OneBeacon Insurance Group

OneBeacon Insurance Group Employee Reviews in United States

A great place to work
Personal Lines Assistant/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 14, 2016
A great company to work for. The people were friendly and helpful. We were like one big family. I was so devastated when the company closed. I was there for almost 19 years.
Stay away they are liars
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton maMarch 30, 2016
I was due to have a phone interview with this company and they had the audacity to cancel at the last minute. I contacted them because they wanted to reschedule and they never got back to me. When they finally did they gave the lame excuse that the posirion had been filled. I asked for a supervisors name they refused to give it. Obviously a poor company to work for if they can't follow through with the recruitment process
Pros
Cons
Everything is bad about this company
Great People and Working Environment
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 28, 2016
I worked for OneBeacon 6+ years and was generously rewarded for my hard work. I worked with a great group of people. You're considered an adult and as long as you try hard and do the work expected of you, you are not micro-managed. The company has very flexible working hours, as long as you don't abuse the privilege.
Pros
Generous pay, no micro-managing, flexible hours
Cons
Sometimes the work load was a little overwhelming but I considered it job security
Good place to be
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Canton, MAJune 22, 2015
This is an awesome place to be.
great life and work balance.
Great people to be around.
the pay rates are fair enough.

I would recommend this employer.
Could use overall treatment
Log ISO forms
Maintain spreadsheets
Create spreadsheets
Expense Reports
Friendly, good pay, high volume workload, limited oportunity for advancement
Senior Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 24, 2014
Friendly, good pay, high volume workload; however, limited opportunity for advancement without many years experience.
Start-up with potential growth
Sr. Account Collection Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 29, 2014
Supervise a staff of two pay office bills and follow up on past due accounts!!!
Pros
good work place
Cons
closed
Great company to work for
Sr. Administrative Assistant - Finance (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 8, 2014
Growing company, great upper management! Walking paths, ponds, wildlife....hard to imagine you are at work!
boring place to work at
Senior QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MAJuly 15, 2014
nothing exciting going on here... however made many personal and professional friends
Pros
people
Cons
management
Maybe concentration on specialty will work for them
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAJune 28, 2014
OneBeacon was a fairly nice place to work. The people were great but they decided to stick to only specialty products and got rid of all the traditional lines of business.

I don't know if this helped their bottom line, but the company is a mere shell of its former self,
Pros
good working environment
Cons
once it went public, all decisions were based on immediate profit.
Excellent Company
Claim Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton, MANovember 21, 2013
The environment is great! Management treats you with respect and are a;ways willing and available to help.
-Onebeacon Insurance Automation Tester Salem-Virginia
Automation Tester (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAOctober 2, 2013
-ONEBEACON INSURANCE company provides the insurance to more commercial and special kind of insurance in America. They also have experty in real estate ,terrorism types of Insurance. They provide the details in their insurance coverage . Onebeacon gives easy to access to professional and business class whenever they want connect the internet to check their coverage and premium. Their application are more based on the ,@SUIT,.UMS, @ EAS and POLARIS.
Great!
Claims (Current Employee) –  Canton, MAAugust 2, 2013
Great place to work and learn.
Supportive management and collegues.
Management can't get out of their own way
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMay 10, 2013
Horrible management that has the, "Do what I say, not what I do attitude." They also spent millions on a computer systems that is absolutely horrible.
Pros
people i worked with were wonderful. all of them put 100 percent in.
Cons
management has a superior complex
handled auto claims, made contact with our insured and property owners , set up to have damaged vehicles and property seen, issued payments as needed
Claims Rep (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYFebruary 4, 2013
I would get information on automobile accidents involving our policy holders. Make contact take statements, make arrangements for damaged vehicle or property to be seen. Then issue payments according to estimates.
Pros
lots of contact with policy holders
One of the Best Specialty Insurance Companies to work for!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  SoutheastDecember 14, 2012
Coming to OneBeacon from my last employer was like a breath of fresh air!

Employees are valued and opportunities abound in Specialty units. (commercial middle market & personal lines were sold off to become a true Specialty Insurance Company - so those ex-employees will most likely have a different opinion).

Flat corporate structure in my business unit with little to no micromanagement. Everyone is valued for what they bring to the organization - and all employees are expected to "think like an owner".

Great work/life balance and good pay and benefits. It's fun to come to work again after suffering under the draconian environment at another insurance company.
Pros
great team members, employees valued by management, feels like a small business environment
Cons
some fallout from the changing business model to a specialty insurance compamy
Had so much potential
Consultant (Former Employee) –  CantonDecember 4, 2012
I was a consultant there, 2003-2008. - Poorly managed. Product line shrunk as chunks of the business were sold off in order to stay alive. (Line is personal lines such as homeowners, etc.) Typical insurance company where too many people stayed too long and were too comfortable. Many of the good people left, because they could (common story). Don't get me wrong, there were people who remained who worked hard but all too often no new ideas were presented by them or by management. In today's world if you stagnate you die - and so this is the story of One Beacon.
Insurance has for years been insulated. Downward pressure by out of control product prices mixed with some deregulation is now rocking this once insulated industry. Newcomers as well as established companies exploiting new technologies, processes and methodologies are setting a pace which companies such as One Beacon are incapable of matching. One Beacon's failure is wholey due to poor management - period!
I tried to changed things while I was there but it was like trying to teach a caveman about aerospace; management is conceptually incapable of understanding today's ways.
Pros
i really liked many of the people with whom i worked
Cons
stuck in the past and cannot get up
Good Staff but poorly managed
Applications Manager (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaSeptember 5, 2012
Lots of good ideas, but no one willing to implement or follow through. President etc. more concerned with the bottom line than people.
Cons
upper managment too disconnected
Excellent management and team environment that kept employees busy.
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MAJune 21, 2012
The work was more challenging and the programming involved taughter me a great deal of matters having to do with the entire life cycle of an IT program from inception up until its migration into prouction. Learned how to manage small teams and oversaw development of over 90% of the project.
Pros
a wonderful cafetaria, great benefits, a lot of room for advancement.
Cons
contractors were constantly streaming in an out, management hopped around with employees and different groups.