Olympic Steel Employee Reviews

Very good place to work,
Machine Operator cnc (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg pa.usa.February 20, 2017
Was a great experience,i lerned a lot, how to use a numeric control, forcklift ,caliper,overhead crane,a few milling centers, vf6,vs-3 lathe
Pros
Good pay salary
Cons
Long hours work
Terrible moral . Management is disrespective . I wouldn't send my worst enemy to work here
Welder (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 16, 2017
I cannot stress enough . Do not work for these people. The Management from top to bottom is corrupt. They protect their own. High turn over rate.. Low moral and deplorable working conditions
They only care about the bottom dollar. Quality is sacrificed for production. They have no respect for the employee. I was cursed at and berated daily for over a year.
The insurance is average. The pay rate is very low for non management positions. OT is mandatory .
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Stay away from Olympic Steel
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 14, 2017
Some management should not be there and there is a high turn over jn Inside Sales. Ask yourself why. The minute someone leaves your work load doubles. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Productive work place
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 23, 2017
An overall impressive learning as well as working experience. The co-workers have a great amount of team related fields for growth within the company
Pros
Fast paced work environment
Cons
Not enough women
one shift verse's the other, nobody got along well
Crane Operator/Rigger (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MIJanuary 23, 2017
We come in, start working, loading trucks ,putting up orders. There
was only two people per shift, I liked third shift, not many trucks to
interfear getting the work done. Trucks would come in early in the morning to get unloaded, no waiting. I was the lead on the shift. The
other people were usually from the workhouse and didn't want to do
anything, so I got used to doing it myself.
good place to work
Laser Operator (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYDecember 26, 2016
Olympic steel is a very laid back place to work. You are treated with respect. The pay isn't great but the work environment makes up for that. Safety is there number one priority they want to make sure everyone gets to come home to there family
Plymouth Coil Div Mn
Shop Helper (Current Employee) –  Plymouth MnDecember 8, 2016
This would be a great company to work for.But keep in mind the Plymouth Mn coil works with the county jail and has some still serving time working there.They do not tell you that.They get only five an hr and are still serving time.Not the best of attitudes manager even thinks so.They seem to be able to get you in trouble by telling lies.Even though you were hired direct your word seems to mean little.GREAT PAY AND BENEFITS.If you can be one of the lucky ones to make the 90 days.
Pros
Good Pay and Benefits
Cons
Poor managment

Comment – December 22, 2016

They let me go over a few things that were explotited into 2-3 times the things I did.They also put your timecard up on the wall in what they call the wall of fame.HR says this is not a problem.Me I have never seen that in 43 years of working.

Comment – December 28, 2016

They definitely lie about you and let there jailee's lie and believe them.Even the fulltime will lie to get you fired.Please don't take this job you will end up like the rest on there wall of fame.

low payed
welder (Former Employee) –  Siler City, NCNovember 7, 2016
worked hard and underpaid. very busy place with money to be made, but not for the employee. would not work here again unless things changed. very unhappy with site.
Pros
zero
Cons
low salary
Interesting people
Crane Operator or shop helper (Former Employee) –  MNNovember 7, 2016
I enjoyed working with the people there and they taught me alot about steel and taking my time with the tools I work with . The hard part was just being the new person and machinery.
It was a nice place to work.
Burn Table Operator (Former Employee) –  Siler City, NCOctober 16, 2016
I was laid off due to lack of work. It was a good place to work. Steel work is what I have done the most of so it was nice being back at a job I knew a lot about.
Cons
Lack of work
I like the people
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAOctober 3, 2016
Olympic Steel is a big company ran like a small one. No follow through, no training. It's a nice place to work until they don't need you. No loyalty
Pros
n/a
Cons
No training
Ever changing daily routine
Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IASeptember 29, 2016
Your work day is never completely the same. Meet new & different types of people everyday. Fast paced environment. Very detail related job duties. Required tasks change daily.
They will hire you on when they get way too much work then they can Handel and fire you before your 90 day review.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Siler City, NCJuly 26, 2016
Worst place I've worked in my life, management is non existing. Better off going to a temp service, because at least they will help u find another job after u get laid off.
Pros
Most of the employees are really nice
Cons
Upper management is a joke
Enjoy the work that i do plenty of opportunities
CNC Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Winder, GAJuly 18, 2016
Nice place to work alot great opportunities for a person to learn new things, great place to build a career. The benefits are great but when it comes to pay raises, that's not always a guarantee.
Pros
Paid lunches and breaks
Cons
Only 2 breaks a day
the job was good it helped me out alot when i was going threw a rough patch in life everyone there is nice and treat you with the most respect ever
Chipper/Grinder (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAMay 21, 2016
i learned how to drive a forklift and how to use overhead crane also got to load trucks and all together its just a good job for anyone
Stay away!
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTApril 20, 2016
Olympic Steel would be a decent company to work for if they paid better. They pay criminally low wages for the dangerous work that you do there. They changed my work schedule on a fly and then reprimanded me for not keeping up with the changes. The crane was extremely old and should have been replaced decades ago. They machines are so old that the company who made them hasnt been around in over 20 years so when it breaks down, they have to fabricate new parts to fix it. This company can go kick rocks.
Pros
free most of the day
Cons
extremely low pay, stressful, very dangerous, 40+ year old machines
Provided many years with growing experience
Business System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PANovember 11, 2015
I was able to learn many aspects of the business during my 17 years of employment. Working environment was very pleasant for many of years with a great understanding of work life balance.
Very fun place to work
Grinder (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYOctober 14, 2015
Nice people, hard workers willing to help if needed, always work smarter not harder. They had very good hours. I would go in grind the steel and weld when they needed
didnt work there very long
CRANE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  bettendorf iowaSeptember 27, 2015
i got laid off at the end of my 90 days. just as i was getting the hang of it. i was only shown how to do certain things on the old computer system once but couldnt figure it out quick enough.
Pros
safety milestone lunches
Cons
bad training
Its a ok job
Packer (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAJune 16, 2015
This job is a ok job, just too much work for little paid. This job is just like every other job, go in everyday and work then come home but i did learn a lot at this work place. I learned how to use a crane and drive a forklift and learned how to operate press brake machine, one good thing about this job is just the team work. I like to work as a team and communicate with other workers. All the co-worker is nice and ok, everyone get along and work as a team. Theres nothing hard about this job because we have all the all these equipment to help us pick up heavy parts. One thing about this job is that its not really organize.
Pros
Pay during lunch
Cons
short break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7