OLYMPIC STEEL

OLYMPIC STEEL Employer Reviews

Potential through the roof,not being acheived though
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee), Bettendorf, IANovember 26, 2014
Pros: a few good managers, and coworkers, that really cared about their job and the people that supported them.
Cons: poor people skills in regards to management, so busy that i received no breaks or even uninterupted lunches. stress level very high.
This company has the unlimited potential to become one of the most productive companies in the area, however, poor employee relations and over-commitment has them reeling back on their heels constantly.
They have trouble training and keeping full staff which cripples them as a company and is a huge frustration to it's employees that do want the company – more... to succeed.
Low compensation and the inability to follow and achieve their business plan, leaves many questions whether its the management selection, or the business plan itself that is the problem.
Five Operation Managers and Five General managers in five years would indicate the problem is deeper than front line supervision and their employees.
High turnover rate. – less
fun place to work
Shotblast (Current Employee), Mount Sterling, KYNovember 23, 2014
I start my day but check off my cranes, machine and my equipment.Then i check the computer to see what jobs i have to do that day.

I learned how to run the shot blast machine,and how to use a hardness tester.

I like my bosses they are fair,and quick to tell me if i am doing something wrong.

I enjoy working with my co worker they make the day go by – more... a lot faster.We have fun and joke around.

The hardest part of my job is picking up the metric plates and taking them to the machine.

The people i work with. – less
Good company to work for
Inside Sales (Former Employee), plymouth minnesotaOctober 24, 2014
Pros: paid well
Cons: shop/warehouse is union
Last worked here more than ten years ago. Over all a good place to work. I worked as a shop helper then as a inside sales rep. Managers in place at the time were open and receptive to ideas on how to improve products and processes.
Safe place to work.
Lead Man Over Packers (Current Employee), Winder, GaOctober 14, 2014
Over all olympic Steel is a good place to work. It has a decent environment. Good benefits come along with it. Just a little underpaid though
The good and the bad
Shop Helper (Former Employee), Moses Lake, WAOctober 1, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and awesome co-workers
Cons: will fire you whether they have a good reason or not
While the pay is nice and the co-workers are awesome, I wouldn't suggest applying to it right away without carefully considering this important factor: The company is generally unstable and dysfunctional and will fire you if they deem it necessary, regardless of seniority and work effort.

With that said, it's not a bad company and I do recommend them. – more... (but only to those who need quick cash and plan on finding another job within 5-6 months) – less
Olympic Steel
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PASeptember 3, 2014
Tool room has next to nothing in it. Everything you need you never had on hand. Very Unsafe environment. I don't recommend this to anybody.
Not a good place to work at
Unknown (Current Employee), Bettendorf, IAAugust 7, 2014
If you want a place of advancement this is not the place for you, poor management, lack of communication starting from upper management, poor pay scale.
Very Unsafe, Unhealth, Disaterous Work Enviroment
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: negative
Cons: one break, poor work environment, very unsafe, unheatly
Olympic steel was the worst place I have ever worked in my life. I wouldn't recommend it to even my worst enemy, Three people in the hospital in three weeks because they made us use faulty equipment. Dust collectors and exhaust fans don't work so we were forced to breathe in harsh steel dust. Poor attitude of foreman's. Less than honest pay. ALL AROUND – more... HORRIBLE! ... OSHA needs to preform surprise inspection. – less
A little input
Corporate Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), Bedford Hts, OHJuly 2, 2014
I enjoyed working at Olympic. I gained a lot of knowledge that I was able to take with me for future opportunities.
A relaxed enviroment with a lot of opportunties to grow.
Sourcing Specialist/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TX.July 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of calling customers to obtain any inquiries they need quoted. My co-workers and the management is a pleasure to work with. The most stressful part of the job is trying to find material at the best price with the best delivery date. I do however, really enjoy the relationships that you get to build with the customers.
Very productive and obtaining great experience
Chipper (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNJune 18, 2014
A typical day will consist filling out your paper work for that specific
job. checking your work station to make sure everything is working properly like (Air Hose, Air Grinder/ ID Grinder, Crane, Crane's chain, ect) whip the steel to get the debris off, place magnets on the steel, lift slowly, place blocks to hold it up then start chipping. after your – more... done chipping, take air grinder and grind the edges. then you do it again for the next part.
I've learned alot about how metal is cut, welded and grinded that i never knew. I learned how to take Camber on certain pieces of steel, how to make skids to place pieces on, to be reliable by ordering and getting the parts to various companies.
The hardest part is lifting the steel off the blocks using the magnets and moving it to where it needs to be – less
not an ideal place to work
Machinist (Former Employee), Bettendorf, IAMay 28, 2014
Pros: make great friends in you coworkers
if you're looking for somewhere to work to add more experience then this it the place for you. There are no advancement opportunities at all you are only given the chance to learn new things on a need to know basis!! The less you know the less they have to pay you. Just don't do it!!
Poor Work Environment
worker (Former Employee), anyMay 9, 2014
This company is a mess. Unorganized, poor work instructions/training, unethical management, lack of leadership. Pay is not good, making promises that cannot be met. They have the wrong people in place, unexperienced management. They play mind games and retaliate and there is no place for that in the work place.
Relaxed and fun place to work.
Leadman/Supervisor (Current Employee), Mt.Sterling, KYApril 15, 2014
Can be challenging at times, for the most part you just have to focus and your job will be so much easier.
Fun Productive place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee), Lester, PAApril 10, 2014
Management was great.Job culture was great.would have loved to continue working there
Very Easy
Laser Operator - Truck Loader (Former Employee), Dover, OHApril 7, 2014
Ran a laser to get jobs done on a timely fashion. Went by quick and got paid every week.
OK place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Bettendorf, IAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: free donuts
Cons: 7am-3pm
Very Safe place to work,constantely have safety meeting.I enjoy operating cranes at Olympic Steel,It's a interesting place to work
Run this is not a good company to work for!
Happy past employee (Former Employee), Streetsboro Ohio, Integrity StainlessMarch 14, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything but pay
Olympic Steel has a smaller company named Integrity Stainless in Streetsboro Ohio. And it is everything but Integrity. The president has sexual harassment suits against him but loves to tell everyone about his charitable affiliations , the staff is anything but professional and the level of management is very low. They have no idea who is on their team – more... and what their jobs are.
If you are considering a position with this company run, don't walk in the other direction. This is a bunch of adults acting like children. I am a past employee and am happy to be away from that train wreck. – less
work
1st Shift Messer Operator (Former Employee), Winder, GAFebruary 27, 2014
cut hours then demands 10-12 hour days
Feel like management didnt not want growth within the company
Bander (Former Employee), Milford, CTJanuary 8, 2014
putting metal bands on pallets so that the steel do not move or get damage during transportation.

About OLYMPIC STEEL

Olympic Steel has bypassed gold, silver, and bronze in favor of carbon, coated, and stainless steel. A steel service center, Olympic – Read more