On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina Employee Reviews

The new Applebee's
Kitchen Manager/Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJanuary 26, 2017
They say they want their staff to do the right thing, but corporate management is do as I say not as I do! If you want a decent paying job with more issue's than you can shake a stick at, then OTB is the place for you. OTB's enjoys to coupon so it bring a difficult cliental for you to experience.
Pros
They paid well
Cons
Upper management is all over the place
Food Service
Server (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJJanuary 13, 2017
If you can handle stressful, demanding, and often chaotic shifts, then this restaurant is the one you want to work for. With the expected culture abandoning conventional mores regarding what is OK in the work place, carry with you caution should you love members of the same gender, have female genitalia, are of an advanced age, or are of color.
Low pay and poor management
Hostess/Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMay 6, 2016
Management was so awful at my location that when we had guest managers come by they would apologize for what we had to deal with everyday. Pay was barely minimum wage and there were never any bonuses or raises at all, no matter how long you worked for the company. Some weeks the place would be so busy you wouldnt get off until hours after closing for days at a time but some weeks they would cancel all your shifts because it wasn't busy. Your checks were really inconsistent. The discount was only 50 percent off certain items.
Pros
half off food
Cons
poor management, inconsistent hours, low pay
Good Food at a good price.
Server/wait staff (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 23, 2016
Can be a very busy place at times!! Has a good come back by patrons. Daily specials in both the Cantina & dinning room. A fun place to work most of the time.
fast paced
ToGo specialist (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Good part time job for high school students. Management was good at my location. The pay is lovely, but after 4 years of there, it felt like I needed more. But after all this, the job is still good for a 1st job.
On The Border is great
Host/TOGO (Former Employee) –  RockwallSeptember 9, 2015
Everyday at On The Border was a blast. From the minute I walked in, greeted by my managers and friends/coworkers. Management was overwhelmingly supportive of all my dreams. Even when the "big guys" came in, it was fun. They always helped out and tried to get to know everyone. The regional director even listened to One Direction because I asked him to. It was easy to go over and beyond for a company that did the same for me.
Pros
Best work environment
Cons
Sometimes it's nonstop craziness, but that can be fun
fast pace and fun place to move forward
Hostess/To-Go (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2015
a typical evening at work included greeting and seating guests, cleaning tables, taking to go orders, running the cash register and making sure the front of the house ran smoothly. I learned to work as a team, and the management was wonderful as were my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the wait list on weekend nights when it was incredibly busy and the most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team with the co-workers to have a wonderful evening at work.
Great environment and fun staff
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 28, 2015
I worked part time but had an absolute blast serving customers with food and alcohol. I learned how to communicate and approach customers as well as providing them with the best service. The managers and my coworkers were fun to be around and easy to talk to. The hardest part was working this job as well as my other job but the most enjoyable was getting to know the customers.
Pros
great managers and fun atmosphere
Cons
no full time
Nooooo! Don't work here!
Server (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 31, 2015
Never Again! This was by far the worst job I ever had. I nevered made decent money here. The servers had to tip out the, bartender.silverware roller,essay(person that brings chip and salsa to the table),and the dishwasher. On top of that we were responsible for bringing a 20$ bank to work everyday which is impossible when your not making any money. The manager would hire new people every week, and put 3 of us in one section. They don't care about the employees at all. All I would here is guest satisfaction score all day long in my ear. 60% of the customers was rude , and treated me like a slave. After 3 months I couldn't take it anymore.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, Rude Customers, Pay non-existent
Fun fast paced environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 13, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Friendly work environment and staff. Meeting new people and getting to talk to them all while providing them with perfect service is enjoyable.
Pros
Discounts on food, manageable schedule, great atmosphere
Cons
none.
fun and productive
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 29, 2015
Working at On The Border taught me how to work with others under pressure. The management was really good and understandable when it came to something coming up unexpectedly. My co-workers were pretty friendly and were not hard to work with.The hardest part of the job was working with the rude cutomer.
My first job and it was wonderful
Server (Current Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLNovember 2, 2015
Chick-Fil-A honestly teaches you all of the essentials that you need in the workforce. This was my first job and I', honored to have the opportunity to represent such an establishment.
Pros
Prepares you for workforce
Most unorganized chaotic restaurant ever worked at in decades
Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDSeptember 18, 2014
Young inexperienced mgmt, promoting mgrs from servers in order to promote from within which caused major conflicts of interest & unskilled mgmt team, understaffed, benefits beyond unaffordable, cuts not made effectively, unsanitary environment & procedures, underaged bartenders, inept minor hosts, unprofessional relationships amongst staff & mgmt, nearly all bi/gay male workplace, incompetent a/o inebriated cooks, constantly unstocked, no waiting list so servers overwhelmed & guests dissatisfied, backwards time consuming methods/procedures, etc.
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Chaotic environment
Typical work day
Host/ Catering (Former Employee) –  Dublin CaAugust 6, 2012
Typical work day was the same each day, I would arrive to work, Make sure everything was restocked at the host stand and check which servers are on, cut the morning servers and check restrooms. I learned lots of hospitality especially with there "mucho gusto" attitude. Management was very nice but unorganized, people were cut way too early and only worked a couple hours a shift. My co workers are my best friends. The Job was fairly easy and manageable.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
short shifts
Teamwork was what needed to happen on a everyday basis!
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 19, 2012
Management helped servers when needed. Teamwork was very important in a waitresse's life as you relied not only on yourself but your teammates to help when your area became crazy busy and needed an extra hand. This helped not only you in providing good service but also the customer that was in your area to receive the best service possible.
Pros
teamwork, a sense of belonging and empowerment
Cons
people that didn't believe in teamwork, lazy managers and bad customers
Great training and Management support!!
Server (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 17, 2013
This is a great place to work as a server. They provide excellent and thorough training for their new employees. Based on your progress and experience, you can begin to work shift lead and make lots of money. My coworkers are very team oriented and helpful when it comes to learning the ropes. The menu is rather long, but as long as you study up, it becomes easy to understand and explain to guests. The management is also very supportive and helps our staff progress. I enjoy working in this team work environment.
Pros
50% off meals while on the shift & free meals for shift leads
Cons
Lots of side work if you don't have a partner
I learned the ins and outs when it came to customer service
Waitress/Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 18, 2014
• Trainer to all new employees to ensure they have the right tools and attitude to provide guests with excellent service
• Received 2nd highest in sales for Susan G. Komen fundraiser, raising a total of $ 3,247.00 for our store
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Provided award winning customer service within a fast-paced, commercial environment
on the border
Host, Server, Shift Lead, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 11, 2015
This was a fun and fast paced work environment! Enjoyed the team environment and ability to work with my schedule. I took a lot away from this job about being a part of a team and knowing how to lead a team.
Unorganized, micro managing, and terrible management!
bartender (Former Employee) –  oklahoma cityJune 10, 2015
for the sake of your happiness do not work here. The managers are terrible! Only criticism no appreciation! They would rather micromanage than help during a rush. Inappropriate and sexist to the extreme!
Pros
No benefits
On The Border is restaurant that enstills initiative & pride in what you do.
Key hourly manager, server, cook, trainer (Current Employee) –  West Springfield, MASeptember 19, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job is the high morale. We are encouraged to have fun while doing our job. We are held the the highest standards of service intitiative. There is room for growth and adnvacement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6