Olin

Olin United States Employee Reviews

Factory work
Adjustor II (Former Employee), East Alton, ILApril 1, 2015
Pros: Good health insurance, close to home
Cons: Lots of overtime
Set up and maintain strict tolerances of various production machines. Learned from the best, pushed myself to be the best and exceed production goals. Did not let others poor work ethic effect my personal beliefs or goals. The worst part of the job was the weekly rotating shifts and limited advancement based on performance.
Very steady work.
Worked on alot of old school machines
General Machinist (Former Employee), Alton, IlApril 1, 2015
Enjoyed working here and learning new things about the old school machines. Was able to get alone with all co-workers. The hardest things was the drive 6 days a week.
Good pay, long hours, idiotic management
Cap operator, Quality verifier, Anneal/wash (Former Employee), East Alton, ILMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Everything else
The pay is pretty good, as are the benefits. Don't expect to get any vacation time. Forced overtime is far too common. Management/Forman don't care about employees and are willing to overlook safety issues just to make production numbers.
compensation in Il good
worker (Current Employee), East Alton, ILMarch 4, 2015
Good compensation but workers earn it. Chance for advancement slim unless you have relations in an important position or are friends with management. Union protocol circumvented on a daily basis to advance company agenda.
hard working
groupleader,annealwasher, adjuster forkliftdriver (Current Employee), east altonNovember 11, 2014
a place that i enjoy working for 23years i hate to see the company move to mississippi
Great company with very helpful people
Landscape Designer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: free breakfirst:)
OLIN has a very good design environment, all the people are very helpful with all kinds of questions.
A lot of hours, but very good pay and benefits
Adjustor II (Former Employee), East Alton, IllinoisSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: very good pay and benefits
Cons: sometimes alot of hours and overtime at short notice
Swing shift job. Overtime was not uncommon, but made for good paychecks. Learned a lot about factory and production work. Qualified on forklifts, electric pallet jacks, and over head cranes
Productive, Fast Paced, Skilled, Hands on job
CHARGER (Former Employee), East Alton, ILApril 2, 2014
Worked with explosives and small materials to assemble primers for a bullet.
Funny people
Center fire charger (Current Employee), East Alton, Il.October 23, 2013
Pros: vision bucks to buy stuff @ company store.
Cons: a lot of overtime for operators, no home life.
People who work there don't care about their job, they care about getting paid. Rarely making quota and always tired and complaining everyday. Supervisors are too friendly with the workers so a lot of work doesn't get done as it should be. People be in the restrooms using their cellphones on breaks.. No one cares...!
company is leaving
adjuster (Current Employee), East Alton, ILOctober 15, 2013
company does not care for the people working there. lots of over time. co workers are good people. willing to teach you how to do the job.
not how production has to be
Adjustor (Former Employee), Oxford, MSSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: nobody asks questions about your past because they're all criminals and assume you are too.
Cons: management flirts with you, insults you, and treats you worse than an animal.
If your IQ is enough to operate this website, you will not last at Olin. I worked there in 2012 for several months and quit abruptly due to constant insults from management. I am a small male who is extremely physically capable and intelligent, semi pro body builder and college graduate, and was constantly demeaned and insulted. They only want black employees or former crack heads who could not work anywhere else.

Every time I requested to take on more responsibilities, or be put into administration, they laughed and literally said "getting fired would give you more responsiblities if you lived on the street" AFTER my shift was over, when I had clocked out, I was assisting a fellow slave with her line duties because she had a burned hand. My boss didn't ask anything but told me to get on my own line. I said I am helping an injured fellow worker, verbatim. He walked over to me, YELLED "you f***ing smart***", grabbed me by the shirt and said "you will never act that way again". I told him not to make me feel threatened; that it was unprofessional. He said one more instance of "righteous f***ing attitude" and I am gone. I left. Don't waste your time; companies who have running ads on job sites have terrible management.
Could have been fun
Ballistics Tech. (Former Employee), OxfordFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: free lunch now and then. t-shirts.
Cons: no cell phones even at break in parking lot. parking lot traffic.
The Oxford plant didn't give me a hiring interview with a specialist from my department and offered little knowledge of what was going on. I felt I was picked off the street. The job was a lot different from what I had expected. The workers were in fear of messing up and the coordinator seemed insecure. Everybody (mostly) was nice. They didn't implement well documented training procedures, mostly word of mouth and they didn't seem to like me taking notes. The firing range portals were designed for short people. They are not open for suggestions. Nobody was an expert. Break time was taken when work lumps permitted. Small break room and a picknic table outside. The place will be a circus in full swing..
Productive and Very Professional
Lead Cleaner/Supervisor (Former Employee), Augusta, GAFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: union, good pay at entry level
Cons: layoffs
This company was well managed and the co-workers were very open and willing to help with daily tasks.
Ok place to work.
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), East Alton, ILJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: sometime the manager would bring in lunch.
Cons: short breaks and 30 minute lunch.
Olin is getting ready to move to Oxford, MS people are getting laid-off by the dozens. The work load is extreme right now - there are not enough people in each department.
Production shift work
Group Leader (Former Employee), East Alton, ILOctober 25, 2012
Hardest part of the job was dealing with the shift work and forced overtime at a moments notice. This did not leave much time for planning any type of family activities.