On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina

On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina Employee Reviews

Unorganized, micro managing, and terrible management!
bartender (Former Employee), oklahoma cityJune 10, 2015
Pros: No benefits
for the sake of your happiness do not work here. The managers are terrible! Only criticism no appreciation! They would rather micromanage than help during a rush. Inappropriate and sexist to the extreme!
Nooooo! Don't work here!
Server (Former Employee), TexasMay 31, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: No breaks, Rude Customers, Pay non-existent
Never Again! This was by far the worst job I ever had. I nevered made decent money here. The servers had to tip out the, bartender.silverware roller,essay(person that brings chip and salsa to the table),and the dishwasher. On top of that we were responsible for bringing a 20$ bank to work everyday which is impossible when your not making any money. The manager would hire new people every week, and put 3 of us in one section. They don't care about the employees at all. All I would here is guest satisfaction score all day long in my ear. 60% of the customers was rude , and treated me like a slave. After 3 months I couldn't take it anymore.
So unhappy
Server (Current Employee), Vernon Hills ILJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Do not work at the Vernon hills, IL location. I just can't get into everything but under no circumstances should you work here as a bartender or server. I'm quitting soon I'm miserable
fast paced workplace
Server (Current Employee), Plano, TXOctober 7, 2014
You have to work a lot of hours and pull a lot of doubles to make some real money to live off of. most servers have second jobs. the tips are pretty good management at the Plano, TX location are great they work with your schedule and try to get you as many hours as needed.
Most unorganized chaotic restaurant ever worked at in decades
Server (Former Employee), Bowie, MDSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: flexibility in scheduling
Cons: chaotic environment
Young inexperienced mgmt, promoting mgrs from servers in order to promote from within which caused major conflicts of interest & unskilled mgmt team, understaffed, benefits beyond unaffordable, cuts not made effectively, unsanitary environment & procedures, underaged bartenders, inept minor hosts, unprofessional relationships amongst staff & mgmt, nearly all bi/gay male workplace, incompetent a/o inebriated cooks, constantly unstocked, no waiting list so servers overwhelmed & guests dissatisfied, backwards time consuming methods/procedures, etc.
Fast pace and great place to grow
General Manager (Current Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJuly 3, 2014
Fast pace and a great restaurant to grow and learn. Typically managers are responsible for guest satisfaction, employees and food/beverage quality, as well as accounting and depositing the daily monies and reports.
I learned the ins and outs when it came to customer service
Waitress/Cocktail Server (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 18, 2014
• Trainer to all new employees to ensure they have the right tools and attitude to provide guests with excellent service
• Received 2nd highest in sales for Susan G. Komen fundraiser, raising a total of $ 3,247.00 for our store
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Provided award winning customer service within a fast-paced, commercial environment
very slow restaurant with poor management
Server/Trainer (Former Employee), Saint Charles, ILFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: no money
there are alot of restaurants in the area, you're better off at one of those.
Great training and Management support!!
Server (Current Employee), Kennesaw, GANovember 17, 2013
Pros: 50% off meals while on the shift & free meals for shift leads
Cons: lots of side work if you don't have a partner
This is a great place to work as a server. They provide excellent and thorough training for their new employees. Based on your progress and experience, you can begin to work shift lead and make lots of money. My coworkers are very team oriented and helpful when it comes to learning the ropes. The menu is rather long, but as long as you study up, it becomes easy to understand and explain to guests. The management is also very supportive and helps our staff progress. I enjoy working in this team work environment.
Great employees, fun atmosphere
Server (Former Employee), Independence, MOOctober 31, 2013
Pros: plenty of hours
Cons: poor management
The bond you create with your coworkers is unreal. It is truely a family in the workplace. Only thing that should change is management. Certain people in a position of power shouldn't have it.
A great place to learn professional skills at a restaurant
Host (Former Employee), Tyler, TXApril 15, 2013
Pros: professional experience.
Cons: feeling pulled in multiple directions by demands of the job, customer requests, trying to get/give answers to questions from/to other co-workers
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK
As a host, my primary duties included greeting the guests, finding them a seat with the next server in the rotation, and helping to clear/set-up tables for the next guests. I occasionally helped with serving customers their meals, as well. Regular bathroom checks to make sure they were clean and well supplied. When needed, I'd roll up silverware in napkins.

WHAT I LEARNED
I got to experience a more professional, up-scale environment of restaurant. I learned a bit more about presentation and how to refine my "first impression" skills.

MANAGEMENT
My managers were professional but never lacked on a level that said, "I'm your manager, but you're not beneath me." They made it easy to respect their authority and listened, rather than simply barking commands and expecting compliance.

MY CO-WORKERS
My co-workers were varied in personality and values. This sparked some interesting discussions many times. But for the most part, we got along well, which is important in such a work place. At the end of the day, there was still a level of professional respect if nothing else.

HARDEST PART OF THE JOB
Keeping a clear picture of which server to seat next based on size of the in-coming group of peoples and which server got seated only a moment ago (so not to overload them and their ability to serve each customer well), especially when times were extremely busy and chaotic. Making sure each group got seated in order and within a reasonable time.

MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB
Finding ways to make sure the customers felt attended to and that their requests were handled promptly and with priority. Occasionally I would try to find ways to do extra, such as getting extra crayons for their kids to color with when one set only had three colors.
Fun, fast-paced work environment
Server (Current Employee), Warwick, RIDecember 4, 2012
• Extensive customer service
• Ability to multi-task and work with teams
• Strong communication skills
Teamwork was what needed to happen on a everyday basis!
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee), Irving, TXOctober 19, 2012
Pros: teamwork, a sense of belonging and empowerment
Cons: people that didn't believe in teamwork, lazy managers and bad customers
Management helped servers when needed. Teamwork was very important in a waitresse's life as you relied not only on yourself but your teammates to help when your area became crazy busy and needed an extra hand. This helped not only you in providing good service but also the customer that was in your area to receive the best service possible.
On The Border is restaurant that enstills initiative & pride in what you do.
Key hourly manager, server, cook, trainer (Current Employee), West Springfield, MASeptember 19, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job is the high morale. We are encouraged to have fun while doing our job. We are held the the highest standards of service intitiative. There is room for growth and adnvacement.
Typical work day
Host/ Catering (Former Employee), Dublin CaAugust 6, 2012
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: short shifts
Typical work day was the same each day, I would arrive to work, Make sure everything was restocked at the host stand and check which servers are on, cut the morning servers and check restrooms. I learned lots of hospitality especially with there "mucho gusto" attitude. Management was very nice but unorganized, people were cut way too early and only worked a couple hours a shift. My co workers are my best friends. The Job was fairly easy and manageable.

On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina Salaries