Onslow Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Friendly community hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 14, 2016
I have enjoyed the challenge of working at OMH for twenty one years, specifically the leadership roles I have been afforded. Overall, the work environment is pleasant and leadership fair. Benefits are competative with surrounding hospitals.
Pros
PTO
My Summary of a Unit Secertary
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 12, 2016
My typical day at my job is making sure the patients have order their meals, taking orders from all the doctors and nurses. Letting the nurses know that a patient or family member is needing something, answering all phones which can be three at one time, fixing charts, breaking down charts and fixing package envelopes for patient going to other facilities outside the hospital.
I have learned that if a patient is having a mental problem not to get upset so much or if one decease.
Watching my co-workers work with the patient amazes me. The patent they have and understanding the needs, the comfort some do for the family members. I have seen them collect money for some patients who need medicine. The staff is a hard working group.
The hardest part of my job is when to let go of my work in order for me to go home. I want to succeed in my daily job for the day.
Relay for Life is the enjoyable part of my job. The reaction people give me each year.
Pros
meeting different people, benefits, schedules
Cons
not enough full time workers, pay, raises, keeping staff
ok place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician, Generalist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 29, 2016
Learned how to read micro plates. Co-workers were great. Management not so good. Worked 0600-1430, loved coming in early and getting off early. My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of my job. The lab managers have lost touch with the employees.
Pros
medical coverage till 65, 403b plan, good insurance coverage
Cons
short to no breaks, sometimes no lunches
Worst facility I've ever worked for
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 4, 2016
Facility does not care about their employees. Recently did away with pension plan. I have witnessed employees being wrongfully terminated, despite facility being short staffed. Unsafe work conditions and staffing ratios.
great work experience
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 4, 2016
Wanderfull people respectul and understanding willing to help you when needed. Great environment the clean and always happy to go in when asked to come in to cover for another shift.
Productive and fun
Generalist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 18, 2016
Everyone was so amazingly helpful. This hospital was a small hospital so the workload was really based on the ER. The instrumentation used I've already worked on. The hardest part of my job was the blood gases.
Loved In patient
Certified Pharmacy Technician/IV Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 17, 2016
Onslow was great to work for. I got to learn how to mix iv, which is something I always wanted to do. Great coworkers and work environment. However, the pay is very low for what you are responsible for.
Pros
learned a new skill
Cons
low pay
Better than being unemployed I guess
RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 4, 2013
I was a RN at OMH for about 6 months and I have to honestly say I loved my fellow nurses and other staff and we all worked together as a team. Management is the problem w/ that hospital!! OMH gets a bad reputation in this area as being incompatent but really that hosp has great staff they are just way to understaffed!! We would work w/ only 2 RN's per floor for 14 patients. That is just not quality or safe care. Mgmt continually promised to get us more help/PRN staff but that never happens. The nurses are worked to death for poor pay. Starting salary is only $20/hr!! ( I am now in a doctor's office making much more!!) I only received 6 weeks of training as a new nurse and the surrounding hospitals all offer 12 weeks so again another reason turn- over is so high!
Pros
great RN's, good benefits, flexible schedules
Cons
no breaks/lunches unless you are lucky, poor pay, way too understaffed
Hated working here
Nurse (Former Employee) –  JacksonvilleOctober 19, 2012
Worked with this hospital for a few years and kept hearing 'it'll get better' or 'bear with us, we are transitioning'.
As a nurse, we worked consistently short staffed. Often times we didn't have CNAs, or secretaries and we had to flex up to accommodate more patients who were sicker and more demanding.
The pay was lousy, although you will hear that they are 'competitive' with other hospitals. Raises are few and far between. No holiday bonus, just a turkey.
Employees have been told during mandatory meetings that they are replaceable.
The staff is great considering the conditions they are required to work under and that is the only positive for this hospital. Sadly, the staff get the short end of the stick because of poor hospital administration. Staff gets overworked, over stressed and repeatedly put in dangerous situations because of the policy and politics of the administration.
Pros
staff truly is the gold mine of the facility.
Cons
hospital is filthy. administration needs to be restructured from top down. pay is a joke.
Busy ED, well staffed
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at OMH is fast paced, a wide variety of patients and complaints are seen, and a broad spectrum of skills are usually utilized. I've received education from the clinical coordinators here that have made me feel more competent and well rounded regarding IV drips and management of the critical patient. Co-workers here are some of the best, most passionate and caring, highly skilled individuals I've ever had the pleasure of working with. It can be very difficult at times to manage the fast pace flow due to the high acuity of the majority of patients you see. I enjoy the interaction between other staff members and myself, along with feeling like I learn something new everyday that makes me a better nurse.
Helping others.
CNA 2 (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NC 28546May 6, 2016
Short work day. I learned how to do EKG'S. Management was good..Good co-worker . Not a thing. Helping other's get better. Seeing all the new babies.
A smile after the storm:
C.N.A. / Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 5, 2013
Working in a small community hospitals, daily activites generally include vitals, daily living such as bathing and toileting I/O's and . critical care for telementry and imcu patients. The best part of my day is when there is pt. who is unable to do for themselves and a simple bath or nail polish brightens there day. I work 11p-7a and my coworkers and I have an understanding of teamwork and time profenicy along with pt awareness. I love my coworkers. The hardest part is when a pt expires. It hold heavy on our sholders but it is part of what we do.
Pros
execellent benifits
Cons
in a raise freeze
Could not stand it
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 20, 2012
The pay here is a joke. Management does not care about you, only about themselves, and the higher end. They keep taking raises away from people who already don't make anything. "TEAM WORK" is a joke! It's a childish and non caring place to work. They don't care about their patients. It's dirty. The ONLY thing worth it there is the benefits package. The insurance is great. And depending what department you work, the coworkers can be great. Overall, it's a waste of time and a bad career move.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
everything
Teamwork
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working within this pharmacy department. The pharmacy staff worked together on tasks regardless of their title. I like how everyone had the same thing expected of them as soon as they walk through the door, patient care. I learned how to do IV admixture here and very much enjoyed it. I was a narcotics and IV technician among other tasks.
Pros
IV admixture certification, co-workers, narcotic technician
Cons
pay and raises
I enjoy working with patients and my fellow employees. I love helping people and have always enjoyed working in the medical field
CLAIMS ANALYSIS (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 30, 2013
I have great co-workers and feel that we have become a strong group of team players. We have worked very hard over the last 6 months to accomplish a goal that was set by hospital administation. We help each other in our day to day job and I feel that not only have we done a great job but that we have done a great job for our patients.
Pros
heathcare insurance, 401k, vacation opportunity
Cons
not a lot of opportunity for growth
Good place to work as far as benefits, but did not give raises and staff worked short almost everyday.
RN, Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 25, 2013
Two stars would be my rating. Good benefits, often worked short on the floor, so I would say staff does not support employeees. They have a freeze on raises, so they often have a huge turnover.
Busy
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 14, 2012
I love my job have been a CNA since 1995, Real Busy and steady, I like taking care of others who may or may not have ability to take care of themselves and giving that special attention
Pros
setting your own work schedule, health benefits
Cons
not many breaks at times
Nice place to work
Coding Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 29, 2014
The managment and co-workers were knowlegable, friendly and helpful. The patient and their families are the number one focus.
Pros
Good benefits package
Cons
Uncertain future of the organization
productive and fun place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  IMCUAugust 9, 2014
very employee friendly, they take care of their employees with benefits, flexible work schedule, continuing education
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
shift availability
Great people, great benfits
Guest Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, North CarolinaMarch 4, 2014
Worked under the Director of Guest Services. Enjoyed working in this position and was able to grow.
Benefits
Cons
Not able to move up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Onslow Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Onslow Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location