Olympic College Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work, low advancement.
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAOctober 26, 2015
I learned a lot about the colleges work life and procedures. I did feel that some things were very unorganized and following procedures were not always inforced. The most enjoyable part of working here were the people. I worked in a very diverse enviorment which suits me perfectly. I enjoyed meeting and interacting with new people from all over the world. Overall it's a good place to work but advancing is almost non-exsistant unless you have friends or family that currently work there.
Pros
Good people in a diverse enviorment
Cons
No room for advancement
Terrible work
Campus Safety (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 18, 2016
I worked in security as a part time guard and was let go due to the Sgt being threatened by my performance and trying to take over the department because he sucks at his job! He gave me bs reasons as to my termination and accused 3 of my closest coworkers of lying about me.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No training
Great Learning Experience
Office Assistant/Safety and Security (Former Employee) –  1600 Chester AveNovember 4, 2015
I worked for Olympic College Security when I went to school there. I was an office assistant. I did data entry, filing, dispatching, and parking permits. It was a great job but my supervisor wasn't a great person to get along with and some of the co-workers weren't very friendly. I got along with other co-workers and I liked learning how to do customer service.
Pros
Great Learning, Friendly, Stern
Cons
Needs friendlier supervisor
Dirty work
Grounds Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 16, 2015
The department of grounds for olympic college was drastically lacking employees. They short handed the supervisor but expected the all the daily job duties to be done. Unrealistic, and they took people out of there homes to build a parking lot they cant even maintain.
Pros
Outside work
Cons
DOC workers took over the department
I enjoyed the job, the employer and specificially my superviser, however the position was never going to become full-time or provide benefits.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 26, 2014
Each day was different and exciting. I gained a wealth of knowledge from being with quite diverse environment. My supervisor was forthright and encouraging of everyone around her. I regret leaving employment there but I needed full-time employment and benefits for my family.
Pros
diverse, fun, educating in multi-cultures
Cons
part-time employment without benefits
Fun and relaxing workplace.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAAugust 13, 2015
Working at Olympic College was fun and enjoyable, the work environment was relaxed and casual. I learned how to operate different computer systems, answer customer questions in a helpful manner, and to provide campus tours. My co-workers were for the most part very enjoyable to work with and I have developed close friendships with them. My boss was fair and easygoing and gave all of us the freedom to create work schedules to our needs. The hardest part of the job was learning how to communicate with customers, once learned it was the most enjoyable.
Pros
Lots of freedom in scheduling, convenient, and fun.
Cons
Part-time, only 18 hours a week.
Student Worker
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAOctober 2, 2015
Great start to a professional career, low key & very helpful. A typical day at work consisted of creating & printing certificates as well as answering inquiries.
Pros
Flexible around school schedule
Good place to learn a variety of Information systems
ITV MEDIA TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Poulsbo, WAFebruary 26, 2015
A typical day would be troubleshooting media gear for distance learning classes. Repairing or installing new hardware that is failing and causing problems with class learning. Management at the college is great, advancement is very limited as well as hours so I am in search of another position. All co-workers that I have interacted with have been a great group of people and I have gained some kind of knowledge from every one of them. The hardest part of this job is keeping the equipment working at the same level that the students and teacher expect everyday. I enjoy learning about the new systems implemented each quarter or year as well as the interaction between the instructors/students.
Pros
learning about new equipment
Cons
not enough hours, no advancement opportunities
A stepping stone.
ESD Worker Retraining Program Student (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 19, 2014
This was school and I learned a lot about film directing and video production. The hardest part was going through 2 years of being broke, only having enough to get by. The most enjoyable part was graduating with a sense of accomplishment to do something I've always wanted.
Pros
learning
Cons
pay and benifits
excellent service to children
Office Assistant/Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 27, 2015
Respectful co-workers, very helpful. Team work. I loved the assistance and service offered to the children, and being part of that team.
Friendly environment
Adjunct English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAMay 12, 2015
I enjoyed working for this college for the most part. Colleagues were friendly and helpful. Everyone puts the students first.

I taught English 101 and 102 as an adjunct, both in classrooms and online. An adjunct at this college needs to be self-reliant and flexible. They should also be willing to teach high-school age students, who make up over half of the average class.
Pros
Student oriented
Cons
No employment security
enjoyable place and diversity of cultures to interact with
Instruction Classroom Support Tech (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 21, 2014
A typical night at work consists of me arranging tables to suit our students. Make copies for the instructor. Sit and listen to the instructor teach the English language as a second language to the students. It is hard for me not to interject my opinion on how to remember certain phrases or words. The most enjoyable part is really watching the students learn and get excited about learning. Mainly because it is at the college and we deal with adults who want to better their English for jobs and possibly going on to college.
Pros
the students and the instructor and my bosses
Cons
not enough hours to live on
The resources are enjoyable and beneficial.
IT Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJanuary 3, 2014
It was busy in the morning but not so much in the afternoon. My customer service skills and patience had improved. The management was well organized and my co-workers had good team work. The hardest part of the job was when I wanted to help but I couldn't and I just had to wait until the internet connection was fixed. It's difficult if there's a technical problem. But the most enjoyable was when people appreciated me. A simple thank you from them always makes me happy.
Great Professors, not so great admin.
Student (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAAugust 28, 2013
The classroom size is small, so there is ample opportunity for students to ask more questions during scheduled class periods. The tutoring centers help for study groups to go, and for the most part, the tutors are a good help. Although, when dealing with scholarships, financial aid, etc., the administration is not very helpful. I was told that people didn't know who I needed to talk about to get questions answered. It also took several months for the school to pay me back for the extra money they were charging me. Another word of advice is to check with whatever school a student may be transferring to, because not all of the classes will transfer. Even if you are getting an AA degree, it is NOT guaranteed that all courses will be transferred, so if you take a class that won't, it was a waste of time and money. Beware of this. Students here are welcome to start study groups, and they will definitely boost grades. Working as a team rather than alone helps if anyone has a question or needs something explained.
Pros
good staff
Cons
administration.
Welding Tool Crib Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 12, 2015
working here is a lively and always busy. it keeps you on your toes and constantly learning. i extensively enjoy welding as a part of my job.
Campus reduced in what is offered due to poor economy.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJuly 2, 2012
Due to State financial crisis, schools are losing programs they would normally keep. This school is no different. Where funds might have been directed to viable, educational programs; they were diverted to buildings and the unions who constructed them.
Pros
there are some very good-hearted people who work there.
Cons
too many bureaucrats and not enough teachers. too pc.
Productive and comfortable environment, great staff and faculty
Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 20, 2012
I enjoy going to work every morning, the people I work with are amazing and the enviornment is welcoming. My experience here has helped my confidence and communication skills vastly. The most enjoyable part of my day is talking with my customers and co-workers. The pace is fast but the student satisfaction is rewarding.
Excellent instructors and education
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJune 27, 2013
This was a highly competitive program. The instructors were amazing and supportive. The simulation lab added real life practice situations to prepare us for our future in nursing.
A fun and important oppurtunity cut short
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympic College, WAJune 27, 2013
I enjoyed teaching and assisting students in their creative projects. This challenged me to learn more about the programs used (Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator).
Pros
i enjoy stretching my creative legs.
Cons
due to budget cuts, the job was only funded for one school year.
Decent place to work, poor advancement potential
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 17, 2014
Only openings are when someone retires.
Strong union and government employment...