On The Border Employee Reviews

kitchen manager
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 14, 2016
§ Accountable for controlling labor costs, food costs, and daily operations.
§ Fostered an environment in which guests enjoyed high levels of service.
§ Motivated team members to meet high performance goals.
Pros
excellent training
Cons
exceptional amount of hours worked.
fun
Server (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 23, 2016
gets very busy at times and you have to be able to move quickly. Management was really hard on certain people and played favortism
Fun workplace
SERVING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Everyone, including management were very open to everyone that was new to the business. Had flexible hours and a good pay rate.
Great Atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 29, 2016
I was always a leader and was treated as such, the managers always had the good of the company,employees, and customers in mind.
Fun Place To Work Yet Cons Outweigh Pros
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 12, 2015
During my period of employment, the management tried their utmost to work with me and my high school schedule. They heeded my requests whenever possible. The work place was energetic and positive 50% of the time. Most employees were lazy upon pulling their weight and the stressful environment along with the mediocre pay far outweighs the positivity. The long hours without any form of break to eat or drink contributed negatively to the environment.
Pros
Free lunches..during training/Experience
Cons
Nearly no breaks, stressful or lazy employees, lax management on wrong issues
Fast paced work with hard working coworkers
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PADecember 13, 2015
A typical work day would consist of preparing for lunch or dinner, cooking food for all guests while keeping a clean work environment, followed by clean up and break down at the end of the night. This job has taught me time management, team work, and great communication skills.
Pros
Discounted food, decent pay, great managers
Cons
no designated breaks
too much work for too little pay
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 5, 2013
This company expects you to work your butt off for very little money. There is no backbone to the management, and they will not help you out or stand behind you. You are expected to work a 12 hour shift with no breaks at all. It is common to be scheduled every single day, so no days off. When it comes to take your paid vacation that you may take once a year, the management will tell you no, that you cannot have it. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE place to work!
Pros
half off shift meal
Cons
no breaks, no benifits, terrible schedule
Very active workpplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 8, 2016
I did a lot of prep in the kitchen, cleaned the fryers and made sure all of the fried foods were prepped as well. I developed more of a sense of urgency while working here the year I did.
Great company that strives on hard work and compensation
Pramood Hagalwadi (Trainer) (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXSeptember 12, 2013
Working as a Trainer for the Number One On The Border in the company was thrilling, I was challenged and motivated from day one, they raised me from someone who had no serving experience to becoming a gold level trainer. High volume, is the best way to describe the busiest restaurant in town, with large multi-table sections it was a bast entertaining guests and running a floor.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 9, 2016
Typical day at work would be assisting the restaurant in any way possible in order to ensure a smooth shift and a great customer experience.
good restuarant
Server (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARFebruary 3, 2016
I worked here for 2 years. It was my first serving job, I made very good money. I loved the managers and my coworkers. Left this job because of the hours and was hired on at marshalls
Pros
half off food
Cons
no hours
Team members are great (employees)
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TexasAugust 4, 2014
Super busy considering the surrounding options. Mainly busy because of staffing. If fully staffed then it wouldn't appear to be busy.
Bar/Cocktail area always busy.
Employees are awesome.
Very difficult to manage and help guests when manager is working a function.
Overall ok.
Pros
insurance benefits
Cons
staff is limited, including, management
Flexible schedules, great management, fun place for the most part
Bartender, server (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ArJanuary 12, 2013
The management team at the Rogers On The Border is excellent. They are willing to work with employees on schedules and around families. Most of us have fun at work and the team work is usually excellent.
Pros
fun staff, helpful management, flexibility
Cons
benefits are lacking, some employees have to be pushed a little to get things done
Don't work here
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 16, 2015
The job is too stressful with no organization. The amount of emphasis on chips and salsa as a free appetizer and constantly refilling them on a Friday and Saturday night while maintaining five needy tables is just too much for someone to manage properly. It's why they have a massive amount of customer complaints. I understand customers are extremely needy now, but adding to the disaster by assigning two people per ten table section with no emphasis on who gets what tables is a headache and always bound to fail. The worst part was the management. They obviously were too stressed out and the over aggressive assistant manager does not have an ounce of actual leadership skills. Her attitude and professionalism is beyond her position and should have been fired long before hand.
Pros
there are no pros. you work almost 12-13 hours a day and you get maybe 2 hours break in between, which doesn't make sense.
Cons
list goes on.
i love everyone who works here
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXNovember 2, 2015
Everyone is so sweet which makes working not so terrible, server hours suck, tips are pretty good., like a family! full time
Pros
50% off food after a shift!
Cons
ALOT of hours
Horrible Work Experience
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Holtsville, NYNovember 5, 2015
The management was okay, but there was no life-work balance. The co-workers were great. The food was good, but the management forgot that this job was their life, not mine. it was impossible to get a day off to study for school.
Good workplace, great for college and high school students.
Server (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 7, 2014
Easy work, decent money, great employees, good managment, decent hours.
Pros
good balance between work and free time
Cons
no benefits, tip oriented work
Day at OTB
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 3, 2012
Working at OTB was like being part of a family. Majority of the employees were there for each other thru hard times as well as good. Most of the management team was respectable and did a great job in managing the restaurant as well as the employees. I would start my shift by saying hello to everyone, and looking over my section to make sure it was presentable to the customers. When my first table would come in, I would introduce myself, ask what type of beverage they would like (also suggesting certain beverage to up my sales), suggesting appetizer, giving information on the different types of entrees, and then taking an order if the customer was ready. Preparing the customers drink and delivering the beverage/food. I waited on customers like this until my shift was toward the end. I would then check out the other server on there closing duties, while also preparing the restaurant for the next day. I have opened and closed OTB throughout my employement. The hardest part of my job would have to be on the busiest days when I would have to work 13 hours straight, lifting trays, bending, cleaning, and standing with no break. However even though there where hard and long days, each day was enjoyable for the most part because I not only was able to build a certain clientel that would come in and ask for me, but financially I saw the reward when i would count my tips.
Pros
tips, meeting new customers, building a clientel
Cons
no breaks on busy days, no benefits, work tends to become redundant
Decent place to work for
Shift Manager, Catering Director, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 17, 2015
On the Border is a decent company to work for. For management they work long hours, and are expected to put in very many hours a week with a very weak and unattainable bonus program. For the service staff, the company expects a lot out of the servers. The servers are required to bus their tables, do a lot of sidework, and still maintin their tables. The company also does not allow the servers to add gratuity to tables.
Pros
Fun, fast paced place to work
Cons
lots of side work, tiring shifts, no gratuity
Very unorganized work place
WAITRESS (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARJune 29, 2015
When I came to the On the Border in Arkansas from the one in Memphis they had been open for almost a year. The company was fairly new but so unorganized. So many people no call no showed and never got fired which caused me to have to stay for shifts i wasnt assigned to. It was a complete mess and some days i was forced to work from open to close with no break. The best part of the job was getting fired for calling in one day after spending all day prior trying to get my shift covered in order to go to a job interview.
Pros
N/A
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On The Border. Our community is ready to answer.