OLYMPIC STEEL

OLYMPIC STEEL Employer Reviews

A little input
Corporate Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), Bedford Hts, OHJuly 2, 2014
I enjoyed working at Olympic. I gained a lot of knowledge that I was able to take with me for future opportunities.
A relaxed enviroment with a lot of opportunties to grow.
Sourcing Specialist/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TX.July 2, 2014
A typical day at work consists of calling customers to obtain any inquiries they need quoted. My co-workers and the management is a pleasure to work with. The most stressful part of the job is trying to find material at the best price with the best delivery date. I do however, really enjoy the relationships that you get to build with the customers.
Very productive and obtaining great experience
Chipper (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNJune 18, 2014
A typical day will consist filling out your paper work for that specific
job. checking your work station to make sure everything is working properly like (Air Hose, Air Grinder/ ID Grinder, Crane, Crane's chain, ect) whip the steel to get the debris off, place magnets on the steel, lift slowly, place blocks to hold it up then start chipping. after your – more... done chipping, take air grinder and grind the edges. then you do it again for the next part.
I've learned alot about how metal is cut, welded and grinded that i never knew. I learned how to take Camber on certain pieces of steel, how to make skids to place pieces on, to be reliable by ordering and getting the parts to various companies.
The hardest part is lifting the steel off the blocks using the magnets and moving it to where it needs to be – less
not an ideal place to work
Machinist (Former Employee), Bettendorf, IAMay 28, 2014
Pros: make great friends in you coworkers
if you're looking for somewhere to work to add more experience then this it the place for you. There are no advancement opportunities at all you are only given the chance to learn new things on a need to know basis!! The less you know the less they have to pay you. Just don't do it!!
Poor Work Environment
worker (Former Employee), anyMay 9, 2014
This company is a mess. Unorganized, poor work instructions/training, unethical management, lack of leadership. Pay is not good, making promises that cannot be met. They have the wrong people in place, unexperienced management. They play mind games and retaliate and there is no place for that in the work place.
Relaxed and fun place to work.
Leadman/Supervisor (Current Employee), Mt.Sterling, KYApril 15, 2014
Can be challenging at times, for the most part you just have to focus and your job will be so much easier.
Fun Productive place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee), Lester, PAApril 10, 2014
Management was great.Job culture was great.would have loved to continue working there
Very Easy
Laser Operator - Truck Loader (Former Employee), Dover, OHApril 7, 2014
Ran a laser to get jobs done on a timely fashion. Went by quick and got paid every week.
OK place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Bettendorf, IAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: free donuts
Cons: 7am-3pm
Very Safe place to work,constantely have safety meeting.I enjoy operating cranes at Olympic Steel,It's a interesting place to work
Run this is not a good company to work for!
Happy past employee (Former Employee), Streetsboro Ohio, Integrity StainlessMarch 14, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything but pay
Olympic Steel has a smaller company named Integrity Stainless in Streetsboro Ohio. And it is everything but Integrity. The president has sexual harassment suits against him but loves to tell everyone about his charitable affiliations , the staff is anything but professional and the level of management is very low. They have no idea who is on their team – more... and what their jobs are.
If you are considering a position with this company run, don't walk in the other direction. This is a bunch of adults acting like children. I am a past employee and am happy to be away from that train wreck. – less
work
1st Shift Messer Operator (Former Employee), Winder, GAFebruary 27, 2014
cut hours then demands 10-12 hour days
Feel like management didnt not want growth within the company
Bander (Former Employee), Milford, CTJanuary 8, 2014
putting metal bands on pallets so that the steel do not move or get damage during transportation.
Good Benefits is about all
Production Worker (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNDecember 30, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: dead end company. nepotism is out of control.
Management is not have any concept of what goes on in production warehouse. No job security even in the union. Work life balance is acceptable for some positions, but very few. Pay is below industry average.
Fun and great learning experience
General Utility (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 7, 2013
The factory was fast paced, depending on the day. I learned how to band steel and operate different types of equipment used daily in a steel factory. The management was good and were always respectful to workers. The hardest part of the job was the first few weeks when I had to learn everything. The co-workers were a diverse group of people with ethnicities – more... over a wide range, which made it interesting to have the opportunity to work with people from different cultures. – less
Productive workplace
Press Brake Operator (Former Employee), Winder, GAAugust 29, 2013
I operated a press brake, overhead crane, and forklifts. Used grinders and de-burred parts for shipping. I banded and shrink wrapped parts for shipping. Typed and printed labels for shipping. It was a nice company to work for.
great co-workers in a fast pace hard labor job
warehouse worker/forklift driver (Former Employee), Moses Lake, WAAugust 5, 2013
I loved working for this company. The pay was good the work consisted of heavy lifting by hand and the use of overhead cranes and forklift for pieces of steel that couldn't be moved manually. The hours varied between 8-12 on a daily bases. I would have gladly stayed with this company but needed to relocate to tacoma to be closer to my kids.
Poor management hindered even further by playing favorites
Everything (Former Employee), Riverdale, IAJuly 13, 2013
Pros: there was one decent foreman (has been let go since)
Cons: management, playing favorites, safety, training, work-life balance
An absolutely terrible place to work. Was hired and told that overtime is voluntary and might be required once or twice a year. I was on forced overtime for 4 months straight and this consisted of 7days a week or 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. The company does not care about your safety, as identified by forcing uncertified non- maintenance employees – more... to do work they are not properly trained in. The company does not care if you present ideas to them to increase productivity and whereby create more money for this company. The only thing that matters is you suck up to your foreman, everything they say is right (no matter what) and hopefully they favor you. If not you are in trouble, start counting your days. – less
Laser and Crane work
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee), Bedford Heights, OhioJune 19, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks lack of communication and consideration
A typical day at work for me have a safety meeting then I will measure the material and the part. Then i cut the material band it up start another order then go on break finish two more orders then I go home
Worst place to work!!!!
current employee (Current Employee), bettendorf iowaApril 22, 2013
Pros: none whatsoever
Cons: evey aspect from the top to the bottom
This is THE WORST PLACE TO WORK!! I've beem here for a few year's now and am currently looking for other work. Management is pathetic, zero goal oriented company that cares only for the individual, NOT for the company as a whole. I've seen lay off after lay off and once this mill goes to pot, this place will close.
Fair
Lead Man/ Supervisor (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILMarch 26, 2013
Pros: easy work
Cons: pay
Plenty of room for advancement. They listen to the employees. Very easy to work for.

About OLYMPIC STEEL

Olympic Steel has bypassed gold, silver, and bronze in favor of carbon, coated, and stainless steel. A steel service center, Olympic – Read more