OmniSource Employee Reviews

Fast paced
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Dayton, TNDecember 5, 2016
Fast paced and detail oriented, the most enjoyable part was working with others. The management was tolerable and would work with you.
Great place
Warehouse Packer (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INJuly 8, 2016
It was an great place to work easy work bosses cared about their employees would love to go back if I was able the amount of work was easy the fast pace didn't leave me bored
Productive with great teamwork.
Line Worker/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 5, 2016
I learned a variety of skills and trades such as heavy equipment operations, production line experience, high standards for cleanliness in a very dusty and dirty environment.
Pros
paid lunches. good pay.
Cons
breathing in dust
very Dirty job
maintenance/cleaner (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 15, 2016
very dirty and weather affected.how to to drive a skid steer. co-worker was a good guy. the entire job was hard because of weather.finishing another day at omnisource
Pros
1hr break
Cons
it was very dirty
Recycling great for the environment. Very good engineers.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 24, 2016
Gained experience recruiting CDL drivers. Enjoyed assisting with payroll and the consistency of payroll. Learning about the products that are created from recycled metals was amazing.
Pros
Nice work space, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
Temporary assignment completed.
Aweful Company to work for
Office (Former Employee) –  SpartanburgOctober 15, 2015
Do not waste your time trying to get a job with this company. You will regret it. They do not care about their people, poor management
Coworkers made it a stressful atmosphere but always stayed productive.
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 16, 2015
I didn't prefer working at Kenco, due to my coworkers. Individuals made it difficult to come to work or rather even stay. It didn't however displace my ability to work at my full potential.
it is a job.
truck driver (Former Employee) –  fort wayne in.February 25, 2015
I started in 1996 when Omni was a family owned business.it was a great place to work. since 2007 Omni has been owned by steel dynamics. at first it was great. but the last few years, business has gotten more competitive. we have slowly lost work and respect for sdi.
Pros
bonuses and stocks.
Cons
it seems like the more work you do, the more they want out of you.
Great teamwork between workers and management
Dock Worker/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 17, 2014
Morning meeting to see what was needed at the time. Types and grades of metal. I learned packaging of products. Management was helpful and willing to teach. Co-workers learned how to come together to work hand in hand, The hardest part of the job was winter time. the best part of the day was when we knew that we accomplished the day.
Pros
Potluck lunches
Cons
cold weather months
They did good in finding me a job within a weeks after I had applied.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TNAugust 14, 2014
My job at Derby was like any other day. I punch in at the time clock about 10 minutes before it was time to start, because it took about 5 minutes to walk back to the area where I had to work. I learned how to train others that were having trouble remembering what to do. The guy that was in charge over everyone in our area was great. Every day was different but fun, he always made you smile. Of course everyone had their off days when everything seemed to go wrong. Sometimes co-workers didn't show up for work and it made it harder on the rest of use, however we all got through the day. I liked the job mainly because it was really easy, and my co-workers was one of the reasons it was easy. I enjoyed working with and around then, and yes I do miss some of them. Any time someone needed help in catching up on their pallet, someone was there to help.
Pros
The ONLY thing I did not like about the job is that there was no air conditioning, and it got really hot.
Cons
Every now and then Derby would provide Lunch for everyone, and when it was really hot, someone would bring a HUGE jug of tea for everyone to stay hydrated.
Productive and interesting workplace
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCAugust 8, 2014
A typical day at work is working around different people and inspecting different types of cars
Pros
CONTROL CLIMATE WORK ENVIROMENT
Cons
JOB DESCRIPTION NEVER CHANGES YOUR DOING THE SAME THING EVERYDAY
High Speed
Corporate Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 9, 2014
Long and constantly changing

Compliance Laws

Criminal and Civil Laws

Culture issues are the most difficult to overcome

Asset Protection
Challenging environment involving travel, ever-changing environments, and diverse people.
Health, Safety, and Environmental Intern (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJanuary 12, 2014
I have just started work at OmniSource and will be there for 12 weeks while I am completing my Internship. This Internship is the final requirement for my degree, therefore, I will be graduating in May of this year.
So far, OmniSource has been a challenging and ever-changing environment that has taught me much already. Working with their safety manager, I have already participated in yard inspections and day-to-day responsibilities within the safety department.
Once my 12 weeks is up, I will have completed the 4 projects listed on my resume and gotten feedback on my performance.
Not a long term job
Metal Buyer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 23, 2013
Hard job but interesting lot of customer service involved learned a lot about all kinds of metal worked with some nice people management was not very fair to the workers they did not want pay you what you where worth
Pros
PAYCHECK HEALTHCARE
Cons
LOW PAY NO GRATITUDE
very gathery,peacfule
stocker, installer, Helpers (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 17, 2013
chance off ah life time resustane yo hour glass hard work pays, befor they cut yo lighs off. lol.:)
Pros
love in the air. ..
Cons
fun for your health.. . real work realy best safty
Good salary unfair treatment
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 30, 2013
I was the supervisor over the non-ferrous retail buyback center. A typical day consisted of a steady flow of retail customers. I learned how to identifyn stolen material brought in for sale and what steps to take.

Management was not good and lacking ethics.Support was available but many times ineffective

My peers were for the most part a pleasure to work with. My staff under me were hard working,agreeable and learned procedures quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was problem solving.

The hardest part of the job was the enethical upper managment.
Pros
GOOD SALARY AND BENEFITS
Cons
UPPER MANAGEMENT LACK OF MORAL CENTER
Knowledgeable Place to work at
Gravity and Water Table Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 16, 2013
This was basically my first job that allowed me to truly understand how 401K and stocks work.
bad company
inspector (Former Employee) –  spartanburg scSeptember 11, 2013
They don't care about people. So many complaints about the floor supervisor and NOTHING was ever done. To much drama here.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
horrible people and bad hours
Fun but boring place to work
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 17, 2013
It is an okay place to work but can be very boring with all the standing. They could stand to pay a little more for what we do and provide mats considering we stand on concrete all day long.
Pros
Nice place to work, easy work
Cons
Standing all day, feet hurting
Scrap yard environment is not a clean place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 30, 2013
*mostly data entry, purchase order processing and service calls to suppliers for contract work *I've attended several training classes for learning safety as well as Microsoft programs. *Management is different in each area. *I am one of only two females in our department. *Sorting invoices for work I wasn't aware had been performed is challenging. *I enjoy company functions where people who work in all areas come together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OmniSource. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9