Olive Garden Employee Reviews

Found 3,972 reviews matching the search
Great food, great people, with a commitment to Excellence and customer delight.
Manager and General Manager (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TX and Texarkana, TXJune 21, 2016
I worked for OG for a long time, most of it enjoyable. I started as a server and quickly promoted to manager. Thru the years I served with some great managers and some not, but I learned from both experiences. Working with this team, it was clear to see the main focus was people, both the employees and the customers. With feedback attained from both customers and staff members, procedures constantly changed to meet those needs. The corporate support was phenomenal and constant; and the leadership pro-active. My most enjoyable times were when I felt supported by my immediate superiors and was very successful,and my least enjoyable time was when I felt on my own without the network support from bosses and struggled to achieve the Excellence I expected.
Pros
Beautiful atmosphere, positive focus, great food, great people, and good benefits.
Cons
High stress
Server
Server and Host (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCNovember 21, 2016
great experience for restaurant business competent wages and good benefits, but the wear and tear on your body is hard. Popular food chain with regular guidelines
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Hard work
Good part time job but certainly not a full time gig
Host (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 18, 2017
Working at Olive Garden was fun as i met plenty of fun co-workers and got the opportunity to try various different dishes and for the most part had fun. A typical day was manageable customer wise with Fridays,Saturdays,Sundays being the busiest days with large groups of people and very overwhelming at times. Management was always present everyday and helped staff in any capacity needed which certainly helped. Management initially was real good and fun especially the GM who was beyond fantastic and a very enjoyable person to work with. After the GM left management began to decline and did not improve under the new GM who was quite hit and miss. My co-workers for the most part were very enjoyable and fun to work with and we had a good time working which made the day pretty good. On the other hand servers,bussers,and management could become frustrated and upset at Host if they did not perform at a certain capacity or was not doing a good job in their opinion. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers especially on busy days which could have several parties of 20 who became upset and angry if they were not seated quickly. The pay was far from the best and the servers made good tips at certain times of the year, however in slow months servers made little to nothing and staff was cut nearly everyday. Overall this is a good place to work if you need a side job or just a job to do on your freetime since the pay is quite low and advancement is nearly non-existent and in certain times of the year it is nearly impossible for employees to make any amount of sustainable income.
Pros
Darden dimes, employees, relaxing work environment, discounted food benefits
Cons
Low pay, inconsistent hours, poor management, little to no career advancement, daily trimming of staff, high turnover of staff
Manager
SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 29, 2016
Work is long and it is very hard to staff. Compensation is good but you have to deal with a lot of unhappy customers all day.
Pros
free food
Cons
free food
Typical Restaurant
Server (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 8, 2017
Olive Garden is not a very prestigious place to work at. It's all that you can imagine a restaurant environment could feel like. A typical day consists of dealing with unhappy guests with glimpses of fun. The management shifted 13 times in my brief two and a half years stint at Olive Garden. The culture of the workplace was tight-knit but the vision of the employees is virtually non-existent. It's a dead end job for people who need quick cash. The most enjoyable part is working with people you have been able to connect with and perhaps shed some light on a seemingly hopeless dull future. The hardest part was simply being in the environment that seems as though theres nothing else to do in life but make a little money.
Pros
Cheap lunch, Quick cash
Cons
Employee turnover, high stress low-reward, lifeless environment
its productive fun enviroment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VANovember 1, 2016
Its a good work place where your able to make money and do what you have to do. They have some benefits. And plenty of hours to work.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
no real breaks
Great Starter job
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMarch 15, 2017
I worked here for a short period of time in college as a cook. Here is the jist. This is a starting job, you are expected to fullfill expectaions, show up on time and, of course do a satisfactory job at you assigned duty.

You will meet many unique people some like yourself just starting out in the work world, others who have 5+ years in the hospitality field. Use this job as a springboard into a either another field or stick in this one.
Pros
Advancement easily achievable, friendly management, and easy schedule handling
Cons
Its a hospitality job with it's ups and downs
High-Energy fast paced work environment
Server/Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 23, 2016
High energy and adaptive workplace environment. friendly staff love the co-workers. always all smiles. Very friendly atmosphere, great place to work. Management seems to always be overworked but we make due. Plus you get to meet all kinds of different people personalities, kids and more.
Pros
we have contests sometimes where you could win a free lunch of your choice, for that day.
Cons
olive garden offers a greath health benifits program as well
Very loving place, Really feels like you're a part of something.
Hostess/To-Go Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 10, 2017
While working for Olive Garden you can't let them walk all over you, and by them I mean the managers. They are notorious for scheduling you out of your availability and working you over your hours. VERY flexible hours but very tedious and physically and mentally exhausting work.
Pros
Great working environment and a lot of fun with the right people.
Cons
Too many long hours for not enough pay.
Decent wages with good benefits
Line Cook - Appetizers & Grill (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 23, 2016
Nothing more to add to the above summary. I do not discuss negative aspects of employment. I am just not very happy with the work environment at Olive Garden.
Benefits
Cons
Unprofessional work environment
It's a high pace workplace, fun and keeps you busy
Hostess and Busser (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NYJanuary 20, 2017
Working at Olive Garden has taught me to work with a lot of people in a small area. On weekends, everyone is helping each other out as much as possible but also trying not to run into each other. We have excellent managers who are very flexible with scheduling and who also take their job seriously but can have fun while doing it. It takes a little time to get used to all of the Italian dishes they serve and how to pronounce. The hardest part of the job is trying to please the guests as well as all of your coworkers by helping while you try and get your own stuff done. My favorite part of working there is that I have found my closest friends working there and it was very rewarding when a guests and managers complement your work.
Pros
Excellent work staff, and the food
Cons
Long hours some days, relying on others to show up to their shift
Olive Garden Review
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARAugust 17, 2016
Olive Garden was such a great first job for me! It was such a happy and upbeat environment, my co-workers and bosses were a delight, and the benefits for the part time employees were outstanding. Cleaning the bathrooms was the hardest thing about my job at Olive Garden, but other than that my job there was a delight!
Benefits
Cons
Bathrooms
Very Good
Server, Bartender, Bartender Trainer (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIFebruary 24, 2017
Working at Olive Garden was beyond good. It was great.
A typical day would be arriving at work, and greeting individuals coming through the doors, then providing service to them.
Through my time at Olive Garden I definitely learned the skill of time management, quick reactions, and critical thinking.
The workplace culture of Olive Garden was great. There was always a great group of staff that you worked with on a day to day basis.
The hardest part of the job would sometimes be the customer.
The most enjoyable part of the job would also be the customers, but it would also include the team that I was working with.
Offers a great variety of benefits to employees
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Being a corporate company this business offers its employees an abundance of great health benefits as well as other types of benefits to ensure future financial security.
Fast working environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 4, 2017
I've learned quite a few thing working at Olive Garden, for example how to maintain a systematic working pace that allowed all dishes to be simultaneously ready to be served. From my managers not just did I learn various ways to attend to my station, but also how to properly behave in a stressful work situation. The workers at Olive Garden were and are very supportive and incentive which not just made work easier but granted a desire to work harder. But overall the most enjoyable part of work was when I saw all dishes carried out and had a feeling that our customers would be pleased for the time and presentation and it goes without say the charismatic servers I have had the pleasure of working with at Olive Garden
patients is a must for waitress positions
Waitress, Togo Specialist, Hostess (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAApril 28, 2016
A typical work day, check in with host or manger on your table section table section is rotated by your work experience. Assist tables with happiness and welcoming personality attend at every need or the best of your ability.
what I've learned is the importance of organization, multi-tasting, and customer service.
Managers are friends understanding and always willing to help.
Hardest part of job is having to be patient, with customers, co workers, and my self.
enjoyable part of my job is my collies and great rewards from guest, aka.tips
Pros
tips, flexible schedule.
Cons
little to no breaks, no raises, no benefits.
interesting dynamic
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAApril 13, 2016
I honestly feel the job would have been more satisfactory if the leaders were invested in everything they did. While some were positive and ready to lead, others just assumed the role of "boss", and it quickly became a lackluster work place. Employees were unhappy, however, management was unwilling to change to make a more positive , consistent environment. It was more of a "passing the time to get off the clock" atmosphere, instead of positive morale, leadership, & an upbeat environment.
Upper management was hypercritical of hires, making transitions, and work environment enjoyable.
Standards were regularly overlooked, and questionable decisions were made.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, and Employee potential.
Cons
AMAZING. serving pay is pretty bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Warrensville Heights, OHJanuary 18, 2017
Everything about working for this brand was great to me. I literally only was there less than 2 months and LOVED those around me including majority of the management and coworkers and definitely the guests. Only downfalls to this was me being new basically. I was unfortunately let go but in my defense I'd say it was due to something I had not been trained on but I won't fault the company because of that. The other downfall being the pay of a server even including tips. Me being new to the server position, I wasn't aware of low pay rate so I went from $9.50 an hr to only $4.10 an hour and even with weekly pay it didn't equate to much of def work there again. The positive energy was well needed and you'd love to work at this location most likely!
Pros
Environment, Daily pay, esp the cash tips each night ! & discounted meals
Cons
Pay as server, doubles only get breaks, 4 /5 shifts
Great place to eat and work.
Server (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 8, 2017
Olive garden is a great place to work and eat. Great food, great job!
Everyone works hard there. Its a friendly place to work. You can always pick up more shifts to work . Very easy to trade shifts and get the time off or more shifts. Management is for the most part good. Do your job well and they will like you. Don't be a complainer or be complicated. Your there to make money, so enjoy it. I would say the refills people need is the hardest part of the job. Keeping up with the refill on the soda and ice tea bread, soup. and salad..I learned more multitasking skills here than ever.. It is fast pace and everyone works as a team,. You can make a lot of money serving. Everyone who works there gets along well.It is like a family.
Pros
Half offf food
Fast paced, fun working environment.
Host (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIJanuary 11, 2017
I walked in, clocked in put on my headset, talk with other hosts/hostess to see what's going on and if there are any parties coming in.
I learned how to roll silverware and communicate better with people.
The management was good, but sometimes they didn't always communicate so they would schedule people on the same days instead of spacing it out.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with everyone at fist but I got the hang of it.
The most enjoyable part was talking to and meeting new people.
Pros
Fast paced (depending on who you are), team oriented, good pay, get to meet new people.
Cons
Lack of communication, asked to do things that isn't your job, cleaning the women's restroom when there are female hosts there to do it, management not strict enough with lazy employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olive Garden. Our community is ready to answer.