Onslow Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Busy ED, well staffed
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at OMH is fast paced, a wide variety of patients and complaints are seen, and a broad spectrum of skills are usually utilized. I've received education from the clinical coordinators here that have made me feel more competent and well rounded regarding IV drips and management of the critical patient. Co-workers here are some of the best, most passionate and caring, highly skilled individuals I've ever had the pleasure of working with. It can be very difficult at times to manage the fast pace flow due to the high acuity of the majority of patients you see. I enjoy the interaction between other staff members and myself, along with feeling like I learn something new everyday that makes me a better nurse.
Friendly community hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 14, 2016
I have enjoyed the challenge of working at OMH for twenty one years, specifically the leadership roles I have been afforded. Overall, the work environment is pleasant and leadership fair. Benefits are competative with surrounding hospitals.
Pros
PTO
Er
Emergency Clinical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 28, 2015
Typical Emergency Department. You see different walks of life every day. It is a fast paced environment and it will always keep you on your toes. The employees for the Emergency Department are and exception to the rule when it comes to patient care.
My Summary of a Unit Secertary
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 12, 2016
My typical day at my job is making sure the patients have order their meals, taking orders from all the doctors and nurses. Letting the nurses know that a patient or family member is needing something, answering all phones which can be three at one time, fixing charts, breaking down charts and fixing package envelopes for patient going to other facilities outside the hospital.
I have learned that if a patient is having a mental problem not to get upset so much or if one decease.
Watching my co-workers work with the patient amazes me. The patent they have and understanding the needs, the comfort some do for the family members. I have seen them collect money for some patients who need medicine. The staff is a hard working group.
The hardest part of my job is when to let go of my work in order for me to go home. I want to succeed in my daily job for the day.
Relay for Life is the enjoyable part of my job. The reaction people give me each year.
Pros
meeting different people, benefits, schedules
Cons
not enough full time workers, pay, raises, keeping staff
Helping others.
CNA 2 (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NC 28546May 6, 2016
Short work day. I learned how to do EKG'S. Management was good..Good co-worker . Not a thing. Helping other's get better. Seeing all the new babies.
Very bad place to work
Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 4, 2016
Very bad management there at the hospital. Managers dating other managers in the same dept. its very sad to see a workplace go down hill.
The Pediatric Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 6, 2015
I realized during my time here I thoroughly enjoy working with pediatric patients, new mothers, and their families. I love what I do and want to continue my career in this field.

My coworkers in my department are wonderful and help each other out regularly whether it be to assist a patient to the bathroom or helping start an IV on a pediatric patient. We all take pride and enjoy what we do.

The hardest part of this job is having to float to other departments during periods of low census in our unit, especially to areas we are not experienced in such as the Emergency Department or Telemetry.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to facilitate getting these pediatric clients better and making them smile or laugh when they feel their worst. And just knowing they may not like the things I have to do, but I know it is making them better.
An Excellent Team
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 5, 2015
Excellent collaboration between departments and specialties and teamwork within my unit.
Challenging patient assignments allow nurses to learn and grow through on-the-job experience.
Overtime opportunities are usually available to those looking to make extra money.
Teamwork
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working within this pharmacy department. The pharmacy staff worked together on tasks regardless of their title. I like how everyone had the same thing expected of them as soon as they walk through the door, patient care. I learned how to do IV admixture here and very much enjoyed it. I was a narcotics and IV technician among other tasks.
Pros
iv admixture certification, co-workers, narcotic technician
Cons
pay and raises
great for internship
Discharge Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  jacksonville, NCApril 16, 2015
This department was a good place for my internship for my field practicum during my senior year of college. I learned a great deal about human services. The Onslow Memorial family is one I will miss now that my internship is over.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 18, 2015
Onslow over all was a good place to work. The hospital was improving while I was there. New doctors where starting to arrive which meant that new therapies and education was starting to be used. I had fun while working here and would go back if I still lived in the area.
Need improvement
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  TelemetryFebruary 28, 2015
My coworkers were great. My problems were with management. I think they should actually take the time and talk to the employee and not at them. Everyone deserves to be respected.
Pros
employee discounts and an on site cafeteria
Cons
poor management and overworked and not enough staff
very educational and stayed up to date on medical terms
Nursing Assistant I & II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 25, 2014
typical day was helping patients that needed you..
all ways learning new skills / terminology
management was 50% available when you needed them.
having a patient that you have gotten to know and coming to work and they have expired.
Seeing the patient go home happy and not hurting.
Pros
had good programs for employees
Cons
sometime there was no way to take a brake and getting in trouble for it
I hate this place....
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 29, 2015
The management sucks with no chance of advancement. They fired me because i was sick 4 times in a year instead of 3 that your allowed in one calendar year. that policy sucks. The hospital management team is racist.
Productive great place to work an learn
HIM Outpatient Coding Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 29, 2013
Typical day would be to sign for daily emergency room records sent over then provide the money needed to close out the month to the coding supervisor. Then I would begin coding emergency room records. I also assisted the billing department if a patients had questions or concerns in regard to their bill and codes provided to the insurance company. My co-workers were great and willing to teach if there was a record that was unclear.
Pros
great place all round
Cons
there are no cons
I enjoy working with patients and my fellow employees. I love helping people and have always enjoyed working in the medical field
CLAIMS ANALYSIS (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 30, 2013
I have great co-workers and feel that we have become a strong group of team players. We have worked very hard over the last 6 months to accomplish a goal that was set by hospital administation. We help each other in our day to day job and I feel that not only have we done a great job but that we have done a great job for our patients.
Pros
heathcare insurance, 401k, vacation opportunity
Cons
not a lot of opportunity for growth
Could not stand it
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 20, 2012
The pay here is a joke. Management does not care about you, only about themselves, and the higher end. They keep taking raises away from people who already don't make anything. "TEAM WORK" is a joke! It's a childish and non caring place to work. They don't care about their patients. It's dirty. The ONLY thing worth it there is the benefits package. The insurance is great. And depending what department you work, the coworkers can be great. Overall, it's a waste of time and a bad career move.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
everything
A smile after the storm:
C.N.A. / Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 5, 2013
Working in a small community hospitals, daily activites generally include vitals, daily living such as bathing and toileting I/O's and . critical care for telementry and imcu patients. The best part of my day is when there is pt. who is unable to do for themselves and a simple bath or nail polish brightens there day. I work 11p-7a and my coworkers and I have an understanding of teamwork and time profenicy along with pt awareness. I love my coworkers. The hardest part is when a pt expires. It hold heavy on our sholders but it is part of what we do.
Pros
execellent benifits
Cons
in a raise freeze
Very organized, Great people
Student Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 6, 2014
As a student, I felt very welcome coming into this new environment. Everyone was very encouraging and I was able to learn many different things. I received plenty of positive feedback along with constructive criticism that I was able to apply and learn from.
Very pleasant and fun place to work.
HISTOLOGY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 4, 2013
My experience working at Onslow Memorial Hospital was a gift.
I enjoyed working with the management and made a life long friend
that I worked with daily. The hardest part of my job was when my
temporary position ended. I learned that the pathologist's I
worked with are professional, of high quality work, and efficient
work ethics.