Olympus Corporation of the Americas Employee Reviews in United States

Corrupt Organization
N/A (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PAApril 5, 2016
Everything yo need to know about the culture of corruption at Olympus can be found on Google News.

The money and benefits are OK, but there is very little room for internal advancement. Basically, if you are good at your job you will not be allowed to be promoted. If you are not essential to your job, play politics well, and/or know where the bodies are buried you can move up quickly.
Pros
Everyone buy full commission sales has at least some participation in the bonus program.
Cons
No work-life balance. Few internal promotions. Inconsistent buzz-word-of-the-month management.
Family type environment
Corporate Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melville NY and Hauppauge NYJuly 30, 2015
Olympus of the America's was a great place to work. In the 20 years I worked there I was able to advance to different departments and levels. They have a pleasant work atmosphere and work as a team.
Pros
Can advance to higher levels.
Cons
They closed the NY office.
Productive and fun
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bogotá, CUNSeptember 19, 2015
The Job experience was good over all.
To work with customers from Canada and U.S.A and teach them how to use equipment explanatory was price less.
Enjoyed colleagues and environment.
Coordinator Grants, Community Svs, Exec. Admin (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PAMay 4, 2015
Olympus gave me the opportunity to learn so much about grant giving and government compliance. Opportunity to discover the step by step process in grant giving. Resigned due to retirement in 2013.
Pros
My directors were wonderful to work with, great colleagues, great environment, great job!
Cons
Work life balance was challenging.
Innovative, challenging and teamwork environment
Tax Manager (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at work involves meetings, performing core job duties, mentoring and learning. The learning aspect involves knowing about new products, states taxability changes, noteworthy information applicable to my discipline and management recommendations. Management is innovative and fosters and environment of teamwork and social responsibility. Coworkers segment ranges from baby boomers to millennials which is sometimes challenging, but offers shared learning across the board. The hardest part of the job is inclusiveness relative to cultural diversity and gender. Would love to see more women in leadership roles, and the employee workforce is reflective of the community. The most enjoyable part of my job is the openness and ability to share my views.
Pros
social responsibility, volunteerism
Cons
lack of diversity
Very large company, slow to adapt, poor support for employees
Contracts (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PANovember 16, 2014
I was initially very excited to work for Olympus. This excitement was quickly dashed once I entered the office of 900 employees and realized that I was just a body in a cubicle to them. They use extremely outdated software (LotusNotes for email!) and just began a conversion to SAP from JD Edwards. They provide almost no training to employees and vastly oversell the amount of experience and skills required for the basically entry-level jobs they offer.
Pros
it's very easy to get a job at the main office.
Cons
high turnover, no support, non-existent office culture
Productive Analysis
Senior Financial Analyst - Medical Systems Group (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAFebruary 24, 2014
Being part of the Olympus in each business segment has given me significant exposure to a variety of business settings. The rotational nature has afforded me the unique early career opportunity to acquire and develop new and important skills, interests and an in-depth understanding of Olympus' core businesses. In addition, the ability to work alongside prominent industry leaders, to manage and contribute to projects with important business implications, has been rewarding both professionally and personally.
My day-to-day responsibilities included sales analysts, updating coworkers on projects, presenting and synthesizing data, building financial models and frequently interacting with upper management.
The hardest part of my job was my inability to say "no" to project. The most enjoyable part was balancing my work life and personal life with my coworkers and management.
Pros
exposure to a varitey of business settings
Cons
communication
Good people
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAJuly 27, 2012
Good people and collegial environment. The company has been through difficult times lately but has a very strong portfolio of products that will return it to a strong and secure position quickly.
Large international corporation
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PADecember 31, 2013
Large international corporation with many opportunities for its employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
large international corporation
Average company to work for; however, they are a precision tech leader, designing and delivering innovative solutions in its core business in sev
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melville, NY & Center Valley, PAAugust 28, 2015
Prepared Dealer and Service contracts for healthcare products by working closely with Legal, Sales, & Technical Services departments, acted as liaison between Marketing & Purchasing departments Used DocView, a document management system for IBM Series (AS/400) users to scan sales orders & return merchandise authorizations for the Scientific Group's & Medical Systems' Group's medical products. Filed & organized asset management & inventory transactions; handles preparation of check & purchase requisitions; prepared expense reports on paper before they were able to do it online; made travel arrangements for Group Vice President who traveled all over the world, particularly to Japan quite a bit. Hardest part of the job was when I was away on vacation, I did not have a backup person to do my work; therefore, the work would pile up to the point where I needed to ask for overtime, and sometimes it was granted & sometimes it wasn't when it was truly validated. My co-workers were very nice, cooperative, understanding, & helpful; Management was good; my boss was great, very humble, kind, and undertanding of when I needed to take off for family issues. He always believed that family came first. Hardest part of job was when I needed to make travel arrangements on line with Orbitz because my boss had specific requests that were not easy to accommodating. Enjoyed long-term projects that were given to me. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with fellow employees & making good friends with whom I still keep in touch after moving back to Long Island.

Did not stay with Company
  more... until 8/28/15. Worked until 10/16/13.  less
Pros
Good comaradie, good benefits, beautiful grounds, frequent town hall meetings with CEO & heads of divisons, made friends for life there. Had ping pong tables for people, company picnics, gifts for every five years of employment.
Cons
Too much turnaround with Executive Administration & HR, Company did not match enough with 401K, small % of raises for non management, security was very poor there, employees started dressing much too casually, i.e. flip flops, ripped jeans, parking lot got flooded A LOT when it rained heavily, small cafeteria.
It was great to work for a company that was involved in the medical field and cancer research.
Senior Retail Credit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PADecember 2, 2013
I was an employee of the Retail Division for Olympus Imaging. Although this division has nothing to do with the Medical division it was good to be part of the concept to work for an organization that is strong in the medical field.

For the retail division I was the Sr. Credit Specialist for the Latin America and Caribbean territory. Worked hand on hand with the Sales department to review new customer prospects, review their company financials, and commercial references, and country risk assessment. Based on the review, I would assign a credit line and approve the creation of the new customer account in the system.

I was in charge of the Collections, maintaining a Current Receivable portfolio for those accounts, which provided the leverage to hold or release new orders base on customer's current or past due trends.

Constantly negotiating increases of credit lines based on the business needs, or negotiating other forms of secure payments, like advancements, or commercial letters of credit or stand by letters, depending on the customer's strength.

Daily communication with Sales, Customer Service, Logistics, Production, Management, Customer's CFOs or General Managers, and banks, to coordinate the international project from the finance end to ensure company met negotiated lead times to avoid any payment delays.

Sadly the Retail Division suffered the consequences of the recession, a poor decision made by the previous stake holders with money at the Japan headquarters, which became global news in 2010, and this unfortunately started the lay offs with Upper Management in 2010,
  more... and recently in March of 2013. It was then that Olympus Brazil and Olympus Mexico RETAIL divisions were closed, and my functions also from the Center Valley office for those divisions/countries was no longer needed and I was laid off as well, with other 40 co-workers from the Center Valley location.

I enjoyed the customer & sales department contact. Enjoyed coordinating with different areas the aspects of the international projects, and always looking for solutions to very unique situations.

The hardest part was to work under the knowledge that the company (Retail Division) was not doing well, no matter the efforts, but I tried to do my best until the end.

I spent 7 years with people that I used to communicate constantly, we were a good team.
Pros
bonus, holiday celebrations, company picnics
Cons
retail division was hit financially very hard, making the employees worried of the company's future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympus Corporation of the Americas. Our community is ready to answer.

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Reviews by Location