.
Adjustor I (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILNovember 10, 2014
I get to my work station 15 min early to check with other employee about any problems they may have had with operation of loader. Learn the function of shotgun shells, and how to adjust different station on the loader. Foreman work close with us. Co-worker, we help each other if needed. Hardest thing was the rotating shifts. One week days, the next midnights, then evenings. I enjoyed it most when I got the highest production than any other on the same loader.
Pros
great pay
Cons
short breaks, forced overtime
Job security and good benefits
Supplier Quality Tech Advanced Grade (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILOctober 2, 2014
A typical work day would be checking material with spec's. to ensure a high Quality Product.
Pros
great safety program and good benefits
Cons
micromanaging
high speed work
Centerfire Cap Operator (Current Employee) –  East Alton, ILAugust 8, 2014
easy work, long days, shift work, dont know how long the company will actually be there.
Pros
get done early
Cons
shift work
production runner
Machine Operator and Production Runner (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 5, 2014
here I was an a production runner and an adjuster I made bullets and work on machines it was a good job until the soled out
fast paste great money
Cap operator (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILApril 22, 2014
I inspected government ammunition. This job was fast paste, and very specific. My co-worker were great people.
Pros
good money
Cons
dangerous job
Hard worker
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILApril 14, 2014
machinist who went the extra distance to complete orders and did about 32 to 40 hrs overtime a week(VOLUNTARILY)
fun workplace
Management Information Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSMarch 18, 2014
the most enjoyable part of my job was helping my customers on a daily basis to acheive their goals.
Very productive, enjoyable.
Boilermaker (Current Employee) –  East Alton, ILFebruary 28, 2014
Olin Corporation has been a good place to work for the past 3 years. I have enjoyed the opportunities I have had with them and would continue with them until I retire however with a pending lay off status, I am being forced to look for another job.
Pros
local, busy, fast-pace
Cons
lay off