Omaha Public Power District Employee Reviews

Amazing Company
1st Class Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 8, 2017
I worked at OPPD practically right out of High School. I moved around to a few different departmentsand learned so much about electricity and power. I also learned how to run several different pieces of equipment including backhoes, trucks and most of all cranes. I would recommend OPPD to anyone.
All about the dollar in the owners pockets
Junior Clerck (Former Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NEJune 8, 2017
was with the company for 7 years and told to my face many times I would not be given a performance review so that I could be considered for internal jobs I applied for. HR never did anything with my complaints I filed. The company is finally falling apart and I'm happy I left when I did.
Communications Technician (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 30, 2017
Employees are good to each other. Each employee is obligated and expected to give opinions of what they think is the best way to fix or change issues they think is a better way for each person to excel in a days work.
Pros
good pay
Typical Professional Environment
Customer Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 27, 2017
It is hard to move up the ladder as jobs are currently being reduced and people stay in their positions until retirement. A good place to work, with good pay and good benefits but a hard place to move up.
Great Company
Nuclear Security Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort CalhonSeptember 7, 2016
Work in he nuclear side of the business and the company is discontinuing function the nuclear power side of the business. OPPD is a great company to work for.
Pros
Great company
Cons
down sizing
Lead Auditor (Current Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NEAugust 17, 2016
Working at a Nuclear Power Plant is enjoyable as you are required to be accountable and responsible for you work and actions. Your work is controlled by procedures and procedure compliance is required. The hardest part of the job is time pressure in completing deadlines and the most enjoyable is the people you work with in the industry.
Pros
People and Requirements
Cons
The Plant is shutting down
People and benefits are the best part
Chemistry Technician (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 14, 2016
I have had several jobs for OPPD, starting out as a trainee, then as a shift worker, and now as a instrument and quality control chemist. Shift work required 12hr coverage, nights and weekends, but for 6 years I have had a normal 7-330 work schedule. Typical work for me includes instrument development, troubleshooting, and maintenance. Additionally, I run the QA/QC program to ensure proper operation of lab equipment.

My direct supervision and management team is great. I disagree with their decisions at times, but they listen to my concerns and then attempt to explain the reasoning behind their decisions. I still might not agree but at least I understand what they were thinking and what other pressures they may be under.

The best part of OPPD are my co-workers. They are very smart but also great to work with and fun to be around. We eat lunch together every day and get together for outings several times a year outside of work.

The hardest part of the job are the long hours needed when unexpected equipment failure occurs. Sometimes it may only be one day, but at times it can be weeks with working 60+ hours a week and it might include nights and weekends.

The most enjoyable part of my job is instrument development. Every lab needs to utilize instruments in a unique and special way that the manufacturer can't account for. Therefor, when an instrument is working with our specific matrix and requirements it is very satisfying knowing that I set that instrument up and it is working properly.
Oppd
Nuclear Security Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NebraskaAugust 11, 2016
A typical day is starting at 6am & leaving at 6:30pm. I have learned that the Nuclear Industry is a completely different animal than most jobs. Our Management has always been here for them and not the employees. Co-workers are what makes this place operate. Hardest part about the job is dealing with poor decisions from upper Management. The best part of the job is making new friends and working together as a team.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Plant Closing!!
Poor talent management and Terrible communication
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nebraska City, NEApril 14, 2016
I was recruited to join this company on the testimony of the hiring managers and left a good career to move to Nebraska City.
Welcomed initially i was given only a high volume of menial tasks allowing others in my department time to advance their own interests. Some slept at their desks. These people took credit for my work because they understood the communication channels. I was treated as a periphery by them. They did not care to get to know me at all. No one who brought me on discussed my talent portfolio or offered insight to success. At four months, an open c-suite meeting titled "The OPPD WAY" cited instability in the industry and cost cutting requirements. I was fired that day on grounds of "poor performance!"

I would be very cautious of this pitfall of a place. In "Managing" Me they justify their own resources and those of other departments, namely HR.
Pros
compensation, insight
Cons
Sickeningly Dishonest Manipulative Culture.
Offered something new everyday
Mechanical Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Nebraska City, NEJanuary 13, 2016
The best thing about working for OPPD was that I was able to do something new almost everyday. It was also very beneficial to be able to be working at a Power Plant and being able to go out into the plant to see what exactly the problem was. Working with steamfitters, electricians and machinists in a very personal manner was also a good way to make relationships and learn how they look at a problems when it needs to be addressed.
Pros
Good people, variety, good pay
Cons
not a lot of job positions available
Good job with excellent benefits in a detail oriented atmosphere
Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 24, 2015
A fun job with strong leaders. A multitude of training and qualifications yearly to keep the employees skilled in the protections of a Nuclear power plant and its surrounding citizens. Various tours and checks of vital plant equipment carried out daily with exceptional attention to detail in order to ensure safety for all.
Productive but relaxed, various locations many different job opportunities
Intern - Technical-Services and Fuels (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 28, 2015
During my internship i got to visit nearly every location owned by the company and work in several departments the people are nice, and helpful. You are expected to make things happen but there is always help available when needed.
Pros
good double time over time oppertunities.
Cons
more short breaks than a few long breaks.
Needs new and better management
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 22, 2015
They keep the same management even tho they have proven inefficient. Too much hiring of friends and family, and it is a male dominated place so unless you are a young women that is cute you will never be promoted. You work LONG hours but never get acknowledged for it. Bosses lie to their workers and don't deal with problems. There is a lot of office bullying.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
must be a family member/friend or young to be promoted
Great Place to Work
Engineering Aide (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 9, 2015
Great place to work. Its a big company so there's a lot of ways to advance. Great community service. Great atmosphere all around.
Established organization
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 3, 2014
I came right out of college in to this job and it was a wonderful experience. I learn so much about business analysis and collaboration.
My co-workers were friendly, fun and collaborative.
Customer Care at local power company.
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 21, 2014
Provides customers with information on a variety of topics including: energy usage, outages and service restoration, billing and rates, account security, payment plans and options, customers self-serve offerings, OPPD’s product and service offerings, and other customer service and energy related topics. Initiates a large variety of customer service related transactions including: start, stop, or transfer service requests, billing adjustments, payments, payment arrangements, outage requests, and other customer service related transactions. Maintains knowledge of the systems that support Customer Care Services and keeps the systems updated with complete and accurate customer billing and contact information. Follows the procedures and policies established for the department. Conducts interactions with customers in a friendly and professional approach. Performs work in an efficient and effective manner. Markets products and services offered by the District. Responds to emergency call-outs for service outage support. Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor or manager.
Pros
Good job security. Community based.
Cons
Difficult for any kind of movement within the department.
Productive,Educational,Company Picnic, Cultural celebration
Land and Facilities Computer Model Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 15, 2014
A day at work would be Reviewing and assigning work
Taking phone calls/solving some problems and discussing others with my supervisor
Answering the questions for Team workers
Writing procedures and Training
Attending Meetings
Taking a break or lunch and taking a short walk
The hardest part of my job was not having enough hours to complete all the tasks that may come to you
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people and the great feeling of accomplishment each day
Pros
Great Company to work for
Great Work Environment
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 12, 2014
If I ever had a question about something I was working on there was always someone to help me figure things out. The full-time people were always more than happy to do so almost as soon as I asked. I learned a lot about some of the more minor issues with Windows and its programs in order to better understand it.
Enjoyable at time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blair, NEApril 28, 2014
There really wasn't a typical day summary, sometimes I would go in for 8 hours or 12 hours depending on the need for people during the day.

I served three different positions over my West career and this was probably the most challenging as people don't often liked to be critiqued on their work.

Management did help at times, though they didn't seem like the job was all that important at times and would need a reminder to get back on track.
Pros
Variety
Cons
No benefits
Retired
Health Physicist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 12, 2013
A long career with Omaha Public Power District but retired.
Pros
security
Cons
long outages