OneMain Employee Reviews

OneMain is a very competitive, numbers based company.
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Anywhere, USAJanuary 3, 2017
I've worked for OneMain financial for over 20 years. I once considered this company to be a place I would retire with. Since the Company was sold to Springleaf (now owned by Investors), this company does not value it's employees. We are all just a number. Upper management manages by fear. Employees are afraid to report incidents of disrespectful treatment due to lack of support from Human Resources. This is not a healthy work environment to work in. They claim to promote a good work/life balance. Prepare to work late nights and Saturdays if goals are not met.
Pros
401k, paid holidays & vacation
Cons
stressful work environment, long hours, employess are not show respect by upper management
Productive workplace fast pace learning
Branch Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 3, 2017
Great company to work for with great benefits.

I learned a lot about consumer finance most of your day is spent on the computer booking loans and phone calls are made to solicit and collect.

Workplace culture is great I worked with 3 people most offices have a setting of 3-4 people.

The hardest part of the job is not being able to help a customer who truly needs money because he or she do not qualify or currently do not work due to lay off or loss of job.

The most enjoyable part is being able to help a customer get the money he or she needs to help consolidate bills etc.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
may work weekend day if your team did not meet monthly goal
Move up fast and let go easily
Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMay 20, 2016
If it is easy to meet your goals and you work hard enough to let the job interfere in your home life be prepared to be let go. No matter how hard you work at this job you will get treated like nothing. I was lied to and told i wouldn't get my vip bonus from the previous quarter but mentioning my attorney disagreeing with that magically i am entitled. Being number one in your district month after month isnt enough to guarantee your job. Plus with the merge with one main going on i wouldn't count on long term. They will curse and grill their employees. When you want your personal belongings left behind you will be told nothing of yours is there. Seemed like a good job...now i am glad to know when you are good at your job you become a threat. Good luck if you decide you want to be employed here. Make a back up plan.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Management, free over time hours, no job security
Run Forest run from this company
Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCFebruary 6, 2017
Terrible employer that puts more emphasis on life insurance (they call it Merit) and all other insurances instead of providing an advantageous loan program for the customer. They determine your worth by goals only and do not want an employee to take much time with the customer or provide the customer with a positive experience. They say they do, but they really don't. They have the most unprofessional employees and is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked. Many employees seem very uneducated, use terrible grammar, etc. Their branch managers are very inept. Rude, unprofessional DM's that go from branch to branch talking about employees to other employees and a company auditor that does the exact same thing. Honestly, I could go on and on.
Pros
good commission checks
Cons
long hours, huge pressure to push insurance sales on loan and outside insurance, collections suck, really unprofessional employees.
Avoid unless you want to commit Career Suicide
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2016
Worked for company for 4yrs, fka American General Finance, Becoming Onemain Financial. Highly volatile company that flips its organizational structure once a company buyout event occurs, to which creates massive layoffs/demotions in leadership. This directly affects your working relationship to whomever you reported directly under. Main functions include selling high risk loans to uncreditworthy customer base that generate high charge offs and public collections. Borderline loan sharking scheme that attempts to push current customer base into accepting larger loans/longer payment terms thereby inducing a debt crisis bubble to which the customer cannot pay back. Heavy sales based job that pressures customers to accept large APR loans with expensive add ons for straight to profit margins. Heavy on collections/working weekends due to credit delinquency. Advancement is extremely limited.
Pros
one hour lunch, paid holidays off.
Cons
healthcare, management, office closures/layoffs
Career Suicide
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2016
Just do yourself a favor and walk away from this job listing. Company used to be favorable for someone starting out in the corporate world, i.e. advancement in multiple areas. Company has been bought and sold 3 times within the last 5 years and each time there have been layoffs and demotions throughout. This company is not a real place to make a career out of because the owners are only out to flip this company for a profit every so often when it is sellable, leaving all the employees with the bad end of the stick. To top it off, the work environment is cut throat in such that everyone is trying to complete their sales quotas even if it calls for stealing leads from one another.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
No Advancement, Bad Insurance Coverage, Layoffs
A good starting job
Senior Loan Specialists (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2016
Overall I enjoyed working at OneMain Financial. I started working here after college and I learned a lot about the credit underwriting business. The work balance could be better. The company is focusing a lot on delinquency right now and that is why I moved on to another company.
Pros
salary, bonus, coworkers
Cons
work balance, management
Great Sales Learning Experience, Great work enviroment
Customer Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Norriton, PAFebruary 22, 2017
log data for all loans, underwriting and deciding loan approvals, closing loans and then collections. Outside B2B selling to merchants to use our company for their financing. I learned a lot about selling and how to adapt to any work environment. Top management from headquarters was not great, they did not exactly know how to maintain districts and were lying to customers to gain loan numbers.The hardest part of the job was selling state rate loans at 26 %APR, it was a personal part of the job I didn't enjoy. The most enjoyable was a great work environment and the knowledge i gained in sales and customer relationships.
Pros
Not a high stress work enviroment
Cons
Management is dishonest
The job was very rewarding to be able help build the department.
Escrow Processor III (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 3, 2017
With this being a new department that I was presented with the opportunity to build it from the ground up. I was fast paced with daily meetings with all departments to create Job Aids, Production Flow Charts, Daily Production Task, and Third party Vendor procedures, as well as Procedure Manuals. I was responsible for the Homeowners, Flood, and Claims processes. I worked with Upper Management to draft Online Letters that would be used in our daily production. It was fun and it required attention to detail in order to ensure all risks were reduced or eliminated. I drafted new loan audit procedures. Some days were long, but the work was very rewarding. I enjoyed being apart of this new adventure.
Pros
Being able to engage with the other departments. and when we completed a process, we had a department luncheon to celebrate.
Cons
Employees that were not supportive of the team goals.
Competitive and fast paced sales culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 18, 2016
The day can vary wildly based on the current needs but typically includes underwriting, personal lending, collections and business development. Goals are tracked monthly but updated and paid quarterly. for those that are driven to succeed the compensation plus bonuses can be lucrative.
Pros
An interesting and fast paced environment that brings new challenges and situations daily.
Cons
For salaried employees only lip service is given to any kind of work life balance.
They treat their employee's poorly.
Branch Manager/Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  ILMarch 16, 2016
30 emails a day and most of them are negative. Corporate culture is to get the customer to take as much money as you can even if the customer doesn't want it. You must do as many loans a day as you can, when you do well you rarely are complimented or respected, if you have a bad day in production you are made to feel poorly. Raises are rarely given for good production because they say they have an incentive program and that is your raise, but that is not guaranteed and you still work your tail off for them to achieve it. Still hear from current employees that very few of them in the branch offices are happy. Most are very stressed and depressed. However, they stay because jobs are hard to come by these days.
Pros
Daytime Hours
Cons
Corporate culture is greedy, Upper management doesn't care about hard working staff, Never good enough, you are never doing enough.
Great Management Team/Great Work Environment
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 1, 2017
Monday thru Friday job. Management is very caring and understanding employee needs. Working in a call center is something that takes patience because the people you will be talking to are not so understanding. Will be sitting all day. There is an on site cafeteria and gym. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the branch's when they call in. The easiest task can take more than an hour to explain.
Pros
Great work enviorment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canton, GADecember 6, 2016
The people, benefits, and culture is amazing at OneMain Financial. It is demanding work, but you are compensated for it.
What to say
BAE (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYSeptember 26, 2016
I worked for this company for five months finally had to quit. I was being bullied by the office staff.coworker was afraid I was going to take loans away from her . The more loans you make the bigger your bonus it got so bad that when I had a loan she contacted the customer via text messages on her cell phone to see if they asked for her . Manager was aware of the situation and he did nothing to top it off he harassed me all the time . District manager was aware after situation he came and talk to me and her and management and nothing was done . I was bullied out of the office by management it was either quit my job or lose my sanity . I was a threat because every customer started to like me .
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Hard to get in touch with hr
Great workplace
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  London, KYSeptember 2, 2016
Great place to work as a start and learn about financial services and the programs that come along with them in case you ever wanted to further a financial career with a better company i.e. a big name bank
Pros
Fre gym great team leaders understanding management
Cons
Customer is upset before you talk to them
Great Place To Work
COLLECTIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  London, KYJuly 30, 2016
Excellent place to work great work/life balance and overall culture. Easy environment to grow in. Management team is phenomenal.
This company was much better to work for when owned by Citigroup.
Branch Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAJanuary 7, 2017
Personal loan and processing and collecting.
Real Estate refinancing.
Matching customers needs to optional insurance products.

I learned how to form an alliance with similar finance companies to skip trace and locate customers for collection purposes.

Learned how to pull credit reports and analyze the information.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Did not know what time you could leave to go home.
Not a great place to work
Personal Loan Consultant (Former Employee) –  KYMarch 11, 2016
Management does whatever they can to get loans, even if it means changing the salary (lying). There is a very unprofessional attitude of upper management and very cut-throat when it comes to making your loan goal. They say it is 8-5 but most days the manager leaves at 5 and expects you to stay as long as you can to close a loan because he has things to do. If you are willing to fight over loans and lie about things, then this is the job for you. If you have integrity and don't want to give money to people who don't need it, then don't apply here. If you don't care that they charge 36% APR to customers, then by all means this is the place for you!!
Pros
Bonuses/Pay
Cons
management
no work life balance
Account Specialist/Collector (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCAugust 23, 2016
hard work no pay'
management does not work with you
coworkers were willing the help
not enough time to work with your customers
Pros
insurance
Cons
managers
Pleasant work enviornment
Software Configuration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 2, 2016
Comfortable work environment,
Advancement is non existent
Management is so so.
Learning new areas is highly accepted.
Hour lunch breaks, No need to inform supervisor.
Lots of overtime work, with minimal compensation. (Day off)
Can work from home one day a week.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks, work from home
Cons
Lots of overtime work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OneMain. Our community is ready to answer.