OLYMPIC STEEL

OLYMPIC STEEL United States Employee Reviews

operator
CRANE & FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Milford, CTApril 1, 2015
Pros: great hours
Cons: working in the cold
great place to work for good hours relationships with management was great.

offered lots of overtime every week for employees
Bad foreman with very little chance of advancement.
Shop Helper (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNMarch 14, 2015
Pros: there is a lot of overtime available.
Cons: racism against anyone not protected by the naacp.
This is the most racist company I've ever worked at. Racist against anyone not protected by the NAACP. If you are white you will not be treated as well as other races. They also play favorites regardless of race.
This company simply does not care about it's employees.
Machine Shop Production Scheduler (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: steady work, 40+ hours a week in a semi-clean environment, good learning opportunity for a low-skill or entry-level production worker.
Cons: little advancement opportunity, poor benefits, poor attendance policy, poorly managed, high turnover rate of employees.
-Safety is only an issue when corporate is pushing it, or is around to see it. If safety is affecting productivity negatively, safety will take a back seat.
-Management is adept at best, often unaware of recurring issues causing loss of money/productivity. As well as playing "favorites", toward family members of current managers.
-When asking the HR rep about the details of the dental insurance program, I was told "no dental insurance is good dental insurance." This speaks for itself, I hope.
-Benefit deductibles have been increased steadily over the past 5 years, while providing less and less doctors who provide coverage.
-Health initiatives have been taken to increase health awareness for Olympic Steel's employees. Which is good when applied correctly, but here it is being forced on employees. Penalizing smokers $5/week extra for insurance, forcing physical exams (including detailed blood screens and BMI readings) in order to be insured through the company, while continuing to sell nothing but fatty snack foods to it's employees in the lunch rooms.
-Bonuses are given out as "sick-pay" at the end of the year, so employees pay taxes on them rather than the employing company paying those taxes. There is no way to earn pay when calling off sick.
-When calling off sick, there is no avenue for having sick days without accruing "points" toward their attendance/tardiness system.
-"Point" system offers several avenues for building up points, with almost no way to reduce them, short of absolute perfect attendance.
-Mandatory weekend overtime is often given out on short notice, leaving – more... little time to plan around it. Missed overtime days accrue "points".
-Advancement is possible within Olympic Steel, but there is a very low cap as to how high up the "ladder" you can climb without a degree. They do not base advancement opportunities on work performance whatsoever.
-Some supervisors have had title changes without their knowledge or consent because they did not meet the job requirements that were adjusted after they had gotten the positions. (Years after in
one case that I know of.) – less
Very stress full and fast paced
Insides Sales Representative (Former Employee), Plymouth, MNFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: some good people to work with
Cons: dress code, management does not spend money to help make you more efficient.
Typical work day has you entering orders/ talking to plant personal/ and quoting customers and letting customers know their orders will be late. Training is terrible, their software is outdated, and they expect you to multi-task with only one monitor.
You work very hard for very little pay and I always had the feeling I would be let go at any given time.
Great group of people to work with
Foreman (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and bonuses
Cons: the salary is too low.
I have really enjoyed working for Olympic Steel. My co-workers make the job fun and enjoyable. We all work together very well. I have learned many new things about manufacturing to include how to deal with sales, programmers, and operators. The hardest part of the job is the communication between shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety. Each day provides new challenges.
Potential through the roof,not being acheived though
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee), Bettendorf, IANovember 26, 2014
Pros: a few good managers, and coworkers, that really cared about their job and the people that supported them.
Cons: poor people skills in regards to management, so busy that i received no breaks or even uninterupted lunches. stress level very high.
This company has the unlimited potential to become one of the most productive companies in the area, however, poor employee relations and over-commitment has them reeling back on their heels constantly.
They have trouble training and keeping full staff which cripples them as a company and is a huge frustration to it's employees that do want the company to succeed.
Low compensation and the inability to follow and achieve their business plan, leaves many questions whether its the management selection, or the business plan itself that is the problem.
Five Operation Managers and Five General managers in five years would indicate the problem is deeper than front line supervision and their employees.
High turnover rate.
fun place to work
Shotblast (Current Employee), Mount Sterling, KYNovember 23, 2014
I start my day but check off my cranes, machine and my equipment.Then i check the computer to see what jobs i have to do that day.

I learned how to run the shot blast machine,and how to use a hardness tester.

I like my bosses they are fair,and quick to tell me if i am doing something wrong.

I enjoy working with my co worker they make the day go by a lot faster.We have fun and joke around.

The hardest part of my job is picking up the metric plates and taking them to the machine.

The people i work with.
Good company to work for
Inside Sales (Former Employee), plymouth minnesotaOctober 24, 2014
Pros: paid well
Cons: shop/warehouse is union
Last worked here more than ten years ago. Over all a good place to work. I worked as a shop helper then as a inside sales rep. Managers in place at the time were open and receptive to ideas on how to improve products and processes.
Safe place to work.
Lead Man Over Packers (Current Employee), Winder, GaOctober 14, 2014
Over all olympic Steel is a good place to work. It has a decent environment. Good benefits come along with it. Just a little underpaid though
The good and the bad
Shop Helper (Former Employee), Moses Lake, WAOctober 1, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and awesome co-workers
Cons: will fire you whether they have a good reason or not
While the pay is nice and the co-workers are awesome, I wouldn't suggest applying to it right away without carefully considering this important factor: The company is generally unstable and dysfunctional and will fire you if they deem it necessary, regardless of seniority and work effort.

With that said, it's not a bad company and I do recommend them. (but only to those who need quick cash and plan on finding another job within 5-6 months)
Olympic Steel
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PASeptember 3, 2014
Tool room has next to nothing in it. Everything you need you never had on hand. Very Unsafe environment. I don't recommend this to anybody.
Not a good place to work at
Unknown (Current Employee), Bettendorf, IAAugust 7, 2014
If you want a place of advancement this is not the place for you, poor management, lack of communication starting from upper management, poor pay scale.
Very Unsafe, Unhealth, Disaterous Work Enviroment
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: negative
Cons: one break, poor work environment, very unsafe, unheatly
Olympic steel was the worst place I have ever worked in my life. I wouldn't recommend it to even my worst enemy, Three people in the hospital in three weeks because they made us use faulty equipment. Dust collectors and exhaust fans don't work so we were forced to breathe in harsh steel dust. Poor attitude of foreman's. Less than honest pay. ALL AROUND HORRIBLE! ... OSHA needs to preform surprise inspection.
A little input
Corporate Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), Bedford Hts, OHJuly 2, 2014
I enjoyed working at Olympic. I gained a lot of knowledge that I was able to take with me for future opportunities.
A relaxed enviroment with a lot of opportunties to grow.
Sourcing Specialist/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TX.July 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of calling customers to obtain any inquiries they need quoted. My co-workers and the management is a pleasure to work with. The most stressful part of the job is trying to find material at the best price with the best delivery date. I do however, really enjoy the relationships that you get to build with the customers.
Very productive and obtaining great experience
Chipper (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNJune 18, 2014
A typical day will consist filling out your paper work for that specific
job. checking your work station to make sure everything is working properly like (Air Hose, Air Grinder/ ID Grinder, Crane, Crane's chain, ect) whip the steel to get the debris off, place magnets on the steel, lift slowly, place blocks to hold it up then start chipping. after your done chipping, take air grinder and grind the edges. then you do it again for the next part.
I've learned alot about how metal is cut, welded and grinded that i never knew. I learned how to take Camber on certain pieces of steel, how to make skids to place pieces on, to be reliable by ordering and getting the parts to various companies.
The hardest part is lifting the steel off the blocks using the magnets and moving it to where it needs to be
not an ideal place to work
Machinist (Former Employee), Bettendorf, IAMay 28, 2014
Pros: make great friends in you coworkers
if you're looking for somewhere to work to add more experience then this it the place for you. There are no advancement opportunities at all you are only given the chance to learn new things on a need to know basis!! The less you know the less they have to pay you. Just don't do it!!
Poor Work Environment
worker (Former Employee), anyMay 9, 2014
This company is a mess. Unorganized, poor work instructions/training, unethical management, lack of leadership. Pay is not good, making promises that cannot be met. They have the wrong people in place, unexperienced management. They play mind games and retaliate and there is no place for that in the work place.
Relaxed and fun place to work.
Leadman/Supervisor (Current Employee), Mt.Sterling, KYApril 15, 2014
Can be challenging at times, for the most part you just have to focus and your job will be so much easier.
Fun Productive place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee), Lester, PAApril 10, 2014
Management was great.Job culture was great.would have loved to continue working there

1 2 3

About OLYMPIC STEEL

Olympic Steel has bypassed gold, silver, and bronze in favor of carbon, coated, and stainless steel. A steel service center, Olympic – Read more

OLYMPIC STEEL Salaries