Onslow Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Loving and caring nursery
Certified Nursing Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 6, 2016
My day starts by having report, then start taking vital signs, change linen, and make sure baby is clean. After the doctor has seen the baby, I walk the babies out to their room. I write for the nurses when doing an admission. I bath the new babies to get ready to go out their parents. I also preform newborn state hearing screens on the babies. The best part of my job is the way everyone in the nursery works as a team. I enjoy working with the babies.
Pros
good benifits
ok place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician, Generalist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 29, 2016
Learned how to read micro plates. Co-workers were great. Management not so good. Worked 0600-1430, loved coming in early and getting off early. My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of my job. The lab managers have lost touch with the employees.
Pros
medical coverage till 65, 403b plan, good insurance coverage
Cons
short to no breaks, sometimes no lunches
Loved In patient
Certified Pharmacy Technician/IV Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 17, 2016
Onslow was great to work for. I got to learn how to mix iv, which is something I always wanted to do. Great coworkers and work environment. However, the pay is very low for what you are responsible for.
Pros
learned a new skill
Cons
low pay
Productive and fun
Generalist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 18, 2016
Everyone was so amazingly helpful. This hospital was a small hospital so the workload was really based on the ER. The instrumentation used I've already worked on. The hardest part of my job was the blood gases.
Friendly community hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 14, 2016
I have enjoyed the challenge of working at OMH for twenty one years, specifically the leadership roles I have been afforded. Overall, the work environment is pleasant and leadership fair. Benefits are competative with surrounding hospitals.
Pros
PTO
Busy ED, well staffed
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at OMH is fast paced, a wide variety of patients and complaints are seen, and a broad spectrum of skills are usually utilized. I've received education from the clinical coordinators here that have made me feel more competent and well rounded regarding IV drips and management of the critical patient. Co-workers here are some of the best, most passionate and caring, highly skilled individuals I've ever had the pleasure of working with. It can be very difficult at times to manage the fast pace flow due to the high acuity of the majority of patients you see. I enjoy the interaction between other staff members and myself, along with feeling like I learn something new everyday that makes me a better nurse.
Helping others.
CNA 2 (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NC 28546May 6, 2016
Short work day. I learned how to do EKG'S. Management was good..Good co-worker . Not a thing. Helping other's get better. Seeing all the new babies.
Er
Emergency Clinical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 28, 2015
Typical Emergency Department. You see different walks of life every day. It is a fast paced environment and it will always keep you on your toes. The employees for the Emergency Department are and exception to the rule when it comes to patient care.
My Summary of a Unit Secertary
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 12, 2016
My typical day at my job is making sure the patients have order their meals, taking orders from all the doctors and nurses. Letting the nurses know that a patient or family member is needing something, answering all phones which can be three at one time, fixing charts, breaking down charts and fixing package envelopes for patient going to other facilities outside the hospital.
I have learned that if a patient is having a mental problem not to get upset so much or if one decease.
Watching my co-workers work with the patient amazes me. The patent they have and understanding the needs, the comfort some do for the family members. I have seen them collect money for some patients who need medicine. The staff is a hard working group.
The hardest part of my job is when to let go of my work in order for me to go home. I want to succeed in my daily job for the day.
Relay for Life is the enjoyable part of my job. The reaction people give me each year.
Pros
meeting different people, benefits, schedules
Cons
not enough full time workers, pay, raises, keeping staff
Very bad place to work
Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 4, 2016
Very bad management there at the hospital. Managers dating other managers in the same dept. its very sad to see a workplace go down hill.

Want to know more about Onslow Memorial Hospital?

Ask a question
The Pediatric Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 6, 2015
I realized during my time here I thoroughly enjoy working with pediatric patients, new mothers, and their families. I love what I do and want to continue my career in this field.

My coworkers in my department are wonderful and help each other out regularly whether it be to assist a patient to the bathroom or helping start an IV on a pediatric patient. We all take pride and enjoy what we do.

The hardest part of this job is having to float to other departments during periods of low census in our unit, especially to areas we are not experienced in such as the Emergency Department or Telemetry.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to facilitate getting these pediatric clients better and making them smile or laugh when they feel their worst. And just knowing they may not like the things I have to do, but I know it is making them better.
Teamwork
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working within this pharmacy department. The pharmacy staff worked together on tasks regardless of their title. I like how everyone had the same thing expected of them as soon as they walk through the door, patient care. I learned how to do IV admixture here and very much enjoyed it. I was a narcotics and IV technician among other tasks.
Pros
iv admixture certification, co-workers, narcotic technician
Cons
pay and raises
An Excellent Team
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 5, 2015
Excellent collaboration between departments and specialties and teamwork within my unit.
Challenging patient assignments allow nurses to learn and grow through on-the-job experience.
Overtime opportunities are usually available to those looking to make extra money.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 18, 2015
Onslow over all was a good place to work. The hospital was improving while I was there. New doctors where starting to arrive which meant that new therapies and education was starting to be used. I had fun while working here and would go back if I still lived in the area.
great for internship
Discharge Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  jacksonville, NCApril 16, 2015
This department was a good place for my internship for my field practicum during my senior year of college. I learned a great deal about human services. The Onslow Memorial family is one I will miss now that my internship is over.
very educational and stayed up to date on medical terms
Nursing Assistant I & II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 25, 2014
typical day was helping patients that needed you..
all ways learning new skills / terminology
management was 50% available when you needed them.
having a patient that you have gotten to know and coming to work and they have expired.
Seeing the patient go home happy and not hurting.
Pros
had good programs for employees
Cons
sometime there was no way to take a brake and getting in trouble for it
Need improvement
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  TelemetryFebruary 28, 2015
My coworkers were great. My problems were with management. I think they should actually take the time and talk to the employee and not at them. Everyone deserves to be respected.
Pros
employee discounts and an on site cafeteria
Cons
poor management and overworked and not enough staff
Productive great place to work an learn
HIM Outpatient Coding Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 29, 2013
Typical day would be to sign for daily emergency room records sent over then provide the money needed to close out the month to the coding supervisor. Then I would begin coding emergency room records. I also assisted the billing department if a patients had questions or concerns in regard to their bill and codes provided to the insurance company. My co-workers were great and willing to teach if there was a record that was unclear.
Pros
great place all round
Cons
there are no cons
A smile after the storm:
C.N.A. / Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 5, 2013
Working in a small community hospitals, daily activites generally include vitals, daily living such as bathing and toileting I/O's and . critical care for telementry and imcu patients. The best part of my day is when there is pt. who is unable to do for themselves and a simple bath or nail polish brightens there day. I work 11p-7a and my coworkers and I have an understanding of teamwork and time profenicy along with pt awareness. I love my coworkers. The hardest part is when a pt expires. It hold heavy on our sholders but it is part of what we do.
Pros
execellent benifits
Cons
in a raise freeze
Could not stand it
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 20, 2012
The pay here is a joke. Management does not care about you, only about themselves, and the higher end. They keep taking raises away from people who already don't make anything. "TEAM WORK" is a joke! It's a childish and non caring place to work. They don't care about their patients. It's dirty. The ONLY thing worth it there is the benefits package. The insurance is great. And depending what department you work, the coworkers can be great. Overall, it's a waste of time and a bad career move.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
everything

Onslow Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location