Oneonta Job Corps Academy Employee Reviews

an establishment for Trade knowledge to help in the real world
Vocational/internship (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 9, 2017
Took two different trade classes at two different academy buildings,
Facilities maintenance in Centennial job corps,
and UDR or Underground Residential Distribution in Oneonta Job corps.
Pros
Free meals, room and board
Cons
Rules, Regulations, other students.
The Life in Times of a Hard Working Citizen
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 3, 2017
A casual day at work for me would be one spent with me giving positive encouragement to everyone including myself. I would be able to get my work done and keep a smile on my face even in tough situations. What I would learn is how to better communicate with my counter parts as well as how to do my job better. Managing people places or things is always tedious but I have learned that if I try and understand the people place or thing I am managing then I will be able to get the results I am looking for in order to be successful in my management task or tasks. I come from a very diverse family and associate myself with many different people who come from many different cultures. It would be very enlightening as well as fun to relate to and communicate with people of many different backgrounds. The hardest part of a job is mistakes. When a mistake is made or say for example when I make a mistake it becomes hard but not impossible to fix. The most enjoyable thing about a job knows that I am active in helping people thus helping myself in the proses.
Good trade and good life skills
Electrician Student (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 3, 2017
A typical day includes going to trade and working with an excellent staff and coworkers.

I have learned unforgettable life skills that will help me advance in my career field.
Cons
Restiction to center
It's a school
Shop Foreman - Electrical Shop (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYFebruary 26, 2017
What else do you need to know about an academy? You stay there on dorm, you go to classes, you learn, you get fed, you learn some more and then you hang out and avoid trouble for the rest of the day.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Drama
Productive place to work
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYDecember 7, 2016
Great days at work , different backgrounds of co-workers and just learning and getting the job done. working hard every single day and getting to know people and costumers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Teachings of great life skills and employment skills.
Overhead Lineman Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYOctober 26, 2016
Proper power pole climbing techniques on 45 foot poles in climbing gear and P.P.E daily.
Chief Smith taught the class old school methods to construct and deconstruct power poles in climbing gear and briefly in an Altec 60 ft bucket truck.
The schooling was everyday and we stayed on campus dorms for the 15 week course dealing mainly with our line instructor.
The hardest part of the job was manually setting a transformer with a few men and a hand line pulley system.
I enjoyed just about every minute of my experience due to my fascination with the trade.
Oneonta Job Corps Academy
Data Integrity and Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJuly 18, 2016
Working at Oneonta Job Corps has its ups and down. I enjoy every student that walks through the door and enjoy learning from them and helping them become productive members of society. Management is weak and staff moral is pretty low.
Great
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJune 9, 2016
My experience here at Oneonta Job Corps was very peaceful. I loved it here to be honest. I learned a lot when it came to trade and when it came to academics I always Tabed up never down. I tabbed out in reading with a scored of 706, which was very surprising do to the fact that I dislike reading.
Pros
free meals
Interesting place of employment
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMay 17, 2016
The culture on center is very energetic. Working with students from marginalized backgrounds invites a unique work experiences and I am grateful for the opportunity.
The best place the ever happen to me
Automotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYApril 28, 2016
The Oneonta Job Corp Academy is a great place to learn at. The counselors and administrative advisors are their to make sure you do good and find a job.
Good place to learn a trade, Bad place to have dormatories
Pre-Apprenticeship Instrumentation (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYApril 7, 2016
Good instructors, good work environment, horrible living environment. Perfect stepping stone to get what you need in life.
Pros
free food, houseing, and schooling
Cons
Bad environment
Slow paced and attentive
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 27, 2016
I made sure the children crossed the street perfectly fine and enter the school bus unharmed. When school is over i make sure they are picked up by their guardians.
Great Opportunity
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 8, 2016
Great Opportunity.
Live in, training, and 3 meals a day. Perfect place for young students were college is not an option.
Great
Pre-Apprenticeship Instrumentation (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 8, 2016
This is where I took my advance training in smart meter instrumentation. I don't regret one day I've sent here and hope to keep going with what I've learned here.
Decent
Student (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYDecember 1, 2015
Decent environment easy to adapt to helped you get all the certifications that you will need different nationalities and personalities of people so you will learn to adjust
good
Hand Line (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYNovember 20, 2015
I got a lot of training and learned a lot from this program .I think it's very beneficial. Great experiences and learning techniques.
Productive and Hard Working
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYNovember 2, 2015
A typical day of work is like everyday at work hard work and motivation. It keeps you on your toes and making sure that you stay busy.
Hard working enviorment
Trainnee (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYOctober 1, 2015
Once you are excepted, the first two days consist of orientation. For the next 14 weeks you will be taught how to become a respectable Overhead Lineman.
Productive and Hard working.
Medical Administrative Assistance Intern (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I am hard working, so being able to get working experience at Oneonta Job corps was an amazing opportunity for me. My work was more as volunteer work but it was still an amazing pleasure.
Ojca
Data Integrity Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Working at the OJCA has been a pleasant experience, the population of young adults can be very challenging but the end result helping them better their lives is very rewarding.