Omaha Public Power District Employee Reviews

Good job with excellent benefits in a detail oriented atmosphere
Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 24, 2015
A fun job with strong leaders. A multitude of training and qualifications yearly to keep the employees skilled in the protections of a Nuclear power plant and its surrounding citizens. Various tours and checks of vital plant equipment carried out daily with exceptional attention to detail in order to ensure safety for all.
Productive but relaxed, various locations many different job opportunities
Intern - Technical-Services and Fuels (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 28, 2015
During my internship i got to visit nearly every location owned by the company and work in several departments the people are nice, and helpful. You are expected to make things happen but there is always help available when needed.
Pros
good double time over time oppertunities.
Cons
more short breaks than a few long breaks.
Needs new and better management
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 22, 2015
They keep the same management even tho they have proven inefficient. Too much hiring of friends and family, and it is a male dominated place so unless you are a young women that is cute you will never be promoted. You work LONG hours but never get acknowledged for it. Bosses lie to their workers and don't deal with problems. There is a lot of office bullying.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
must be a family member/friend or young to be promoted
Great Place to Work
Engineering Aide (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 9, 2015
Great place to work. Its a big company so there's a lot of ways to advance. Great community service. Great atmosphere all around.
Established organization
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 3, 2014
I came right out of college in to this job and it was a wonderful experience. I learn so much about business analysis and collaboration.
My co-workers were friendly, fun and collaborative.
Customer Care at local power company.
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 21, 2014
Provides customers with information on a variety of topics including: energy usage, outages and service restoration, billing and rates, account security, payment plans and options, customers self-serve offerings, OPPD’s product and service offerings, and other customer service and energy related topics. Initiates a large variety of customer service related transactions including: start, stop, or transfer service requests, billing adjustments, payments, payment arrangements, outage requests, and other customer service related transactions. Maintains knowledge of the systems that support Customer Care Services and keeps the systems updated with complete and accurate customer billing and contact information. Follows the procedures and policies established for the department. Conducts interactions with customers in a friendly and professional approach. Performs work in an efficient and effective manner. Markets products and services offered by the District. Responds to emergency call-outs for service outage support. Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor or manager.
Pros
good job security. community based.
Cons
difficult for any kind of movement within the department.
Productive,Educational,Company Picnic, Cultural celebration
Land and Facilities Computer Model Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 15, 2014
A day at work would be Reviewing and assigning work
Taking phone calls/solving some problems and discussing others with my supervisor
Answering the questions for Team workers
Writing procedures and Training
Attending Meetings
Taking a break or lunch and taking a short walk
The hardest part of my job was not having enough hours to complete all the tasks that may come to you
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people and the great feeling of accomplishment each day
Pros
great company to work for
Great Work Environment
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 12, 2014
If I ever had a question about something I was working on there was always someone to help me figure things out. The full-time people were always more than happy to do so almost as soon as I asked. I learned a lot about some of the more minor issues with Windows and its programs in order to better understand it.
Enjoyable at time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blair, NEApril 28, 2014
There really wasn't a typical day summary, sometimes I would go in for 8 hours or 12 hours depending on the need for people during the day.

I served three different positions over my West career and this was probably the most challenging as people don't often liked to be critiqued on their work.

Management did help at times, though they didn't seem like the job was all that important at times and would need a reminder to get back on track.
Pros
variety
Cons
no benefits
Retired
Health Physicist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 12, 2013
A long career with Omaha Public Power District but retired.
Pros
security
Cons
long outages
Great pay and benefits, but seems to come with a cost.
Full time Nuclear Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Blair, NESeptember 8, 2013
Days here were never really typical. Work varied from simple document changes to full modification packages. My time here was during a refueling outage (nuclear power plant). This was not a typical outage as there were a few events that complicated things.

I learned quite a bit about the nuclear power industry and how it all works to create electricity.

The hardest part about my time there was the work hours and days plus the seemingly endless amount of priority work that would come up. From my personal experience communication wasn't the best between management and employees. Even though you may be working on the same project it seemed that there was still too much individual work to feel like team work.

It was a very interesting place. A lot of people will never get to see what you can see here. Although this wasn't the place for me, the work was varied and there was opportunity to learn across departments.

Not a bad place to work at all, but I just came in at a difficult time in the power plants history. My experience is unique and not typical.
Pros
good pay, great benefits, unique environment, interesting projects
Cons
long work hours, single day weekends, lack of department work load prioritization, heavily regulated under the nrc
Stable company with good growth opportunities
CONTROL ROOM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Ft. Calhoun Nuclear StationJune 10, 2013
Learned about complex system interrelations
Worked with various departments to accomplish goals and resolved conflicts
Enjoyed learning not just the operations, by why things do what they do to make better decisions
Most difficult part of the job is managing competing priorities to balance maintenance work and production priorities
Pros
secure work environment
Cons
lack of staffing creates difficulties in allowing for personal time.
Good Company
Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NEMarch 18, 2013
All-In-All, this is a good company to work for. A company who is having short term as well long-term goal and one who achieved the most. A company who gives opportunity to employees to develop personally which also lead to companies progression. A company who have much reputed name in market not only for his development but also for good deeds.
Pros
better than average wages and always hiring.
Cons
no discount on utilities
Excellent place to work for job satisfaction and benefits
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort calhoun Nuclear Power PlantJanuary 13, 2013
Good people who work hard to ensure excellence in utility operations.
Pros
people
Cons
job demands/home balance
Didn't work there long enough too write a review
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 21, 2012
Didn't work there long enough too write a review. Very inconsistent with evaluating talent.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
lack of training, coaching.