Omaha Public Power District

Omaha Public Power District Employer Reviews

Great Work Environment
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 12, 2014
If I ever had a question about something I was working on there was always someone to help me figure things out. The full-time people were always more than happy to do so almost as soon as I asked. I learned a lot about some of the more minor issues with Windows and its programs in order to better understand it.
Enjoyable at time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Blair, NEApril 28, 2014
Pros: variety
Cons: no benefits
There really wasn't a typical day summary, sometimes I would go in for 8 hours or 12 hours depending on the need for people during the day.

I served three different positions over my West career and this was probably the most challenging as people don't often liked to be critiqued on their work.

Management did help at times, though they didn't seem – more... like the job was all that important at times and would need a reminder to get back on track. – less
Retired
Health Physicist (Former Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 12, 2013
Pros: security
Cons: long outages
A long career with Omaha Public Power District but retired.
Great pay and benefits, but seems to come with a cost.
Full time Nuclear Design Engineer (Current Employee), Blair, NESeptember 8, 2013
Pros: good pay, great benefits, unique environment, interesting projects
Cons: long work hours, single day weekends, lack of department work load prioritization, heavily regulated under the nrc
Days here were never really typical. Work varied from simple document changes to full modification packages. My time here was during a refueling outage (nuclear power plant). This was not a typical outage as there were a few events that complicated things.

I learned quite a bit about the nuclear power industry and how it all works to create electricity.

The – more... hardest part about my time there was the work hours and days plus the seemingly endless amount of priority work that would come up. From my personal experience communication wasn't the best between management and employees. Even though you may be working on the same project it seemed that there was still too much individual work to feel like team work.

It was a very interesting place. A lot of people will never get to see what you can see here. Although this wasn't the place for me, the work was varied and there was opportunity to learn across departments.

Not a bad place to work at all, but I just came in at a difficult time in the power plants history. My experience is unique and not typical. – less
Stable company with good growth opportunities
CONTROL ROOM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Ft. Calhoun Nuclear StationJune 10, 2013
Pros: secure work environment
Cons: lack of staffing creates difficulties in allowing for personal time.
Learned about complex system interrelations
Worked with various departments to accomplish goals and resolved conflicts
Enjoyed learning not just the operations, by why things do what they do to make better decisions
Most difficult part of the job is managing competing priorities to balance maintenance work and production priorities
Good Company
Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee), Fort Calhoun, NEMarch 18, 2013
Pros: better than average wages and always hiring.
Cons: no discount on utilities
All-In-All, this is a good company to work for. A company who is having short term as well long-term goal and one who achieved the most. A company who gives opportunity to employees to develop personally which also lead to companies progression. A company who have much reputed name in market not only for his development but also for good deeds.
Excellent place to work for job satisfaction and benefits
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Fort calhoun Nuclear Power PlantJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: job demands/home balance
Good people who work hard to ensure excellence in utility operations.
Didn't work there long enough too write a review
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 21, 2012
Pros: salary, benefits
Cons: lack of training, coaching.
Didn't work there long enough too write a review. Very inconsistent with evaluating talent.

About Omaha Public Power District

Thirteen's the lucky number for Omaha Public Power District (OPPD). A subdivision of the Nebraska state government, OPPD generates – Read more