On Target Utility Services Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Worst job ever
Operator (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTJanuary 13, 2018
The manager is useless, the pay sucks, you risk your life in the middle of traffic with no escort. They give you these ancient outdated maps and broken equipment, and if someone hits a line it's your fault. The manager was too busy chasing a female employee to help. Then they call you in the middle of the night to go Mark something, then still get up the next morning to work.
Pleasant Working Environment
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MEOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at On Target. There is a recruitment cycle that makes certain times of year very busy, but that is balanced out by the rest of the year when you have time to catch up on filing, etc.
Don't apply please.
Locator (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTMay 18, 2017
If you will apply to On Target Utilities Services, you will regret after few days. Please apply for a different job. It's not a career, don't believe it. There's nothing good about it at all. 0 out of 10 rate.
Pros
Cons
Everything, You're going to hate your life after a week.
Lack of feedback
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 9, 2017
The job was great as far as the daily requirements. The lack of any feedback was disappointing. Given a company car, laptop and phone. On call 1 week per month.
Pros
Working on your own.
Cons
no feedback
independent jobs
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJanuary 31, 2017
fun job, very independent work. if you love working alone this is a great job. long days, put a lot of miles on the car in a single day, dealing with constant phone calls is a pain
worked in CT very supportive local managment
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 1, 2016
over all good locating company to work for in CT. Good training and local support from management was a plus compared to other locating companies I have worked for.
Benefits could be better but was fairly compensated for hourly work with overtime.
Pros
company car, gas, freedom
Cons
on call
Independent work your own hours out of your home.
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MESeptember 29, 2016
On Target is a decent company to work for with supportive supervisors and decent perks. Once you are comfortable with your area of responsibility and get used to the areas where buried utilities are located, day to day work is a breeze. You basically work out of your home and start and end your day whenever you want as long as you complete all dig safe requests within the 72 business hours as required. As long as you take responsibility for your area and don't let tickets go late, you may not hear from supervision for weeks at a time. This job is as close to being self employed without being self employed if you know what I mean.

During the busy season (April to November) you can expect to work 50-70 hours a week to stay on top of the tickets coming in every day (with opportunities to work more if so desired, including out of state, where they will put you up in a hotel to help catch up on the ticket demand). It can get stressful at times as there is not enough manning to help you out when you really need it because all other locators are just as busy if not busier depending on area.
During the winter in the north east most construction comes to an end, and so do the digsafe requests coming in. That also means your hours will drop below 30 a week, so SAVE some of your massive summer checks to make up for the poverty level income you will earn in the winter.

The pay could be better for the amount of responsibility you have but it semi makes up for itself with the company vehicle and gas card. I haven't purchased gas for my personal vehicle in about 3 months let alone
  more... put more than 100 miles on it. In all honesty, the level of pay is about $5 per hour less than it should be for the amount of responsibility that rests soley on your shoulders.

To conclude, my experience at On Target was a positive one and I don't understand all the negative reviews past employees have left. The job is what you make it.
Pros
Freedom, not micro managed, paid time starts and ends at your front door.
Cons
ON CALL 24/7 is not for the feint of heart. Massive workload in busy season, Miniscuel work load in winter
not really that bad
Locator (Former Employee) –  MAMay 9, 2016
Ok so ive been reading some reviews and yall complain about the prints and hours. ok yes 80hrs a week sucks but there is little to no work in the winter.............save the money dummy. I worked for a underground fiber company in the south and they had me locate everything. not just cable and phone but electric, dead lines, water lines and gas and sewer. No prints or plats or anything but a outdated piece of locating equipment. so for all of you complaining that the prints are wrong well the real reason is because its a "GUIDE" not a 100% correct map. quit your complaining and do your job
worst job
Locator (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 30, 2016
it is the worst job i ever had the pay stinks s they treat you like garabge they never get you help. they tell you it your job to manage your work even know they load you up wit tickets being on call 24/7 with nothing for being on call, the insurance is very poor with a high delectable there is nothing good about them
Pros
Cons
poor wages
this was a good, busy job with interesting functions
Dispatcher/customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MEAugust 10, 2015
There was always something to do here--and new things to do on a regular basis. Management frequently observed and reported on job performance. There will always be a need for this kind of work.
Perhaps the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of working for.
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  New HampshireApril 24, 2015
Why 1 star? How bad can it be?

Well, I've worked for a lot of bad companies, and I will say I believe On Target is worse than 80% of them. First off let me say that I had high expectations for this job and they made it sound good in the interview. I was told the following things during my interview: I would be on call one week a month, and there would be some overtime. I was also told we got a reasonable vehicle with AC/heat, and other common and expected features. I was told I could make my own hours, and basically be my own boss.

The reality was I ended up instantly being put on call every other week. This is while working 50-70+ hour work weeks. I was told I had to always have my company phone on, regardless if on call or not, and had to be available to take emergencies locally 5 days a week from 6am-5pm, since that's when their office is open. So whether or not you want to, you end up working 11+ hour days almost all the time. There is 0 balance in this role - if you have kids, or a dog, or friends, don't expect to get any time with any of them.

The amount of work that gets heaped upon you is ridiculous: yes you get paid for driving around in the company car, but you are expected to do 2-3 tickets an hour (jobs). The jobs may be 5 mins. but they may be 4 hours, along miles of busy road where you have to mark in paint for each utility every 20 ft. Some jobs take half an hour just to drive to, and then you'll get an emergency. You plan your whole day out, and you'll get a call you are expected to take immediately, and run out to who knows where to handle it. Then
  more... the staggering amount of tickets they give you in a day (20-40 or more) start to be late because of this. And the boss will call and harass you and yell that your tickets are late.

Now, let's talk pay: the pay is at least $4-6 an hour less than what it should realistically be for the workload and responsibilities you have to take on. There isn't a ton of physical labor, but it does tire you out carrying a big duffel bag of gear around constantly.

Now let's mention work-related hazards: aside from the obvious heightened risk of a car accident from being on the road all day, you'll open up a cable pedestal or phone ped to connect to it, and they're full of bees. And this isn't just once in a while. It's frequently. So prepared to get stung by lots of bees. Also prepare to dodge traffic in busy intersections. I was almost hit by cars a few times, and that is while being careful with a bright neon vest. You're also walking on lawns and woods, etc, so there is the issue of ticks and mosquitoes, and those things. You'll also deal with crazy and angry homeowners, who wonder why you're on their lawn. I had one tattooed sleeze-bag in a wife beater actually sic his dog on me, which I luckily got in the company car first.

Speaking of the Company Car: the vehicle On Target supplied was an 8 yr old piece of junk with almost 200K miles on it. It died the 2nd day I had it. Then it got fixed. Of course, I was still responsible for all the tickets they heaped on me even with their junk car (oh and their training is terrible, they just throw you to the wolves). The car died twice more in the next 2 weeks too! Finally, after another guy's car also died, he quit, and then I got his junk car because it was fixed first.

The other equipment they give you is also junk: they buy the cheapest imitation batteries they can, which always die, and then for no reason your transmitter or receiver (the 2 main pieces you need to do the job everyday all day), will just stop working. I went through 2 in a month.

What about career advancement, assuming you are willing to put up with all this for $13 an hour: there is no way to advance. Even if you got to supervisor, all it is is a glorified locator for more money, and you're still doing much of the same work, with more hours, and more duties on top of that.

And I haven't even mentioned on call, because it sucks so bad I don't want to. You get home from a 12 hr day, the last thing you want to do is work more. And you'll get a call to go back to work. And you will also be furloughed every other week in the winter, which is 60% of your base pay since they run out of work.

This job wa a HUGE mistake on my part, I strongly suggest you steer clear of this shady company. If not, don't say you weren't warned.
Pros
I can't actually think of one.
Cons
no break, long days, insane workload, terrible equipment, low pay, mandatory on call, and lots of physical dangers
Good Luck !
Locator (Former Employee) –  MAMarch 13, 2014
Shaky fly by night company. They give you horrible diagrams called "plats" of where the phone lines are supposed to be located and they are at least 50% wrong - but you as a locator are supposed to be 100% accurate! You get paid $13/hour to locate million dollar lines. These diagrams were made by the phone companies, yet if you mark a phone line incorrectly because you thought you were on it, the phone company or On Target the company takes no responsibility if the wire gets cut by a contractor. The locating technology itself sucks and is not even ready for use. The equipment cannot tell the difference between a dead line underground, a phone line, cable tv line, power line and even metal gas pipes. Your supervisor and management will tell you that you should be able to tell, but thats a crock of baloney. Buried lines are laid a foot apart, they branch this way and that way, make turns, sometimes its like spaghetti down there. On top of that they set a "tickets per hour" requirement so its obvious they dont know jack about locating.
They have a fleet of falling apart pickups that are ready for the scrap yard. If you tell your southeastern MA supervisor about an issue with the truck his answer is always "later, another day". They promote the suckups into supervisors.
You dont get paid an extra penny for being "on call" which starts at 5 PM each weeknight, and then runs 24 hours a day for Sat & Sun. You do get paid if you have to go out to a call. Call area is way too big. You can get called out to a call 40 miles away at 1 a.m. then get back home at 3 am, then get called
  more... out again the minute you get home, and you still have to go out and do a regular day because you'll have tickets that are due.  less
Pros
Company truck, working alone, a bit of freedom.
Cons
Low pay, on call is ridiculous, junk equipment, junk trucks, worthless diagrams
Good first job if you want to get into locating but don't expect to last long!
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  MAMarch 1, 2014
Your day starts off by downloading work tickets on your company laptop and go to the jobs in order of when they are due. Paid training and they can put you in a hotel if you live away from the training location. Training in the classroom is about a week and a half where you learn about locating theory. You spend about a month in the field being trained with another locator. The utility maps though are just thrown at you for you to try to understand and can be very misleading at times. The job can be rewarding with hard work and a good effort put in the job but you run into contractors digging before their ticket is due, management telling you that you need to get two tickets done an hour which is almost impossible as every job varies in size, and equipment breaking all the time just to be replaced with another piece of equipment that is broken also. Management is in CT & MA with corporate being in ME. Management can be very hard if not impossible to reach if you need them. Another thing you run into is getting bad directions to where contractors are working, so you call a contractor to have them pinpoint where they plan on working sometimes they pick up most often no answer or reply to messages. The most basic thing like Google maps would help in your job but they block the internet on the work laptop which can make work frustrating because the map software on the laptop is from 2008 and jobs are on new streets sometimes not on the map software. If you enjoy getting paid to drive around and see new sights while having a challenge then this job is for you!
Pros
Company car with gas and maintenance covered, Company Cell Phone
Cons
Unpaid lunch, equipment constantly breaking down, benefits are not the best, 24/7 on-call for a week each month
Independent working environment
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Holliston, MaFebruary 12, 2014
Marked out under ground utilities referencing utility plats from schedule down loaded from main office.

The hardest parts of this job were:
1. being on call for 24 hours a day for a week at a time monthly
2. working outside in any and all weather regardless of severe storm conditions
3. Seasonal work / lay offs in winter months

The best part of this job was being able to work independently as long as assigned work schedule was met.
Pros
company supplied computer, truck, and locating equipment and supplies
Cons
on call 24 hours a day for a week at a time, every month
Long, lonely hours for very little pay
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  New EnglandOctober 17, 2013
Constantly understaffed. Not uncommon to work 90+ hours in a week, not to mention being on call at night. Starting pay is around $12/hr, so the turnover is a huge problem. The only employees they can seem to keep are kids that still live with their parents, as they are the only ones that can survive on such a low wage. Benefits are nearly non-existent. It seems rare for anyone to last more than a year with the company before they find something better.
Pros
Work on your own almost all the time, if you prefer that.
Cons
Work car that is provided are usually on the verge of being junked, no heat/AC in many of the vehicles. 14 hour workdays, 6-7 days a week.
Not enough training for the job
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MEMarch 12, 2013
A typical day at work requires reading maps that are basically thrown at you. The classroom training is a joke. And the management is ridiculous.
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MEDecember 11, 2012
Great place to work with plenty of room for growth and advancement
Team work, Daily schedule of duties.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 5, 2012
Typical day at work would be to first run work from CMP system and print for scheduling. Timesheets collected and entered daily for the week.
Report work completed in the system and set aside ones that were not complete for completion at a later time.
Co-workers fun to work with and supportive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On Target Utility Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7