On The Border Employee Reviews

A lively place that is busy with great intertainment.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMay 4, 2017
I learn something new at my job everyday, Wether it's a switch up on the menu or a new special for the day. That's why it's important I am on time because our job switches up things all of the time. I get along with all of my managers. They are all nice and easy to work with. We have a lot of mixed races in our job. I like that because I have met a lot of different people working here. I believe that the hardest part of my job is sometimes learning new things rapidly. sometimes learning new items and deals can be stressful especially when it's busy. All in all I enjoy my job all around. The only reason for even wanting another job is because I need extra income. Somewhere more stable.
Pros
Flexble breaks, nice tips, great inviroment, and nice co workers.
Cons
No insurance, slow days, it's far from my house and at times long hours.
Good pay, good management, good atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXMay 2, 2017
The pay was average for a strong company, the atmosphere was incredible, and the management actually cared. I would come in, get ready for my shift, make sure I had the right amount of change, and get to work. After we got cut, we would clean our section, roll silverware, claim our tips, and leave.
doesnt even exist. Closed. not sure if its still a thing
Server (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMay 2, 2017
place closed like 4 months after i left. gave me my start at serving but other than that it was ok. Your ordinary mexican resturaunt job. It was better than retail.
Typical Restaurant
Server (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXApril 21, 2017
Not a great place to work but it is not a bad place either. Like most places with servers, the money is pretty much all made on tips so the better tips you earn the better off you'll be.
Good restaurant
To-Go, Hostess, Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 20, 2017
Fast paced restaurant with great tips. Can move up easily with the company. Many different positions to apply for and can be cross trained. Easy menu to learn.
Not a bad place to serve.
Server (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOApril 6, 2017
I've worked in the service industry for 12 years and about 8 of that was at On The Border. It's not a bad place to serve, like any serving job a lot depends on the management, but out of 8 years I've only worked for one bad GM at On the Border. The GM I'm currently working for is the most competent general manager I've ever worked for.
Pros
Fast paced, pay is good
Cons
Wages can fluctuate a bit
productive
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXMarch 28, 2017
Competitive pay, great management. Fast paced work environment and a company that is willing to train and advance emplyees for their employee benefit and the benefit of the company as a whole
Fast paced work environment
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Burleson, TXMarch 25, 2017
A normal day at work usually consists of waiting tables in a specific section with a partner. We work on tips so money isn't always steady. Management is always helpful and everyone gets along for the most part.
Pros
fun coworkers
Cons
pay, poor benefits
Harsh working conditions, work environment not desirable
Line and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 23, 2017
Harsh working conditions, long hours, little pay, poor management style, fast and demanding pace, little room for advancement, benefits are not adequate.
Server/Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 21, 2017
It was a fun experience working at this restaurant. It was one of my first real jobs. I learned how valuable customer service really is in that kind of environment.
Super upbeat place that values service
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TXMarch 15, 2017
Management is amazing here, they are always trying to do right by their staff, and they keep a positive energy at all times. I have learned how to be a margarita master as well as a great bartender. I truly love my job.
Pros
50 percent off
Great Mexican Restaurant
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fossil Creek, TXMarch 8, 2017
ACG has created a great work environment for this Texas tradition. The newly promoted executive team is dedicated to long term growth and has brought a new passion to this concept.
Hostess at On The Border
Hostess/ ToGo server (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIMarch 7, 2017
This was my first job and to say I loved it is an understatement. Everyone at On The Border is very welcoming and were very accepting to the fact that this was my first job. They give you a lot of opportunities to grow with the company.
Very busy Mexican restaraunt
Manager/Bartender/Server/LDP (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 1, 2017
Managing is very demanding, but hands on from front of house to back of house. Shifts are always very busy, table touches to prep in the back. Especially when we had the Kings down the street we all were running.
Pros
Great support from my General Mngr.
Cons
Upset guest
Staffing
Lead Bartender (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Staff was always great to work with
Guest were always happy when they left
Workplace culture were in the ups all the time
Most enjoyable time were the guest
Pros
Work Staff
Hard Work, Great Co-Workers, but not much money
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJanuary 27, 2017
Worked great for me as a summer and college job, very flexible with scheduling and hours, good way to make some money even part-time. Beats working minimum wage in retail or something.

That said, it's by no means a career and working in the restaurant business can wear you down. It's hard work - more physically and emotionally demanding than you might have thought, and there's a high degree of substance abuse so avoid this type of work if you think you're at risk for developing or relapsing into an alcohol/drug dependency.
Pros
Flexible hours, Cash each night, Discounted Food
Cons
Demanding work, Compensation is tied to tips, Overall compensation not worth the work in the long-term
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJanuary 25, 2017
On the Border was a great job. I have worked there for years and I just feel like i need something that works a little better with my schedule.
Pros
Discounted food while working
Cons
Short breaks
Very good place to work. Managment is great
Server (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoy working for this company. Great managers and great food. Coworkers are also great to work with. I never have any problems here with anyone. Will recommend.
Pros
Great discounts, benifits
Cons
no gratuity on parties
Great work fast pace enviorment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 17, 2017
Loved working here, great management, amazing co-workers, positive environment. Learned so much from working here the food is amazing.
Pros
great work place
Cons
short breaks
The best serving job i have experienced.
Server/Cocktail Waitress (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJanuary 17, 2017
Typical day would be coming in opening the store.
Then making sure every guest to be satisfied to my ability. Be sure to get drinks, apps, and entrees out in a timely manner and double check to see if they need anything else. I have learned the most waiting tables on how to read people. Just knowing what to say and what not to say. I did enjoy making my regulars just to know that i am doing an amazing job if they keep coming back for more. Hardest part would be the end of the night having to spend at least an hour cleaning the restaurant after close. Most enjoyable part was being part of a family that would always have my back no matter what we always worked as a team and that helped the store run and customers happy.
Pros
Working with people i enjoyed being around
Cons
healthcare, the dish pit, and having to come to work not feeling well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On The Border. Our community is ready to answer.