Oneonta Job Corps Academy Employee Reviews

Oneonta Job Corps Academy
Data Integrity and Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJuly 18, 2016
Working at Oneonta Job Corps has its ups and down. I enjoy every student that walks through the door and enjoy learning from them and helping them become productive members of society. Management is weak and staff moral is pretty low.
Interesting place of employment
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMay 17, 2016
The culture on center is very energetic. Working with students from marginalized backgrounds invites a unique work experiences and I am grateful for the opportunity.
Great
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJune 9, 2016
My experience here at Oneonta Job Corps was very peaceful. I loved it here to be honest. I learned a lot when it came to trade and when it came to academics I always Tabed up never down. I tabbed out in reading with a scored of 706, which was very surprising do to the fact that I dislike reading.
Pros
free meals
Good place to learn a trade, Bad place to have dormatories
Pre-Apprenticeship Instrumentation (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYApril 7, 2016
Good instructors, good work environment, horrible living environment. Perfect stepping stone to get what you need in life.
Pros
free food, houseing, and schooling
Cons
Bad environment
The best place the ever happen to me
Automotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYApril 28, 2016
The Oneonta Job Corp Academy is a great place to learn at. The counselors and administrative advisors are their to make sure you do good and find a job.
Slow paced and attentive
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 27, 2016
I made sure the children crossed the street perfectly fine and enter the school bus unharmed. When school is over i make sure they are picked up by their guardians.
Great
Pre-Apprenticeship Instrumentation (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 8, 2016
This is where I took my advance training in smart meter instrumentation. I don't regret one day I've sent here and hope to keep going with what I've learned here.
Great Opportunity
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMarch 8, 2016
Great Opportunity.
Live in, training, and 3 meals a day. Perfect place for young students were college is not an option.
Productive and Hard Working
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYNovember 2, 2015
A typical day of work is like everyday at work hard work and motivation. It keeps you on your toes and making sure that you stay busy.
good
Academic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYFebruary 5, 2013
Typical day would include housekeeping with the students, uniform check, attendance, two quick timed tests then teach the lessons for the day. After each lesson working with individuals to understand concept. Then counsel students on various aspects of daily life and career choices. Complete various reports and attend required meeting. Tutor students in academic areas of need.
I have learned to be extremely patient, as well as firm but compassionate in dealing with students and staff. The hardest part of the job is when a student decides to leave the program without a completion. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a student's face when they get a diploma and a completion of trade.
Pros
students
Cons
restrictions on how we can help students
Gateway into future careers.
Student worker. (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJuly 28, 2014
OJCA was a great program training wise. Residentially and Management wise it was in need of serious improvement. Over all it is worth the suffering as is with all great things. A typical day consisted of heading to the cafeteria eating breakfast heading to the pole yard and training and learning overhead power line fundamentals. As previously stated I learned the fundamentals of Overhead Line. Management residentially was sloppy and in need of serious improvement. Management vocationally was great and helped as much as possible. My Co-workers ranged from all ethnicities and all locations of the U.S.A. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspect but increasingly got easier as training went on. The most enjoyable part of the job was the vast amounts of knowledge that I learned and the capabilities for tomorrow.
Pros
Free food, free living, free training, free healthcare.
Cons
Staff's lack of motivation, Staff's managment, Student's cantankerous ignorance.
Working On the Job Ethics
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYSeptember 11, 2012
A typical start of the day is what the important duties that need to be done are. I've learned how to handle time management and responsibilities. The skills of management I have is being my own leader, working positive, determination, and achieving. The hardest part of the job is meeting your daily quota sales goals. The enjoyable part of the job is coming to work and making the costumer appreciative.
good
Hand Line (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYNovember 20, 2015
I got a lot of training and learned a lot from this program .I think it's very beneficial. Great experiences and learning techniques.
Decent
Student (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYDecember 1, 2015
Decent environment easy to adapt to helped you get all the certifications that you will need different nationalities and personalities of people so you will learn to adjust
The Corps
Military Cadet Program (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYNovember 13, 2014
Working at Oneonta Job Corps was a wonderful work experience. While I was there I received my high school diploma and also my trade certification as a Cement Mason. I learned structure and great time management skills. In my opinon the best part of working there was working with others. I am a team player. I enjoy working as a team.
Pros
Free Meals, two 15 minute breaks, great nurses who cared about us "the people" when we were ill
Old dirty building with great programs and opportunities.
Instrumentation Pre-Apprenticeship (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJuly 15, 2015
OJCA is not one of the top Job Corps. The building is old and dirty and the food is oily. It has great programs and a very helpful and qualified staff, but bad infrastructure. If you are determined to learn this is a great place for you as long as you can stay focused and you don't mind being uncomfortable.
Pros
Free food and room and board, plus 60 dollars a month, and a great education.
Cons
Dirty, short breaks, strict, little freedom, bad food.
Productive and Hard working.
Medical Administrative Assistance Intern (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I am hard working, so being able to get working experience at Oneonta Job corps was an amazing opportunity for me. My work was more as volunteer work but it was still an amazing pleasure.
Hard working enviorment
Trainnee (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYOctober 1, 2015
Once you are excepted, the first two days consist of orientation. For the next 14 weeks you will be taught how to become a respectable Overhead Lineman.
Ojca
Cement Mason Pre - apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJanuary 16, 2015
I have work experience similar to the qualifications that you are looking for. I also know what it means to be dependable. I can contribute my experience with the following: Cement Mason, Carpentry, Minor Electric and Plumbing, Tile Setting. I have also completed OSHA 10, Flagger, Scaffolding & Rigging, and Ramset Certifications.

I am committed to setting goals and completing assignments in a timely manner. I am self-motivated, hard working and dependable. During the course of my training, I learned to work as part of a team as well as working independently.

I learned everything from Oneonta Jobs Corps Academy and I'm grateful for the education and trade I've learned attended their facility.
Ojca
Data Integrity Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Working at the OJCA has been a pleasant experience, the population of young adults can be very challenging but the end result helping them better their lives is very rewarding.

4.3