Olympic Steel Employee Reviews

Look out
Operator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNSeptember 3, 2016
This place will backstab you and weasal they're way around to intentionally get you fired. You would think that by reading that first line that i would be a angry ex employee, i however thank them for they're time. I spent 4 years in this place and was an operator for 3 of them. The problem with the company is they can do no wrong, they never look within the company to see if maybe the operations manager is the biggest problem. In the 5 years our contract was intact they had 85 people come and go. I know this because i was the union rep and sat in the union contract meetings. And since those meetings about 40% of the 2nd tier has been let go on false accusations or quit. They installed a 2 tier pay scale with a 4 dollar an hour differnce. If olympic reads this or any potential employees be very careful working here and watch out for the name joe roberts. He runs it like a prison and then wonders why he gets a room full of inmates. Just use it as a stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things like i did.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Point system. Foremans hiding in coils. Pay scale
They will hire you on when they get way too much work then they can Handel and fire you before your 90 day review.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Siler City, NCJuly 26, 2016
Worst place I've worked in my life, management is non existing. Better off going to a temp service, because at least they will help u find another job after u get laid off.
Pros
Most of the employees are really nice
Cons
Upper management is a joke
Enjoy the work that i do plenty of opportunities
CNC Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Winder, GAJuly 18, 2016
Nice place to work alot great opportunities for a person to learn new things, great place to build a career. The benefits are great but when it comes to pay raises, that's not always a guarantee.
Pros
Paid lunches and breaks
Cons
Only 2 breaks a day
the job was good it helped me out alot when i was going threw a rough patch in life everyone there is nice and treat you with the most respect ever
Chipper/Grinder (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAMay 21, 2016
i learned how to drive a forklift and how to use overhead crane also got to load trucks and all together its just a good job for anyone
Stay away!
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTApril 20, 2016
Olympic Steel would be a decent company to work for if they paid better. They pay criminally low wages for the dangerous work that you do there. They changed my work schedule on a fly and then reprimanded me for not keeping up with the changes. The crane was extremely old and should have been replaced decades ago. They machines are so old that the company who made them hasnt been around in over 20 years so when it breaks down, they have to fabricate new parts to fix it. This company can go kick rocks.
Pros
free most of the day
Cons
extremely low pay, stressful, very dangerous, 40+ year old machines
Provided many years with growing experience
Business System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PANovember 11, 2015
I was able to learn many aspects of the business during my 17 years of employment. Working environment was very pleasant for many of years with a great understanding of work life balance.
Very fun place to work
Grinder (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYOctober 14, 2015
Nice people, hard workers willing to help if needed, always work smarter not harder. They had very good hours. I would go in grind the steel and weld when they needed
didnt work there very long
CRANE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  bettendorf iowaSeptember 27, 2015
i got laid off at the end of my 90 days. just as i was getting the hang of it. i was only shown how to do certain things on the old computer system once but couldnt figure it out quick enough.
Pros
safety milestone lunches
Cons
bad training
Its a ok job
Packer (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAJune 16, 2015
This job is a ok job, just too much work for little paid. This job is just like every other job, go in everyday and work then come home but i did learn a lot at this work place. I learned how to use a crane and drive a forklift and learned how to operate press brake machine, one good thing about this job is just the team work. I like to work as a team and communicate with other workers. All the co-worker is nice and ok, everyone get along and work as a team. Theres nothing hard about this job because we have all the all these equipment to help us pick up heavy parts. One thing about this job is that its not really organize.
Pros
Pay during lunch
Cons
short break
Productive fast paced enviroment.
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg PaApril 28, 2015
Assist with daily meeting in qulaity standards. Check all defect materials in which have been processed back into Olympic Steel. Inspection of first articles and proper documentation of pieces. Random inspections of production and assist with any quality questions.Inspect shipments out going for proper material and placement of material. Assist in training of employees for proper use of calibration instruments. Assist in corrective actions needed A3,8D, fishbone,etc. Maintianing that all data has been properly and efficectively procecced. Ensured all ISO procedures and policyies are followed.
operator
CRANE & FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTApril 1, 2015
great place to work for good hours relationships with management was great.

offered lots of overtime every week for employees
Pros
great hours
Cons
working in the cold
This company simply does not care about it's employees.
Machine Shop Production Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 25, 2015
-Safety is only an issue when corporate is pushing it, or is around to see it. If safety is affecting productivity negatively, safety will take a back seat.
-Management is adept at best, often unaware of recurring issues causing loss of money/productivity. As well as playing "favorites", toward family members of current managers.
-When asking the HR rep about the details of the dental insurance program, I was told "no dental insurance is good dental insurance." This speaks for itself, I hope.
-Benefit deductibles have been increased steadily over the past 5 years, while providing less and less doctors who provide coverage.
-Health initiatives have been taken to increase health awareness for Olympic Steel's employees. Which is good when applied correctly, but here it is being forced on employees. Penalizing smokers $5/week extra for insurance, forcing physical exams (including detailed blood screens and BMI readings) in order to be insured through the company, while continuing to sell nothing but fatty snack foods to it's employees in the lunch rooms.
-Bonuses are given out as "sick-pay" at the end of the year, so employees pay taxes on them rather than the employing company paying those taxes. There is no way to earn pay when calling off sick.
-When calling off sick, there is no avenue for having sick days without accruing "points" toward their attendance/tardiness system.
-"Point" system offers several avenues for building up points, with almost no way to reduce them, short of absolute perfect attendance.
-Mandatory weekend overtime is often given out on short notice, leaving
  more... little time to plan around it. Missed overtime days accrue "points".
-Advancement is possible within Olympic Steel, but there is a very low cap as to how high up the "ladder" you can climb without a degree. They do not base advancement opportunities on work performance whatsoever.
-Some supervisors have had title changes without their knowledge or consent because they did not meet the job requirements that were adjusted after they had gotten the positions. (Years after in
one case that I know of.)
Pros
steady work, 40+ hours a week in a semi-clean environment, good learning opportunity for a low-skill or entry-level production worker.
Cons
little advancement opportunity, poor benefits, poor attendance policy, poorly managed, high turnover rate of employees.
Very stress full and fast paced
Insides Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNFebruary 9, 2015
Typical work day has you entering orders/ talking to plant personal/ and quoting customers and letting customers know their orders will be late. Training is terrible, their software is outdated, and they expect you to multi-task with only one monitor.
You work very hard for very little pay and I always had the feeling I would be let go at any given time.
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
dress code, management does not spend money to help make you more efficient.
Great group of people to work with
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 22, 2015
I have really enjoyed working for Olympic Steel. My co-workers make the job fun and enjoyable. We all work together very well. I have learned many new things about manufacturing to include how to deal with sales, programmers, and operators. The hardest part of the job is the communication between shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety. Each day provides new challenges.
Pros
benefits and bonuses
Cons
the salary is too low.
Potential through the roof,not being acheived though
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IANovember 26, 2014
This company has the unlimited potential to become one of the most productive companies in the area, however, poor employee relations and over-commitment has them reeling back on their heels constantly.
They have trouble training and keeping full staff which cripples them as a company and is a huge frustration to it's employees that do want the company to succeed.
Low compensation and the inability to follow and achieve their business plan, leaves many questions whether its the management selection, or the business plan itself that is the problem.
Five Operation Managers and Five General managers in five years would indicate the problem is deeper than front line supervision and their employees.
High turnover rate.
Pros
a few good managers, and coworkers, that really cared about their job and the people that supported them.
Cons
poor people skills in regards to management, so busy that i received no breaks or even uninterupted lunches. stress level very high.
fun place to work
Shotblast (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYNovember 23, 2014
I start my day but check off my cranes, machine and my equipment.Then i check the computer to see what jobs i have to do that day.

I learned how to run the shot blast machine,and how to use a hardness tester.

I like my bosses they are fair,and quick to tell me if i am doing something wrong.

I enjoy working with my co worker they make the day go by a lot faster.We have fun and joke around.

The hardest part of my job is picking up the metric plates and taking them to the machine.

The people i work with.
Good company to work for
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  plymouth minnesotaOctober 24, 2014
Last worked here more than ten years ago. Over all a good place to work. I worked as a shop helper then as a inside sales rep. Managers in place at the time were open and receptive to ideas on how to improve products and processes.
Pros
paid well
Cons
shop/warehouse is union
Safe place to work.
Lead Man Over Packers (Current Employee) –  Winder, GaOctober 14, 2014
Over all olympic Steel is a good place to work. It has a decent environment. Good benefits come along with it. Just a little underpaid though
The good and the bad
Shop Helper (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAOctober 1, 2014
While the pay is nice and the co-workers are awesome, I wouldn't suggest applying to it right away without carefully considering this important factor: The company is generally unstable and dysfunctional and will fire you if they deem it necessary, regardless of seniority and work effort.

With that said, it's not a bad company and I do recommend them. (but only to those who need quick cash and plan on finding another job within 5-6 months)
Pros
excellent pay and awesome co-workers
Cons
will fire you whether they have a good reason or not
Olympic Steel
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PASeptember 3, 2014
Tool room has next to nothing in it. Everything you need you never had on hand. Very Unsafe environment. I don't recommend this to anybody.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6