Olympus America Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Place to Work with Emphasis on Work/home life balance
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PAFebruary 8, 2016
Providing executive support to the most fun, positive Vice President in the company. Tracking and maintaining customer contracts; scheduling events and travel; maintaining and tracking filing system via Access database.
Stress levels could be crazy during month end, quarter end, half-year end and year end but the VP went out of his way to make it fun (e.g., breakfast, fun with fondue, customer service appreciation, etc.)
Pros
Summer Fun Fridays - every two Fridays could leave 2 hrs early
Cons
Long commute; downsized department and lost my position
I can't be here anymore
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 12, 2016
The job is constantly full of drama between co-workers and between co-workers and leads. The work environment is negative and horrible and I'm ready to go.
Advancement is limited to a homogenous group, and education and communication are an afterthought for career growth
RA Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 16, 2014
Have to be very patient dealing with the internal politics and policies enforced by Olympus. Management needs to be open to newer ideas and the ever changing culture outside of Olympus. Coworkers understand that growth is limited and education and communication are not priorities when considering employees for career growth.
Interesting place to work
Service Consultant - Call Center (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 9, 2015
Call center that took orders for medical equipment. Besides answering phones and taking orders, you got to work with the technicians and warehouse staff.
Compensation
ENT Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 19, 2015
Company is constantly having back order issues, also issues with getting equipment for evaluations and deals don't ship when they are promised.
Average
Sr. Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 7, 2012
Because it's a Japanese company, the work tends to be broken down into compartments. Over time you can find yourself good at one thing, but in a market that prizes diversity, that isn't good for long-term prospects. The reward though is that the Japanese will keep you throughout your career. So, you can join the company and possibly stay there for your career...if you are in one of the divisions overseas.
In the US, the divisions are somewhat typical - it can come down to who you know and how well connected those people are.
Also, the yearly increases are small on the corporate side.

On the plus side, if you are considering sales, you can do well and be well-compensated, and if you decide to go to the corporate side you can weather most layoffs because Olympus, like many companies prizes sales experience highly, even if you aren't a top performer in the corporate environment.

Overall, Olympus is an average company to work for.
Go in with your eyes open, and insist on a growth plan in writing. Change around jobs every few years to keep yourself marketable and if you are incompetent, learn the political landscape! It could save you.

So...Pros
- If you are in sales or politically connected you can do well and make Olympus a long term career
- It's a diverse company so you have the opportunity to move around if you can get a good manager that will lay out a written growth plan.

Cons
- average to sub-par on compensation compared to other companies
- In the US anyway, politics can override talent
Pros
diverse, focus on sales, commitment to developing new products
Cons
politics, average compensation and small increases
Excellent company to work for
Service Director, Latin America Region (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 4, 2015
I am proud of the contributions I made to Olympus during my time there. It was a very satisfied with the work environment and the overall quality of the people within the company.
Great Company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 28, 2012
Great benefits & pay, very hard & mentally challenging but overall was a great job.
Pros
team building games with management & co-workers, benefits & pay
Cons
stressfull due to the micro-managing the managers/supervisers had to do
good working environment
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 30, 2015
Great companies to work for.I worked 11 to 7 shift and did not like that shift at all. Employees were helpful and so nice.I worked
as a temp and did not feel comfortable, but i was able to make
friends and talk to them as if i clicked right in.
Pros
Cafeteria with hot food
Cons
punch in and out for a 10 min break
Excellent Company and H.R. Dept.
Manager Expeditor /Shipping Receiving (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 17, 2014
Olympus was a great company, that I had the pleasure of working with outstanding people everyday. It was a fast paced environment that I thrived in. The hardest part of my day was making the turn-around time of scheduled work with outside vendors. I had 13yrs of tenor with the Olympus company and they gave me a lot of training,mentoring for management and support.
Pros
vacation time. tuition, bonus'.
Cons
healthcare could have been better.
Productive and fun workplace
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 27, 2012
Excellent benefits and work hours to balance career and family.
Successful fuun enviornment to work
Shipping/Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJanuary 6, 2013
Working with Olympus America, I learned a lot in respects to administrative duties and procedures. They set up a very flexible work schedule and management was perfect in ensuring your comfortability as well as knowledge of your assigned responsibilities. Company produced a laid back environment in which you were encouraged to learn more and truly operate as a team.
Pros
great pay, great hours, great managers
Excellent company, one of the very best I have been associated with.
Sr. Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Regional based, Cincinnati, OHJuly 3, 2013
I would do this over again if possible. Unfortunately the company made some political moves with the US based sales force which changed the functional operation of the group. This was disastrous for the sales and a poor result for the parent company. Original management was very committed and involved, excellent group.
Lack of Interest and Investment in the Microscopy Business
Microscopy Representative (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAJune 15, 2014
Olympus has failed to invest in new products for the Microscopy business causing it to loose market share to more innovative competitors.
Pros
benifits and pay are decent compared to the competition
Cons
product is old and the infrastructure is so old it's hard to do business.
Good compensation and benefits
Manager, Technical Training (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PAJuly 28, 2014
Overall, opportunities provided and were good. Changes in management and divisions were more frequent.
More politics than D.C.
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PASeptember 25, 2013
I love my position and I love the people I work with. The organization is doing it's best to improve morale after a tough couple of years, however the mentality of many Sr. Management remains the same.
Pros
close to home
Cons
low pay
Olympus America
Technical Sales Engineer / Installation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAMarch 4, 2015
The best job that I've ever had. I was able to use both my personal skills and my IT skills in this environment.

I worked with phyiscian and nursing staff. I met with Directors and CEO's of hospitals and surgical centers and I was able to work closely with the IT staff to discuss highly technical issues.
n/a
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2013
Excellent company with top tier products

Competitively priced with reasonable GPO coverage
Great Place to work!
Senior Manager, Operations (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 2, 2012
OK - they moved to PA.
But if you are looking for a position with a company, that not only encourages innovation but rewards those efforts as well, then this is the company.
Pros
great hq
Cons
pa!
A global leading supplier of medical visualization and energy
Supervisor, Financial Contract Adminstration (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MN 55446October 7, 2013
An outstanding opportunity to work and grow with this company for the past seven years.