Ollie's Bargain Outlet Employee Reviews

Terrible company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NYJanuary 15, 2017
There is no organization and district managers and corporate give no guidance and assistance. Treat employees like garbage and do not adhere to labor policies. They overload the stores with too much work and no hours making it impossible without working 60+ hrs as a salaried manager. They lie about raises and pay rates and do not follow thru with promises even those in writing. Stay away from this company.
Cons
Corporate does not provide necessary guidance and tools to be equipped to do the job.
Constantly busy store but was not a good work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAJanuary 5, 2017
Started out great when I started working there had a lot of great hours and loved everyone I worked with and got along with everyone. Was promoted to customer service but turned it down due to thinking about going back to school. Then weeks later everyone in the store got less and less hours (including me). And at the time I needed full time job but not extra responsibilities because I was not sure when I was going to go back to school.
Pros
Met a lot of great people. Worked together as a team.
Cons
Hours were getting cut.
Love wor
Cashier/Stock/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, FLJanuary 16, 2017
I'm a people's person I love working with and and assistanting other to make a different even what ever I made be doing to jeep a smile on their face which makes my day go even better. When some aren't being treated fair, I feel its my duty to help the that may need my assistance, then I'll take the person that couldn't perform they job task as they should I'll take to a manger or supervisor on duty and not handle the coworker myself.
Unachevable expections.
Co team leader (Former Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 19, 2016
Trying to achieve door to floor on minimum payroll not possible. No work life balance have to work at least 6 or 7 days 10 or more hours a day to attempt to meet goals. STL has no idea what it takes to run a store and adds to the work load. Upper management not taking care of store team with minimal compensation or none at all. Impossible to receive a bonus with the requirements implemented. Overall appearance of stores with cedar blocks and plywood for tables looks horrible. Floors aren't maintained. The only pro is the discount and the associates.
Pros
Discount and employees
Cons
Everything.
It's hard work but very rewarding
Store Management (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 14, 2016
The company has a literal family feel to it. The CEO and RVP's don't treat the leadership team like they are not valued. Pay starts small but the advancement opportunities are always available. The focus is the freight! 24 hrs to get all of it out. I've done 16 years big box retailer and Ollies is nothing like I've ever seen. If you love hard work, a lot of freight, and sometimes tight payroll, I would definitely recommend coming along for the ride!
Pros
Family discount, daily customer interaction
Cons
Tight payroll, A LOT of freight
Great first job!
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  N Charleston, SCNovember 10, 2016
Ollie's Bargain outlet is a great job whether it be your first one or just seeking a place with wonderful customers and great employees. Working as a Customer Service Associate is pretty easy, but I wouldn't recommend it if you cannot stand for long periods of time because being a CSA, you will be required to stay on the front end at all time unless you're on a break/lunch. As for a regular associate, your days would be spent either working a register, straightening shelves, and helping unload trucks.
Overall, a horrible place to work.
Store Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 1, 2016
Unless you're willing to work 6 or 7 days a week, for the majority of the year, this is not the job for you. Payroll is to low, you never have enough help to do what is being asked, and there is no support from above.
Best time I had there was when my DM had quit. Saw no one from upper mgmt for 3 months. Store ran smoothly, freight, was current, sales were up, customers were happy. New DM comes in and right back to being a miserable job.
Could be a promising company with the right leadership
Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 13, 2017
Unable to have my knowledge,skills and abilities valued by department head. My direct manager was great in motivation and understanding. Very juvenile attitudes lead to frustration. Turnover is outrageous. I was able to work with district managers that were great and receptive to feedback.
Pros
Nice discount
Cons
Unappreciated
great co-workers. okay mangers
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  albertville alJanuary 12, 2017
Some of the manger was great, while others wasn't. some mangers taught you things and and some talked down to you and embarrassed you in front of employees and customers. it depends on the manger that you work with. some times i couldn't be happier with the place that i work and i couldn't of had a better day.
Pros
some free lunches
Cons
bad management
Crowded and overwhelming environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  GaineSeptember 26, 2016
A typical day at work is, I come in and start straightening shelves making sure they're stocked properly. When closing time came around I would make sure all of the carts were out of the parking lot, sweep the store, and clean the bathrooms. I occasionally worked the cash register. Management clearly had a biased opinion, and had obvious favorites. Although I was one of their favorites, it's still wrong and shouldn't be that way.
Pros
Occasional free food in the break room
Cons
Short breaks
job or career
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PA 15601September 22, 2016
I really enjoyed working at ollies, good management wasn't afraid to get their hands dirty, my co workers were the same. We were a good team while I was there, times do change. I always enjoyed the customers, I was the Book/ stationary Supervisor was able to use my ideas and creativity to reset the whole department as long as it followed company guidelines. Good company to advance into, benefits were not that great when I was there, but pay I thought was pretty decent at the time.
Pros
good company to advance
Cons
benefits could be better
busy job with limited benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NCOctober 3, 2016
I spent most days responsible for day to day operations such as customer service , answering the phone , and doing returns. I learned how to multi-task and how to take care of large sums of money. Management was not forthcoming with pertinent information. the most enjoyable part of the job was trying to tend to the needs of various customers.
Pros
hours
Cons
being misinformed
Great products and prices you never know what the next great deal is
Co-Manager/Manager (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 14, 2016
Ollies is a fast pace work enviroment, customers and employees love to see what is coming in on every truck it is like a treasure hunt with constant changing products at great prices. Must be able to think quick on merchandising due to ever changing products, always have a plan on what to move and to where for a happy shopping experience for our customer.
Pros
job security and benefis
Cons
work life balance for management
a place for hard working people
Freight Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GA 30529September 13, 2016
After working for tow years here I saw many people come and go. The ones that stay are very reliable and friendly workers always willing to help. The work atmosphere is enjoyable thanks to the people that work there. The management is willing to listen, but they don't have the final saying on every decision regarding most complains and suggestions. The reason being that most complains come from a broken point system that makes the workers feel unappreciated. Another problem was communication, at times when everyone was looking for an answer on weather or not overtimes was going to be mandatory or how long after their eight hours they had to stay it was hard to get a straight answer from somebody.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Unorganized
team members
Department supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 18, 2016
when a team member would take time off, they wont put no one in the department to help out with getting product out, so when the person would get back, that person would have to work more harder to get caught up if you can. The other team member wasn't allowed to help out . they need more team members to help each other and not let each help .
Great retail experience gained
Front End Guest Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJSeptember 8, 2016
Fast pace and fun environment to work in. Management was great and easy to communicate with. I gain some great customer service skills as well as supervisor skills. Co-workers were good workers. The hardest part of the job was hours not being flexible enough and difficult customers. The best part of this job is successfully having your customers leave with a smile on their face.
interesting
Co- Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 27, 2016
Ollies is different. its ever changing product make for a interesting work environment. its employees can be friendly but there is a lot of turnover i guess that comes with retail. there is a lot of room for advancement if your welling to put the time in and do the work.
Pros
changing work enviroment
Cons
long work days
Good summer job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, PA 16830August 30, 2016
Ollie's Bargain outlet was a decent summer job. I typically would get around 20-25 hours of work a week, which meant I got a lot of free time, but I did not earn much money for the summer. My wage was $7.50 per hour. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the job itself was fairly easy. The only thing negative about working there would be the occasional hard to please customers. I learned how to use the cash register pretty quickly and that is where I spent most of my hours. Sometimes I would stock the shelves or help a customer locate an item. Occasionally I would sweep the floor or clean the office and bathroom. It was overall a good job for the summer.
Good Overall
Store Team Leader (Current Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 12, 2016
Believe the company has a great business model but still has some things work on. It may just be in my region or district but there is too much being reactive instead of being proactive. Being proactive would better provide a more suitable work life balance and keep from burning managers out.
Pros
Great business model
Cons
Work life balance
day goes by fast always something to do
Co-Teamleader (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VANovember 11, 2016
Typical work day involved freight and customer service.Best part of job is 20% employee discount and family feeling as store have 22 to 30 employees. Toughest part of job is communication from home office is late sometime and unreasonable at times. Freight flow can be a challenge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ollie's Bargain Outlet. Our community is ready to answer.