Olive Garden Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,952 reviews matching the search
Flexible scheduling, fun and stressful
Server (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne, FLNovember 17, 2015
A typical day...you could be triple sat before you have time to clock in, or you could come in, do some sidework and wait for your first table.

I learned a ton about patience, time management and faking it until I make it, meaning you smile, run your little butt off even if you are exhausted, going through something at home, or just not feeling it.

My experience with management at the particular Olive Garden I worked was wonderful. I truly enjoyed working with the staff, as well as the management.

The hardest part of the job is trying to make everyone happy, some people are just miserable, and nothing you do is good enough. Also,
there a ton of "server" complaints, but it is not exclusive to one restaurant in particular.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get a good tip along with a compliment, or the occasion where you get a ridiculously generous tip. I've never struggled so hard as the last few years waiting tables while going to school and raising a child alone, but the best thing was the friends I made working there.
Pros
Good tips, fun co-workers, fast pace
Cons
Bad tips, slow shifts
fun workplace with a good teamwork base
ToGo Specialist, host, bartender, server (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXApril 21, 2015
Like every job, Olive Garden of course has its ups and downs. I enjoy the job, because I have worked to get where I am today, and because I truly believe that my coworkers and managers love and look out for me, as I do for them. Its less of a job, and more of a family. As a ToGo! Specialist, I have a lot more weight and responsibility as some of the other job codes, such as servers and hosts, yet everyone still helps everyone. My only real complaint is occasionally I get out of work really, much later than I should. Not because I didn't get everything done in a timely fashion, but because I stay to help those around me. Like I said, that's just how a job is sometimes. I take the good with the bad.
Pros
Half off food, flexible hours, advancement opportunitues
Cons
Long hours, somewhat poor management
Outstanding management team.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 6, 2015
As the service manager my duties included; Training, monitoring service in the front of the house. Customer service thru talking to customers and making there service personal. Over saw Bar service, training, inventory, P & L reviews for cost control of the bar. Implemented marketing to businesses in the community for catering opportunities. Participated in Chamber of Commerce
activities and other group meetings throughout the community.
Pros
Outstanding management team.
Cons
Work hours.
Changing environment
Culinary Manager - Darden (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 25, 2015
Continuously changing every 3 months, very difficult for team members to develop expertise on new menu items before theywere changing again.
Pros
Good team members and good benefits
Cons
Work life balance, I would be called in to pick up a lemon wedge off the floor after closing the restaurant at 7am
Pays well and always busy
Server (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COFebruary 3, 2016
All in all a great place to work for cause the pay is really good and you can always get your hours. The training is excellent when you start, so they get you well educated before you start taking your tables. And the co- workers and management is really nice and respectful.
Pros
food discount and fun people to work with.
Cons
No breaks, and will work you every weekend night unless you say something
Fast paced productivity challenge
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 3, 2015
Olive Garden is a good place to practice food safety in a face-paced food service environment. There are lots of opportunities to work full time, however the job culture appeared to have yielded negligible results in terms of "turn-over rate". I personally enjoyed learning about the kitchen equipment, food preparation, and the challenge of multi-tasking.

However for me, the job did not match closely enough with my education, background, and societal aspirations pertaining to helping people in the field of nutrition and educating.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Not sustainable, hustle and bustle
Corporation that cares for it's employees
Certified Trainer/Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 4, 2016
Olive Garden takes excellent care of it's employees, no matter your title or length of employment. The level of training, skills and overall experience I received during my time there is invaluable. I loved the years I spent with this company and would return to work for them again.
Pros
Schedule, pay, benefits
Team work
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Newington, NHSeptember 3, 2015
Great place to work with flexible hours. Great Co-workers that help each other out when the going gets tough. I enjoyed meeting new people behind the bar. There was a lot of regular patrons. To work at the olive garden you really need to be able to multitask and balance your time.
Pros
Great poeople to work with. 30 Hours or more you can recieve benifits
Cons
Negative people and lack of team work at times from employees and management
Its not my favorite job.
Server (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAApril 1, 2016
The managment is inconsistant. We have a huge turnover rate, and the money is good sometimes and horrible at others. You never know how long you will work from one day to the next. I want a career based job where the possiblity to grow is there.
Pros
Half off meals.
Cons
Chaotic work enviroment, inconsistant managers.
review
Server (Current Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLNovember 17, 2015
I like to work for OG, the company has very high quality management and expectations. There are many opportunities for advancement and skill building
Pros
meal discount
Cons
very busy
Family friendly dinning
Server (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GANovember 3, 2015
Fast paced, can be unpredictable. Management could be more for the team. Promotions are limited. More part time due to fluctuations, day to day restaurant flow
Pros
Family oriented, meet new people
Cons
No growth
It is what it is
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 23, 2015
Decent place to work, money is very difficult to survive on, management good and fair, great people, guest can be difficult
Pros
schedule
Cons
Salary
Fast paced & exciting.
Bread Baker (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GAFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day at work would be baking tons of bread & getting things from the storage room. I learned how to bake bread in an oven. Management was pretty nice and all about hard work. Co-workers were very rude. The most enjoyable part of the job was having everything done in a timely manner.
Pros
Pay Day is every Friday. Direct Deposit. Breaks are long.
Cons
Food is not free.
Olive Garden Server
Sever/Caterer/To Go Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albany, GADecember 26, 2015
I enjoy working for Olive Garden. My coworkers and management are very friendly. My job as a server is very easy, but it requires a lot of multi tasking and always having a humble and positive attitude. The only down side is the unreliability of income. Sometimes people are coming out to eat, and sometimes they are not. That would also depend on the area as well.
Easy job, easy money, unsupportive management.
Server (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZMarch 18, 2016
Typical server job until you make a mistake, then the management is unhelpful and unavailable. My co-workers were a wonderful team of support and teachers, but my favorite part of the job was the customers.
Pros
discounts on food, get to pick your hours
Cons
poor management
Server pay is good but stress can be high
Server (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 18, 2016
Compared to other restaurants the amount of work servers do here is high. Endless soup or salad will have you praying your party of six all want salad as one tray only holds four soups (not including breadsticks). If you are an experienced server you can imagine how much variation this simple feature of the restaurant adds to a server's shift. There are times when one table will request three or four soup refills throughout their meal. This can mean less time for your other tables or a ticked off guest who waited too long for his fourth bowl of zuppa toscana while you were bringing out entrees for other tables. Overall it's a good place to work if you are a student looking to earn good wages with limited hours of availability.
Cons
Sick guests come in for endless soup and increase your odds of catching a cold or flu.
great place to work, postive staff members
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Gratiot, MIDecember 15, 2015
Working at Olive Garden provided me with hands on experience with costumers and a friendly work environment. I had the best training, with not only the serving job, but also learned easy ways to learn the menu, up sale new promotions, and also how to make a customer feel the best dinning experience. The best part of the job was working as a team everyday to accomplish our goals.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
healthcare
a very consistent good learning environment
Host (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 10, 2015
A typical day at Olive Garden would be greeting every single guest that walks through the door and ensuring all of their needs are met before they get seated. As I walk them back to their table I make conversation and ask them how their day is going, and I tell them to enjoy their lunch/dinner. My managers work hard and they help us out on a regular basis. As servers get busy, us hosts try to help them out as much as we can by getting drink, bread sticks and salad for their table when needed. As a host you are the first person the guest sees so it's important to have a huge smile even when you're not having the best day, some times that is the hardest part of the job. Then, you get the days where everyone is super nice and understanding, that's what I enjoy most about this job.
Pros
discounts on food, flexible hours
Cons
no benefits, no PTO
Fast paced fun job
Hostess (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2016
As a host the day pretty much went like this, in the beginning of the shift I would get updated of what servers were on and what section they were in. I would greet guests and take them to their table. I would accommodate guests depending if they needed high chairs, wheelchairs, strollers etc. 30 minute restroom checks were needed which meant picking up garbage from the floor, refilling paper towels and toilet paper. Overall as a host my duty was to welcome guests and manage the flow of the restaurant and making sure that every server got sat. The hardest part is dealing with people’s attitudes and being professional as possible. Having good communication with management is one of the most important things to do especially in situations that is completely out of your hands. Working at a restaurant you come across a lot of amazing people and overall it's a great place to work.
Pros
Flexable schedule
Cons
Low pay
High volume sales!! Often had a wait at closing time!!!
Sales/Service Manager (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick NJJune 7, 2015
The money was great but the quality of life suffered due to working at least 10 to 12 hour shifts and often working a 6th day during the week. Very proactive as far as job culture and promoting diversity.
Being an external hire instead of being promoted within held certain obstacles as far as advancement and job security in general.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work until you burn out