OmniSource

OmniSource Employer Reviews

PRODUCTIVE AND INTERESTING WORKPLACE
Quality Inspector (Current Employee), Greer, SCAugust 8, 2014
Pros: control climate work enviroment
Cons: job description never changes your doing the same thing everyday
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK IS WORKING AROUND DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND INSPECTING DIFFERENT TYPES OF CARS
High Speed
Corporate Security Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INFebruary 9, 2014
Long and constantly changing

Compliance Laws

Criminal and Civil Laws

Culture issues are the most difficult to overcome

Asset Protection
Challenging environment involving travel, ever-changing environments, and diverse people.
Health, Safety, and Environmental Intern (Current Employee), Johnson City, TNJanuary 12, 2014
I have just started work at OmniSource and will be there for 12 weeks while I am completing my Internship. This Internship is the final requirement for my degree, therefore, I will be graduating in May of this year.
So far, OmniSource has been a challenging and ever-changing environment that has taught me much already. Working with their safety manager, – more... I have already participated in yard inspections and day-to-day responsibilities within the safety department.
Once my 12 weeks is up, I will have completed the 4 projects listed on my resume and gotten feedback on my performance. – less
NOT A LONG TERM JOB
Metal Buyer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 23, 2013
Pros: paycheck healthcare
Cons: low pay no gratitude
HARD JOB BUT INTERESTING LOT OF CUSTOMER SERVICE INVOLVED LEARNED A LOT ABOUT ALL KINDS OF METAL WORKED WITH SOME NICE PEOPLE MANAGEMENT WAS NOT VERY FAIR TO THE WORKERS THEY DID NOT WANT PAY YOU WHAT YOU WHERE WORTH
very gathery,peacfule
stocker, installer, Helpers (Former Employee), Greenville, SCDecember 17, 2013
Pros: love in the air. ..
Cons: fun for your health.. . real work realy best safty
chance off ah life time resustane yo hour glass hard work pays, befor they cut yo lighs off. lol.:)
GOOD SALARY UNFAIR TREATMENT
Buyer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 30, 2013
Pros: good salary and benefits
Cons: upper management lack of moral center
i WAS THE SUPERVISOR OVER THE NON-FERROUS RETAIL BUYBACK CENTER. A TYPICAL DAY CONSISTED OF A STEADY FLOW OF RETAIL CUSTOMERS. I LEARNED HOW TO IDENTIFYN STOLEN MATERIAL BROUGHT IN FOR SALE AND WHAT STEPS TO TAKE.

MANAGEMENT WAS NOT GOOD AND LACKING ETHICS.SUPPORT WAS AVAILABLE BUT MANY TIMES INEFFECTIVE

MY PEERS WERE FOR THE MOST PART A PLEASURE – more... TO WORK WITH. MY STAFF UNDER ME WERE HARD WORKING,AGREEABLE AND LEARNED PROCEDURES QUICKLY. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS PROBLEM SOLVING.

THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS THE ENETHICAL UPPER MANAGMENT. – less
Knowledgeable Place to work at
Gravity and Water Table Operator (Current Employee), Fort Wayne, INSeptember 16, 2013
This was basically my first job that allowed me to truly understand how 401K and stocks work.
bad company
inspector (Former Employee), spartanburg scSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: horrible people and bad hours
They don't care about people. So many complaints about the floor supervisor and NOTHING was ever done. To much drama here.
Fun but boring place to work
Quality Inspector (Current Employee), Greenville, SCAugust 17, 2013
Pros: nice place to work, easy work
Cons: standing all day, feet hurting
It is an okay place to work but can be very boring with all the standing. They could stand to pay a little more for what we do and provide mats considering we stand on concrete all day long.
Scrap yard environment is not a clean place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Spartanburg, SCMay 30, 2013
*mostly data entry, purchase order processing and service calls to suppliers for contract work *I've attended several training classes for learning safety as well as Microsoft programs. *Management is different in each area. *I am one of only two females in our department. *Sorting invoices for work I wasn't aware had been performed is challenging. – more... *I enjoy company functions where people who work in all areas come together. – less
just not the same place
maintenance tech (Current Employee), Saint marys OhioApril 12, 2013
Pros: benefits, fellow co workers
Cons: hostile work enviroment
When i started out it was fine, pay was decent, and u actually enjoyed being there. When they hired a new maintenance supervisor i was appalled, when after only 3 weeks of being there verbally harassing an employee and yard supervisor, in a matter of months the maintenance supervisor has managed to drive out 5 shop employees. Nothing has been done, – more... it seems that what was once a united company is split between the yard and the shop. – less
Slow Diminish from entrepreneurial spirited Company to a numbers only focus.
Plant Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: great benefits, pay attached to performance of the company
Cons: base salary not inline with the market
-Fast paced days never a dull moment
-Once a culture of "good ol boy" advancement is recognized its time to start looking for new opportunities and challenges
Business is business and the lines of personal life vs business life should be clearly defined and adhered to.
-CEO and executive staff are of high moral character and some of the best I've worked – more... for. Locally, would like to see a higher level of professionalism and maturity.
- Majority of everyone at this company are good people providing an honorable service to its community, and would give you the shirts off of there backs.
-sailing the stormy sees of office politics
- opportunity to learn something new each day – less
constant paced work base
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee), Lexington, KYDecember 4, 2012
Pros: decent pay
Cons: no temp to hire
Jobs although temporary provided stable income to myself and family. I learned how to operate the slip sheet lift. Employees worked as a team to complete the task for the night. Hardest part of the job was recounting or reorganizing part changes occurding to update numbers.
ok place
Heavy Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Former Employee), Kernersville, NCDecember 1, 2012
Pros: great pay
Cons: horrible values
not a good place to work once they were bought out..great small company who looked out for there own...once bought...they didnt want the people who worked there for years...
was a great place to work
Pros: good workers
Cons: horrible management//owners
until they got bought out by a huge company...who didnt care about the people who had put there lives in the company...
Owners representative/Project Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 6, 2012
good place to work only the east and west coast was hard to get to in bad weather working in Boston and Portland Or. was a pain
mine
production operator (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INOctober 26, 2012
Cons: heavy dust
typical day I was a machine operator. I would get alum. bit's and peices out of invontory to fill the machine that I ran, then fill poly bag's with 30 puund's of material seal the bag then put in a box. When the box got fill I would cover the box with a box liner band it to the skid, hop on a fork lift take it to a scale fill out a weight ticket for – more... it and put it back in inventory – less
Physical Labor
Retail Yard Grader (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: great benifits
Cons: short lunch, alot of physical labor
Learned the forklift bobcat light shears and shaker tables
A typical day was helping people unload and writing Product Reveiws
Good co-workers, easy to get along
Hardest part is around mid-day when everyone flooded in
Decent Job
Front-end loader operator/Maintenance (Former Employee), Montvale, VAAugust 18, 2012
Pros: enjoyable work environment.
Cons: had hiring freeze could not get hired full time.
Not a bad place to work. Good safe work environment. mid to lower end pay but over all not bad money for the work performed.
Interesting addition to my experience in the Transportation field; it taught me a lot about myself.
DISPATCH MANAGER (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INJuly 6, 2012
Pros: my boss was a very good manager of people and situations.
Cons: it was tough being on-call 24/7.
It was interesting learning about the many inbound scrap materials, and determining what their uses might be as outbound shipments.